Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way?

In bill i trust and i can agree with his reasong behind letting seymour go. but i think bill reverted back to his cold  dehumanizg approach in the way he let seymour go. this guy deserved to be told face to face, eye to eye by belichick himself. he deserved to be thanked properly as the news was sensitively broken to him. he deserved to be told that he was not actively shopped but that oakland made the approach and readily accepted terms the pats could not walk away from. he deserved some special love and appreciation! if you are tom brady or wilfork and you hold all the leverage at this point, y on earth when u see seymour being so crassly treated would you want to give this team a market discount? top guys working on their third and last deals deserve a little more gratitude and respect. is this how bill would like kraft to treat him someday? in milloy days, guys like brady were young pups. now they are a bit wiser and seasoned. this is not the way to maximize their loyalties in the long term!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way?

It is always a tough decision to cut loose the tie that binds.  Some here have commented on the play of Seymour this pre-season as not being indicative of a player who still has that drive to be a killer on the line.  Maybe BB saw the writing on the wall and is avoiding the inevitable "why did you keep him" like we see so often from Sox fans about Tek and Papi.  At least the Pats got value before the chink in the Seymour armor is revealed.  For Oakland, he is a big step up, for the Pats, it appears we have folks who can step right in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to Re: Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way?:
    It is always a tough decision to cut loose the tie that binds.  Some here have commented on the play of Seymour this pre-season as not being indicative of a player who still has that drive to be a killer on the line.  Maybe BB saw the writing on the wall and is avoiding the inevitable "why did you keep him" like we see so often from Sox fans about Tek and Papi.  At least the Pats got value before the chink in the Seymour armor is revealed.  For Oakland, he is a big step up, for the Pats, it appears we have folks who can step right in.
    Posted by agcsbill
    i agree with the trade. my beef is HOW it was done!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pochen23. Show pochen23's posts

I think it should be the other way around honestly. He has had history of holding out when not getting what he wants, and isn't going to accept hometown discount on his next contract, which clearly shows that he only cares about money. So there really isn't any loyalty on his part, so why should there be any the other way around? I think if he had gracefully taken a discount and got the extension done, this would not have happened. He didn't show that he wants to be here next year so they are simply sending him out a year earlier for the best value. It is business, and really there isn't a need for a face to face talk, which I am sure wouldn't have changed anything either way.

A guy who helps the team winning 3 SB, and was the important part of the team doesn't mean he is the nicest guy on earth. I am pretty sure he was treated the way he should be treated. BB usually gives ppl credit when credit is due, and there isn't anything to suggest that he went out of his way this time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbtrick. Show bbtrick's posts

i agree with pochen23.

seymour made his relationship with the patriots about the money and nothing else. he was in new england only because the patriots paid him enough money to be there. he gave absolutely no consideration to the patriots or even his teammates, it was simply get as much as possible. he was a hired hand, an employee and nothing more. therefore, no he didnt deserve any more considerations that he got in being traded.

quite simply, he used the team to get as much money as he possibly could, as is his right. the team treated him the same way, using him to get as much as they possibly could, which is their right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

How do u know he didn't tell him face to face?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

NEGAME just asked the $64,000 Question.

How do you know how the details of the trade were consummated and how do you know what conversations Belichick and Seymour did or did not have?

A better question might be: Why do you automatically assume Belichick is a cold-hearted automaton?

All the posters who said that Seymour initiated the "businessman's approach" to his relationship with his employer are correct. You cannot have it both ways. Do not hold out and clamor for more money when the getting is good, only to turn around and expect some kind of familial loyalty when it is the teams turn to use ITS leverage on YOU.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_2767828. Show user_2767828's posts

A CHEATER ALWAYS A CHEATER, the SOX won CHEATING , THE PATS CHEATED 2 , the only one that is clean up to right now are the Celtics and we don`t know if some will come up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOX-FAN-IN-TAMPA. Show SOX-FAN-IN-TAMPA's posts

Seymour had no intention to cut the Pats some slack so why should Pats show him any slack. Seymour's money will go to Vince and he will get a new deal signed or he will be franchised tagged. I refuse to feel sorry for any of these guys its a business plain and simple. Seymour didn't lose a job he is just being paid by Oakland. He is millionaire many times over and I am sure he will get by.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

NEGAME just asked the $64,000 Question. How do you know how the details of the trade were consummated and how do you know what conversations Belichick and Seymour did or did not have? A better question might be: Why do you automatically assume Belichick is a cold-hearted automaton? All the posters who said that Seymour initiated the "businessman's approach" to his relationship with his employer are correct. You cannot have it both ways. Do not hold out and clamor for more money when the getting is good, only to turn around and expect some kind of familial loyalty when it is the teams turn to use ITS leverage on YOU .
    Posted by prairiemike
    common sense says so esp by the way bel and dean pees and the player personnel guy so dismissively react when seymour's name comes up. this is not milloy! also his locker was just given away to a practice squad guy. only a cold hearted automaton acts that way! u dont think the other playas notice that and resent it? u dont have to go out of your way to "sovietally" erase all memories of the guy. whats next... airbrush him off the super bowl pics? i also hate that scrubs are out there wearg #80 jerseys so soon after a legend like troy leaves. u can wait a year like all other socially decent coaches do and mandate. seau may come bak yet burgess is already wearg #55 (which was also mcginest's #). all totalled, it shows a total emotional defect on bel's part! no wonder josh mcdaniels and the rest of his tree have issues when they leave him and try to impose that insensitive nonsense elsewhere. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

trip trap trip trap

Who is that trip-trapping across my bridge?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

welcome to the real world. do you think every employee gets a golden handshake on the way out?

by all accounts - ty warren said seymour mentioned something may happen. so guess what something did. so he was not blind sided by this.

i have no reason to cry for a guy that makes 3.7 mill because he has to move to keep his job. it will be tougher on his wife and kids then on him as they will have to completely chnage their life style since they support him and his career. i feel sorry for them since they just started school and now have to move or stay in NE as he satys out on the left coast.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way? : i agree with the trade. my beef is HOW it was done!
    Posted by choircontrarian

We are talking about grown men, profesionals now are we not?

Seymour held the Patriots over a barrel not once but Twice! Good for him, he used the system to his advantage. The Patriots gave him one advantage of their own in the end.

2-1 Advantage Seymour, he's a big boy, move along now....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

this is football. BB is not concerned with the feelings of these guys, and he shouldnt be its all about being competitive and remaining competitive in the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

it will be tougher on his wife and kids then on him as they will have to completely chnage their life style since they support him and his career. i feel sorry for them since they just started school and now have to move or stay in NE as he satys out on the left coast.
    Posted by Patriots1970

This is my only beef with the whole mess, Seymours family put down roots here and they deserve better than the big f u from BB. If i was Seymour i would just sit out the season, family comes 1st, no way i would move out there to loserland. If Seymour is so rich then he can retire here with the fam.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 671Chay. Show 671Chay's posts

Probably not the way we wanted it. After reading Tom Brady's interview re: Joe Montana being traded to KC, I think BB is basing his actions more on the business side.

I know that the Pats wont harvest the goods right now, but the Pats are well prep for the coming labor talks and CBA et all.

Its going to be a mind over matters...ALWAYS ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way?:
    In bill i trust and i can agree with his reasong behind letting seymour go. but i think bill reverted back to his cold  dehumanizg approach in the way he let seymour go. this guy deserved to be told face to face, eye to eye by belichick himself. he deserved to be thanked properly as the news was sensitively broken to him. he deserved to be told that he was not actively shopped but that oakland made the approach and readily accepted terms the pats could not walk away from. he deserved some special love and appreciation! if you are tom brady or wilfork and you hold all the leverage at this point, y on earth when u see seymour being so crassly treated would you want to give this team a market discount? top guys working on their third and last deals deserve a little more gratitude and respect. is this how bill would like kraft to treat him someday? in milloy days, guys like brady were young pups. now they are a bit wiser and seasoned. this is not the way to maximize their loyalties in the long term!
    Posted by bubbakilla

Here we go again with another one of your moronic attempts to paint BB and the Pats as a bad franchise.

Were you hiding in Seymore's pants the whole time that gave you this inside knowledge of how he found out he was being traded?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

In Response to Re: Did Belichick exit out Seymour in the right way? : common sense says so esp by the way bel and dean pees and the player personnel guy so dismissively react when seymour's name comes up. this is not milloy! also his locker was just given away to a practice squad guy. only a cold hearted automaton acts that way! u dont think the other playas notice that and resent it? u dont have to go out of your way to "sovietally" erase all memories of the guy. whats next... airbrush him off the super bowl pics? i also hate that scrubs are out there wearg #80 jerseys so soon after a legend like troy leaves. u can wait a year like all other socially decent coaches do and mandate. seau may come bak yet burgess is already wearg #55 (which was also mcginest's #). all totalled, it shows a total emotional defect on bel's part! no wonder josh mcdaniels and the rest of his tree have issues when they leave him and try to impose that insensitive nonsense elsewhere. 
    Posted by bubbakilla

In other words you know nothing and are making a silly attempt to cover your BS

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

Sure did. And if Seymore thinks Oakland is bad - he should be greatful he didn't wind up in Detroit!!! He is a greedy man and got what he deserved....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

$eymour's past actions set the stage for what transpired and the way that it did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 00chief00. Show 00chief00's posts

There is no right and wrong here. In a perfect world we could keep guys like seymore, milloy, branch, samuel, etc. But in the end you do what's best for the team, and ther was no way we were going to be able to resign seymore and wilfork, with the priority on wilfork.

So we sent a guy that would a f/a at the end of the year (don't think we would have franchised him) for a future 1st rounder. great deal, but seymore will be missed

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Perfectly legit move by Belichick.  Cold, but legit. 

Seems to me that Belichick does take care of players that he cares for (and as cold as he appears, I think he does have a heart for some).  For example, I think he kept Bruschi and Harrison around too long and for their benefit, not the team's. 

But I don't know how many of those there are and if an opportunity presents itself, I think Belichick possesses a ruthless disconnect for the vast majority of people regardless of what they may have done for the team previously.

I think Vrabel and Seymour have been handled in exactly this way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from noneofyourbusiness19. Show noneofyourbusiness19's posts

So let me make sure I've got this straight, when the player holds out for more money it's a business but when the team trades him it's personal? live by the sword get traded by the sword

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmcd. Show rmcd's posts

In the end remember Seymour is a multimillionaire,one of the highest paid players in the game. lets not turn him into a single mom supporting a family on a blue collar salary. My point? Was he treated with respect? In an era when most players (including Seymour)seem to equate respect with the bottom line, Seymours paycheck has been one big ol heap of respect.  Being traded is part of the business. In the end he will ( of course ) report to Oakland, play hard and earn another giant heap of respect in the form of a big fat new contract. Is he great, a hard worker, loyal teamate?? of course. Yes to all of that, thats why he gets paid the money!

Sections
Shortcuts