Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news.

In Response to Re: Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news. : Don't be so quick to write off the defense. Chung and Spikes are back. BB has been playing with different formations and assignments the entire month of December. He won't be playing any more. The first quarter follies can be a good sign too. They try something, it doesn't work and they adapt. The fact that they can adapt is a good sign. I remain cautiously optimistic.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]
    How true.  Now, BB has a good idea what works ( plus he is getting players back)and he can begin games with these formations and schemes that are working.  When you look at how the D plays after the 1st quarter, as we saw in the Denver, Miami and Buffalo games, there is something there.  A defense doesn't just go from horrible to real good in a heart beat. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

you mean other QBs succeed because they throw to covered receivers? I think we need to alert Tom to this fact as Dilfer has now revolutionized the game with this observation.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]The game has changed. The"offense sells tickets, defense wins titles", doesn't apply, any longer.  The Colts  Super Bowl win had a below average defense.. The Packers last years were ok, nothing great. Our defense worries me, because they are sooooo bad, TB will not get on the field. Having said that, I think New England can score 40 on ANY teaM IN THE PLAYOFFS.
    Posted by bodacious[/QUOTE]

I don't think they are that bad.  They were playing a prevent D early in this game and I think it is because BB was using the game as a practice for his D.  Once they employed a more effective scheme they shut down the Bills and got four INTs.  Watch the coverage if you have it recorded.  The DBs are playing 7-12 yards off of the line.  Also notice that this D is very physical.  They are laying the wood at every chance, in every game.  By the half the opposing receivers are becoming timid, just like would happen in 2001-2005.  They had two of those three scoring drives virtually stopped.  No play-off opponent would be that risky that early in the game against a high-scoring opponent. There were two lame P/I calls agaisnt them, too.

My beef is the sloppy solo tackling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE] Baltimore is very good, but NE has done a pretty good job with Rice and the gameplans in the past.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Oh . . .  sure . . .  they did a wonderful job the last time Baltimore came calling in the playoffs.

Simply outstanding!

Undecided

And I don't know what game you were watching, but the Broncos were running off-tackle for 20-yards a pop. The Pats actually handled Tebow pretty well, but they couldn't handle the smash-mouth, and that is what Baltimore will bring.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news. : Oh . . .  sure . . .  they did a wonderful job the last time Baltimore came calling in the playoffs. Simply outstanding!
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]
    That game was an abherration, p-mike.  The Ravens got off to a smoking start.  It happens!  Different year, different teams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Can't blame Dilfer, as far as his experience goes the only way to win a SB is to have one of the greatest defenses in history carry the QB. He simply can't fathom there's another way.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

I agree that with Chung and Spikes back the D is improving. But I also think this offensive line when all are healthy is one of the better lines they've had. Both Solder and Cannon have gained valuable experience. If Vollmer and Mankins come back for the playoff games then it will give the Patriots a lot of options that could set the tone for a solid running game balancing the run and pass that keeps defenses honest. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that we did not have a healthy Hernandez last year for the playoffs. We've seen both Gronk and Hernandez really grow from last year. It's all about match ups and having them both healthy presents a nightmare for any defense.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely.  And, not this is a huge deal, but Welker is now further removed from his injury.  He's hungry himself. Assuming Mankins is ok, Light is fine, etc, the line should be pretty stout, possibly better than last year's O Line's situation in the playoffs.  Waters has been great. My lone concern on offense is the O'Brien/Brady thing as it has been in the first half this year, almost all year.
    Totally do not understand you maintaining this stance!!  When the offense is working to your specifications, isn't O'Brien still calling the plays?  And when it is not executing, it is O'Brien's fault??  I'd understand if the offense has had a stinker of a year.. it hasn't.  Seems this is in your mind and deeply, too!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

BTW, did anybody notice how much better the line protected and run-blocked when Light was in the game yesterday?  Even hobbled?  It's a crime he didn't make the Prow Bowl.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

If you like jokes, check out my poll thread on Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Super Bowl.  And post a comment after your vote, lest it falls to page two.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dilfer has written the Pats off - Good news. : Are you watching the same team as me?  I love how I ask this direct question, no one answers it, and then they act confused. Here it is again: When was the last time our offense opened a game with a scoring drive (even a FG!) or out of halftime? This was an absolute STAPLE of our SB offenses.  Now, we never, ever see it! Wake up! Why is it offensive for a Pats fan to want our team to take a lead early in a game or score on yout own deferred coin toss win out of halftime??!!!!!!
    I see your point and why is it such an important point to you?  You are using the historical memory of that 2007 year and expecting this to be the norm for this offense.  Says who?  What is MOST important, fast or slow start, is the Patriots are the team in the lead when the clock strikes 00:00!!  I DON'T CARE if they start out slowly as long as they get it together and WIN!  Sure, it gives you angina until they finally get rolling, name a fan who doesn't get sweaty palms when the team starts out struggling.  We'd all wish for a 35 - 0 half time lead every game, but, there is reality!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

love it!!!

"pundits" saying the team is one and done?

this is great!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Because it proves our offense can dictate, extend a drive and punish the other team. It's about momentum and attitude. We struggle to lay down a good drive back to back.  Instead, we have a schizo offense that relies on perfect execution against man coverage or the hope a team plays zone so we can move the ball. Why constant 3 and outs is something you don't care about, ball control, field position, predictability with Brady drilled or sacked over and over, is beyond me. Do you think Brady was sacked and hurried back in say, 2003 or 2004, as you see now? I am a Pats fan and these things I mention above concern me.  People keep ranting abougt Brady running out of time and I want a run game to help him, yet you want him teed up in the pocket in the shotgun for 60% of a game? Why?
    RWTK... you said it right there and the Pats DO NOT have to have a fast start to do this. Think about it.. the FEAR of the Pats offense catching fire at any time in a game drives what another team does. Their offense can't just run out clock, they have to score knowing the Pats will most likely score when they have the ball. It is a RARE game in which the Pats are blown out of the water. Fast starts notwithstanding, which are great.. this team will get its points, just not as fast as YOU would like it to!

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts