did plaxico burress get a raw deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal?

In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal?:
    [QUOTE]I have no personal bias against guns. I own several and understand their use. I suspect I read English at least as well as anyone I encounter here, and I suppose if I do harbor bias, it's probably against narrow, parochial thinking (or -- heaven help us -- no thinking at all). But then again, when I consider the source, and how many times I've seen this act . . .  ultimately it matters not a whit.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Is that a personal attack Mike?  LOL, when have I ever wronged thee?  Granted I've wronged a lot of people on this board (TexasPat, Harley, Belenus, Sonny-O, Zbellino, Taz, that girl last season who complained during every game that our team sucked, PrairieMike, Kmaxx, mosseffect, raptor, Carawaydj, reg 122), but I've never wronged PrairieMike.

Let's look at it like this.  X and Y are related.  It is well understood and accepted by all that X is necessary for Y to occur.  Now suppose Z is a goal everyone wants, and Y is necessary for Z.  But it is not well understood and accepted that Y is necessary for Z.  If you wanted to explain to people why you were instituting policies to support X, you would say, "Y being necessary for Z, we need to do X."  Now honestly tell me how that limits X.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

[QUOTE]If the clause is independent, why does it need justification? Why don't the authors simply say, "Under no circumstances shall a citizen's right to be arms be infringed upon." I'll give you a hint:  Because that is not at all what they meant.

You should study up on the Federalist Papers.  The FFs were very clear on the intent of the Amendment.  The right to keep and bear arms was viewed as a way to check tyranny by a government.  Besides, what can be illegal about having a gun?  It is the act of shooting someone in non-self defense or using it to rob or coerce someone against their will that is the problem. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

In Response to did plaxico burress get a raw deal?:
    [QUOTE]i know ny has there laws,but the door guys let him in knowing he was carrying a gun,and it really sounds like it went off by accident.is this politics comeing in play with the tough sentence? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4420263
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

A day or so after this 'accident' occurred, NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg let it be known in no uncertain terms, that he would be very disappointed if Mr. Burress were not held accountable for his actions. Apparently Robert Morgenthau (NYC District Attorney) was listening 'cause they went after him (Burress) with a vengeance.

Now some may say he didn't hurt anyone but himself and that is true, but I'm curious to know why as a pro athlete w/millions of dollars in the bank, he couldn't go spend a few dollars on a freakin' license. Here's a man who wanted to keep it real, no need for a gunbelt and f*ck the permit. 
    A moment of stupidity that will affect him for the rest of his playing career and his life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : You wouldn't be saying this if the bullet had hit some innocent bystandard.
    Posted by josepr[/QUOTE]

"If" means nothing because nothing (an innocent person harmed) happened. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

[QUOTE]i know ny has there laws,but the door guys let him in knowing he was carrying a gun,and it really sounds like it went off by accident.is this politics comeing in play with the tough sentence? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4420263

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

I was once stationed in Saratoga SPrings NY (back in Military days).  We were told at our previous command that you do not bring your guns into the state of NY.  We were told that even though they were allowed inother states that we had about a 1yr wait to get the permit to do so in NY.

Well one of us chose to disbelieve the men who told him it was not allowed.  2 weeks after we all moved in up there, he was found on the sidewalk outside our rental building with his gun.  Actually the Cop was driving by when he bent over to pick up some trash on the ground and saw it.  He pulled over to question the guy about it.  It was not registered in NY.  It was confiscated- he was brought to the city jail.  Once he made bail and came back to work- the other side (military) hit him with failure to obey a lawfu l order.  However, he got a very early COURT date 6 weeks away, and chose to go and attempt to defend himself.  Again he was warned- and he started about it was his right.  It took a couple of hours of testimony and I got to return to the command with the notification that he would not be coming home tonight.  They stuck him in the KLINK did not let him pass go.... and gave him 5 yrs....  part of it was something about being within a mile of a school yard.

IF you have ever been to Saratoga SPrings you know it is a sleepy little aduirondack town most of the year except horse racing season.  More bars there per capita than anywhere else....  but anyway (I digress) it is not a gang type area....

Needless to say the man did not need to come back for his Military trial.... He was dismissed on Admin under other than honerable conditions as he had different legal problem to deal with...

SO the question was..... DID PLAXY get a bad deal, was it political?.... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... It was a state actually enforcing their own laws, and he KNEW better.  It does not matter if someone blesses you off in disobeying the law or not- if thpolice choose to you are held accountable....

