Different spin on Michael Vick topic...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

Different spin on Michael Vick topic...

I was just thinking about this while commenting on yet another MV discussion...

One side of the whole issue that hasn't been discussed...the side of the NFL players who work hard, ARE GREAT role models, stay out of the news and out of trouble...I know this would never happen, but do you think that the NFL Player's Union would ever stand up against a player who have broken FEDERAL Laws and obviously hurts the NFL's reputation, thus hurting everyone elses paychecks because they cause the NFL to loose audience, fans and customers?

The reason for this thought is, just like a driver's liscense, playing in the NFL is a privelege and I bet their are MANY NFL players who feel this way & MANY MORE who are striving to make it in the NFL. Like others have said, if MV or any other player is allowed to keep playing even in the face of living a illegal lifestyle especially breaking FEDERAL LAWS, then all you will have is a league of players and ESPECIALLY future players who feel they are untouchable!  Because of this sentament, I believe they would be a huge detriment to the NFL Players Association as well to fellow NFL players.

Your thoughts...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic...

Personally I see no reason why MV should be allowed to play again. He lied directly to Blank and Goodell's faces. He broke several federal laws. He was the highest paid QB EVER when he was signed - there was no sense in what he did at all.

I feel that getting paid millions is a privilege not a right, and while MV should be allowed to work again, at no point do I think he deserves to make that kind of money. If he wanted to work in the NFL and make 10 - 20 dollars an hour that'd be fair, sure. But not the millions that he'd have to get paid.

I also hate it when people give me the BS line "He's paid his dues... He's been made a scapegoat..." That is BS. If he HADN'T been MV he'd have been in jail for another decade. He's already gotten one of the lightest sentences possible, and to further give him back the money that he doesn't deserve is really a slap in the face of ANY NFL fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't buy the scapegoat theory. Two other guys offered to testify before Vick, thus making them less elusive and more intelligent. That Vick may not have been the ringleader is irrelevent. He was convicted and did his time. Some can't wait to see him get his shot at redemption. I am not one of those people. Was Vick talented ? Yes. Did he bring excitement to the game and put fans in the seats ? Yes. Is his continued participation in the NFL essential for its survival
     No. Vick needs the NFL more than the NFL needs him. He got relatively short suspension for a heinous crime that also involved gambling. Anybody recall what happened when Art Schlichter gambled on football. He continued unabated until he felt his own life was threatened and he had to testify.  Will Vick relapse
    Has Vick been contrite.. not really. I believe that Vick will be playing again (jets wildcat pick up) just don`t want him on my team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic...:
    [QUOTE]Personally I see no reason why MV should be allowed to play again. He lied directly to Blank and Goodell's faces. He broke several federal laws. He was the highest paid QB EVER when he was signed - there was no sense in what he did at all. I feel that getting paid millions is a privilege not a right, and while MV should be allowed to work again, at no point do I think he deserves to make that kind of money. If he wanted to work in the NFL and make 10 - 20 dollars an hour that'd be fair, sure. But not the millions that he'd have to get paid. I also hate it when people give me the BS line "He's paid his dues... He's been made a scapegoat..." That is BS. If he HADN'T been MV he'd have been in jail for another decade. He's already gotten one of the lightest sentences possible, and to further give him back the money that he doesn't deserve is really a slap in the face of ANY NFL fan.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

An employee lied to his boss about doing something illegal? Shocking.

Getting paid millions is based on your skillset and market. If all you can do is shovel dirt, you don't get paid much. Athletes and entertainers happen to have a skillset in a market that happens to pay millions. It isn't a privilege nor is it a right. It just is.

Under all the charges in the Federal indictment, the most Vick could have received was 6 years. Anyone else charged with the same crimes could have gotten the same total. He got about 2.5 years. The last I looked, 3.5 years (The time he might have been sentenced to but wasn't) is not a decade. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I don't buy the scapegoat theory. Two other guys offered to testify before Vick, thus making them less elusive and more intelligent. That Vick may not have been the ringleader is irrelevent. He was convicted and did his time. Some can't wait to see him get his shot at redemption. I am not one of those people. Was Vick talented ? Yes. Did he bring excitement to the game and put fans in the seats ? Yes. Is his continued participation in the NFL essential for its survival  No. Vick needs the NFL more than the NFL needs him. He got relatively short suspension for a heinous crime that also involved gambling. Anybody recall what happened when Art Schlichter gambled on football. He continued unabated until he felt his own life was threatened and he had to testify.  Will Vick relapse Has Vick been contrite.. not really. I believe that Vick will be playing again (jets wildcat pick up) just don`t want him on my team.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

He hasn't been suspended yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

My mistake, Enoch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic... : An employee lied to his boss about doing something illegal? Shocking. Getting paid millions is based on your skillset and market. If all you can do is shovel dirt, you don't get paid much. Athletes and entertainers happen to have a skillset in a market that happens to pay millions. It isn't a privilege nor is it a right. It just is. Under all the charges in the Federal indictment, the most Vick could have received was 6 years. Anyone else charged with the same crimes could have gotten the same total. He got about 2.5 years. The last I looked, 3.5 years (The time he might have been sentenced to but wasn't) is not a decade. 
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Boy I'm glad I'm not the only person who realizes this.  This man was (maybe still is) one of the best quarterbacks in the WORLD.  If you were the best (whatever you do) in the WORLD...  you'd be able to get your job back after a prision sentence too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic... : Boy I'm glad I'm not the only person who realizes this.  This man was (maybe still is) one of the best quarterbacks in the WORLD.  If you were the best (whatever you do) in the WORLD...  you'd be able to get your job back after a prision sentence too.
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]

I am not advocating he gets his job back. I took exception to the "facts" posted by the individual. 

Vick still has not been punished by the NFL and should be. If Goodell applies the personal conduct policy, I see a 4-8 game suspension. Vick's actions really cast a negative light on the league and that is what the personal conduct policy was revamped for. I have read where Goodell wants to make it probationary. My thought is that all reinstatements are probationary so what is the point of actually explicitly referring to it as such except as some type of appeasement to those against reinstatement.

After that, Goodell is probably (because he hasn't decided yet) right in basically allowing the market to decide Vick's actually involvement in an NFL team. Any team that picks him up is going to have to balance the positives he brings to the field with the negatives he brings in publicity. If that works out for a team, Vick will be back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

What my origional post topic was asking about the side of the "PLAYERS UNION," current NFL Players who work hard & aren't getting into trouble as well as future NFL players, especially quarterbacks...

Looks like TO has his opinion:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20090726terrell_owens_wants_nfl_to_reinstate_michael_vick/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Lenord Little, a DE that played for the Rams played in 2 super bowls, killed a woman while driving intoxicated, the woman he killed was the wife of the teams photographer....to my knowledge he was never suspended and he still played in the nfl for several years after the "traffic accident" .come on people get your heads our of you arses! Dogs or a human life, where were you mofo's then?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Lenord Little, a DE that played for the Rams played in 2 super bowls, killed a woman while driving intoxicated, the woman he killed was the wife of the teams photographer....to my knowledge he was never suspended and he still played in the nfl for several years after the "traffic accident" .come on people get your heads our of you arses! Dogs or a human life, where were you mofo's then?
    Posted by bchan89[/QUOTE]

<sigh>

You do realize of curse that the personal conduct code instituted by Roger Goodell at the behest of the NFLPA came about in late 2006. I think that is about 8 years after the Leonard Little incident. 

Aside from that, the Rams placed him on the non-football injury list for the legal issues and he only played in about 6 games that season. The NFL suspended him for 8 games in 1999. Again, before Goodell's instituted the new get tough stance on personal conduct. 

And, he is still in the NFL. With the Rams.

Finally, this bulletin board did not exist in 1998. So I am not sure where exactly people were. 

