Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    Before you all crucify BB on the pick, please consider: 1) McCourty is listed as the 2nd or 3rd best corner by many analysts. Excellent speed, average to slightly above average size. 2) The Jets probably would have been real happy to grab him since they also took a corner after the Pats pick.  3) When opponents put out 3 and 4 receiver sets, McCourty will definitely help. 4) Pats fans (including me) had the Kindle/Hughes/Odrick trio rated too high. Notice no other teams bit on Odrick till Miami picking late, and Hughes went on the next to last pick, while Kindle is still out there. If they were THAT good, they would have been taken a lot earlier by a lot of other teams. Even defense first teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore passed. 5) We now have a pick in the 3rd round at #90. And, don't be surprised if BB moves up in the 3rd. 6) For those that wanted a receiver, receivers have the highest percentage of being busts---Chad Jackson, D. Terrell, K, Robinson, C. Rogers, etc, etc.  7) Let's see how round 2 goes before we pass judgement.
    Posted by adjd

Great post!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

More news on McCourty:

"In his last 39 games, the opposition managed to complete just 35.20 percent of the passes thrown into his area (88-of-250) for 684 yards and just two scores, as they averaged 7.77 yards per pass completion and 2.75 yards per pass attempt … During that span, McCourty defended 33 passes (six thefts, 27 deflections)?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

I was laughing when the Jags made their pick, thinking what a bunch of boneheads, they have no QB, no receivers, and they take a guy at 10 who was a consensus 2nd rounder.

I am not laughing anymore ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Before you all crucify BB on the pick, please consider: 1) McCourty is listed as the 2nd or 3rd best corner by many analysts. Excellent speed, average to slightly above average size. 2) The Jets probably would have been real happy to grab him since they also took a corner after the Pats pick.  3) When opponents put out 3 and 4 receiver sets, McCourty will definitely help. 4) Pats fans (including me) had the Kindle/Hughes/Odrick trio rated too high. Notice no other teams bit on Odrick till Miami picking late, and Hughes went on the next to last pick, while Kindle is still out there. If they were THAT good, they would have been taken a lot earlier by a lot of other teams. Even defense first teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore passed. 5) We now have a pick in the 3rd round at #90. And, don't be surprised if BB moves up in the 3rd. 6) For those that wanted a receiver, receivers have the highest percentage of being busts---Chad Jackson, D. Terrell, K, Robinson, C. Rogers, etc, etc.  7) Let's see how round 2 goes before we pass judgement.
    Posted by adjd

first of all, its far too early pass judgment on McCourty.  if he is the 3rd best corner in the draft, that means he should be a #1 CB one day. 

honestly, the book is still out of Chung and Butler.  we didnt really get to see much of them.  there were nice glimpses for sure. 

Im sure the pass rush help will come tommorow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i actually really really like this pick

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adjd. Show adjd's posts

I'm sorry but I'm getting real tired of the CB carosal after Samuel left. This guy is not going to take Bodden's or Butler's spot so we just spent a 1st on a ST player that wil play on occassion in nickle. I swear I saw an interview earlier with BB where he said that in the first he was looking for a player that would be a every down type not one that wil play a handful of times. This kid better average 35 yrds a return and get a td every other game on ST
    Posted by PatsEng

WAKE UP! Have you even watched an NFL football game? All teams use 3 and 4 receiver packages probably at least 50% of the time. McCourty will be used much more than "on occasion" as you say. To have a very good D backfield you need multiple corners that are very good. The point is McCourty wasn't drafted to take Bodden's or Butler's spot. He was drafted to improve our backfield defense when multiple receiver sets are used.  Same logic the Jets used---they already have Revis and Cromartie. The Jets didn't draft Wilson to replace either one of them either. They saw him as a way to defend multiple receiver sets. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

mb, to me, picking mcourty per se is not the issue. i have not doubt that mcourty would be a good addition. the issue is picking him where you could have addressed bigger needs that are harder to fill. mcourty would have been available in the second round. if bb really wanted him after picking up someone else at 22 or 24 or 27, and was concerned mcourty would not have been there at 44, he could have traded back up in the second.

