Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

In Response to Devin McCourty:
    [QUOTE]In April I hated the pick. Had nothing against the kid per say but wanted a Linebacker. Now I sit in front of the TV every week saying "Thank the Lord for Devin McCourty" He has potential Super Star written all over him. That's why Belichik is the Coach......and I make adhesives for a living.
    Posted by 183CLV[/QUOTE]

I think the majority of the fans had that same feeling when he was drafted.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

My apoligies to Bill as well. Kid is going to be a corner for years to come!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Really like him and a healthy Bodden next year. He'll get some DROY votes too. I used to think that Belichick was better at evaluating D-Line and LBs than he was evaluating DBs. Naturally he is proving me overwhelmingly wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

It Suh to have Suh come out in the same year, McCourty would otherwise win Defensive Rookie of the Year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

^^^ Not so fast.  The season continues and if he strings another 3 or 4 interceptions than I think he is right there.  He is arguable our best secondary player and is our best DB.  He is a close second to Suh in my opinion making a bigger contribution on a winning team that really needs him for their success to continue.  Suh is already a dominent lineman, but like i said Devin is right behind his heals at this point.  His two int's won this game.  Those were crucial.  Every week we say he should win if not for Suh, but devin has inceased his play every week, and if that continue going to next Mondays game then I think he is making his case. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It wasn't my pick, but I liked it. Then again, I think you can't have enough corners in the modern NFL and if NE spent a 1-3 rounder on a corner every other season I would be fine with it. I hope they do it again this year. Janoris Jenkins would look really good in a NE uniform.

As for McCourty, I think he is firmly in contention for DROY.

He has been nearly shutdown on his side, and if it weren't for him the CB crew here would be helpless. The best part is that he seems to be getting better each couple weeks. 

I think this defense would be markedly better had Bodden not gotten injured. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I was the same way. I was one of the guys that wanted Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes and was slightly disappointed with the pick. It's a good thing BB is running the team and I'm home watching.

He is in contention for DROY, but Suh will be the one to get it. He's a bigger name and all the yahoos will vote for him. Imo, McCourty and Wilfork are the two threads keeping the defense together, with Chung right behind them. If McCourty notches a few more picks he's definitely right there for DROY, and imo is the AFC rookie of the year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

The second coming of Ty Law

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Devin McCourty:
    [QUOTE]In April I hated the pick. Had nothing against the kid per say but wanted a Linebacker. Now I sit in front of the TV every week saying "Thank the Lord for Devin McCourty" He has potential Super Star written all over him. That's why Belichik is the Coach......and I make adhesives for a living.

Posted by 183CLV[/QUOTE]

My advice is to stick with the adhesive business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Devin McCourty : My advice is to stick with the adhesive business.
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : I see what you did there.

Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Somebody had to do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I didn't mind that he picked up McCourty, I did want a DE/OLB who could rush the passer but no one bowled me over enough to make me want to draft one at that spot.
    Also helped I had seen him play in person a few times over his college career and I loved his motor. Just seemed to always keep coming and didn't make a lot of mistakes... I remember thinking Belichick had drunk too much of his own kool-aid when he took Spikes... I liked Cunningham but Spikes I thought was a reach... I think he will develop into a nice ILB though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

He is looking like a great yound player, but lets not get too carried away because darius butler looked pretty darn good last year as well.Also the guys we all wanted instead of him sapp,kindle,hughes have not done so much this season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd say the difference McCourty vs Butler is fairly substantial. McCourty is as good a ball hawk or better and is a very solid tackler.Butler could be better suited to the nickel or dime.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

Its quickly getting to the point where teams are barely throwing in his direction

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I knew right away he was a great pick......................ok I didn't but I do trust Bill to do his job and like the first post I will stick to flying helicopters. LoL

Go Pats!

P.S. I thank the lord also!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Christopher Price capeleaguer

DMcCourty32
    played in 52 games and started 39 at Rutgers; he had just 6 career INTs. In 11 NFL games, he has 5 INTs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]capeleaguer DMcCourty32 played in 52 games and started 39 at Rutgers ; he had just 6 career INTs. In 11 NFL games, he has 5 INTs
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    well it better stay that way and not be a fluke

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : well it better stay that way and not be a fluke
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]

Coaching. There is nothing in comparison to NFL coaching and nothing like BB's coaching! McCourty is a much better Pro than college player because of his high football IQ and ability to learn quickly and adjust. Under this coaching, he is learning very fast.

def a DROY candidate.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

yup.   we'll love him until his contract is up.  then he's out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]yup.   we'll love him until his contract is up.  then he's out
    Posted by ssmilloy36[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, with Branch coming back and sharing his experiences and with the Moss fiasco do you really think McCourty is gonna take money over being with a great organization.  The FO will make him a fair offer and my money is on him taking it and staying.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]The second coming of Ty Law
    Posted by harleyroadking1[/QUOTE]

He reminds me more of Mike Haynes, and that's the highest praise I can give him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

What sealed the deal to draft McCourty was Belichick sat with him in the film room at Rutgers and Belichick was impressed with his knowledge....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The base salaries are minimum and guaranteed, starting with a $320,000 base salary and finishing with a $870,000 base salary in 2014. McCourty receives a $1.5 million signing bonus as well as a $680,000 roster bonus for 2010.  He also has a one-time play-time incentive of $1.54 million.  Like Dez Bryant and Rob Gronkowski, McCourty has a large option bonus due in 2011 for $3.38 million.  As Breer points out, the option bonus is essentially guaranteed, because should the team cut McCourty, they would owe him over five million for 2011.

So, if McCourty continues to improve next season (assuming they play football next year) - should the Patriots get a head start and renegotiate his contract after next year? The man isn't even in his "prime" yet. It'll only be at the end of his second year of a 5 year contract. If he stays healthy and becomes an impact player - the Patriots would; at the minimum, place a franchise tag on him.

I know it's really far away, I just figured....it's a while before the game vs. Jets.....lol. Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]He is looking like a great yound player, but lets not get too carried away because darius butler looked pretty darn good last year as well.Also the guys we all wanted instead of him sapp,kindle,hughes have not done so much this season
    Posted by Bspikes55[/QUOTE]

Big difference there.  Butler came on to play well last year.  McCourty has been in the lineup from day 1 and has played all but one snap on D.  These two guys aren't even on the same planet.  

Sections
Shortcuts