did we all forget 488 yards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vegasredsox. Show vegasredsox's posts

did we all forget 488 yards

we just gave up 488 yards to a bad miami team i hope our d improves soon or we will be out of the playoffs again quickly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: did we all forget 488 yards

Be careful, or you'll start another "garbage time" thread.

Nobody wants that.

Sure, it's a concern . . .  particularly with a much better offense coming in this week . . .  but I'm still taking a wait-and-see attitude. Defenses throughout the league got bombarded in week one. Part of it is the nature of the direction the game has taken, and some of it (I'm guessing) is defenses being a bit more complicated and taking longer to gel with abbreviated preparation time.

That's what I'm hoping, at any rate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

We won't be out of the playoffs until at least January.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Who says they are a bad team?  They have some good weapons and Henne made some great throws.  I bet they beat the Jets.
    And sorry P-mike but 211 of those yrds were in GT.  But I do hate that soft D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

and yet they only gave up 10 points off of drives over 20yrds and not in garbage time (garbage time for me is that they score with less the 5mins left and down by 3 possessions).

More then half those yards for Mia came from the 1st drive (84 yrds) and the 4th quarter (209 yrds). So... I have a hard time looking at the 488yrds seriously knowing they switched to a prevent D in the 4th and needed to get going after 2 blown calls for big plays in the 1st drive.

If you want to know what one of the most consistent stats in football is, is that more then 75% of the SB winners in the last couple decades have been teams that have D's who rank 10th or better in points against. What makes that significant is that around half of those teams didn't rank in the top 10 in yrds allowed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards:
    [QUOTE]I think it's funny how people will only look at yards pretending it trumps every other more important category.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Particularly with New England, which is notorious for its "Break But Don't Shatter" defense, but that said, you can downplay Chadd Henne and whoever that Fasano guy is all you want, but it's Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson this week . . .  and the D is simply going to have to play better, that's all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]and yet they only gave up 10 points off of drives over 20yrds and not in garbage time (garbage time for me is that they score with less the 5mins left and down by 3 possessions). More then half those yards for Mia came from the 1st drive (84 yrds) and the 4th quarter (209 yrds). So... I have a hard time looking at the 488yrds seriously knowing they switched to a prevent D in the 4th and needed to get going after 2 blown calls for big plays in the 1st drive. If you want to know what one of the most consistent stats in football is, is that more then 75% of the SB winners in the last couple decades have been teams that have D's who rank 10th or better in points against. What makes that significant is that around half of those teams didn't rank in the top 10 in yrds allowed.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Well said...

End of the day between now and the end of the 2011 campaign. The #1 question that will need to be answered to the affirmative is...

Do the Pats have a defense that is good enough to win a championship! One that Belicheck trust with the game on the line to punt the ball on forth and one from the 50 yard line up by 1 point and make the other team drive the legnth of the field to win the game...Something he's shown a reluctance to do since the 2005 Superbowl team.

Yards aren't the end all for evaluating NFL defenses but that do tell part of a story....So to me it's about 3rd and 4th down conversion rates, points allowed and Red Zone efficiancies...you don't need to be the best defense to win a championship, but the closer you are to the best it can't hurt...The Pats achillies dating back to 2006 has been their pass defense and that is due to lack of pressure and the bend but don't break phylosophy employed due to a myriad of reasons with the downfield contact rule playing a role...

End of the day I like our new direction and this week will be one of many test the final exam will come in the post season...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The last game is over. Let's move on to the next game. Garbage time yardage is just that. final score was 38-24 in favor of the good guys!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards : Particularly with New England, which is notorious for its "Break But Don't Shatter" defense, but that said, you can downplay Chadd Henne and whoever that Fasano guy is all you want, but it's Phillip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson this week . . .  and the D is simply going to have to play better, that's all.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

p-mike,

I don't disagree that we have to play better but I also wouldn't sell the Dolphins short either...

Rivers is clearly better than Henne, but I doubt that Rivers could have played better than him on Monday night...I also don't see Rivers making a ton of plays with his legs either...The only real difference from here I sit is Chargers ability to run the ball between the tackles, Turner is a beast...

Also what we don't know yet is how our defense will attack their offense...Becasue Fasano had a good day, doesn't mean Gates will especially if he's the target of the Pat's game plan...which is typical for Belicheck to devise game plans to take away what teams do best or double their best player...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

It's the end of the world!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

<<Defenses throughout the league got bombarded in week one.>> p-mike

In my judgment this is the single most significant sentence in this thread.  More often than not, this time of year defenses are ahead of offenses in execution and unit cohesion.  This is an unusual year and the inverse is true.  I don't believe that it is possible to make any real assessment of the Pats D (or any NFL D for that matter) until we've got 1/4 of the season done.  If the Pats are still giving up that kind of yardage (not the best measure anyway) then perhaps it is time to raise an eyebrow or two.

My 2 cents.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Who is Turner?  Michael Turner? He hasn't been there since 2008. Tolbert is dinged up and I am not sure he can be as effective as he normally would be.

My bust I meant Tolbert....but the gist of my post is that Sandiego's offense is very good and obviulsy rivers is among the best, but the real difference between them and the offense that Miami showed us on Monday is there ability to run between the tackles...Bush is not a guy that is gonna move piles...or make the extra yards after contact...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to did we all forget 488 yards:
    [QUOTE]we just gave up 488 yards to a bad miami team i hope our d improves soon or we will be out of the playoffs again quickly
    Posted by vegasredsox[/QUOTE]

Mike Reiss estimated that at least 140 of those yards were garbage time yards when we played soft enough for a college team to gain the yardage. Did we play perfect---No, but we played adequate and applied decent pressure on the QB throughout the game. We also have to keep in mind that this defense will only improve as long as we stay healthy. Haynesworth and ellis saw extremely limited time in the preseason as well as Bodden and spikes and a host more. I was encouraged by what I saw Monday night and I expect it to only get better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Outside of Henne running the ball, Miami had what, 39 yards on 13 carries?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

with the patriots offense who cares? miami has a very good defense and the patriots went up and down the field on them all night.

i know they have to play better defense to win the superbowl but this is a very new defense from the scheme to the personnel.. they will improve throughout the season and play their best after thanksgiving, just like many of belichicks best teams have. 

imo they are going to get a lot of pressure on the slower rivers sunday. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

First time this unit has played together.  they gave up a lot of yard on the first drive but shut them down after that until they wanted to use up the clock in the 4th quarter.  Why give teams more film to review when the game is in hand?  The two goal line stands were something to be proud of.  the 2 for 14 on third down was good.  BB has always had defenses that allowed a lot of yardage but not a lot of points.  The old bend but dont break mentality.  This week I think you will see a different defense.  This week they will try for more 3 and out's.  The offense will try to control the clock and time of possesion. We should just say "Good Job!!" to the defense.  They we good enough to win.  they will get better as the season progresses.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The difference between this defense and last year, is there are players on the team that have more talent and will improve..last year there wasn't. They were bringing guys in off the street last year because of injuries and low talent level. I like the pressure they put on Henne towards the end of the game (you wouldn't of seen that last year). A lot of the passes completed were very good catches, where the receiver made a hell of a play on the pass. They look like they are a bigger front and you could tell on some of the short yardage stuff; which will be huge when the weather gets cold and teams have to run it.

Overall there looks like there's something to build upon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

In Response to did we all forget 488 yards:
    [QUOTE]we just gave up 488 yards to a bad miami team i hope our d improves soon or we will be out of the playoffs again quickly
    Posted by vegasredsox[/QUOTE]

And dallas hung 406 on the vaunted jets defense..... so your point?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards : True, but in all honesty, I don't feel our down the middle Run is bad, nor was it last year.  It was the edges with the OLBs and issues at DE, hence why Wilfork was moved to strong side DE. I am not discounting SD's danger here whatsoever. I just don't think you can look at passing yards by one QB one week and think it equates to the same or better for the next QB because he is superior. NE held a Vincent Jacksonless offense to 20 points last year with less of a pass rush, more inexperience and on the road. NE matches up well here and always has against SD.   If Sproles was still there, I'd be really concerned.

I see this game as one that we should win, it's our home opener...I'm pretty certain the opening tribute to Mrs Kraft will be very emotional and add that much more to the Patriots quest to win...

Sections
Shortcuts