Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

I am shocked to read all those harsh comments.  Prety crazy thread.  Glad you found it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

After the draft, people complained; same with Sea Bass.  They knew better...or did they?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chung25. Show chung25's posts

people even complained how chung was a bust too 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Not all interceptions are created equal.  Some are just plain lucky such as deflected passes or ones where the QB throws to nobody.  McCoutry however, has pulled off some absolute gems.  Some of his interceptions have come from playing absolutely perfect technique; no luck involved.  He's going to be a great CB.  He's pretty good already, just think a few years from now...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    [QUOTE]people even complained how chung was a bust too 
    Posted by chung25[/QUOTE]

I remember that quite well after last season.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

I think BB's approach to the draft makes a great deal of sense.  Yes, predicting whether a choice can make the transition under your tutelage is an imperfect science, not every pick works out.

But having the philosophy of drafting those who are solid football players, but not over-hyped by the media, BB had avoided overpaying over-hyped busts or having someone came in with a prima donna attitude. It was so much smarter to draft someone like Mankins, Vollmer, McCourty who came in with a chip on their shoulders and want to prove the experts wrong in overlooking or underrating them. I learned a while ago that I would stick with just doing my day job.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I will fully admit I was completely confused and didn't see this coming from McCourty at all. I'm extremely pleasently shocked and overly happy we got him now. This is why I sit on the couch and not helping on the bench : p

But for all you saying what fouls people were back in April I checked the posts and didn't see one of you praising the pick and saying how great this pick was at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 but being overly excited about fixing a major problem in the draft (pass rush) then thinking you got a relatively unknown CB after just resigning Bodden and seeing Butler develop (again the numbers in April looked much better then they do now) makes you a fool and a pink hat? But that's 20/20 and as of right now I wouldn't go back and trade McCourty for anyone though I find it hard to beleve peope wouldn't mind going back and trading Butler for Connor Barwin (even on IR this year he had a strong showing as a rook) or Everette Brown

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

HAHAHA.... I think we will see a lot of people not want to post again on this thread and admit how horribly wrong they were. Wrong wrong wrong.

Not sure why the 06-07 drafts were so bad. I think Pioli checked out. Pats organization has its mojo back with knowing who to draft.

I work 80 hours a week, plus I own a home. What the hell do I know if a draft pick is solid or not? All I know is that Cunningham, McCourty, Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Mesko in one draft is a helluva good draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I'll post again. Though I get ignored a lot as a know nothing, pink hat, koolaid drinker, I thought back then it was a good pick. I didn't know of McCourty when he was picked, but I do know how to read and researched him. As soon as I read he was good at bump & run I knew he would be a starter sooner rather than later.  Yes, our pass rush was horrible, and still could use an improvement in talent (if only Banta-Cain would set the edge instead of running by the ball carrier on his way to an empty handed QB). But like I said previously, if your cornerbacks are turning tail and running down field at the snap of the ball instead of covering the receiver, NO amount of pass rushing talent is going to get there before the ball comes out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I wouldn't call anyone a pink hat, but I would also say it's ridiculous to say 'they need a pass rusher NOW' without knowing the grades on the players available (which is what 99% of the people were doing). McCourty obviously had a higher grade than anyone else on the board per BB and Caserio, so you have to trust they know a little more than you or I. It's silly to post that 'this pick is awful' and mimic all the talking heads on ESPN because people kept saying he was primarily a ST player. You should know not to call a pick right after it's made!

Also, would you rather have Cunningham or Kindle or Hughes. I'd take Cunningham. The other top pass rushers were overrated. 

You don't need hindsight to not make a call based on incomplete info and exhibit some patience. 

