did we all forget 488 yards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Re: did we all forget 488 yards

At the risk of sounding like a blind Pollyanna and a "Kool-Aid" drinker, one of the most useless types of stats in all of football is "volume passing stats" (i.e.--pass the ball a lot of times, gain a lot of yards). Winning in the NFL is all about efficiency. How efficiently did you pass the ball en route to gaining those 416 yards (and 488 total yards for that matter)?

Using that measuring stick, the Dolphins were not very efficient on Monday night, and the Pats' defense was the reason.

They had first-and-goal inside the 5 at key moments twice in the second half, yet came away with 3 points, total (similar to what the Pats did, or didn't do, in the first quarter of the playoff game against the Jets, in fact).

Miami also went 2 for 14 on third down. They made up for some of the inefficiency there with a 4 for 5 record on fourth down, but a couple of those came on their final drive, I believe.

While the Miami "rushing" attack looks effective on paper, the Pats did what they had to do, namely, shutting down Reggie Bush completely. If the QB scrambles for 50+ yards and a TD, then kudos to him, but we all know what is meant by the term "running the football," and that's handing it off to your backs and trying to gain yards, preferably at a 4 yards-per-carry clip or better.

The Patriots, in fact, made Miami work very hard for those 24 points they scored on Monday. The Dolphins had to gain more than 20 yards for every point scored, in fact (488 divided by 24 points = 20.33 yards per point scored). If you're keeping score at home, that's a very inefficient offensive output.

Now, with all of that said, am I concerned about San Diego this Sunday? Yes, quite.

Rivers is better than Henne; Gates is better than Fasano; Jackson's probably better than Marshall; and the San Diego O-line and ground attack are better than Miami's (though that Dolphins' O-line is pretty good).

San Diego WILL move the ball, because they move it against every defense, even the good ones. The key will be limiting their point total, of course.

In other words, the key will be limiting their offensive efficiency, as the Pats' defense did to Miami on Monday night.

But really, I think some of us here have become so used to seeing the post-Super Bowl defenses get pushed around a bit too much that we've become way too sensitive every time they give up a first down or a TD drive. It's the NFL, and these teams the Pats are facing every week are good--even the bad teams have their good days (see the Cleveland Browns last season, who not only smoked the Pats but also smoked the Saints, in New Orleans). Add the fact that the NFL WANTS offenses to pass the ball for a lot of yards and has skewed the rules accordingly, and you end up with the kinds of numbers that Henne, and even Cam Newton, a rookie making his first NFL start, put up last weekend.

In the end, I'll take 4 sacks, 10 pressures (or hits, whatever it was) on Henne, and a 2/14 third down conversion rate and say, "hey, that's better than last year at least."

The D does need to improve, but I think they've already taken a step in the right direction.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The D doesn't need to improve.  The rest of the NFL needs to improve if they want to have any shot of scoring against us this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards:
    [QUOTE]At the risk of sounding like a blind Pollyanna and a "Kool-Aid" drinker, one of the most useless types of stats in all of football is "volume passing stats" (i.e.--pass the ball a lot of times, gain a lot of yards). Winning in the NFL is all about efficiency. How efficiently did you pass the ball en route to gaining those 416 yards (and 488 total yards for that matter)? Using that measuring stick, the Dolphins were not very efficient on Monday night, and the Pats' defense was the reason. They had first-and-goal inside the 5 at key moments twice in the second half, yet came away with 3 points, total (similar to what the Pats did, or didn't do, in the first quarter of the playoff game against the Jets, in fact). Miami also went 2 for 14 on third down. They made up for some of the inefficiency there with a 4 for 5 record on fourth down, but a couple of those came on their final drive, I believe. While the Miami "rushing" attack looks effective on paper, the Pats did what they had to do, namely, shutting down Reggie Bush completely. If the QB scrambles for 50+ yards and a TD, then kudos to him, but we all know what is meant by the term "running the football," and that's handing it off to your backs and trying to gain yards, preferably at a 4 yards-per-carry clip or better. The Patriots, in fact, made Miami work very hard for those 24 points they scored on Monday. The Dolphins had to gain more than 20 yards for every point scored, in fact (488 divided by 24 points = 20.33 yards per point scored). If you're keeping score at home, that's a very inefficient offensive output. Now, with all of that said, am I concerned about San Diego this Sunday? Yes, quite. Rivers is better than Henne; Gates is better than Fasano; Jackson's probably better than Marshall; and the San Diego O-line and ground attack are better than Miami's (though that Dolphins' O-line is pretty good). San Diego WILL move the ball, because they move it against every defense, even the good ones. The key will be limiting their point total, of course. In other words, the key will be limiting their offensive efficiency, as the Pats' defense did to Miami on Monday night. But really, I think some of us here have become so used to seeing the post-Super Bowl defenses get pushed around a bit too much that we've become way too sensitive every time they give up a first down or a TD drive. It's the NFL, and these teams the Pats are facing every week are good--even the bad teams have their good days (see the Cleveland Browns last season, who not only smoked the Pats but also smoked the Saints, in New Orleans). Add the fact that the NFL WANTS offenses to pass the ball for a lot of yards and has skewed the rules accordingly, and you end up with the kinds of numbers that Henne, and even Cam Newton, a rookie making his first NFL start, put up last weekend. In the end, I'll take 4 sacks, 10 pressures (or hits, whatever it was) on Henne, and a 2/14 third down conversion rate and say, "hey, that's better than last year at least." The D does need to improve, but I think they've already taken a step in the right direction.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

^^^^^This. All of it. Thought those Goal Line stands spoke volumes bout this D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

"stats are for losers!" -BB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Four sacks,ten hits and a dozen or more hurries amounts to whole lot more than being OK on the pass rush.The Pats pressure was there constantly when the Pats played soft zones during garbage time simply to kill off the clock.All of the DL got pressure except for Carter and he was going against argueably the best OT in the game(e.g.-Long).The Miami ground attack was stuffed except for Henne,who,in fact also)made some ouststanding throws on the run,a fact that surprised me but credit him for doing it.Plus the safety duo of Barrett and Chung(who was outstanding and Barrett was in position,tackled better and took angles that were an improvement over Merriweather and all in all showed signs of being to handle the FS slot at an acceptable level in time)hardly worked together at all during training camp and played as well or better than anyone had a right to expect.Also deserving a mention is the fact  that Bodden missed last season for all intents and purposes,lost some time during training camp and played with a bad hand.Spikes wasn't there to patrol the middle(Fletcher works unbelieveably hard but is lacking the size to consistently do the job of a starter but may have to if the Spikes situation spirals out of control).The defenses' performance was more than encouraging and certainly it is rational to believe they will continue to improve as they learn to work together better and become more comfortable to their roles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to did we all forget 488 yards:
    [QUOTE]we just gave up 488 yards to a bad miami teamPosted by vegasredsox[/QUOTE]

you sure they're bad?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Concerns about the D and the O-line remain. But a clear picture of where we stand will not emerge for another 5 games or so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It's only one game.

Check out the stats for the best defenses after week 1.

Total Defense
    1. San Diego Chargers   187.0
    2. Seattle Seahawks     209.0
    3. Buffalo Bills              213.0
    4. San Francisco 49ers  219.0
    5. Houston Texans        236.0

Passing
    1. San Diego Chargers    28.0
    2. Denver Broncos         99.0
    3. Buffalo Bills             105.0
    4. Seattle Seahawks    124.0
    5. Cleveland Browns     155.0

Rushing
    1. Oakland Raiders         38.0
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars   43.0
    3. Dallas Cowboys         45.0
    4. Detroit Lions             56.0
    5. Houston Texans        64.0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Henne came in with the reputation of a poor decision maker at times and can be shaken up back there in the pocket.  During the 2nd half that pocket was falling apart and Henne stood in there and threw the ball accurately to the open reciever.  Henne was on about as much as I've ever seen him. 

The big difference in the defense is that Henne only had 3 to 4 seconds to get rid of that ball.  He did so many times just before getting nailed.  Last year Henne had time to read the paper.

Another reason to be optomistic is that this is a new defense.  The responsibilities have changed for every player out there.  Folks are going to be out of place at times or a little late because there are having to think still instead of reacting.  I liked what I saw in Miami.  The only thing that got me was the TE having a free run.  That was a busted assignment. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Henne came in with the reputation of a poor decision maker at times and can be shaken up back there in the pocket.  During the 2nd half that pocket was falling apart and Henne stood in there and threw the ball accurately to the open reciever.  Henne was on about as much as I've ever seen him.  Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

My observations too. Even though they lost, Henne might have gotten some confidence from this game and may help him this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My definition of Hail Mary time is needing 2 scores in 3 minutes or 3 scores in 10 minutes.  The onside kickoff is a Hail Mary play.  Well after Hail Mary time comes true garbage time, when whichever qb needs the practice comes in and throws meaningless five yard passes.  Think Tennessee behind by 59 points.  Before Hail Mary time comes urgent time, when your team has about a 95% chance of losing.  Bombs and gimmick plays are slightly common, but plodding ahead can theoretically still win the game.  In urgent time, the team that's ahead usually runs the ball three times and punts.  Exception:  Patriots, because guys like Wes Welker are wide open for 99 yard victory runs and Brady doesn't miss too often.

The D did a tremendous job with symmetrical football scores.  The D looked different in urgent time and in Hail Mary time, but I thought they were running their urgent time D moderately well. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I never liked it when they measure teams by yards. Rankings should be done by points scored and points allowed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards : ^^^^^This. All of it. Thought those Goal Line stands spoke volumes bout this D.
    Posted by irishfanatic[/QUOTE]

fully agree. no way that the d in the last three years would ahve made those stands.

i also have a feeling this d will turn into a don't bend don't break type.

the only thing that gets me concerned is dowling's injury risk. i am loving his play so far. for some reason, i am alwats holding my breath until he gets back up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards : My bust I meant Tolbert....but the gist of my post is that Sandiego's offense is very good and obviulsy rivers is among the best, but the real difference between them and the offense that Miami showed us on Monday is there ability to run between the tackles...Bush is not a guy that is gonna move piles...or make the extra yards after contact...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

isn't tolbert injured? i think both sides of our team need work, but i do believe that miami has improved since last year and i also think that miami will beat the jets at least once.  plus the miami game was in miami on monday night, a place where we typically struggle.  the SD game is at home!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: did we all forget 488 yards : isn't tolbert injured? i think both sides of our team need work, but i do believe that miami has improved since last year and i also think that miami will beat the jets at least once.  plus the miami game was in miami on monday night, a place where we typically struggle.  the SD game is at home!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I do too...If Henne conitnues to play as he did on Monday night. Miami is going to be a tough out for a lot of teams...they have some pretty good skill guys and along with their new offensive phylosophy they're much improved over last year..They do need to address their goaline/short yardage offense and get someone that can run the wham and move the pile...That said, Henne is the key...

Miami's defense got shredded at home They were rated in the top 10 last year so time will tell if game one was an aberation or a harbinger of things to come...Perhap the key to the game was Solder's ability to take on Wake 1 on 1 and win the battle, thus we didn't need to double or chip their best pass rusher. Allowing us to open the play book and if given time Brady, will find the open guy...

18. This post has been removed.