Disappointment that hurts the most...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: Disappointment that hurts the most...

Those are all severe disappointments in Boston sports history. I was not born yet for some of those Red Sox losses, but to me it would have to be a toss up between Superbowl 31 and Superbowl 42.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

To me, the 2007 loss hurts a little more - because of the undefeated season and the whole Best Ever thing.  This one is close, though, because of the big mouth Jets. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Twenty-four years later, I still want to punch Calvin Schiraldi in the face.

Yell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Disappointment that hurts the most...:
    [QUOTE]To me, the 2007 loss hurts a little more - because of the undefeated season and the whole Best Ever thing.  This one is close, though, because of the big mouth Jets. 
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

Yes, this^^^^^ hurt the most but for me it was momentary. 

I learned a long time ago that when your team loses, they lose, not me and not you.  I move on as soon as the TV is shut off.  To live and die with  your team is a hard thing to live through, it can be like a three day hang over.  I hate hang overs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crabcakesandfootball. Show Crabcakesandfootball's posts

I would have to say the 1986 World Series loss to the Mets. After flashing on the TV screen about how the sox havn't won since 1918 and were only 2 outs away, then to see the ball go through Bill Buckner's legs, also last years game 7 to the Lakers and the 2008 Super Bowl. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

....my SAT scores

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It hurt but when you consider what the expectations were at the beginning of the season I got over it and enjoyed the unex[ected great ride.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Now that the Jests have failed, I'm pretty much o.k.  I have hope, in that I saw many good things happen this year.  I saw a defense come together and start to really play well.  I saw a return the the short/intermediate game that was the hallmark of our championship teams.  I saw the return of Tom Brady as who I remember him as.  Not in the last game, but in general.  Did we get there?  Not quite.  But we got pretty far, built a solid core of players, got many first and 2nd year guys invaluable experience, found a running back combo we could count on, and many free agents who can return.  Nice year of work, many added pieces from a 2009 team that was just struggling.  I'm feeling good.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]I would have to say the 1986 World Series loss to the Mets. After flashing on the TV screen about how the sox havn't won since 1918 and were only 2 outs away, then to see the ball go through Bill Buckner's legs, .......

Just a minor correction, the Sox weren't 2 outs away, they were one strike away on two occasions in that fateful 10th inning.

"In the top of the tenth inning, Dave Henderson homered to give the Sox a lead, and Barrett singled in Wade Boggs to make it 5–3.

When Wally Backman and Keith Hernandez were retired to start the bottom of the tenth, the Red Sox were one out away from the series victory. The scoreboard in right-center field actually had flashed, briefly, "Congratulations, Boston Red Sox, 1986 World Champions."

After being down to a final strike, Carter singled to left field. Darryl Strawberry's spot would have come up next, however Mets manager Davey Johnson had removed the slugger earlier in the game through a double switch. With pitcher Rick Aguilera due up, Johnson sent Kevin Mitchell to the plate to pinch hit.

Mitchell singled to center field and Carter advanced to second.  Mitchell was followed by Knight, who also was down to a final strike that would've won the Red Sox the game and the series. On an 0–2 pitch from Calvin Schiraldi, Knight hit the next pitch into center field for a single that scored Carter and advanced Mitchell to third base, bringing the score to 5–4 and leaving the tying run only 90 feet (27 m) away.

Red Sox manager John McNamara had seen enough, and with left fielder Mookie Wilson coming to the plate he removed Schiraldi in favor of Bob Stanley. On the seventh pitch of the at bat, with a 2–2 count, Stanley's pitch was too far inside and slipped past catcher Rich Gedman for a wild pitch, sending Wilson to the ground and allowing Mitchell to score from third base with the tying run. Knight moved up to second base on the wild pitch.

With the count 3–2, Wilson fouled off the eighth and ninth pitches from Stanley. Meanwhile, Ray Knight was straying far from second base when Boston shortstop Spike Owen sneaked in behind him. Had Stanley glanced back at second, he would have easily picked Knight off.

With Shea Stadium literally rocking, Wilson stepped back in with a full count and the winning run in scoring position. On the tenth pitch of the at-bat, Wilson hit a slow ground ball up the first base line that appeared to be an easy play for Boston first baseman Bill Buckner. As the speedy Wilson busted out of the box, the ball snuck between the legs of Buckner who was playing on two bad ankles. The ball slipped under his glove, and rolled slowly into right field.

The irony is that, throughout the playoffs, whenever the Red Sox had a late inning lead, Buckner was usually pulled for Dave Stapleton for defensive purposes. This time, Red Sox manager John McNamara left Buckner in the game so he could be on the field for the final out if the Red Sox won."