[QUOTE]I will fully admit I was completely confused and didn't see this coming from McCourty at all. I'm extremely pleasently shocked and overly happy we got him now. This is why I sit on the couch and not helping on the bench : p But for all you saying what fouls people were back in April I checked the posts and didn't see one of you praising the pick and saying how great this pick was at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 but being overly excited about fixing a major problem in the draft (pass rush) then thinking you got a relatively unknown CB after just resigning Bodden and seeing Butler develop (again the numbers in April looked much better then they do now) makes you a fool and a pink hat? But that's 20/20 and as of right now I wouldn't go back and trade McCourty for anyone though I find it hard to beleve peope wouldn't mind going back and trading Butler for Connor Barwin (even on IR this year he had a strong showing as a rook) or Everette Brown
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't call anyone a pink hat, but I would also say it's ridiculous to say 'they need a pass rusher NOW' without knowing the grades on the players available (which is what 99% of the people were doing). McCourty obviously had a higher grade than anyone else on the board per BB and Caserio, so you have to trust they know a little more than you or I. It's silly to post that 'this pick is awful' and mimic all the talking heads on ESPN because people kept saying he was primarily a ST player. You should know not to call a pick right after it's made! Also, would you rather have Cunningham or Kindle or Hughes. I'd take Cunningham. The other top pass rushers were overrated.  You don't need hindsight to not make a call based on incomplete info and exhibit some patience.  In Response to Re: Devin McCourty :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

That's my point Rock, we as fans don't know the actually grades and have to rely on what others saw and scouting reports. For most the pass rush has been the biggest problem both this year and last while the secondary was steadily improving at the end of last year. You can't blame fans for getting upset and posting frustrations in the heat of the moment when they turned down the chance to get what was considered at the time 2 great pass rushers. That's like going back after a car accident, which paid for a brand new car, and listen to how you reacted at that moment. Of course there is going to be people upset and needing to vent, the forums are a great place for it too. So to repost this looking back and seeing how wrong we were is kind fun but some of these posters are acting like they knew right away how this was going to turn out and how much smarter they are then everyone else only 7 months after the fact.

With the Butler example I was trying to do a couple things. Reemphasize that hindsight is 20/20 and our past history of picking CB's, which was poor at the time. Given our history of CB's it's not unreasonable for those who only had scouting reports to read would be confused by the McCourty pick.

We should have all trusted in BB but even he doesn't get them all right so during the draft I never harp on people for getting frustrated over not getting a player they wanted or during the season if their player turned out to be a bust, right or wrong.

BTW in 09' I wanted Maualuga over Chung too, but now I would take Chung over Maualuga. Though I'm not sure if I'd rather have Matthews or the list of Butler, Tate, Edelman, and Gronk that is a hard choice truthfully right now, given the way Edelman is having trouble holding on to the ball, Tate can't seem to run routes, and Butler has been relocated to the 4th CB at times. But Gronk vs Matthews is a tough one, essentially given that our pass rush this season could have been Cuningham and Matthews at OLB with Spikes and Mayo ILB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Oh sure, it's fine to be upset but if you read some posts it's almost like people are enjoying torching the Pats based on what the talking heads were saying (which is complete crap most of the time bc the talking heads only spew out the consensus anyway). 

I guess I had faith that a first round pick in last years draft would make an immediate impact. I'm not surprised McC turned into an immediate starter and their best d back based on the Mankins pick (another 'dumb' pick). 

I also get peeved because some of the people calling for BB heads are the same ones who want Moss back next year. If it's not shiny or sexy, they don't consider a move good. That is NOT how this team operates. Regardless, the shiny moves (signing Peppers, drafting for need immediate regardless of value) often don't work. So you have part-time fans calling for BB's head based on what some moron at ESPN said (yes, Steve Young is a moron for some of his comments on the pats draft) and part-time fans ending their fandom based on one of the best picks BB has ever made. It's just silly.  

I'm also not saying 'Trust in BB'. They've made several bad picks based on measurables alone (Wheatley and Crable stand out), but the McC pick felt entirely different based on what I read (and based on the fact his brother, who wasn't as good at Devin, started the year before for the Titans).  

