Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator

There is zero chance he comes here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I wouldn't have any issues with signing him. How would you manage to retain our current "coordinators"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Im sorry but theres just no need to start threads like this. What serious football fan wouldnt want LeBeau as their DC? What team wouldnt want him as their DC? I sorry but cmon whats the point of this? It goes w/out saying , yes every team in the league would want LeBeau. Next ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]Im sorry but theres just no need to start threads like this. What serious football fan wouldnt want LeBeau as their DC? What team wouldnt want him as their DC? I sorry but cmon whats the point of this? It goes w/out saying , yes every team in the league would want LeBeau. Next ...
    Posted by NOT2REGRET[/QUOTE]

Well, for example, there was this guy last offseason named Romeo Crennel, and he was a pretty darn good defensive coordinator back in the day who regularly had the Pats at the top of the league on defense and we didn't sign him.

We got a lot of turnovers, but when teams like the Jets didn't shoot themselves in the foot with dumb turnovers our defense was exposed because we were in the bottom 10 in red zone defense (like we have been for two or three years now) and we were DEAD LAST ON THIRD DOWN

So maybe it helps to draw some attention to the availability of a very competent defensive coordinator, lest we should elect not to hire one again

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

LeBeau's not coming here or going anywhere else. We're not even going to attempt to talk to him. You don't just scrap your entire defensive system and start a new one. It sets you back a few years in terms of getting new talent that fits your new system. Belichick drafted to fit his system and getting LeBeau nullifies that.

And as for Romeo, that issue always irks the crap out of me. The original poster is a Patriots fan and one of the more intelligent ones but what a lot of fans don't get is that it's almost never about JUST winning and x's/o's. With Romeo, Josh McDaniels, and Charlie Weiss, it's better to AVOID New England because if they succeed here (after failing elsewhere), people will quickly give Belichick the credit (and rightfully so). It's career suicide to come here and win. If they come here and fail, it's just as worse. They'll avoid New England like it's the plague because they have ego's, they have dreams as well. And they can't move their way up the ladder if they're always being overshadowed by Bill Belichick.

Belichick has no choice but to groom coaching talent internally. He has no choice. He can teach them while they're younger and impressionable, teach his system, and what he expects on and off the field. He'll just keep building new coordinators knowing that a) he can't scrap his system (a system that's been around for 3 decades and that had brought him 5 Super Bowls) and b) other teams will always be after his assistants and scouts.

And let's not lose sight here: we played well 90% of the time this season. Our defense, given what they were lacking in healthy bodies, experience and a pass rush, played decent. The offense scored at a ridiculous rate too. There's not much to THROW AWAY here people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Lebeau would not drastically change the Pats current defense unless he brings Polamalu, Woodley, Harrison, and Timmonns with him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB doesn't like his style of defense. BB likes to sit back and prevent, LeBeau likes to attack. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, really. That would be like Larry Bird leaving the C's and playing for the Lakers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

I've given it thought and LeBeau would be a great signing but again very unrealistic. I just want a great DC next to BB next season

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsboy3. Show Patsboy3's posts

In Response to Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]Apparently Dick LeBeau's contract as Pittsburgh's defensive coordinator is expiring at the end of this season. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6051213 If the Steelers don't retain him and he decides not to retire, the Patriots should move heaven and Earth to hire him as defensive coordinator.  His style of 3-4 is a little different from the Patriots', but clearly it's effective. Dick LeBeau might be the best defensive coordinator in football (orat least on a very short list, especially now that Leslie Frazier, Steve Spagnulo, and Rex Ryan are head coaches) and he's presided over Pittsburgh's defense that has regularly ranked in the top 10 in almost every statistical category (points, yards, running, sacks, turnovers) for the past decade. Sign Dick LeBeau!
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Good post, love the way you emphasis the urgency to bring this guy in by mentioning "moving heaven and earth" but the minute i saw that headline, I said to myself, I can't wait to see what the "in Bill we trust" Belicheck Kool Aid drinkers would say about that. And just as expected, a couple of them tell you that he wouldn't fit Belicheck's, "style of defense"...i mean what the phfuck, what have you fans freakin turned into now. It is dam near sickening to see how Pats fans are on Bill Belicheck's nutsacks like a premature hair follicle who refuses to grow. Here we are, having had one of the worst defense these part 3-4 years now, one that cost this team an untouchable record had they gone 19-0. Continues to get shtted on the following years after that and you mean to tell me you STILL wanna stay with that crap of defense. Belicheck is no longer a defensive Genius people, we've witnessed that since even 2006 when they let the Colts come back 21-3 to win it. It is a dam shame to have a QB like Tom Brady and having had an explosive offense like this for at least 2-3 years and they keep putting Garbage defensive players to assist him. That, along with a guy name Matt Patricia as DC or assistant to Belicheck on Defense.