Try driving through a school zone tomorrow....  Ask your buddy if you can go 100 through the zone even though the sign says 20.....  Get his permission..... then tell the cop when you get caught that your buddy said it was okay.....  WHO THE HECK CARES...

I think he got off TOO EASY!.... He says he KNEW he wasn't supposed to have it.... He actually tookit with him because he was going by a friends who lived in an area where a teammate got attacked recently.   Those are his words from the ESPN interview.....

SO My question would have been.. />  (As a DA would have asked him) So you are telling the jury that you got your gun from your closet and took it with you fully intending to cause bodily harm to another if the situation allowed it?  HMMM?

SO you took it into a BAR and went thorough the metal detectors at which time it was apparent you had forgot it in your pant leg.....  YOU fdid not choose to retreat and take it back to the car where innocents were not as likely to be hurt, Mr Burress?..... HMMM... Was this because you STILL had intent to cause bodily harm on another if the situation allowed it?....

That man would have been hung out to dry if they went to court.....  He would have gotten much more than the two years he may spend now- though if he behaves he will be out early.  I WISH HIM LUCK.... I am just glad that he admitted on TV that he made the choice, and that it was not some danged environmental cause that ruined his psyche for life that made him carry the gun.

When I saw the tape, he looked like he actually regretted the act- not just the fact that he got caught...... MAYBE he can make something good come out of his incarceration- learn basketweaving..... or get one of those checks that the Obama administration send to convicts as part of the stimulus payments.... YEP IT HAPPENED.

AGAIN... NO it was not a political thing... I know three- YEP three people who got in trouble in NY (STATE) via their gun laws..... They'll get everyone given the chance.....

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : Is that a personal attack Mike?  LOL, when have I ever wronged thee?  [/QUOTE]

I suppose in its own mild way, it is. And as for being wronged, I would have to be a great deal more thin-skinned than I am to take anything I read in here personally. I will say I was a little taken aback by your recent characterization of certain defenders of this nation -- my brothers in arms and the protectors of These lliberties we can't seem to agree upon -- as "murderers." That seemed a little over the top to me (although it was not directed specifically at me), and I find it hard to reconcile that belief with the apparent belief you're defending here, which appears to be that individual ownership of firearms should not be regulated in any way. I have no way of knowing this for a fact, but my observations lead me to believe that you enjoy being contrary -- I see you playing what looks like Devil's Advocate to me and so, when I say "consider the source," that is just my way of speculating that perhaps you are more passionate about debate itself than you are about certain particular issues.

Of course, that may not be the case on this particular issue and I could be entirely wrong about the whole thing, but if I am, I'll never admit it anyway. By it's very nature, everything you see in here under my name is my opinion, and I am the world's unquestioned leading expert on my opinion.

(oh -- and I think it's worth noting here that we are talking about a kind of weapon that did not exist when the 2nd amendment was penned)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimKe. Show JimKe's posts

In New York State, it is illegal for a person to have an unlicensed hand gun
    outside the person's home or business.  There is a 3 to 5 year sentence
    for doing so.

The club was not Plaxico's home or business.  Not only was Plaxico carrying
    the gun, it also discharged.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

[QUOTE]Are you serious thinking that Plexy Glass got a raw deal, i live in Ny and i can not believe, the special treatement that all the Jerks get.  1st Vick gets to come back and make millions after his own slaughterhouse of Dogs...  I don't see any remorse there. then Stallworth gets to walk because he plays in the NFL.  this whole thing sickens me,  if it was anyone of us we would be behind bars. But Plexico, C'mon how would you like to be in that Bar and know that a gun went off??  Also the gun was unregistered, it accidentally went off.  what a joke.... don't carry a gun..  if you need protection get a bodygaurd, you got the money...  also Antonio Peirce should also get charge something  for his involvement after the shooting.  All these guys should not get special treatment just because they are sports stars.  someone needs to held accountable 
    Posted by derekv[/QUOTE]

stallworth walked because the family settled for some money as far as i know... correct me if i am wrong

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

I'd say he's a victim of politics.  Murder and hand guns are a hot topic, especially in large cities like NY.  Politicians have to do something, often it ends up in token legislation like mandatory sentencing that have never been proven to deter crime but satisfy's voters.

Aside from that, he has to take personal accountability.  If I was going to carry an illegal handgun, I would first find out the penalty for doing so and assess the risk.  As a father, I wouldn't take the risk, nor would I go to a club where I though I needed a gun. 

