Dilfer Finds Flacco Flaw

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

Re: Dilfer Finds Flacco Flaw

Saw that too this morning! I still believe Houston had a better O than Baltimore does. Protect to right side deep, stop the run, and pile up points on offense. Easy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Hope they can take advantage.  They never seemed to figure out that Eli favors the left side of the field, and relies heavily on the fade to the left corner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

IT's funny. I was reading some comments on an article about Flacco, and some Ravens fan made a joke, caling Flacco "Joe 'always throw right' Flacco." I didn't understand it at first, but now I get what he meant.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

if he never throws deep left, he probably will now......lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Yeah in an earlier post I pointed that out sating that Talib will be only playing the right side because thats where he targets. Im 100% positive Bill will notice this too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to maine12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah in an earlier post I pointed that out sating that Talib will be only playing the right side because thats where he targets. Im 100% positive Bill will notice this too.

[/QUOTE]
    If they just knock him on his keester a few times, they won't have to worry about hwere he throws.  PASS RUSH!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

This has been picked on for a while and there's no doubt that teams have already gameplanned for it. 

Torrey Smith is the biggest key. He is where the safeties will be. Even if you think Boldin is better or whatever, you still have to honor speed with a safety. I think for all of Boldin's catches but 1, Torrey was on the opposite side of the field.

The big play Boldin had for like 50 yards came with them both on the right side. But Torrey ran more towards the middle and drove the safety towards him.

Even if Flacco only throws to the right, and Torrey is on the left, you still have to keep the safety on his side.

That's why I think Talib will be best suited for Boldin. You're going to need over the top help for Torrey any ways, so you might as well have your best cb on their go to guyin Boldin. Torrey is pretty much just a deep threat. He has a lot of low stat lines on those days where they dont connect on those huge pass plays

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I've noticed it when I've watched Ravens games this year, but I haven't watched that many Ravens games, so I thought it was just circumstantial. If it really is a preference for Flacco, then I'm sure BB will notice and take advantage of that.

Torrey Smith did make some great downfield plays, but one thing I have to criticize the Denver defense is the way they played Smith. They know Smith is a very fast dude, yet they had Champ Bailey going one-on-one against him in press coverage. Bailey lined up literally a yard away from Smith before the snap. Then, Bailey never really jammed up Smith and gave him a free release while playing press coverage. That confuses me. What result did they expect other than Torrey Smith getting downfield and making big plays?

I'm sure Talib isn't going to play Smith the same way. I don't want to take anything away from Joe Flacco and his victory in Denver. He played a good game, but I think some of his performance resulted from poor Denver defense, especially their poor defensive scheme.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Flaco's been playing in the NFL for how long and Dilfer thinks he's found a nugget that every other defensive coordinator somehow has overlooked with enough game film on the guy and a chart of frequency of plays called based on down and distance. To fill a construction dumbster. The name of the game for defensive coordinators is to look for tendencies and then prepare your team based on what teams are likely to do given the score of the game, field position and down and distance...the rule of thumb is typically, once the offense gets between the 40's the odd of them taking a shot down field increases in frequency...In part becasue if they fail to convert, they can punt the ball deep and give the other offense a long field...

While I love to watch the former players on the networks breakdown film and give us a glimpse into the world of NFL game planning...Perhaps his propensity to throw the ball deep to the right side, is simply becasue he's righthanded and it's easier for him to drop back and chuck it down the right sideline vs having to reset his feet, turn his hips to throw it down the leftside. Or it could be as simple as the Ravens playbook likes the matchup to that side certainly looked that way in Denver...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB likes to play the Ravens with a cover-2, but to do so, he has to make sure his front-7 is holding their own against Ray Rice. That's what happened in the last game, the front-7 held until late in the 3rd quarter. Then BB had to call up Chung and the Ravens had a field day with McCourty and Arrington. 

This time around, even if our front 7 doesn't hold, I trust our CBs to man up the Ravens' WRs. I think Talib can hold Smith down and that Dennard was made for a reciever like Bodden, but Arrington leaves a lot to be desired. 

