Differences between 2011 Pats and 2009 Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

Re: Differences between 2011 Pats and 2009 Pats?

About 6 weeks ago my feeling was that this team was soft. Not anymore. In the past month and a half this team became maybe the most mentally tough team since the 2001 team. That to me is the biggest difference. There have been more talented teams, but These guys just have a yard of guts, and that's why no lead is safe against them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Differences between 2011 Pats and 2009 Pats?:
    In Response to Re: Differences between 2011 Pats and 2009 Pats? : I tend to agree with 49er on the offense as the Pats have much more options in the passing game vs Baltimore this time. NE in 2009 had only 2 recievers with more than 405 yards in Welker and Moss (who both had 1200+). Once Welker was taken out, this was a grossly imbalanced offense and not in the tradition of what NE likes to do in spreading the ball around. This year NE has 4 recievers available with over 700 yards comming into the Ravens game. Much more difficult to match up against than in 2009. I think the running game is basically a wash but I like Ridley's potential on Sunday than anyone NE had 2 years ago and Woodhead's alway a wildcard who can have nice pops. I have to say 49er is too generous on the defense though.  Mostly he has NE looking stronger accross the board on defense, with 1 small downgrade at CB.  Come on.... NE has given up about 90 more passing  yards game this year than 2 years ago and about 3.3 points/game on D.  It is not better than that season as a whole.  Bodden had an excellent year and the 2 safeties actually did play well that season.  Sanders was always steady and Merryweather had a much better year in 2009 than in 2010 (he actully stunk in 2010).  The saftey and CB play this year has generally been awful.  Getting Chung back is helpful but overall the secondary is very bad going into the Baltimore game this season. What's not been addressed is the Ravens this year vs 2009.  It's lazy and superficial analysis simply to conclude that 2 players on that team are older and thus the Ravens have taken a step back. They have improved in a couple of key areas: pass rush, secondary and WRs. T Sizzle had 4.5 sacks in 2009 but 12 this year.  Overall the Ravens have gone from 32 sacks to 46 as a team.  They really like Ladarius Webb at CB and Ngata is having an outstanding year at DE/DT.  Overall their defense has improved against the pass this year, mostly due to an improved pass rush.  NE's pass rush has also improved from 30 sacks to 40 but 10 of those came from the now injured A Carter. The area I worry about most (along with a bull rush up the middle into Brady from Ngata and the D line) is the Ravens WRs.  A Boltin and Tory Smith are the type of big, strong, fast WRs that have given NE's DBs fits all season. If they play back in a 2 deep zone, that gives too much room underneath for dump offs to the deadly Ray Rice to run in space.  This is a big improvement from the 2009 team that had aging Derick Mason and Mark Clayton.  NE will need to get some kind of pass rush on Flacco to protect it's secondary.  The one thing Flacco does well is through the deep ball for completions or (very often) interferenc penalties on the Defense.   The linebackers will have to make quick reads and tackle well to contain Ray Rice to prevent the 83 yard break away he did on the first play of the game in 2009 or more likely scampers off of short throws and screens this Sunday. 
    Posted by bobomul

Bobomul,

Though the Pats are allowing 90 more passing yards and 3.3 points per game more than the team did two years ago, it is not because of talent. It is because of scheme. This team has a D that is more talented than two years ago just as 49 said. They just happen to be on the same team that has more often than not been up by three scores before the third quarter is half way over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

About 6 weeks ago my feeling was that this team was soft. Not anymore. In the past month and a half this team became maybe the most mentally tough team since the 2001 team. That to me is the biggest difference. There have been more talented teams, but These guys just have a yard of guts, and that's why no lead is safe against them.
    Posted by RTSully6931

indeed  this team has not had this kind of mental toughness for quite some time 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

2 virtually uncoverable tight ends as well. If you are talking about the playoff game against Ravens also Welker will be there as he got hurt the week before that game against Ravens in 09. Also Brady was only just feeling his way back after the major knee injury in 09. Linebackers are better as well now with Spikes,Nickovich and Mayo all stand outs last week against Denver. Looking at Baltimore their defensive stars in Suggs,Lewis and Reed are all a couple of years older and slower and we have seen first hand what age can do to even the greatest defensive players in the playoffs Brucshi and Harrison.
    Posted by Brad34

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

You think Suggs is over the hill? Think again! He's only the best OLB in the NFL and Reed can still play as evidenced by his late int against HTN. You don't know football!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In Response to Re: Differences between 2011 Pats and 2009 Pats? : Bobomul, Though the Pats are allowing 90 more passing yards and 3.3 points per game more than the team did two years ago, it is not because of talent. It is because of scheme. This team has a D that is more talented than two years ago just as 49 said. They just happen to be on the same team that has more often than not been up by three scores before the third quarter is half way over.
    Posted by rtuinila

What's the difference in scheme that caused a 90 yard increase in passing allowed and more points allowed?  In 2009 the Pats were also up big often and let up yards that year but the defense was overall better at limiting the opponents yards and points.  The secondary is CLEARLY much worse this year than in 2009.  We'll see if the Pats can limit Flacco and Baltimore but the worry is that the Ravens have the type of WRs that do very well vs NE's secondary. 

I do like the diversity of the offense much better this year than in 2009 and believe NE wins a high scoring shootout vs the Ravens on Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

This team is a reaction to 2007, 2009 and 2010.  They are built from inside out to take pressure off.  I know they were in place last year, but it was the failure at TE that allowed the Jests to get away with that game.  This team is built to beat the NY Giants in the Superbowl.  

Sections
Shortcuts