Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

Could this thread have any more whining morons?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonal40. Show bostonal40's posts

Devin WHO ?  Just what we need, another "special teams player" in the FIRST ROUND???? 3rd place (behind Jets and Dolphins) here we come!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see what unknown and undiscovered gems we get in the 2nd round. Parcells and Fatso Ryan must be laughing it up waiting for BB's day to begin. Maybe I'll become a Raiders fan, nowhere to go but up!!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Ranked the number 24 player in the entire draft in Gosselin's top 100.  His college coach, Greg Schiano, describes him as someone who can play man to man, press and zone with equally above average to excellent (from a pro perspective) skill.  Schiano, by the way, was a defensive backs coach for the Bears. 

And to those who are screaming about us not drafting a pass rusher:  Who was left at 22 who met the Pats criteria as first round talent?  Surely, if you're being so critical, you know the players and how they fit the Pats criteria.  Oh, you don't know the Pats critiera?  I see.  So I guess you're basing the criticism on the lack of emotional satisifaction that results from drafting McCourty.  There's a box of Kleenex over there for you.  Help yourself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tangotwo. Show tangotwo's posts

I think BB has a special thing for CB's, He losses all perspectives on logic.  First Wheatley, then Willhite, then Butler...maybe he can draft a few more and corner the market....no pun intended.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KC20. Show KC20's posts

I am a Pats fan who lives 15 minutes from Rutgers Stadium.  I have seen McCourty play in person and on TV several times.  There is a lot to like about this kid.  He plays hard the entire game and he can intimidate.  He is definitely a physical presence on the field.  That being said, I was shocked the Pats took him in the first round.  He is not first round talent.  I figured he would go late 2nd or even 3rd round.  I am by no means an authority on evaluating players and I trust Belichick and his people know what they are doing but this seemed like a "stretch" considering the other needs of this team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpiece. Show greenpiece's posts

Chill out people. Kindle has a stress facture in the knee. Have you seen McCourty on tape? Monster pick. I want Toby Gerhart too. John Riggins clone. Also Corey Wooten. Screw Kindle. Underachiever too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I just love all the Jets fans pretending to be Pats fans. Proof positive even they don't believe the hype about their own team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I guess that it wouldn't be so bad, if their track record for choosing defensive backs weren't so horrible! If you can get an impact player at 22, 24 or 27 GET HIM!!!! Tom Brady deserves better!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

I didn't like this at first and I wonder why we pick players at positions where we have a lot of depth but he was rated number 24 overall and is a very good pick in general. Why we did not pick Hughes is a mystery however. But the next round is where we must now fill our holes. There are a lot of good players, Griffen, Tate, Gronkowski, Misi, Washington, Williams, Bowman and Sapp to name a few.

Check out this site for the top 100: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042110dnsponfldrafttop100.3f50970.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from creiner812. Show creiner812's posts

since 2004 the pats have used a philosphy of trading down quantity over quality and what hve they got...only 30% ofn their picks are still around. meanwhile the colts average 50%.  the pats have gone from elite to mediocre also rans.  If they had gone the other way they would have an elite CB, an elite pass rusher, an elitem tight end and another wide receiver who isyoung and can catch balls.  BB is collecting lower round draft picks instead of playmakers. Insanity is defined as repeating a mistake and expecting a different result.  meanwhile RK is smiling all the way to the bank.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty: You have to look ahead... He's a starter next year... they have picks to get a front 7 player... McCourty could be a skill player during his career in New England...
    I'm not saying he is garbage, but the point is that is not the major need of the team. There are very few corners that can shutdown a receiver without a pass rush, and this team is very weak in that area. Sitting back and doing nothing to improve it will not fix it.
    Posted by ncpatriotfan