i guess he could still trade up to target a pass rusher or ol or dl in the second if he wanted to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncpatriotfan. Show ncpatriotfan's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Brady had a tremendous run of success which only a fool would deny, but during all those years the AFC East was there for the taking. All three contenders no more of a threat than a seasick Somali pirate. But now the Jets appear to be the real deal making moves like crazy & trying to build on last years playoff run with the Dolphins not far behind with Parcells proven track record of building contenders. Also the Pats HAVE NO RUNNING GAME TO SPEAK OF. 3rd and 2 is NOT a passing down. Ask yourself who other than Wilfork is physically imposing to the opposing team. The Pats have become a very predictable finesse team that now must deal with some genuine competition in their own division !
    Posted by beantowncwbyfan
    What the hell does all this dribble have to do with Tom Brady being a better quarterback than Tony Romo. The Patriots were not the winning the East, the were AFC, and Superbowl champions. How many NFC or Superbowls has Tony Romo won. Again there is no comparision Brady is a HoF quarterback and the only way Tony Romo get in the HoF is by paying for admission.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

mb, to me, picking mcourty per se is not the issue. i have not doubt that mcourty would be a good addition. the issue is picking him where you could have addressed bigger needs that are harder to fill. mcourty would have been available in the second round. if bb really wanted him after picking up someone else at 22 or 24 or 27, and was concerned mcourty would not have been there at 44, he could have traded back up in the second. i guess he could still trade up to target a pass rusher or ol or dl in the second if he wanted to.
    Posted by seattlepat70

How do you know what the availibility of McCourty was?  I don't buy the "we could have filled bigger needs" argument.  Bigger needs according to who?  The fan base?

Clearly BB felt McCourty was a better player/value than any of the pass rushers available between 22 and 27.  His track record of drafting quality players in rd 1 speaks for itself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

why do people get so bent out of shape for our picks in the first round, when most picks out of the first round rarely turn out to be as good as their supposed to be. I agree we should have been addressing bigger holes, but this isn't the worst move. . . still a head scratcher though. This is why i don't bother watching draft day, i mean i might be jacked come next year but i am sure i will be disappointed again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefedsox. Show thefedsox's posts

I hate this pick.... but wait, maybe we do need a corner so get one. At least I won't have to see Wilhite on the field anymore. Maybe they can even cut him. Still to see your #1 pick on special teams all year, that is depressing. I think this type of thing is becoming all too common with the patriots.

They believe so few players really fit their system they end up picking similar players and it isnt working as well  as it once did. Of course, they shouldnt just gamble on a player that wont fit, but why not change the system so more players can contribute in their rookie year??

Going to a 4-3 for instance, and adding more DE's would have been an idea. They have Wilfork, Brace, Pryror and they could  have had 1 more. You also take the pressure off the LB's that way since we dont have a lot of accomplished ones except for Mayo (who will bounce back this year).

Otherwise how often are we going to see that funky 8 or 9 DB line up from last year...well it was fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ACJsparky. Show ACJsparky's posts

It is not the "fans" best pick. The second round will silence those maybe"fans". This is a deep draft and alot of pure talent is out there. I do not know the progress of last years picks, but the value of a college to NFL level player is not to be judged by a couch coach. Trust in BB because we could not "SEAL THE DEAL" before him!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

I don't understand why everyone is mad about this pick.

I saw this guy live against Uconn.  He took the opening kickoff for a TD.  The guy is SO SO fast.  Here is the vid of the return: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofunm6rbYBE

I will also add that the defense that day by Rutgers was superb.  Yes, it was Uconn,  but still, Rutgers picked off 3 passes that day, and I remember that everyone was covered at all times.

How can you say this guy will be bad.  He had very similar stats to Darrelle Revis, and comes out of the same conference.  In their final years at their respective universities, here are their stats:

Tackles           Interceptions           Forced Fumbles
    Revis:        39                       2                           0
    McCourty:  74                       1                           1

McCourty had an average of 25.4 yards per kick return in his senior campaign, as well as the TD I mentioned earlier.  Revis is 5' 11" and McCourty is 5' 10 3/4".  McCourty weighs 15 pounds less.

The both ran a 4.38 at the combine.

McCourty was supposed to go from late first round, early second round.

So why again does everyone have it out for this guy?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : The pass rushers in this draft were overrated. The fact that Kindle and Griffen are still waiting for their phone calls and Hughes wasn't taken until 31, should tell you something. The Pats could use another CB and McCourty is a top tier CB who can actually tackle! Moreover, he is physical enough to move to free safety which is needed in case Meriweather gets hurt. Chung, Sanders, and McGowan are run safeties. Oh, and playing on Teams is always a good thing. This was a solid pick.
    Posted by CubanPete

Perhaps the wily 'ol sage of Havana has a point. We may all be over-reacting. Though CB was not a glaring position of need, McCourtey sounds like a tough, hard-nosed player. You-all remember...the type of player that the Patriots used to field. Lets' see how BB does tomorrow.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Belichick is an idiot-Pats need an explosive offensive player or a defensive lineman or at least a linebacker who can rush the qb, all we do is draft small db's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

Just as confused as everyone else at the pick.  At first.  Then of course looked up the analysis -- mayock, mcshay, rick gosselin -- and now I'm warming to the pick.  Secondary depth is so important now and this guy could be a No. 1 CB for us. We might look at our corners of butler and mccourty a year from now and say, "remember when we were worried  about our secondary?"

I like this pick.  Bill likes this pick.  Ergo: relax and trust us.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is a solid pick, haters need to back up...

This guy has Ty Law size and measurables, sure he didn't pick off a bunch of passes but it's the Big East for cripes sake... not exactly a pass happy conference.  Also this guys twin brother was drafted last season by the Titans and he played every game, starting two as a rookie; Fisher is a great judge of talent.

Just to keep some perspective Eugene Wilson had one INT in his final season at Illinois, lead the nation in broken up passes but went on to start on two superbowl winning teams for us.  This kid has upside with a 200 pound body and ability to play in cold weather; Bodden is only locked up for two seasons so this is a smart pick.

Tomorrow we will load up, the draft doesn't start for us until tomorrow... and college defensive ends converting to outside linebackers are easy to find compared to blue chip shut down corners.  Check the salaries of A+ corners compared to other positions...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phaktor1. Show Phaktor1's posts

I believe that this is a good pick; the AFC East is moving towards a wide open passing format for ALL teams. I will take this guy with Leigh Bodden and Darius Butler against the Jets anyday of the week. All of the teams in the division feature potentially explosive passing attacks...what good is getting a pass rusher if you cannot cover up down the field? Now they can match up and at least have a chance when they blitz rather than having Ellis Hobbs, Wheatley or the other nameless cornerback covering one on one. Now they can turn their attention to the pass rush, wide receiver and running back holes that are glaring on this team, while also drafting a wildcard player who can play multiple positions in any of the three phases of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I stood up earlier today (Western European Time) to see the result of the draft.
    Just before standing up I thought the Pats will pick a guy no one had them picking. And here you go: Devin McCourty?!?!?!?
    By trading down twice the Pats actually passed on the 2 best ranked WR of this draft (Thomas & Bryant).
    I hate them drafting another CB (not a position of need). So basically it means that there are not happy with their 2 startings CBs (Butler, Bodden) and needed an upgrade there. The past 2 drafts they have been investing high draft picks on CBs (Butler, Wheatley, Willhite). I hope the Pats won't turn into kind of the Lions drafting WRs years after years with the success we know...
    The first thing that stood out of the short description of McCourty was: "McCourty's twin brother Jason, was drafted by the Tennessee Titans last year in the sixth round and was a special teams contributor." Ho my god, in the draft of the ages they draft the twin of a special teamer who was drafted in the 6th round of one of the weakest draft in recent years. That's scary...
    It hurts to see Odrick going to the Phins one spot after McCourty.
    The only bright side, is that Kindle had no 1rst rnd grade among NFL teams and is still on the board...
    Still scratching my head and should have stayed in bed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I disagree, with a wide open passing format you need lots of pressure on the QB.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriothead22. Show Patriothead22's posts

I stood up earlier today (Western European Time) to see the result of the draft. Just before standing up I thought the Pats will pick a guy no one had them picking. And here you go: Devin McCourty?!?!?!? By trading down twice the Pats actually passed on the 2 best ranked WR of this draft (Thomas & Bryant). I hate them drafting another CB (not a position of need). So basically it means that there are not happy with their 2 startings CBs (Butler, Bodden) and needed an upgrade there. The past 2 drafts they have been investing high draft picks on CBs (Butler, Wheatley, Willhite). I hope the Pats won't turn into kind of the Lions drafting WRs years after years with the success we know... The first thing that stood out of the short description of McCourty was: "McCourty's twin brother Jason, was drafted by the Tennessee Titans last year in the sixth round and was a special teams contributor ." Ho my god, in the draft of the ages they draft the twin of a special teamer who was drafted in the 6th round of one of the weakest draft in recent years. That's scary... It hurts to see Odrick going to the Phins one spot after McCourty. The only bright side, is that Kindle had no 1rst rnd grade among NFL teams and is still on the board... Still scratching my head and should have stayed in bed.
    Posted by FrogLegs

I forgot that being a twin means that you are the same person as your twin.  I'm sure Marcus Griffin was the same player as Michael Griffin just because they were twins.  Michael was drafted in the mid first round and Marcus went undrafted.

Sometimes twins don't even play the same position, i.e. Tiki and Ronde Barber.

Sergio Kindle, in my opinion, is vastly overrated, especially amongst all of you guys.  Odrick, well, I haven't personally seen him play, but for the first round grade ESPN gives him, they still think he has average skills (Notably, against the run, pass rushing, his overall quickness, and his durability).  He has also flirted with the law before, another black mark on the prospect value.

Carlos Dunlap is still there, Everson Griffin is still there, Koa Misi is still there, Jermaine Cunningham, and Daryl Washington is also still there.

All of these players are nearly or just as good as Odrick and Kindle.  Oh, and btw, Kindle is still there too.

All of these great players, and most of the teams that draft before us in the 2nd, don't even need rush linebackers or DE's.  You can thank Jacksonville for taking mid second round talent @ 10th overall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : I forgot that being a twin means that you are the same person as your twin.  I'm sure Marcus Griffin was the same player as Michael Griffin just because they were twins.  Michael was drafted in the mid first round and Marcus went undrafted. Sometimes twins don't even play the same position, i.e. Tiki and Ronde Barber.
    Posted by Patriothead22

Well I don't know if comparing 2 twins is like comparing apples and oranges but at least twins should have roughly the same physical attributes. Regarding the mental sides (motivation, will, etc...) of it, I don't know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from btmboricua25. Show btmboricua25's posts

Well I did scratched my head about this one but there's no way I'm becoming a Jets fan, That's impossible, I hate them with a passion that is hard to explain lol but we need to remember that if it wasn't for BB we wouldn't have enjoyed those 3 superbowls(almost 4)sooooo IN BILL I TRUST!!!!!   PATS FAN FOREVER!!! Even if we are 0 and 16 next season(very unlikely)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : How do you know what the availibility of McCourty was?  I don't buy the "we could have filled bigger needs" argument.  Bigger needs according to who?  The fan base? Clearly BB felt McCourty was a better player/value than any of the pass rushers available between 22 and 27.  His track record of drafting quality players in rd 1 speaks for itself.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

okay, it's been a few hours and the knee jerk reaction has tapered off. also someone here provided a pretty good rationale of picking a cb early because the draft is less deep in cb than in other positons. definitely, there are still a few ol's and dl's. i don't necessarily buy that for olb but if they pick up kindle (i doubt he'll drop that far though), then fine. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mojobaggins. Show Mojobaggins's posts

Horrible pick.  They did not need to draft another Darius Butler.  They needed either an OLB, WR, TE or DE.

Sections
Shortcuts