did plaxico burress get a raw deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

did plaxico burress get a raw deal?

i know ny has there laws,but the door guys let him in knowing he was carrying a gun,and it really sounds like it went off by accident.is this politics comeing in play with the tough sentence?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4420263

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal?

nope he got exactly what he had coming to him. If he didnt want to go to jail he shouldnt have had an unregistered hand gun tucked in his pants like a moron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Plax is a citizen of a country that guarantees him the right to bear arms, and now he is in prison for bearing arms.  I would say that is pretty unfair.

I'm just f*ckin with you, we've already discussed this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

he did something criminal and now he's paying for it. that sounds like justice.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

you have a right to bear arms but he however does not have a right to carry an unregistered hand gun and carry said gun into a night club full of people. Also he walked around with it tucked into his pants with teh safety off like a moron so yes he got what he had coming.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This again?

Nowhere in the constitution is anyone guaranteed the right to carry concealed weapons in public, and in any case, there is no precedent anywhere that identifies one man as a "well-regulated militia."

And above and beyond all that, Cool Hand Plaxico pled guilty, which means that, given the circumstantces, the deal he got is acceptable to him, no matter what we think of it. So the short answer is "no."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Alright, if you dorks want to discuss this again, I'm game.  It sure beats yelling at reg122.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You can try to read limitations and qualifications into it as much as you want, but the simple truth is that under no construction of the English language does the first clause of that sentence modify the second.  You might spin your wheels that something or other is implied, but there is no explicit modification.  And the second clause is an absolute universal without restriction or qualification:  "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 

Plax is a person in the United States. He was bearing arms.  Maybe the owner of the nightclub didn't want him to have a gun but that is between him and the nightclub.  The government can't put him in prison for this.  It's time for the people to stand up against these tyrants in Washington and the state capitals and take back our liberties.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If it's not intended to modify the dependent clause, why is it there?

Does the first amendment say, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion . . . 
    "
    or the third say, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,  no soldier shall in time of peace be quartered in any house . . . "  ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

It is there as a reason or justification for the independent clause.  For example, "A well educated workforce, being necessary to the economy of a capitalist country, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If the clause is independent, why does it need justification?

Why don't the authors simply say, "Under no circumstances shall a citizen's right to be arms be infringed upon."

I'll give you a hint:  Because that is not at all what they meant.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal?:
    [QUOTE]If the clause is independent, why does it need justification? Why don't the authors simply say, "Under no circumstances shall a citizen's right to be arms be infringed upon." I'll give you a hint:  Because that is not at all what they meant.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Wow, you know what the authors meant?  Holy cr*p, you must have the ability to go back in time or to summon their ghosts?  Please tell me.  Or don't.  Because I don't give a $h!t what the authors meant.  When the people ratified the amendment they didn't sit down and have a heart to heart with the authors to find out what it "meant."  They read the words that the authors wrote and took them at their plain meaning which is that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from drawme. Show drawme's posts

It's pretty clear that the only reason there's a clause regarding right to bear arms in the first place is because they believed that militias are necessary to keep the people free from the tyranny of centralized government.

That being no longer applicable in any way, shape or form (does anyone seriously think that a local militia is actually going to be a check on the U.S. military?), why do we still care so much what they had to say about it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]It's pretty clear that the only reason there's a clause regarding right to bear arms in the first place is because they believed that militias are necessary to keep the people free from the tyranny of centralized government. That being no longer applicable in any way, shape or form (does anyone seriously think that a local militia is actually going to be a check on the U.S. military?), why do we still care so much what they had to say about it?
    Posted by drawme[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? If the people in every state organized militias, they could easily be a check on the federal government.  It's impossible to rule over a land where the people everywhere are organized against you.  Look at the U.S. in Vietnam or the Ruskies in Afghanistan.  The militias would even provide a good alternative for soldiers in the military looking to stop serving those tyrants in D.C.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drawme. Show drawme's posts

Do you think that will ever, ever happen?