Yup, you're right, that's still very painful, and may very well supercede the PATS recent loss.  Check back with me in 25 years for a better take on the 'loss/hurt scale'. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

You only think you feel bad.  Here, check out these links, these guys feel much worse.  Take your pick or read 'em all.  The funny thing is that as fans, they really aren't any different than we are.  All of us are just guys "rooting for laundry."

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64362

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64286

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64355

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=64340

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginiaPats. Show VirginiaPats's posts

Truthfully, i'm not really disapointed in this season, Consider the fact at the beginning of the year we were classified as a rebuilding team this year. So going 14-2 rebuilding coupled with 3 pics out of the first 33, yeah i'm really not so disapointed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm with you VirginiaPats.

I think everyone here needs to take themselves back to the beginning of the season.  A lot of folks had given up on this team before a game had been played.  Complaints about not keeping up with the Jets who where favored to go to the SB and the porous defense were abound.  Then you trade Maroney and Moss during the season.  You have two defensive starters placed on IR at the beginning of the season.  This team has come a long, long way.

It does stink losing to the Jets though and I beleive that's what so hard about the loss.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame1. Show itsjustagame1's posts

In Response to Disappointment that hurts the most...:
    [QUOTE]I admit my disappointment has not yet ebbed. But I think the 'hurt' of this loss supercedes all others. Would anyone care to mention a more devastating loss. I've reflected on the 2003 Red Sox ALCS loss to the Yankees; 2010 Celtics game 7 loss to the Lakers; 1986 Red Sox World Series loss to the Mets; 2007 Patriots AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts; and the 2008 Patriots Super Bowl loss to the Giants; to name but a few. Also, at the time, I thought I'd never get over the 1967 Sox World Series loss to the Cards nor the 1975 World Series loss to the Reds. Edith Piaf was once quoted as saying, "I think you have to pay for love with bitter tears." I dig it, cause I do so love my Sox, Celtics, and PATS.
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

yeah, but it disappoint as much as 2007, did it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

The Super Bowl Loss to the Bears in 86.

We weren't supposed to win, but it was such a devastating loss.

Never mind that Super Bowl Shuffle dance video the bears players did before the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I'm a creative and a marketing guy and so far, the most disappointing thing is that you're using Comic Sans as your font!

=(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

[QUOTE]I admit my disappointment has not yet ebbed. But I think the 'hurt' of this loss supercedes all others. Would anyone care to mention a more devastating loss. I've reflected on the 2003 Red Sox ALCS loss to the Yankees; 2010 Celtics game 7 loss to the Lakers; 1986 Red Sox World Series loss to the Mets; 2007 Patriots AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts; and the 2008 Patriots Super Bowl loss to the Giants; to name but a few. Also, at the time, I thought I'd never get over the 1967 Sox World Series loss to the Cards nor the 1975 World Series loss to the Reds. Edith Piaf was once quoted as saying, "I think you have to pay for love with bitter tears." I dig it, cause I do so love my Sox, Celtics, and PATS.

I saw everyone of those. 1986 was bad. Really bad. 2003 might have been a crusher except 2004 washed away ALL the Red Sox poison.

Missed opportunities, man. 19-0 not. What are the odds that opportunity will ever happen again to be the first? 2007 AFC face guarding game for the right to play Rex Grossman pissed me off a lot also.

This year was a missed opportunity, and only a few teams get them a year. Never know when we might turn into the Redskins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

Not watching Davedsone jump off a building to end it all when the Pats lost to the JetsTongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

[QUOTE]Truthfully, i'm not really disapointed in this season, Consider the fact at the beginning of the year we were classified as a rebuilding team this year. So going 14-2 rebuilding coupled with 3 pics out of the first 33, yeah i'm really not so disapointed.
    Posted by VirginiaPats

VirginiaPats.....I assume you live in VA. I moveed to NVA in 2000.

The Jets lose helped ease the pain.

I can now read the sports page again and tune into 212 of NFL network.

Wakefields nuckle that did not nuckle hurt real bad. I stayed uo and listen to all the networks, read all the stories and took the lose head on. This Jets lose I shut it down ASAP and did not come back to the tv until the Jets lost. Weird how a game can effect you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorFootball. Show DoctorFootball's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Disappointment that hurts the most... : Daveson is going to corn hole you and blame the CIA
    Posted by helterskelter[/QUOTE]
    LMFAO...wait I thought Davedsone was the CIA, Big Brother and the Girl Scouts all in 1?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

ouch. man you sure dredged up some disappointment. the lost to the jests was a bummer, but not as bad as the 1) loss to the jints in the SB, or 2) loss to the dolts in the 2007 AFCCG. I got to admit i was very disappointed when the C's lost that game 7 to the fakers, they had an 11 point lead and the zebras took over.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Twenty-four years later, I still want to punch Calvin Schiraldi in the face.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

And Stanley in the nutsackk.

Sections
Shortcuts