At least, now, we have McCourty patroling the middle of the field since he has more range than Chung and Gregory...combined. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Blitz him, make him uncomfortable.  Mayo is fantastic on a delayed blitz.  I'm really months too scared by Caldwell.    He was a scary head coach wasn't he?  I worry about pierce, he's been running pretty hard as of late.  He looked fast and to run downhill.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Deep throws are a concern but also a chance for picks. San Fran ran multiple deep receivers at a time with seam routes.  Kapernick had the arm to attack these seams. 

I think Wilson will get a lot of snaps as 3rd safety patrolling those seam routes from pitta or Jones.  I like spikes patrolling short picking up those crossing patterns , nink and Hightower on the flanks . I think you man up dennard on smith and talib on boldin. That leaves mayo on rice with 3 man rush or sub out spikes for Cunningham.

I would like to see that corner blitz with dennard blowing up plays in the backfield and pressuring flacco to get rid of it before deep routes can develop.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I thought this was common knowledge. Flacco has always prefered throwing to his right side and has a strong arm but not much finess. That's why Boldin always cross left to right and Smith is usually on the right side of the field. Flacco is also a sub 60% thrower and gets most of his yards on deep passes. If you make Flacco beat you on dink and dunk passes and limit his deep passes to 2-3 a game at most then you typically see a huge drop in his numbers. The problem is it's easier said than done. Mainly because of Rice. If you try to load up the right side of the field and play deeper you open up the entire left side for Rice to run and screen out to. Rice in space is a scary thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Apparently, he never throws deep/isn't good at throwing deep to his left.

I never noticed it, but Dilfer thinks it's a major flaw BB will see and use in terms of scheming.

The Flacco side of field preference thing has been talked about forever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to RockScully's comment:

Apparently, he never throws deep/isn't good at throwing deep to his left.

I never noticed it, but Dilfer thinks it's a major flaw BB will see and use in terms of scheming.

The Flacco side of field preference thing has been talked about forever

I have heard this discussed before as well.  Clearly it's shortcoming in his game but I guess I'm wondering if it's such a significant flaw why do the Ravens keep winning?  The Pats will have all they can handle on Sunday but I'm confident that BB will have an effective game plan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Flacco has a way with having good games against the Pats.  Just one of those things BB needs to change up this time.  The long passes and catches from the Denver game, hard to believe lightning can strike again in this game to bail out the Ravens.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

IT's funny. I was reading some comments on an article about Flacco, and some Ravens fan made a joke, caling Flacco "Joe 'always throw right' Flacco." I didn't understand it at first, but now I get what he meant.

i think denver knew this as well.. how did that work out? during the course of a game, stuff happens.. bet he can hit wide open guys to his left as well

Actually almost all his long balls were to the right. The S just didn't do there job letting receivers get behind them and taking poor angles towards the receiver.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Deep throws are a concern but also a chance for picks. San Fran ran multiple deep receivers at a time with seam routes.  Kapernick had the arm to attack these seams. 

I think Wilson will get a lot of snaps as 3rd safety patrolling those seam routes from pitta or Jones.  I like spikes patrolling short picking up those crossing patterns , nink and Hightower on the flanks . I think you man up dennard on smith and talib on boldin. That leaves mayo on rice with 3 man rush or sub out spikes for Cunningham.

I would like to see that corner blitz with dennard blowing up plays in the backfield and pressuring flacco to get rid of it before deep routes can develop.

Flacco has not been picked yet on deep throws. This will be the toughest test for this secondary unless ATL and NE play in the Super Bowl

Gotta asumme though that the Dennard/Talib/Arrington package will hold up better than McCourty/Arrington/Moore and Arrington/Moore/Edelman package.

What a terrible cb group we had last season just looking at it. Surprised we didn't give up more than 22 in any of the playoff games

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

And Flacco is on this week's SI cover, good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I am guessing BB noticed this way before Dilfer

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts