Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

Now Odrick would of been a good pick or Dez. If we're gonna reach get someone worth reaching for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoBS14. Show NoBS14's posts

WHAT THE F**K IS GOIN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Does this mean BB thinks Crable is ready? I thought they will take a OL guy or OLB here

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

i agree there is better value in the later rounds.so why waste a 1st rd pick on a nobody.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    i agree there is better value in the later rounds.so why waste a 1st rd pick on a nobody.
    Posted by mosseffectredux

Agree

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Vollmer, Butler, Chung in 2nd. Pryor and Edelman getting PT. One could argue that BB and Reese draft in 09 was better than any of Pioli's drafts the four years prior. You can't say its a deep draft than b--ch an moan when BB trades down for more picks......in a deep draft. Better value in 2nd.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

True. BB and Reisses' draft last year was great. I trust BB. This kid makes our secondary very deep. Hopefully we trade up and get Kindle or Hughes but I'm not too angry. A lot of scouting reports have McCourty as one of the best D backs in the draft. Can't wait until tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I really thought the Pats had done some good work, backing up and adding picks with a clear need guy in Kindle sitting right there for them and then . . .   this pick. This pick makes absolutely no sense. If the Pats don't address their need to put pressure on quarterbacks, it's not going to matter if this kid is the second coming of Deion Sanders -- which he ain't.

Of course, I'm not an NFL personnel guy. More than likely I have no idea what I'm talking about.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

.........But he was all Big East.Yell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

The more I think about it, the more I like it. With Holmes and Marshall in the division, we really need extra help in the secondary. I think we can still get the pass rush in the 2nd round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Patriots put too high of value on some of these players just because they are "great special teamers".  Instead of drafted a guy that is great at one thing like rushing the QB they take guys that are "pretty good" at several things, thats why they don't have many outstanding players on their team. 
    Posted by Wingman23

Wow. We pass on Dez, Hughes, Sergio and kyle wilson to take an unheard of, undersized special teamer in the first round. I've never been one to second guess BB but this pick makes me want to become a jets fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

more than anything else this underscores how disappointing Wheatley has been, clearly the staff has little confidence in him or Wilhite moving forwards....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Jets got a better CB in Kyle Wilson lol. sad. this draft is a nightmare so far. Pats pick Mccourty and you hear "NE gets a solid special teams player", two picks later Jets take Kyle Wilson and unanymously everyone "loves this guy".
    Posted by ricky12684

I was thinking the same thing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ponyoto. Show ponyoto's posts

All this wait for a dude with "potential'.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

alf - there's room on the colts bandwagon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwtime. Show dwtime's posts

The more I think about it, the more I like it. With Holmes and Marshall in the division, we really need extra help in the secondary. I think we can still get the pass rush in the 2nd round.
    Posted by jerh5

Put down the doobie man, this is a complete disaster and you think it was a good pick?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Relax everyone, I know we have a slew of all american armchair qb's here but take it easy. Amazing the 180 so many here have taken w/ Belichick. Guy only brought you a dynasty.

Pats definitely need help in the secondary regardless of what SI or espn or whoever says. Just look at how the dbacks were burned by elite qbs. I would think that there are bigger needs but I havent won any SBs so it doesnt really matter does it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

We had Dez Bryant in our grasps and we take thid guy???
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

Bryant is a knucklehead dude. Our locker room fell apart last year. BB wants blood sweat & tears guys.....Not me me me guys....Just the way it is!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

This kid has a lot of pressure to prove his worth.  I know nothing about NFL personnel stuff so for all I know McCourty is the next Ty Law.  Pats fans were expecting a name and as the Patriots do time and again they make the move that no one saw coming. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have some trust of Wes Bunting at NationalFootballPost.com  He had McCourty as pick #26 on his top thirty. 

The guy's not a smurf, he's 5'11", about 2 inches and 15 pounds over a typical Patriots smurf.  He can defend against the run. 

The pass rush is a hole to be filled, but BB still has four more picks for Friday in a deep draft. 

After oddball picks like Vollmer and Logan Mankins I'd tread lightly on this oddball pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Chris Canty 2.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Really though, I can't find any positive reactions to this pick.  We'll have to see how tomorrow goes, but for now we're all clearly confused by this move...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncpatriotfan. Show ncpatriotfan's posts

Relax everyone, I know we have a slew of all american armchair qb's here but take it easy. Amazing the 180 so many here have taken w/ Belichick. Guy only brought you a dynasty. Pats definitely need help in the secondary regardless of what SI or espn or whoever says. Just look at how the dbacks were burned by elite qbs. I would think that there are bigger needs but I havent won any SBs so it doesnt really matter does it.
    Posted by mattymcgee55

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Put down the doobie man, this is a complete disaster and you think it was a good pick?
    Posted by dwtime

I sure do

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

CBSSports has good things to say about McCourty:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Read & React: Reads receiver's body language to see if his man is the primary target. Quick to jump routes because he reads the quarterback well. Doesn't bite on stop-and-go routes. Supports the run quickly, even when the play is between the tackles or on the other side of the field.

Man Coverage: Can press or play off effectively. Has fluid hips, transitions smoothly and stays low and is quick in his backpedal. Sticks to receivers on their routes, showing excellent change of direction. Plays more physically than you would expect for his size, using his hands to jam on the line and maintain contact downfield. Larger receivers will use their size to shield him from slants and crossing patterns.

Zone Coverage: Should make a very good zone corner in the NFL. Good awareness, keeping one eye on the short receiver and another on any players trying to hit the hole behind him. Comes off his man to react to a ball in the air. Makes the easy interception, goes up to get the ball and has strong hands. Will freelance when no receiver lines up on his side, leaving his zone open.

Closing/Recovery: Baits quarterbacks into throwing in his direction, closing very well when the ball is in front of him. Good plant and drive with body control. Takes the proper angle to the receiver. Lacks elite speed, but can recover quickly enough when picked on crossing or drag routes to make the tackle.

Run Support: Very willing (and able) to support the run. Attacks running backs coming into his area, bringing them down with veracity. Holds up his man to force plays inside. Hustles across the field to plays on the opposite sideline. Tough player, but still lacks the size to consistently get off downfield blocks from larger receivers.

Tackling: Wiry strong and solid in his tackling technique. Brings his hips and wraps ballcarriers when straight-on in his sights. Doesn't give up many yards after catch. Attacks screens, even after push off from larger receivers. Avoids blocks in the open field, usually wrapping a leg instead of cutting. Rarely misses completely, even against elusive runners. Should be one of the better special teams players in his class.

Intangibles: Reliable veteran who loves to play the game. Took a leadership role in 2009 with Jason McCourty and safety Courtney Greene in the NFL. Very good student who made multiple Big East All-Academic teams.

NFL Comparison: Ronde Barber, Buccaneers