I do find it interesting that you indicate people have their "head up their arses" even while you are posting something indicating you have no idea how to look up information on the Internet. In the vernacular of my former geographic domain, That's Wicked Rahtahdit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic... : I am not advocating he gets his job back. I took exception to the "facts" posted by the individual.  Vick still has not been punished by the NFL and should be. If Goodell applies the personal conduct policy, I see a 4-8 game suspension. Vick's actions really cast a negative light on the league and that is what the personal conduct policy was revamped for. I have read where Goodell wants to make it probationary. My thought is that all reinstatements are probationary so what is the point of actually explicitly referring to it as such except as some type of appeasement to those against reinstatement. After that, Goodell is probably (because he hasn't decided yet) right in basically allowing the market to decide Vick's actually involvement in an NFL team. Any team that picks him up is going to have to balance the positives he brings to the field with the negatives he brings in publicity. If that works out for a team, Vick will be back.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Vick is under an indefinite suspension...what do you mean he hasn't been punished yet?  If he wasn't suspended, Atlanta would have had to pay him his salary for the past 2 seasons, and he wouldn't have to "show remorse" to Goodell for re-instatement.  Giving the man 4 more games is just a way to make the man suffer more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Different spin on Michael Vick topic... : Vick is under an indefinite suspension...what do you mean he hasn't been punished yet?  If he wasn't suspended, Atlanta would have had to pay him his salary for the past 2 seasons, and he wouldn't have to "show remorse" to Goodell for re-instatement.  Giving the man 4 more games is just a way to make the man suffer more.
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]

You are right, he is. I am referring to the recent discussion about his re-instatement where a lot of people were saying it is a done deal with a 4 game suspension. Apologies for my misleading statement.

But, no, Vick has not been punished by the league as of yet. An indefinite suspension while he is in jail isn't any type of consequence. That is like punishing your child by sending her to her room and then saying that while she is in there she can't use the car. 

I am not sure about the rules that indicate the Falcons would have to pay any player's salary if he is in jail and unavailable to play. It seems to be a non-starter. I admit if there are issues around that then the indefinite suspension would certainly help facilitate not paying him. I know they went to arbitration regarding his bonuses. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Vick should have to suffer more he is a piece of sh*t. He is lucky he even gets a shot at teh NFL again he should be happy all he got was a 4 game slap on the wrist. Guys like him have no place in the NFL talent is not everything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, we should have no doubt as to Taz's opinion on this matter! I happen to agree he should not be allowed back in the leage. As for the indefinite suspension placed on him before he went to jail, that was to allow the Falcons to withhold his salary...yet still retain his rights. He was not released by the team until a couple months ago. But Enoch is correct, the suspension meant nothing as far as being able to play. As far as I know they do not have a work release program in Leavenworth! As for the original "question" of this thread, I doubt the players union would make any stand to keep a player out of the league, whether a majority of other players felt that way or not. I do not think that would be any part of their function, being mainly a representative of the players to the teams. But I have heard that there are players who would like to see these "bad actors" be eliminated from the league. Most likely he will be allowed to play at some point, and whichever team signs him will have to bear any bad publicity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

They should just let him go to the UFL cause Vick would never be able to win a championship in the NFL anyways so he might as well go own the semi pro league that is the UFL. He can win like 5 championships in a row for the 4 team UFL come on thats the same right? He was a s ucky QB before jail and he will s uck now too so let him play for the UFL and let the stand up guys play in the NFL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

It is interesting how the folks at PETA, Nature Conservancy,Sierra Club and Audubon Society  created this atmosphere of hatred and hysteria.
    Are they aware the Englishman who created the SPCA did not think the treatment of colonial people or Irishmen was an evil,but did believe strongly in the preservation of horses?
    Are Bostonians aware Hitler loved dogs and was a vegetarian,and a fitness freak?
    The black community watches the news at night and sees 400 shootings in  Washington. This standard is set by drug dealers and unfortunately by some NFL players who think should be controlled by their union and that they should use their union lawyers to protect their paychecks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

VVVVVVVVVVick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]It is interesting how the folks at PETA, Nature Conservancy,Sierra Club and Audubon Society  created this atmosphere of hatred and hysteria. Are they aware the Englishman who created the SPCA did not think the treatment of colonial people or Irishmen was an evil,but did believe strongly in the preservation of horses? Are Bostonians aware Hitler loved dogs and was a vegetarian,and a fitness freak? The black community watches the news at night and sees 400 shootings in  Washington. This standard is set by drug dealers and unfortunately by some NFL players who think should be controlled by their union and that they should use their union lawyers to protect their paychecks.
    Posted by TarheelChief[/QUOTE]

What?

Sections
Shortcuts