As If Dick Lebeau turning that style around wouldn't be a bad thing. So what if he doesn't get it right the first year or 2, the man has years of experience, eventually things would shift. If they don't have the players, THEN BRING IN SOME PLAYERS.

This is what ive been saying about the Kool Aid Belicheck Drinkers, you keep thinking that this Stupid Patriots Way is so Vital that no other coaches can come in and do the job but then you see them go to another team and help them beat the sht out of the Patriots. I am sick of Belicheck in his stubborn and arrogant attitude of thinking he is the master at this game and that he can't work with others who would disagree with him so he fills his staff with a bunch of incompetent coach in training stiffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

In Response to Re: Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator : Good post, love the way you emphasis the urgency to bring this guy in by mentioning "moving heaven and earth" but the minute i saw that headline, I said to myself, I can't wait to see what the "in Bill we trust" Belicheck Kool Aid drinkers would say about that. And just as expected, a couple of them tell you that he wouldn't fit Belicheck's, "style of defense"...i mean what the phfuck, what have you fans freakin turned into now. It is dam near sickening to see how Pats fans are on Bill Belicheck's nutsacks like a premature hair follicle who refuses to grow. Here we are, having had one of the worst defense these part 3-4 years now, one that cost this team an untouchable record had they gone 19-0. Continues to get shtted on the following years after that and you mean to tell me you STILL wanna stay with that crap of defense. Belicheck is no longer a defensive Genius people, we've witnessed that since even 2006 when they let the Colts come back 21-3 to win it. It is a dam shame to have a QB like Tom Brady and having had an explosive offense like this for at least 2-3 years and they keep putting Garbage defensive players to assist him. That, along with a guy name Matt Patricia as DC or assistant to Belicheck on Defense. As If Dick Lebeau turning that style around wouldn't be a bad thing. So what if he doesn't get it right the first year or 2, the man has years of experience, eventually things would shift. If they don't have the players, THEN BRING IN SOME PLAYERS. This is what ive been saying about the Kool Aid Belicheck Drinkers, you keep thinking that this Stupid Patriots Way is so Vital that no other coaches can come in and do the job but then you see them go to another team and help them beat the sht out of the Patriots. I am sick of Belicheck in his stubborn and arrogant attitude of thinking he is the master at this game and that he can't work with others who would disagree with him so he fills his staff with a bunch of incompetent coach in training stiffs.
    Posted by Patsboy3[/QUOTE]

I hope your not referring to me, I want LeBeau here..but don't see it happening. Idk, we need somebody to compliment BB on the Coaching staff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

IF LeBeau left, it would be for a HC job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

not gonna happen, get over it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator : Well, for example, there was this guy last offseason named Romeo Crennel, and he was a pretty darn good defensive coordinator back in the day ...
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

didn't crennel move to a head coaching position? are you saying pats should offer lebeau bb's job. that's the only way you're going to him over to the pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Lebeau would not drastically change the Pats current defense unless he brings Polamalu, Woodley, Harrison, and Timmonns with him
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Capers was here and Pats still played BB's defense. Pats will never even think about LeBeau ...ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm just saying that if what we were doing was working, we wouldn't be ranked last or close-to-last in red zone defense, third down defense, and yardage

and the Pats aren't exactly stopping the big play as long as Butler can be targeted in the slot - it's not like our stellar pass rush will force the QB to throw...

And last I checked, the Steelers let more outside linebackers walk away in free agency than we've ever had (Mike Vrabel included) and clearly LeBeau knows what good, versatile, every-down outside linebackers look like to help us find one (finally)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

IF I recall correctly, Lebeau actually WOULD drastically alter NE's current Defensive Scheme under Belichick...  Here's How: 

Recall now, BOTH NE AND Pittsburgh are and Have Been pretty long-time employers of the 3-4 Defense... Same thing, right?  Wrong. 

NE uses a 3-4 system that's based on that long-originator of the first 3-4 D, called Fairbanks-Bulloughs, I think...  Think: Prevent, Prevent and even MORE Pre-Vent!  For the GREAT majority of the time, Standard 3-4 Rules Apply: 3 D-Lineman are attempting to go straight ahead and each take on/occupy as many O-Lineman as humanly possible; This'll free up the LBs to have time to best diagnose the direction the play's headed & make a play on the ball; You may give up the little yards against the run, but it'll be no big-deal; Greatest "Canopy Effect" against the pass;
         OVERALL: VERY safe & VERY calculated (like Belichick himself)...  Playin' the odds game: The Offense will scr#w up/get frustrated/fail to convert a 1st down, BEFORE they score, & all-the-while, The oppossing O, will NOT get some quick-score and/or won't get a big long-yardage play easily.

Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense:  Might even be nicknamed "Lebeau Style 3-4" (but I forget)... THINK: TOTALLY scr#w with the other team's head, so they have NO idea WhatTH's comin', or not comin', or from where, or not...or even IF you're playin' the same game.  Unless thing's have changed, this is a very attacking form of the 3-4 Defense...  'Burgh'll still use weakside OLB pass-rushes, and/or zone-blitzes (overcrowding 1 side of the O-Line with you're defenders, tryin' to overwhelm them when getting to the backfield on a pass-rush-OLB and DE on 1 side + now 1 of the 2 ILBs will skew & blitz on same side, + now that NT will also skew and shift to the same side=More Defenders than there are O-Lineman to block them), BUT what The 'Steel Love, and I mean LOVE to do (again, unless thing's have changed), Is...To...S-T-U-N-T; And I mean, scr#wy weird stunting--
    (At The Snap: Send the SILB moving across the front of the WILB and blitzing; Send the SOLB on the SILB's side going straight on; Then send the DE on the SOLB's side, and back him off so the SOLB's now charging like that DE, and actually send that DE out to cover the flat away from the LOS; Have that WILB shift over to cover the entire middle of the field like a 4-3 ILB, & b/c the SILB's blitzing on the other side; Back the final WOLB into pass-coverage w/ Safety help, and move the CB up to where that WOLB was staying near the LOS)...  
         OVERALL: Confused, right?  Good...that's the point.  It can or CanNOT come from anywhere, all the time.  Now, add in a good "Rover" @ The Safety spot (Polamalu), who's built like a LB but has the speed of a CB, and now you can not just confuse with your Front 7 guys, but mess w/ them a little in the Secondary too...

~Steelers=EVERY Defender better d#mn well KNOW each & every set Defensive Play in their playbook...
    ~Patriots=EVERY Defender better d#mn well KNOW each & every Offensive Play in the Other Team's playbook...         

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

This said......move Heaven & Earth to sign Lebeau.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]This said......move Heaven & Earth to sign Lebeau.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

It's funny because I know it's a different system and a shaky idea, but if I put a weak header, I'd net zero responses like most of my other posts

But if I propose wild and crazy sh#t with a strong header, everybody replies

Yes, I know it's a different defense, but it seems to work well for them and perhaps better than our defense in some respects.  The guy clearly knows what he's doing and he has a good eye for linebackers.  I wonder if the Pats couldn't make it work, albeit highly unlikely.

And blitzing doesn't always work - the Jets had a big gain on a Cotchery catch where he only had to make James Sanders miss; the Pats blitzed

We'll see.  I much prefer my breakdown of free agents and to draft picks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Tomlinson's success is based on the Rooney family's ability to have good front office people for the draft and that LeBeau is able to used the draft picks and have a top 3-5 defense every year. They do not sign any big named free agents to that defense.

On the defense the steelers could lose a few players and LeBeau would be needed keep the system in place and

The Rooney's will not let LeBeau go unless he wantned to pursue other interests.