I think this experience may have contributed to the rapid maturity of a relatively immature young man. 
    I'd say the same about Michael Vick.

It's funny how getting caught and facing jail can do that to a man.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : I suppose in its own mild way, it is. And as for being wronged, I would have to be a great deal more thin-skinned than I am to take anything I read in here personally. I will say I was a little taken aback by your recent characterization of certain defenders of this nation -- my brothers in arms and the protectors of These lliberties we can't seem to agree upon -- as "murderers." That seemed a little over the top to me (although it was not directed specifically at me), and I find it hard to reconcile that belief with the apparent belief you're defending here, which appears to be that individual ownership of firearms should not be regulated in any way. I have no way of knowing this for a fact, but my observations lead me to believe that you enjoy being contrary -- I see you playing what looks like Devil's Advocate to me and so, when I say "consider the source," that is just my way of speculating that perhaps you are more passionate about debate itself than you are about certain particular issues. Of course, that may not be the case on this particular issue and I could be entirely wrong about the whole thing, but if I am, I'll never admit it anyway. By it's very nature, everything you see in here under my name is my opinion, and I am the world's unquestioned leading expert on my opinion. (oh -- and I think it's worth noting here that we are talking about a kind of weapon that did not exist when the 2nd amendment was penned)

My views on both topics are consistent.  I oppose our nation's imperial attempts to dominate the planet, and I support the right of all people to defend themselves against such tyranny, whether they be citizens of New York or Afghanistan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Let's talk about a less divisive topic say like.... Michael Vick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : NO!NO!NO!NO!NO! I was once stationed in Saratoga SPrings NY (back in Military days).  We were told at our previous command that you do not bring your guns into the state of NY.  We were told that even though they were allowed inother states that we had about a 1yr wait to get the permit to do so in NY. Well one of us chose to disbelieve the men who told him it was not allowed.  2 weeks after we all moved in up there, he was found on the sidewalk outside our rental building with his gun.  Actually the Cop was driving by when he bent over to pick up some trash on the ground and saw it.  He pulled over to question the guy about it.  It was not registered in NY.  It was confiscated- he was brought to the city jail.  Once he made bail and came back to work- the other side (military) hit him with failure to obey a lawfu l order.  However, he got a very early COURT date 6 weeks away, and chose to go and attempt to defend himself.  Again he was warned- and he started about it was his right.  It took a couple of hours of testimony and I got to return to the command with the notification that he would not be coming home tonight.  They stuck him in the KLINK did not let him pass go.... and gave him 5 yrs....  part of it was something about being within a mile of a school yard. IF you have ever been to Saratoga SPrings you know it is a sleepy little aduirondack town most of the year except horse racing season.  More bars there per capita than anywhere else....  but anyway (I digress) it is not a gang type area.... Needless to say the man did not need to come back for his Military trial.... He was dismissed on Admin under other than honerable conditions as he had different legal problem to deal with... SO the question was..... DID PLAXY get a bad deal, was it political?.... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... It was a state actually enforcing their own laws, and he KNEW better.  It does not matter if someone blesses you off in disobeying the law or not- if thpolice choose to you are held accountable.... Try driving through a school zone tomorrow....  Ask your buddy if you can go 100 through the zone even though the sign says 20.....  Get his permission..... then tell the cop when you get caught that your buddy said it was okay.....  WHO THE HECK CARES... I think he got off TOO EASY!.... He says he KNEW he wasn't supposed to have it.... He actually tookit with him because he was going by a friends who lived in an area where a teammate got attacked recently.   Those are his words from the ESPN interview..... SO My question would have been.. />  (As a DA would have asked him) So you are telling the jury that you got your gun from your closet and took it with you fully intending to cause bodily harm to another if the situation allowed it?  HMMM? SO you took it into a BAR and went thorough the metal detectors at which time it was apparent you had forgot it in your pant leg.....  YOU fdid not choose to retreat and take it back to the car where innocents were not as likely to be hurt, Mr Burress?..... HMMM... Was this because you STILL had intent to cause bodily harm on another if the situation allowed it?.... That man would have been hung out to dry if they went to court.....  He would have gotten much more than the two years he may spend now- though if he behaves he will be out early.  I WISH HIM LUCK.... I am just glad that he admitted on TV that he made the choice, and that it was not some danged environmental cause that ruined his psyche for life that made him carry the gun. When I saw the tape, he looked like he actually regretted the act- not just the fact that he got caught...... MAYBE he can make something good come out of his incarceration- learn basketweaving..... or get one of those checks that the Obama administration send to convicts as part of the stimulus payments.... YEP IT HAPPENED. AGAIN... NO it was not a political thing... I know three- YEP three people who got in trouble in NY (STATE) via their gun laws..... They'll get everyone given the chance.....
    Posted by wwsf4ever[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with some of your statement with respect to Burress and it not being political. I live in the Tri state area. Almost immediately after Burress' accident at Latin Quarters, Mike Bloomberg was on local TV stating he (Plaxico) should be held accountable for his actions. 
    Surely you gotta admit that if a popular two term Mayor goes on tv and says he has a problem with an athlete allegedly breaking the law, the DA isn't going to pay attention. At any rate, after I saw Jeremy Schaap's interview with Plaxico, I softened my stance a little. But what he did was stupid, and now he's gonna pay for it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Pretty simple here guys. Someone mentioned that he was walking around with the safety off. Wrong. It's a Glock- no safety. Does not accidently go off if dropped. The only way for it to be discharged is to PULL the trigger. Why would his finger be on the trigger? The license was expired by MONTHS not days. The license was in a different state. He exposed others to danger due to his disregard for those around him. Isn't that essentially what laws are for? The well being of the others in society? Not just yourself as Vick and Plax seem to think so. Bottom line is- he KNEW he was breaking the law, he COULD have received 5 years, he negotiated for half that sentence. But, your right, he's a well known personality, he entertains us weekly, so we should allow sports personalities to do as they wish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]It is there as a reason or justification for the independent clause.  For example, "A well educated workforce, being necessary to the economy of a capitalist country, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]
    You guys can argue about the rules of english grammar with respect to the seconmd amendment forever but you're wastign your time. The ultimate authority on interpreting the US Constitution is the US Supreme Court. They've ruled that gun possession is a fundamental right that has nothing to do with the "militia". However, states and municipalities can regulate and restrict possession of handguns in pretty much any manner, short of an outright ban on them.
    NYC has a 3 year mandatory sentence for possessionn of a handgun. Harsh but constitutional. He only got 2 because he plead it out.
    Burress is now whining about having an expectant wife at home. Too fr*ggin bad. Makes it all the worse for him to be out clubbing at 2AM with a loaded handgun in his waistband.
    He's just a flat out moron. I'd like to think he'll never play in the NFL again  but he probably will.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The fact is there are laws in NYC and he knew the laws, he played ball in NYC and he lived in NYC and he knew the law and he did it anyway. He was not some guy new to teh city he lived there and he knew it was stupid and wrong and he did it anyways and now he has to pay for teh crime the same way a gang banger would if he did the same thing. Why should he get off easy? cause he has talent? BS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

He knew the law, he broke it. What else can you say? Raw deal? I should say NO! He lucked out and plead for a reduced sentence. He was also lucky that he didn't blow his balls off instead of taking one in the thigh! As far as the second amendment, that is a federal document. The federal government doesn't come into play here. They allow Plax to have his gun. But it is the locat statutes which were violated. So while you have the constitutional right to bear arms in the US, that right is restricted in NY. There was no clause in the bill of rights that guarantees no state, county, or city may "infringe" on this right, making it an "absolute". If he (or anyone else) feels infringed on their second amendment rights they would have to go to the Supreme Court for confirmation (or legislation) that no other governmental body can limit or restrict your second amendment rights.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dv8ed. Show dv8ed's posts

[QUOTE]In New York State, it is illegal for a person to have an unlicensed hand gun outside the person's home or business.  There is a 3 to 5 year sentence for doing so. The club was not Plaxico's home or business.  Not only was Plaxico carrying the gun, it also discharged.
    Posted by JimKe[/QUOTE]

Additionally, NYC (all buroughs) has more strict rules than that of the rest of the state.  You need a permit to own a firemarm PERIOD.  Even if it is kept in your home only.  Handguns are allowed only for the well connected few or those that seriously require it (law enforcement, etc).

With firearm ownership comes responsibility, and he should have taken the time to understand the local laws before taking any sort of concealed carry action.  That is up to him - ignorance is no defense and it sounds like he was willingly breaking that law.