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kingliar. Show kingliar's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    CBSSports has good things to say about McCourty: -------------------------------------------------------------------- Read & React: Reads receiver's body language to see if his man is the primary target. Quick to jump routes because he reads the quarterback well. Doesn't bite on stop-and-go routes. Supports the run quickly, even when the play is between the tackles or on the other side of the field. Man Coverage: Can press or play off effectively. Has fluid hips, transitions smoothly and stays low and is quick in his backpedal. Sticks to receivers on their routes, showing excellent change of direction. Plays more physically than you would expect for his size, using his hands to jam on the line and maintain contact downfield. Larger receivers will use their size to shield him from slants and crossing patterns. Zone Coverage: Should make a very good zone corner in the NFL. Good awareness, keeping one eye on the short receiver and another on any players trying to hit the hole behind him. Comes off his man to react to a ball in the air. Makes the easy interception, goes up to get the ball and has strong hands. Will freelance when no receiver lines up on his side, leaving his zone open. Closing/Recovery: Baits quarterbacks into throwing in his direction, closing very well when the ball is in front of him. Good plant and drive with body control. Takes the proper angle to the receiver. Lacks elite speed, but can recover quickly enough when picked on crossing or drag routes to make the tackle. Run Support: Very willing (and able) to support the run. Attacks running backs coming into his area, bringing them down with veracity. Holds up his man to force plays inside. Hustles across the field to plays on the opposite sideline. Tough player, but still lacks the size to consistently get off downfield blocks from larger receivers. Tackling: Wiry strong and solid in his tackling technique. Brings his hips and wraps ballcarriers when straight-on in his sights. Doesn't give up many yards after catch. Attacks screens, even after push off from larger receivers. Avoids blocks in the open field, usually wrapping a leg instead of cutting. Rarely misses completely, even against elusive runners. Should be one of the better special teams players in his class. Intangibles: Reliable veteran who loves to play the game. Took a leadership role in 2009 with Jason McCourty and safety Courtney Greene in the NFL. Very good student who made multiple Big East All-Academic teams. NFL Comparison: Ronde Barber, Buccaneers
    Posted by TheCommittee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

Zone Coverage? He better be able to cover man to man.
    that will be the end result this year.
    from the looks at the roster, who's aboard, this defense
    will evolve into a 46 defense. this team going to need corners to stick like glue.
    Belichick is going to bring the house from the front seven.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

since 2004 the pats have used a philosphy of trading down quantity over quality and what hve they got...only 30% ofn their picks are still around. meanwhile the colts average 50%.  the pats have gone from elite to mediocre also rans.  If they had gone the other way they would have an elite CB, an elite pass rusher, an elitem tight end and another wide receiver who isyoung and can catch balls.  BB is collecting lower round draft picks instead of playmakers. Insanity is defined as repeating a mistake and expecting a different result.  meanwhile RK is smiling all the way to the bank.
    Posted by creiner812

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Well said! I don't know what BB is trying to prove by ALWAYS trading down - even in the middle of RD 2. I guess he just doesn't like talent and wants trainable 'pets'

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I guess that it wouldn't be so bad, if their track record for choosing defensive backs weren't so horrible! If you can get an impact player at 22, 24 or 27 GET HIM!!!! Tom Brady deserves better!
    Posted by jozee76

They had a chance, to draft a guy who should have never fallen to 22 , a freak , a beast, Dez Bryant. I don't know if they were under either or what, they were probably in shock so they gave him to Dallas. This guy will be a super star in the NFL. Big , fast, great hands. Probably the best receiver to come out of the draft in four years and they passed. The day two drafts , Gronkowski, Spikes etc. they would have been there anyway, are great, but passing on Bryant , I can't believe it. Lets hope McCourty is the goods, because Bryant is. Had they not drafted Wheatly and Whilhite, they probably wouldn't have needed to draft another DB. To do what they were suppose to do. BB does have three rings, I guess that gives him the right to be an arrogant SOB
     The best defence is a great offence. The other team can't score when they don't have the football. Novel concept, I guess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : They had a chance, to draft a guy who should have never fallen to 22 , a freak , a beast, Dez Bryant. I don't know if they were under either or what, they were probably in shock so they gave him to Dallas. This guy will be a super star in the NFL. Big , fast, great hands. Probably the best receiver to come out of the draft in four years and they passed. The day two drafts , Gronkowski, Spikes etc. they would have been there anyway, are great, but passing on Bryant , I can't believe it. Lets hope McCourty is the goods, because Bryant is. Had they not drafted Wheatly and Whilhite, they probably wouldn't have needed to draft another DB. To do what they were suppose to do. BB does have three rings, I guess that gives him the right to be an arrogant SOB  The best defence is a great offence. The other team can't score when they don't have the football. Novel concept, I guess.
    Posted by aussiewill

And the best Offense is a Defense that can score and contribute.

