Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

Devin McCourty 

Production12005: Redshirted. 2006: (13/0) 38 tackles, 1.5 TFL, .5 sack, 2 INT, 3 PBU, 1 FR. 2007: (13/13) 63 tackles, 1.5 TFL, .5 sack, 2 INT, 7 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF, 3 BK; 2 PR, 56 yards. 2008: (13/13) 57 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FR, 1 BK; 1 PR, 25 yards. 2009: (13/13) 80 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 1 INT, 10 PBU, 1 FF, 3 BK; 2 PR, 21 yards; 14 KR, 356 yards (25.4 avg.), 1 TD. First team All-Big East.
    Height-Weight-Speed2Possesses average height with a thinly built frame. Top-end speed is a step below elite.
    Durability1Durability is not a concern. Missed most of St. Petersburg Bowl this past season after suffering an eye injury during the first quarter, however, has not missed a start during his final three seasons (39 consecutive).
    Intangibles2Extremely hard worker on and off the field. Brings added value in multiple facets of the special teams department and has blocked seven punts throughout career.
    1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Cornerback Specific Traits

Fluidity2A quick-twitch, smooth athlete. Displays loose hips and shows an easy change of direction. Can turn and run with receivers when lined up in press coverage.
    Closing Burst3Shows a good short-area-burst and closes well when ball is in front of him. Technique needs refined and can be too quick flipping hips out of backpedal. Displays extra gear to recover once initially beaten.
    Ball Skills2Overall ball skills are above-average. Tracks the ball well and is aggressive attacking it. Shows ability to separate receiver and ball without drawing pass interference flag. Limited size and can be pushed around by bigger and more physical receivers in jump ball situations.
    Instincts/Mental Toughness2Seasoned and savvy. Understands routes concepts and get into proper position in zone coverage. Flashes anticipation in man-coverage but needs to show more consistency in this area. Plays bigger than size suggests. Displays good short-term memory to move on once beaten.
    Run Support1Willing and active in run support. Sound overall tackler. Does not have a lot of ammunition in holster but not afraid to throw weight around when filling on the perimeter. Does a good job of anticipating and is effective going down low to knock bigger ball carriers off feet. Uses hands well to disengage from blocks by can be controlled by bigger receivers on occasion
    From Scouts, Inc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Actually, its a shrewd move on BB's part.  The concensus was that there is a sharp drop in talent after the top 5 CB's while there is more depth in LB's and DL (and possiblly not much difference in ability).  Notice that all 5 of the top CB's were taken in the first round?  Obviously, other GM's felt it was necessary to grab a top level CB while they were available.  BB can now concentrate on the pass rush in the second round.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncpatriotfan. Show ncpatriotfan's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    I would like to thank the Pats for trading us the best receiver in the draft & helping to move past the Roy Williams fiasco. Which would you rather have, Romo, Felix Jones, Marion Barber III, Witten, Myles Austin & Dez Bryant or Brady, Moss ( in last year ), Sam Aikin, Torry Holt, TE = ?, Moroney & Faulk ?
    Posted by beantowncwbyfan
    Just having Brady over Romo, means I'll take the Patriots. Romo, couldn't carry Brady's jock.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I would like to thank the Pats for trading us the best receiver in the draft & helping to move past the Roy Williams fiasco. Which would you rather have, Romo, Felix Jones, Marion Barber III, Witten, Myles Austin & Dez Bryant or Brady, Moss ( in last year ), Sam Aikin, Torry Holt, TE = ?, Moroney & Faulk ?

I'd rather have just Brady than all of those players....and I don't deny that Bryant is a fantastic talent, Jerry and his ego got their wish

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snomanak. Show snomanak's posts

I have to agree, I know I was/am very disappointed with the pick  because there were so many other media favored players still available.   Think about this though, how many times has BB beaten the so called experts.  Colts will win, Chargers will win, Steelers by 20+, on an on.  Come on guys how many times have you been disgusted with the media experts, and BB proved them wrong.  I know this pick seems so off, but darn it I am not a winning NFL coach.  32 first rounders were picked tonight.  Lets see how many the experts got right vs wrong.  Come on Devin, don't disappoint, Come on BB trade up and get Kindle!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Actually, its a shrewd move on BB's part.  The concensus was that there is a sharp drop in talent after the top 5 CB's while there is more depth in LB's and DL (and possiblly not much difference in ability).  Notice that all 5 of the top CB's were taken in the first round?  Obviously, other GM's felt it was necessary to grab a top level CB while they were available.  BB can now concentrate on the pass rush in the second round.
    Posted by sfpat

agree

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This is BUFFOONERY~~~~~~~~ EL CHEAPO ~~~~~~~ BUFFOONERY The Regign of BELA BUM is over~~~~~~ Sell your season tickets now ~~~~~~~ The JETS fans will sell out the Pats stadium ~~~~~~ coming to watch them kicka$$ ~~~~~~ Shame on the KRAFTS
    Posted by Gosh

~~~You're an idiot~~~

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

I hate this pick, I can't bash the player cause I don't know much of him, but it's a terrible pick.  We probably could've got this guy with our first 2nd rounder.  I'd feel much better if we got Dez Bryant followed by McCourty in the 2nd at some point.  I can't stand the "In Bill We Trust" crap, he's made far too many mistakes the last few years to continuously get free passes.  He screwed up, again.  It's getting old...especially when the rest of the AFC East (minus Buffalo) is seemingly getting better (drastically?). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's a case of the casual Pat's fan not being familiar with the player, the natural reaction is to question the move and put down BB and his personnel staff.

Kid fits their defensive scheme perfectly, smart kid (academic all conference) good quickness in and out of his breaks, good lateral agility/explosion, great straight line speed, good awareness and instincts in coverage, good toughness/physicality against the run, projects as an ideal zone CB.  Not to mention his ability on ST, where BB historically plays his starters.

The NFL is trending towards a predominantly passing league, to counter teams need better DB's, specifically CB' to match up against 3 receiver sets.

Good pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinniSoxFan. Show MinniSoxFan's posts

We passed on McCoy! We passed on Claussen! We have no idea what we would do if Tommy goes down again! What a disgrace...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFan27. Show PatsFan27's posts

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm hoping for a better 2nd round tomorrow.

Jets got a better CB in Kyle Wilson lol. sad. this draft is a nightmare so far. Pats pick Mccourty and you hear "NE gets a solid special teams player", two picks later Jets take Kyle Wilson and unanymously everyone "loves this guy".
    Posted by ricky12684

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

It's a case of the casual Pat's fan not being familiar with the player, the natural reaction is to question the move and put down BB and his personnel staff. Kid fits their defensive scheme perfectly, smart kid (academic all conference) good quickness in and out of his breaks, good lateral agility/explosion, great straight line speed, good awareness and instincts in coverage, good toughness/physicality against the run, projects as an ideal zone CB.  Not to mention his ability on ST, where BB historically plays his starters. The NFL is trending towards a predominantly passing league, to counter teams need better DB's, specifically CB' to match up against 3 receiver sets. Good pick.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

thanks for showing up mb... lots of doom and gloom in here... im with you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

BB just said in his press conference that this pick was based on the fact that this guy can contribute on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th down. so he is confirming that we got a back up and special teams player as a first round pick. wow i feel much better now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from imaslacker77. Show imaslacker77's posts

I stayed up late to watch the Pats make this ridiculous pick?? Guess that means we're picking a safety or two in the 2nd round because the pass rushers don't fit their "type". We're well on our way to 3rd place next year.

The Pats had an unbelievable run for a long time but I honestly believe it's over now. Time to hire a GM!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

watch McCourty be the next Revis lol. 

we don't miss on 1st round defensive players.  i am dissapointed that Bryant isnt a Patriot. 

but in the past:
    Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Mayo, Meriweather.  All 1st round Pats defense.  with this rate of success, i will not bet against McCourty. 

we have plenty of picks to fix the pass rush.  besides i believe we will be trading for an all pro tommorow or even tonight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Somebody mentioned that Mel Kiper never heard of Devin McCourtey. That simply is untrue. According to Kiper, McCourtey is the 3rd best CB in the draft. He stands 5'11", weighs 191 lbs, and was clocked at 4.42 40 speed...the fastest of his top 10 CBs. McCourtey was 1st team all Big East. Though not necessarily a ball hawk, he's a tackling machine, and a master at blocking punts.

Kiper goes on to say, "McCourtey...is a highly skilled, steady, and consistent. (His) ball skills are good, (but) not great. He shows excellent anticipation and awareness, and competes hard at all times.Will support the run, while being a very good open field tackler. He is an outstanding asset on special teams, both in the return game, and as a punt blocker, and outside gunner. He is a solid, reliable, hard workingplayer with great character, and showed early round ability during his four year at Rutgers.

From OurLads Scouting: Rated McCourtey the 2nd best CB in the draft...stating: 

"Three year starter. Good athletic ability and finish speed. Fluid hips...can turn and run. Active in run support. Can stick his foot in the ground and drive quickly on the ball in front of him. Shorter than ideal, but can leap, and has good timing. Plays smart and aggressive. Good recognition and reaction to run/pass. Instinctive with good anticipation. Thinks on his feet and can make quick adjustments. Quick reactions to play off blocks and wrap tackle. Productive in his play.  Has 245 career tackles, but has only four (4) interceptions...so question his ball skills at times. Good foot quickness and burst.Consistent, durable, and reliable in his play. Will contribute on all special teams. Had seven (7) blocked kicks and plays gunner on punt coverage. He also returned a kickoff for a TD against UConn. Stats in 2009 include 80 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, one pick, and 10 passes broken up.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from airrick16. Show airrick16's posts

should have taken kindel, sergio

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Are you frigging kidding me? I don't care who it is, but no corner is going to be effective without a pash rush. You cannot cover receivers forever. Kindle, Hughes, Griffen all available...unfreaking believable...another smurf.
    Posted by sml1210

The pass rushers in this draft were overrated. The fact that Kindle and Griffen are still waiting for their phone calls and Hughes wasn't taken until 31, should tell you something.

The Pats could use another CB and McCourty is a top tier CB who can actually tackle! Moreover, he is physical enough to move to free safety which is needed in case Meriweather gets hurt. Chung, Sanders, and McGowan are run safeties. Oh, and playing on Teams is always a good thing.

This was a solid pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ballyhaunis. Show Ballyhaunis's posts

It's just as well. Refusing to address a feeble pass rush means we'll need plenty of help in the defensive backfield.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : thanks for showing up mb... lots of doom and gloom in here... im with you.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Ha, no prob, this is kind comical.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Go to NFL.com look up stats for 2009 season Romo vs Brady look VERY carefully I think you'll be surprised !

Brady was also comming off an injury that ruined the careers of Carson Palmer and Dante Culpepper. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adjd. Show adjd's posts

Before you all crucify BB on the pick, please consider:
    1) McCourty is listed as the 2nd or 3rd best corner by many analysts. Excellent speed, average to slightly above average size.
    2) The Jets probably would have been real happy to grab him since they also took a corner after the Pats pick. 
    3) When opponents put out 3 and 4 receiver sets, McCourty will definitely help.
    4) Pats fans (including me) had the Kindle/Hughes/Odrick trio rated too high. Notice no other teams bit on Odrick till Miami picking late, and Hughes went on the next to last pick, while Kindle is still out there. If they were THAT good, they would have been taken a lot earlier by a lot of other teams. Even defense first teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore passed.
    5) We now have a pick in the 3rd round at #90. And, don't be surprised if BB moves up in the 3rd.
    6) For those that wanted a receiver, receivers have the highest percentage of being busts---Chad Jackson, D. Terrell, K, Robinson, C. Rogers, etc, etc. 
    7) Let's see how round 2 goes before we pass judgement.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

WHO? I can't believe it. I just heard one of the commentators say he could be a great special teams guy! Whoa just what we needed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncpatriotfan. Show ncpatriotfan's posts

Anyone trying to say Tony Romo is close to Tom Brady in skills and success is crazy. Remember the word SUCCESS, because skills can be misleading when you don't have the head to use them, and that is Romo's problem (Headcase).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

should have taken kindel, sergio
    Posted by airrick16

Next Team Meeting:

BB: Leigh, Darius, Jonathon, Patrick, Brandon, I have good news and bad news for you guys.

The Good News, meet our new CB, Devin.

The Bad News, be prepared for another year of covering receivers for 7, 8,maybe 9 seconds .....

I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but holy cr@p, we pass up on Sergio and Hughes; AND Dez and Golden Tate, for another micro CB. I just don't get it. Tommy is not getting any younger. The Pats are going to need a a miracle tomorrow in order to compete for the Division title this season.

Sections
Shortcuts