Ever?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

No.  People in this country are too insecure about their jobs and health care and retirement to care about their liberties.  We will all become slaves to the federal bureaucracy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

One of my best friends is 5' 11".

But he likes to tell people he's six feet tall.

I'm far more comfortable reading the entire sentence and projecting the meaning from that, rather than reading only part of it and ignoring the other part that doesn't support my perspective.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I went back to look for a thread on this.i went back as far as 10,but didnt see anything.but isnt 2 yrs harsh for stupidity?vick gets 2yrs for cruelty,stallworth gets 30 days in jail for dui manslaughter marshall gets off for beating his girlfreind.in any other case in another state a person would have gotten a slap on the hand,or a few days in jail.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]One of my best friends is 5' 11". But he likes to tell people he's six feet tall. I'm far more comfortable reading the entire sentence and projecting the meaning from that, rather than reading only part of it and ignoring the other part that doesn't support my perspective.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

You don't know what "the meaning from that part" is, so stop projecting your personal bias against guns onto my constitutional liberties.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I have no personal bias against guns.

I own several and understand their use.

I suspect I read English at least as well as anyone I encounter here, and I suppose if I do harbor bias, it's probably against narrow, parochial thinking (or -- heaven help us -- no thinking at all). But then again, when I consider the source, and how many times I've seen this act . . .  ultimately it matters not a whit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from derekv. Show derekv's posts

Are you serious thinking that Plexy Glass got a raw deal, i live in Ny and i can not believe, the special treatement that all the Jerks get.  1st Vick gets to come back and make millions after his own slaughterhouse of Dogs...  I don't see any remorse there. then Stallworth gets to walk because he plays in the NFL.  this whole thing sickens me,  if it was anyone of us we would be behind bars. But Plexico, C'mon how would you like to be in that Bar and know that a gun went off??  Also the gun was unregistered, it accidentally went off.  what a joke.... don't carry a gun..  if you need protection get a bodygaurd, you got the money...  also Antonio Peirce should also get charge something  for his involvement after the shooting.  All these guys should not get special treatment just because they are sports stars.  someone needs to held accountable 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Are you serious thinking that Plexy Glass got a raw deal, i live in Ny and i can not believe, the special treatement that all the Jerks get.  1st Vick gets to come back and make millions after his own slaughterhouse of Dogs...  I don't see any remorse there. then Stallworth gets to walk because he plays in the NFL.  this whole thing sickens me,  if it was anyone of us we would be behind bars. But Plexico, C'mon how would you like to be in that Bar and know that a gun went off??  Also the gun was unregistered, it accidentally went off.  what a joke.... don't carry a gun..  if you need protection get a bodygaurd, you got the money...  also Antonio Peirce should also get charge something  for his involvement after the shooting.  All these guys should not get special treatment just because they are sports stars.  someone needs to held accountable 
    Posted by derekv[/QUOTE] thats the question,did he get a raw deal?you didnt hear me say he got one,but asked a question if he got one.but in any other state,we would have just got a slap on the hand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Sometimes, horribly, these mandatory sentences turn out to be mandatory..it's just un-american.  If he had shot his own family jewels, it would certainly have been more entertaining.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to did plaxico burress get a raw deal?:
    [QUOTE]i know ny has there laws,but the door guys let him in knowing he was carrying a gun,and it really sounds like it went off by accident.is this politics comeing in play with the tough sentence? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4420263
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

No raw deal, but the Giants & Antonio Pierce got off & that's the raw deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He deserves jail time but not 2 years. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from josepr. Show josepr's posts

In Response to did plaxico burress get a raw deal?:
    [QUOTE]i know ny has there laws,but the door guys let him in knowing he was carrying a gun,and it really sounds like it went off by accident.is this politics comeing in play with the tough sentence? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4420263
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't be saying this if the bullet had hit some innocent bystandard.

Sections
Shortcuts