It goes both ways.  And for the record it's clear that the dominant Super Bowl winning teams won with superb Defense and above average Offense.

Didn't you catch the Pats in the last Super Bowl?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : They had a chance, to draft a guy who should have never fallen to 22 , a freak , a beast, Dez Bryant. I don't know if they were under either or what, they were probably in shock so they gave him to Dallas. This guy will be a super star in the NFL. Big , fast, great hands. Probably the best receiver to come out of the draft in four years and they passed. The day two drafts , Gronkowski, Spikes etc. they would have been there anyway, are great, but passing on Bryant , I can't believe it. Lets hope McCourty is the goods, because Bryant is. Had they not drafted Wheatly and Whilhite, they probably wouldn't have needed to draft another DB. To do what they were suppose to do. BB does have three rings, I guess that gives him the right to be an arrogant SOB  The best defence is a great offence. The other team can't score when they don't have the football. Novel concept, I guess.
    Posted by aussiewill

And the best Offense is a Defense that can score and contribute.

It goes both ways.  And for the record it's clear that the dominant Super Bowl winning teams won with superb Defense and above average Offense.

Didn't you catch the Pats in the last Super Bowl?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

One interception at Rutgers last year???  This guy was third round material.  We should have taken Kindle, Hughes, or Dexter McCluster in the first.  Notice that McCluster was taken by BB's smarter buddy Scott Pioli at #4 of the second round - well ahead of BB's belated effort to pick the Ole Miss can't miss star.  That's ok - Faulk will play till he is 40.  How about Pats picking Ron (Sick Call) Golkowski at top of the second - he did not even suit up for AZ last year!!!  Don't like the GATOR S-IT we are eating too much of, either.  Spikes needs an electric wheelchair he is soooooo sloooow.  Too bad BB's protege in Denver is drinking the Kool-Aid, else we would have Tebow too!  Lets just foget about scouts next year and just draft all BB's buddies players from UFlorida!  What a talent evaluator.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

who drafts special team players with a first  round pick .How did the Ginn thing work out in Miami.
    Posted by bobgr8

Just because he plays on special teams doesn't mean he's merely a special teams guy.  He's a starting CB who also plays multiple roles on special teams.  That sounds like a pretty good football player to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I disagree, with a wide open passing format you need lots of pressure on the QB.  
    Posted by BradyMossFan

This is particularly true, I think, because all our division rivals have relatively young, developing quarterbacks. What you want to do with guys like that is throw a lot of different looks and a lot of pressure at them. But having said that, I am not as opposed to the McCourty pick right now as I was Thursday night.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Posted by creiner812

Yes having 1 1st and 3 2nds is so ooooo bad.  So we had a bad few years drafting, all teams do at some point.  Last year was good, this year looks good, we have 2 1st and 2 2nds next year with hopefully a cap.  Yeah, you are right, he is horrible.  If u like the colts drafts so much, be their fan!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from danmateus. Show danmateus's posts

Everyone needs to chill out!
    It's clear that most of the crybabies have formed their opinion from listening to too much talk radio.
    I will trust BB more so than Felger and Mazz.
    When the fans and media hate a draft then that's when I feel better about the picks because no one outside those draft rooms have a clue on what the REAL team needs are and how to scout players.
    Just because you cellar dwellers play alot of Maddon football doesn't make you an expert.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : How do you know what the availibility of McCourty was?  I don't buy the "we could have filled bigger needs" argument.  Bigger needs according to who?  The fan base? Clearly BB felt McCourty was a better player/value than any of the pass rushers available between 22 and 27.  His track record of drafting quality players in rd 1 speaks for itself. Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE Yes, according to the fans. The last time the patriots took the field the ravens ran wild on the pats (literally). they passed for less than 50 yards and still blew the pats out. Your trying to tell me that the patriots went away from that game thinking, "damn we really need a cb?" when Chad Henne gets 7 and 8 seconds to throw it doesn't take a front office executive to say "hey the pats needs a pass rush"
    Posted by jayydubb

Your mistake is assuming they draft based on the results of two games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

GuppyBladder?
    LouieNoMind?
    Looks like we have globestaffers posing as crybabies.

Sections
Shortcuts