On top of that he clearly has no common sense or firearm education.  He would then know how to properly transport said weapon assuming he was allowed to do so.  His choice was a dangerous one and thankfully nobody else was hurt.

I live in NYC now, and there are signs all over the subways that read, "Have an illegal gun? Mandatory 2 years in jail."  It's no secret that NY, one of the country's most liberal, is heavy on their gun laws.

He broke the law, he was given the sentence that the state promises.  simple. as. that. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Not to mention that if Plex didnt have the money to order up a good lawyer he would have gotten five years. If he was just some punk kid he would be locked up for 5 years, they do not mess around with this gun law in NYC. They are serious about cleaning up NYC and this law is serious so if he didnt have the money to pay for his lawyer he really would have gotten a "raw deal" but he did so he got off easy. He's lucky he didnt get five years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"ignorance is no defense and it sounds like he was willingly breaking that law."

This is the problem, he knew the law and he broke it. Why? Because clearly he didnt think the law applied to him, he was above the law cause he can catch a football....or so he thought. He got what he had coming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : You guys can argue about the rules of english grammar with respect to the seconmd amendment forever but you're wastign your time. The ultimate authority on interpreting the US Constitution is the US Supreme Court. They've ruled that gun possession is a fundamental right that has nothing to do with the "militia". However, states and municipalities can regulate and restrict possession of handguns in pretty much any manner, short of an outright ban on them. NYC has a 3 year mandatory sentence for possessionn of a handgun. Harsh but constitutional. He only got 2 because he plead it out. Burress is now whining about having an expectant wife at home. Too fr*ggin bad. Makes it all the worse for him to be out clubbing at 2AM with a loaded handgun in his waistband. He's just a flat out moron. I'd like to think he'll never play in the NFL again  but he probably will.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I missed the part in the Constitution where it says that the Supreme Court is the ultimate authority on interpreting the Constitution.  The only reason we accept that as fact today is that the Supreme Court's been doing it for so long without anyone opposing them.  The Supreme Court is bound to obey the Constitution in exercising its judicial power but it is not the ultimate authority on the Constitution.  The ultimate authority on the Constitution are those who ratified it - we, the people.  It is our contract with the government, and the goverment has been breaking it for 200 years.  We can't sit around waiting for the Supreme Court to enforce it.  3/4 of the States can call a new convention to amend the Consitution without giving Congress any say.  We need to step up and fire these bumbs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea and thats going to happen....not....thats right i just made a not joke!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did plaxico burress get a raw deal? : Sorry, I missed the part in the Constitution where it says that the Supreme Court is the ultimate authority on interpreting the Constitution.  The only reason we accept that as fact today is that the Supreme Court's been doing it for so long without anyone opposing them.  The Supreme Court is bound to obey the Constitution in exercising its judicial power but it is not the ultimate authority on the Constitution.  The ultimate authority on the Constitution are those who ratified it - we, the people.  It is our contract with the government, and the goverment has been breaking it for 200 years.  We can't sit around waiting for the Supreme Court to enforce it.  3/4 of the States can call a new convention to amend the Consitution without giving Congress any say.  We need to step up and fire these bumbs.
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Your getting off track. If you want to challenge whether the law was constitutional or not, go to the Supreme court. If you want to change the law, then get a petition to change it. The question was whether Plax got a raw deal or not. When he decided his thigh needed a little irrigation, AT THAT TIME, the law was that it's mandatory 3yr sentence. You can argue the basis for the law all you want, but the law was in effect when  he chose to ignore it. Max penalty was 5 yrs. He got/will get 2 years (one for breaking the law, another for stupidity). Getting only a 2/5ths penality? Damn good deal, not raw at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

An unjust law is no law at all, no matter what those 9 faggots on the Supreme Court say.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea unjust to whack jobs like you and Ron Paul. It is a good law and it is one way they have helped clean up NYC. If you hate this country so bad Mighty why do you live here? I am being serious, when Bush beat Kerry I actually looked into moving to Ireland and Canada because i didnt want to live in this country if the people were dumb enough to elect that man but I thought to myself i would rather live here in the best country on earth and have my freedoms then to live soemwhere where I knew nothing of the land. So if you hate this goverment so much get a new one. Its been 200 years since the right to bear arms was writen and things change in 200 years. 200 years ago they didnt have thuged out gang bangers walking around with glocks tucked in their waste waiting to shoot teh first person who f*cks with them. We however live in an age where these types of gang banger do in fact walk around so the law is here for a reason.