The Steelers need to revamp their offensive line and maybe get a WR, RB or TE on the offensive side, but otherwise have a QB that has been to the SB 3x in the last 5 years or so... they are not perfect (I hope they lose to GB!) or elite, but they played well with out Ben and played better with him this year...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Gotta be extremely fun to play as a Steeler Player...  Imo, Reliant on a couple'a Key Factors:  #1 VERY Specific and VERY Designed Play per snap: Need guys to Absolutely KNOW their playbooks.  Cool, because IF every players's on same page, all this shifting & stunting right at the snap can create Both things very big open spaces that someone can exploit getting to the backfield, considering Everyone on Offense (here: O-Lineman), Are ideally always going to be guessing who's coming and from where (in a fraction of a second), AND likewise, by/when your best players are coming at different times from entirely different spots against the oppossing Offense, It can create extremely favorable matchups against the O (here again: O-Line...picture some stunt where the oppossing team's franchise Left Offensive Tackle is suddenly wasting his time blocking Pittsburgh's nickel Cornerback, while Steelers' best pass-rusher suddenly has a one-on-one matchup in pretty open-space against the oppossing O-Line's Right O-Guard).  #2 Thing ya need (and Steel has found this out when he's injured)-Imo, Is a freak Safety...and I mean STUD=Built like an LB, but runs like a deer, And one who has an extremely high football IQ and great instincts...1st Rd Pro-Bowler (here: Polamalu)...  Gotta be able to Totally diagnose where he feels the play going, Because he's not simply some hard-hitting SS supporting the run, or some great covering & last resort against a deep ball FS, but he's the ENTIRE Field's last resort & tactician.  Guy really HAS to KNOW If the specifically designed Defensive Play that the steel are running looks VERY bad as he's reading what he believes the offense is going to do per play (which is the drawback w/ steeler defense: The specific steeler designed play of some given play just MIGHT be the worst possible choice verses what the oppossing offense decides to run on that given snap):  Whole Defense is a card-gamble, and Polamalu has to be able to count the cards/know the other team's tells, As Good as possible.     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Interesting how Dom Capers was here for one year and moved on because there was no DC title available on BB's coaching staff. Unfortunately for the Patriots they couldn't keep Dom as he runs a variation of the Labeau 3-4. I don't know about all the rest of you guys but the bend don't break defense is borrish, and the only thing the prevent defense prevents is your teams chances of winning! Hey but I haven't coached one down of football so my personal opinion on the subject matter doesn't hold much weight. Crennel was a BB guy too bad he felt the urge to move on. Rob Ryan was also a strong BB guy but he to wished for a share of the limelight to no avail. What BB should do is bring Nick Saban and Urban Meyers up from the minor leagues and let them each run their sides of the ball Urban as OC and Nick as DC and he should also bring in Pat Hill as the Defensive Backfield coach though Corwin Brown did a great job this past season so maybe you leave Pat out in Fresno to work on the minor league system along with Ferentz out in Iowa,and Schianno down at Rutgers...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Do you guys ever read what you write. Did we not shred the Steelers in their house this year? Seams BB has their defense pretty well mastered. I don't think most of you would be happy with Pitt's record where in one year they make the play-offs the next year they miss completely. I admit Labeau is a great DC and he is the common thread with their success but it begs the question as to why no one has ever gone after him for a HC job. Out of all the things that have happen to the Pats because of their success the coaching and front office drain has to hurt the most. So if your BB you have to ask yourself why give anyone the tittle of OC or DC and with in a year or two they will be gone because another organization will think they can be as successful by hiring them or at the worst they can hope to make the Pats weaker. Has there been any other franchise that has had as much turnover in the coaching staff and the front office as the Pat's have had? Maybe one of the things they should look at is when these people are put in those roles that they are under contract for a specific time and other teams are not allowed to have any contact with them.     

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Dick LeBeau - move heaven and earth to hire him as defensive coordinator : Good post, love the way you emphasis the urgency to bring this guy in by mentioning "moving heaven and earth" but the minute i saw that headline, I said to myself, I can't wait to see what the "in Bill we trust" Belicheck Kool Aid drinkers would say about that. And just as expected, a couple of them tell you that he wouldn't fit Belicheck's, "style of defense"...i mean what the phfuck, what have you fans freakin turned into now. It is dam near sickening to see how Pats fans are on Bill Belicheck's nutsacks like a premature hair follicle who refuses to grow. Here we are, having had one of the worst defense these part 3-4 years now, one that cost this team an untouchable record had they gone 19-0. Continues to get shtted on the following years after that and you mean to tell me you STILL wanna stay with that crap of defense. Belicheck is no longer a defensive Genius people, we've witnessed that since even 2006 when they let the Colts come back 21-3 to win it. It is a dam shame to have a QB like Tom Brady and having had an explosive offense like this for at least 2-3 years and they keep putting Garbage defensive players to assist him. That, along with a guy name Matt Patricia as DC or assistant to Belicheck on Defense. As If Dick Lebeau turning that style around wouldn't be a bad thing. So what if he doesn't get it right the first year or 2, the man has years of experience, eventually things would shift. If they don't have the players, THEN BRING IN SOME PLAYERS. This is what ive been saying about the Kool Aid Belicheck Drinkers, you keep thinking that this Stupid Patriots Way is so Vital that no other coaches can come in and do the job but then you see them go to another team and help them beat the sht out of the Patriots. I am sick of Belicheck in his stubborn and arrogant attitude of thinking he is the master at this game and that he can't work with others who would disagree with him so he fills his staff with a bunch of incompetent coach in training stiffs.
    Posted by Patsboy3[/QUOTE]

You just make this stuff up.  When, in the last season, did you see the Steelers beat us up?  WHEN, FATBOY3?  Hmmmm?  Oh, that would be NEVER.  WE, in fact, guided by our "arrogant" Coach and his "incomptent in training stiffs" ROLLED Pittsburgh their AMAZING defense with ease.  If you are going to make an argument, THINK IT THROUGH FIRST.  Your incessant mindless babbling is distracting to those of us actually trying to fight, here.  It's like getting into a deep theological debate with someone, and his three year old keeps interrupting.
    Hush, now.  Let the big people talk.