Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin McCourty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pwu. Show pwu's posts

Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin McCourty?

Did the Pats get another player taken ahead of them that they apparently targeted?
    Did the Pats target TE Jermaine Gresham but had Cincy pick him up, and had to settle for McCourty?

Seems like another Percy Harvin ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin McCourty?

There's really no way to know that. Belichick says McCourty is the guy he wanted and you can look at that one of two ways: Obviously, he's not going to say, "All the guys we wanted were gone so we traded back and picked this kid's name out of a hat." So, you can either believe that Belichick foresaw how the picks would fall and targeted McCourty, or you can believe that he was caught completely unaware and had to "settle" for a pick that certainly seemed to take a lot of people by surprise. Belichick has been the most successful coach in the NFL over the last decade or so, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion . . .

even if it is wrong.
    Cool

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I don't think so. From what I've read BB loved McCourty from one on one meetings, etc. I think he was the pick the Pats were looking for from the start.

You can also argue that Gronk and Gresham are just as talented as the other. I don't think BB wanted to get a TE in the first, but instead get a TE that he felt should be drafted in the first with a little lower pick. Gronk slipped because of his back injury but BB said all the doctors have cleared him. If i'm not mistaken, he mentioned team doctors as well. That shows he was interested in Gronk from the beginning.

I'd prefer McCourty and Gronk over Gresham and someone else any day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Here is the thing though.... McCourty's agent told someone in Ohio who writes for a sports page there a few days before the draft that the Patriots wanted to Draft him if they could get him in the later 20's. Upon that information that writter put McCourty in his/her (don't remember the name) Last Mock for the Patriots Pre Draft.

So while they might have had another player or two they liked Pouncey etc. it sounds like McCourty was one of the top targets. BB also said something about a few players with austensibly the same grade in the first through second round that they wanted and they also wanted to add value through gaining picks. It sounds to me like they got a player they wanted and didn't "settle" for anyone, but got one of the ones they wanted and still added value through picking up more picks. Vintage BB. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I heard Belichick talking on the Big Show on WEEI a couple days ago and while talking about Gronkowski, he mentioned Cincy picking Gresham in a way that made me immediately think he couldn't believe that Cincinnati rated Gresham higher than Gronkowski.  I can't remember exactly what he said but I definitely got the impression than Gronkowski had a higher grade from the Patriots than Gresham did.  I think McCourty was his guy all along.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddog23. Show ddog23's posts

In Response to Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin
    I thnk the Pats wanted Pouncey but once the Steelers snagged him early then  he and Josh Mcdaniels conspired to 1. Keep Baltimore from snagging a top rated receiver Dez Bryant and or 2 Demarius Thomas (which was brilliant) also he leaps back into the 2nd round ahead of Baltimore again to grab there guy Gronk.He knows Baltimore is the new Beast of the AFC and he made sure they didnt get that much more tougher. Also I think Bill was throwing teams off by wooing and hyping Tebow so his boy Josh could get him. Minny was probaly goint to draft Tebow but Josh Mc jumped back ahead of them to snag there guy...a classic Bill Belichick move ! Just my thoughts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

no way! first off, everyone knew that cincy was taking gresham, so if they wanted him they would have jumped in front of them (like with gronk, who the ravens wanted). to me gresham looks like the second coming of ben watson...i wouldnt want any part of him! from what i've heard, the player the pats were hoping would drop to 22 was ryan mathews. once he was gone, mccourty was the second choice, and they knew that they could drop back and still get him as long as they stayed in front of the jets.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin McCourty?:
    Did the Pats get another player taken ahead of them that they apparently targeted? Did the Pats target TE Jermaine Gresham but had Cincy pick him up, and had to settle for McCourty? Seems like another Percy Harvin ?
    Posted by pwu

Nope, not buying that one bit. I do believe Harvin was a target last draft. But this I truly belive that(may not be the popular pick) McCourty was the guy. Why do you believe that, pwu? Who were they targeting? I just think that teams using the spread offense way more than before. And to try and counter that you have to have 3 capable DBs. Just My opinion

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

From what i've read about gresham and gronk... Gronk is a receiver and definately a better blocker than gresham is... Which makes me think that gronk is the one they wanted because they value versatility and def. value blocking in TE's.. I am sure they wanted gronk, if they wanted gresham badly, they would have moved up.. because they are not afraid to do that... Look at how they moved perfectly in front of baltimore to pick up gronk.. They def. do research on who is "expected" to pick the players they want and move up/down based on that..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Who cares. I'll take a top CB over a highly rated TE anyday.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Jermaine Gresham has a rebuilt knee. 

We in New England are spoiled by Tom Brady's knee rehab.  Brady got better, no problems at all, in a year.  That's because pocket quarterbacks hardly ever run anywhere, and they don't stress their knees.  Tight ends push, they make cuts on their routes, people cut-block them at the knee, people hit them in defenseless positions, and sometimes dirty opponents dive at their knees for 15 yard penalties and fines.  Anyways, things happen with medical players.  I'm not saying that Gresham is guaranteed not to have a good career, but on the off-chance that he never makes it out of training camp this year I'll understand.  He's a Brandon Tate, a sure first-round talent who belongs in the second round because he possibly might not work as advertised, and so far Tate hasn't in fact worked out.

Devin McCourty is not a settle-for guy.  He's good value at #27.  At #22 and at #24 he just wasn't as good a value as trading down at a profit for more picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Did Pats target Jermaine Gresham but then had to settle for Devin McCourty?:Yes
    Did the Pats get another player taken ahead of them that they apparently targeted? Did the Pats target TE Jermaine Gresham but had Cincy pick him up, and had to settle for McCourty? Seems like another Percy Harvin ?
    Posted by pwu

Sections
Shortcuts