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : That's my point Rock, we as fans don't know the actually grades and have to rely on what others saw and scouting reports. For most the pass rush has been the biggest problem both this year and last while the secondary was steadily improving at the end of last year. You can't blame fans for getting upset and posting frustrations in the heat of the moment when they turned down the chance to get what was considered at the time 2 great pass rushers. That's like going back after a car accident, which paid for a brand new car, and listen to how you reacted at that moment. Of course there is going to be people upset and needing to vent, the forums are a great place for it too. So to repost this looking back and seeing how wrong we were is kind fun but some of these posters are acting like they knew right away how this was going to turn out and how much smarter they are then everyone else only 7 months after the fact. With the Butler example I was trying to do a couple things. Reemphasize that hindsight is 20/20 and our past history of picking CB's, which was poor at the time. Given our history of CB's it's not unreasonable for those who only had scouting reports to read would be confused by the McCourty pick. We should have all trusted in BB but even he doesn't get them all right so during the draft I never harp on people for getting frustrated over not getting a player they wanted or during the season if their player turned out to be a bust, right or wrong. BTW in 09' I wanted Maualuga over Chung too, but now I would take Chung over Maualuga. Though I'm not sure if I'd rather have Matthews or the list of Butler, Tate, Edelman, and Gronk that is a hard choice truthfully right now, given the way Edelman is having trouble holding on to the ball, Tate can't seem to run routes, and Butler has been relocated to the 4th CB at times. But Gronk vs Matthews is a tough one, essentially given that our pass rush this season could have been Cuningham and Matthews at OLB with Spikes and Mayo ILB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Another interesting stat abiut DMc. He has the 3rd most pass deflection in NFL at 17. #1 is Asante Samuel at 19. But if you look at the complete package, Dmc has 61 tackles to Asante's 23! Seems like we have an all round CB!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

[QUOTE]I will fully admit I was completely confused and didn't see this coming from McCourty at all. I'm extremely pleasently shocked and overly happy we got him now. This is why I sit on the couch and not helping on the bench : p But for all you saying what fouls people were back in April I checked the posts and didn't see one of you praising the pick and saying how great this pick was at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 but being overly excited about fixing a major problem in the draft (pass rush) then thinking you got a relatively unknown CB after just resigning Bodden and seeing Butler develop (again the numbers in April looked much better then they do now) makes you a fool and a pink hat? But that's 20/20 and as of right now I wouldn't go back and trade McCourty for anyone though I find it hard to beleve peope wouldn't mind going back and trading Butler for Connor Barwin (even on IR this year he had a strong showing as a rook) or Everette Brown

I did, check page 3:)..

This thread was an awesome read...hilarious!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Sorry page 4..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Fowler with the contract Bodden just got he'll be the #1 for some time to come. If anything McCourty and Butler will be battling for who's the nickle and who's the #2. Not what I was expecting

You where very unhappy with the pick 7 months ago but have sure changed your tune. But at the same time even i didnt think he would develop to be this good this early, i thought they would work him in there and he would do some good things. Always thought he would be really good though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : You where very unhappy with the pick 7 months ago but have sure changed your tune. But at the same time even i didnt think he would develop to be this good this early, i thought they would work him in there and he would do some good things. Always thought he would be really good though.
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]

Well at least I was half right  lol. McCourty would have eenthe #2 if Bodden was healthy and Butler is now the nickel CB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Well at least I was half right  lol. McCourty would have eenthe #2 if Bodden was healthy and Butler is now the nickel CB

Realistcally though isnt playing the LCB the #1 corner, even if bodden was there(he plays RCB) MCcourty most likely still starts on the left so he really is still the #1 corner.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

wow.  i only got through 6 pages, but a lot of humble pie served up in this thread. nice job, sir P.
    not to call anyone out, bc hindsight is hindsight - and i too had my early questions with another CB pick - but this quote is funny:

"I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativity, but holy cr@p, we pass up on Sergio and Hughes; AND Dez and Golden Tate, for another micro CB. I just don't get it. Tommy is not getting any younger. The Pats are going to need a a miracle tomorrow in order to compete for the Division title this season."

I don't know about a miracle, but gronk, cunningham, spikes, hernandez and mesko turned out to be an acceptable 2nd day..."

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts