Did the interception possibly help us win?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Did the interception possibly help us win?

All things considered I think it's very possible it did help us win that game.  If we had another 4 and out or punt anything could have happened. the int took less time and move the ball down field where the series could have just been more drops and more time off the clock.  Can't wait to re watch it when it airs again. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Did the interception possibly help us win?

the two series..the one with the drops and the one with the int on the first play might have made the NO defense think the Pats were helpless. I think they relaxed a bit.

Certainly if the tha Patriots were going to turn it over then multiple plays would have taken way too much time off the clock...so maybe it was how it needed to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the two series..the one with the drops and the one with the int on the first play might have made the NO defense think the Pats were helpless. I think they relaxed a bit.

Certainly if the tha Patriots were going to turn it over then multiple plays would have taken way too much time off the clock...so maybe it was how it needed to be.

[/QUOTE]

Do you remember seeing the Saints defense celebrate with a huddle up on the side lines.  They all had their hands up high on a football, while one of their coaches said something.... with 3 minutes to go....  Karma... play 60 minutes.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you remember seeing the Saints defense celebrate with a huddle up on the side lines.  They all had their hands up high on a football, while one of their coaches said something.... with 3 minutes to go....  Karma... play 60 minutes.  

[/QUOTE]

Actually at best  I thought that was a mini pep rally like.."lets finish this". At worse it was a premature celebration of the win.

Certainly did not involve looking at charts, planning strategy for the final minutes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually at best  I thought that was a mini pep rally like.."lets finish this". At worse it was a premature celebration of the win.

Certainly did not involve looking at charts, planning strategy for the final minutes.

[/QUOTE]

Could be, but that looked like a game ball up in the air..... to the D.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Congrats on 4k Getz.  Better update that avatar bro.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Congrats on 4k Getz.  Better update that avatar bro.

[/QUOTE]

LOL oh shyt!!!  Thanks for the look out... wow... the last 500 came quick... I've had waaaay more time to kill unfortunately.  Ya know just cause I am in the 4's doesn't mean I leave my club!  Unless TFB12 decides to update it for me... wait a sec.. where has that dude been?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah, i heard that was Feg Rob ryan giving the D the gameball there. like stfup no Brady ended that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

TrueChamp postulated this the night of the game and it might very well be true, sometimes you need to step back to get a running start for the final jump.  It's counter intuitive to think this way but it is similar to Belichick snapping the ball into his own endzone to improve field position so many years ago...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TrueChamp postulated this the night of the game and it might very well be true, sometimes you need to step back to get a running start for the final jump.  It's counter intuitive to think this way but it is similar to Belichick snapping the ball into his own endzone to improve field position so many years ago...

[/QUOTE]

that call against the Broncos on MNF was one of the gutsiest/best calls BB has ever made. Absolute trust in the D that year. and course TB got it done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Saints played conservatively because they thought they Pats O couldn't move the ball anymore, myself included. They decided to take their shot against the run defense with Vince, Kelly and Mayo out, but the D held. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I kind of doubt they wanted to turn the ball over there.  They were on their own 20 and ended up getting the ball back on their own 30 after the punt, so it's not like the interception really changed their field position that much.  

I do think BB's going for it on fourth down was a smart strategic move.  I think he felt the two possibilities there were both positive.  Obviously, if the Pats get the first down they continue their drive.  If they turn over the ball on downs, however, they give the ball to the Saints on a short field, which means the Saints will score fast and give the ball back to the Pats fast.  At that point in the game, the Pats needed to get the ball back as quickly as possible, so if they could hold the Saints to three downs and a field goal (as they did) they'd get the ball back with as little time as possible off the clock and still in position to win the game with a TD.  I don't think they expected to turn the ball over on their next drive, however.  After the interception, the D stepped up and stopped the Saints allowing Brady a second chance--on which he made good. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I kind of doubt they wanted to turn the ball over there.  They were on their own 20 and ended up getting the ball back on their own 30 after the punt, so it's not like the interception really changed their field position that much.  

I do think BB's going for it on fourth down was a smart strategic move.  I think he felt the two possibilities there were both positive.  Obviously, if the Pats get the first down they continue their drive.  If they turn over the ball on downs, however, they give the ball to the Saints on a short field, which means the Saints will score fast and give the ball back to the Pats fast.  At that point in the game, the Pats needed to get the ball back as quickly as possible, so if they could hold the Saints to three downs and a field goal (as they did) they'd get the ball back with as little time as possible off the clock and still in position to win the game with a TD.  I don't think they expected to turn the ball over on their next drive, however.  After the interception, the D stepped up and stopped the Saints allowing Brady a second chance--on which he made good. 

[/QUOTE]

It's win probability. That is Bill Belichik's and Ernie Adams' favorite number to run. In a short span you have so many chances. For instance ... NE would need a TD no matter what to ice that game after a Saints' FG or TD. So you go for it ... and try to hold them if you fail. And with three minutes less you call a designed long pass (though something obviously went wrong, given that it was a lob and Edelman over-ran it) meant to keep the defense guessing. If they connect on that there is enough time to run a complete offense and kill the clock off. 

The last drive was really just the last chance ... and they executed on every down. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Not really. TB just conjured up his best heroics, and executed the plays they couldn't earlier in the game, and I think the message has been sent to the league. Don't count the Patriots out-ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's win probability. That is Bill Belichik's and Ernie Adams' favorite number to run. In a short span you have so many chances. For instance ... NE would need a TD no matter what to ice that game after a Saints' FG or TD. So you go for it ... and try to hold them if you fail. And with three minutes less you call a designed long pass (though something obviously went wrong, given that it was a lob and Edelman over-ran it) meant to keep the defense guessing. If they connect on that there is enough time to run a complete offense and kill the clock off. 

The last drive was really just the last chance ... and they executed on every down. 

[/QUOTE]

What do you think was the problem on that interception?  Just a bad throw or was Brady expecting something different to happen? I lean toward bad throw, but it was also an odd throw because it looked to me like Brady intentionally threw it a bit soft with a lot of loft.  It was almost as if he didn't expect Edelman to be outrunning the defense there.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We ask the question and answer it as "win probability" only because we won the game. If we lost we would never ask the question nor offer an answer as it would never occur to examine it from this perspective. What does this say? Is it the results of the event that determine our perception or is there some unexplainable force such as chance or the syncronicity of random events that comes into play and then we offer theories to explain it? As humans we are, afterall, theory and myth makers. 

I am not sure if this is a question for probability theory and mathematics or metaphysics and chaos theory??