diving at the knees of a receiver is an unnatural play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: diving at the knees of a receiver is an unnatural play

Not many guys tackle today, all the way down to pee wee.  They launch themselves into the runner, preferable the shoulder trying to prevent injury to themselves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The Pats need an enforcer like Thornton!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Troy Brown said it was legal."

I heard it on TV. An athlete said it. It must be true. 

Thanks "Uncle Rico" aka fake Pats fan sockpuppet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

All you have to do is look at any highlight of a catch around the middle of the field.  Look at all the dbs around that if they were coached to do it.  could just dive low on every tackle.  It's right there almost on every play.  I'ts not  normal.   It takes premeditation.  It takes effort to do it.

And the dumbest thing is that it is actually the simplest thing to officiate.  It should have been outlawed when they made the rule on interceptions...  for instance (can't block below the waist).   Or when they protected defenseless QBS throwing the ball...  ( cant hit in the knee area).

Same f'n thing....!  Can't hit defenseless receiver in the knee area  .  Randall Cobb,  Dustin Keller,  Gronk.   All in 1 year.  FU NFL football.  Giving the DBs an excuse .  What pousssiesss. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

You should make a list of everything that is legal but a dirty play.  Then you can send it to the NFLPA so they can tell the players.  Tell me, if a QB has had shoulder problems and a lineman targets that shoulder, is that dirty?  If a player had a previously blown out ankle and a tackler grabs a hold of that, is that dirty?

The answer to that question is the same as the one:  are you a moron and a disgusting human being who revels in a person being hurt?  yes.   Do those things happen?  Yep---but if the NFL is really talking about "cleaning up the game" safety-wise this is something that has to happen.  I said the same thing when EJ Manuel got hit on the knee.  Anyone who cheers for a player to be hurt is not a true football fan---you're no better than those kids who cyberbully other kids and tell them to kill themselves.  Shame on you.  I couldn't stand Hines Ward--still can't---but I never wished him to get hurt-- just suspended.  The hit was not necessary---NEVER is a helmet-led attack at that portion of the body. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Idiotic thread by an idiot poster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Troy Brown said it was legal.

/thread

[/QUOTE]

And you are the Jets Troll known as BUST-CHISE...the entire board also knows you as familar Jet Troll names such as Section 136, Meadowland Mike, Uncle Rico, Bungalo Bill, Fatsam, Fletcherbrook and many, many more...PROVE YOU ARE NOT BUST-CHISE..you cannot, therefor you are a duplicitous LIAR, a mendacious fraud who wants desperately NOT to live under the eternal yoke of failure and derision since 1969 which is the sorry lot of all NY Jets Fans

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I pay $179 per seat (4) times ten, seats I've had since 1980 because I'm a troll and a Jets fan. Did you take idiot lessons or were you born that way? I suppose the mentally weak find it easier to label someone than engage them. If I handed you a brain you'd have exactly one!

Later, Rusty!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

What am I missing here? I've seen the hit 20 times now, and it looks like he hits Gronk's knee with his shoulder (not) his helmet.

Can someone please tell me how to (effectively) take down a guy that out weighs you by 60+ pounds from the waist up? It isn't going to happen, Gronk would run you over without much effort.

The ONLY way to take down a guy that's much bigger than you at full speed is to go low. Take a look at any DB in the NFL and watch them try and take the legs out from under people. It happens on almost every play.

The picture perfect tackle technique is supposed to have people wraping your arms around their legs and bring them down. I was taught all my life to NEVER tackle high....you must take the legs out. Even more so when someone out weighs you by 60+ pounds.

Ty Law was an outstanding DB for many years in this league, and knows the game well and is highly respected. Troy Brown even more so, and just as respected. They both say the hit was clean and not a cheap shot. Any DB in the league that wants to take down a guy like Gronk is going to go low, or get stampeded.

Why is it everytime a Pats player gets injured, so many people jump on the "cheap shot" bandwagon? I'm just as pissed as anyone that my favorite Patriot is out yet again, but threads like this just make Pats fans look like cry babies. He got hurt on a legit play. Enough with the whining already!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

according To underdogggggggggg tj ward did the right thing.

wards excuse about going low because of fines for head shots makes no sense. He would need a step-ladder to hit Gronk in the head

[/QUOTE]

If this had happened to any player on the Colts, UD would be saying differently.  This is about the 5th time he's posted to that effect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TJ Ward is a POUSSY .   He is a little dink troll like wuss.   If a person or defender is "making a tackle" like the pousssy-dink was saying after the game he would have hit gronk in a normal way by lowering his shoulder  while running and delivered a normal tackle in the midsection.   It takes an unnatural motion to get that low to blow out aplayers knee and end that players season.

Ever make a head first slide into second base...?     It takes practice.   It is unnatural especially running at full speed .   TJ Ward should be properly villified for this unatural and premeditated dirty hit that was completely unnecessary. 

You know soooooooooo much......Pats players said that was a very clean hit.... NO intent to hurt Gronk !!! Go flap your lips to other who agree with your totally wrong statement.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

There's really on 2 ways for a smaller defender to tackle Gronkowski.  1.  Ring his bell.  Needless to say this is frowned on greatly these days, and will cost your team 15 yards as well as take a chunk out of your wallet.  2.  Go for the legs.  The only way to bring down a Juggernaut like Gronk is to take his legs out from under him.  There's a couple hours worth of highlight reels out there of him dragging half a team into the endzone on occassions when they didn't take his legs out. 

Mike Reiss asked a question regarding Gronk, wondering if his style of play was sustainable.  I don't think the problem is his style of play, but his body size and strength as it works against him within the rules of the NFL.  No one wants to get run over by him, thus you have guys aiming low.  Do I think Ward did a Cobra Kai and tried to sweep the leg?  No.  What I think happened is he came in like a missile helmet first, went low because that was the only hope he had of stopping Gronk, and just happened to hit his knee as it was planted.  That play had goodbye ACL written all over it, but I truly believe it was not by design, just by unfortunate circumstance. 

Sadly I don't know what you can do to prevent this kind of thing going forward.  The strike zone is shrinking and while 2.5-3 ft of space may seem like a lot to hit, with everyone moving full speed and trying to dodge or get low, and you find it's not much room at all.  It's just a really unfortunate accident and I couldn't feel sorrier for such a great young player. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's really on 2 ways for a smaller defender to tackle Gronkowski.  1.  Ring his bell.  Needless to say this is frowned on greatly these days, and will cost your team 15 yards as well as take a chunk out of your wallet.  2.  Go for the legs.  The only way to bring down a Juggernaut like Gronk is to take his legs out from under him.  There's a couple hours worth of highlight reels out there of him dragging half a team into the endzone on occassions when they didn't take his legs out. 

Mike Reiss asked a question regarding Gronk, wondering if his style of play was sustainable.  I don't think the problem is his style of play, but his body size and strength as it works against him within the rules of the NFL.  No one wants to get run over by him, thus you have guys aiming low.  Do I think Ward did a Cobra Kai and tried to sweep the leg?  No.  What I think happened is he came in like a missile helmet first, went low because that was the only hope he had of stopping Gronk, and just happened to hit his knee as it was planted.  That play had goodbye ACL written all over it, but I truly believe it was not by design, just by unfortunate circumstance. 

Sadly I don't know what you can do to prevent this kind of thing going forward.  The strike zone is shrinking and while 2.5-3 ft of space may seem like a lot to hit, with everyone moving full speed and trying to dodge or get low, and you find it's not much room at all.  It's just a really unfortunate accident and I couldn't feel sorrier for such a great young player. 

[/QUOTE]

Ill respond to you but not the other idiots.    They can all GFT.  I appreciate your attempt to get inside the Play and the Missille-Like poussie who carried it out.  The part where You're wrong is saying he has no chance to tackle him .  Poor guy... he "doesn't want to get run over.",  so oh well its ok since he doesn't want his feelings hurt to blow out a guys knee...?

Its in the OP.   Have any of you idiots ever made a headfirst slide running at full speed...?  To get that low takes effort unless you're a midget.      Are any of you sugegesting that hitting gronk at full speed in the hip area is not going to knock him to the ground...?

How STUPID are you people...?  It's physics .  Collision is mass times velocity squared .  the speed of the collision makes the DBs weight double.  If you blow up a guy from the side you will drive through him.  AIMING for a softspot is what POUSSSIES do.   Aiming fo the Kill zone is what ASSassins do. 

This little pousssie ward is a nobody on a nowhere team.  He is a shameful 1st class piece of sh1t.   Nobody speaking publicly like Troy or TyLaw can say that but they are thinking it.
    I can say that here because it's the truth, and I will die first before I will shut up and not say what needs to be said regarding the truth of the matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

ll respond to you but not the other idiots.    They can all GFT.  I appreciate your attempt to get inside the Play and the Missille-Like poussie who carried it out.  The part where You're wrong is saying he has no chance to tackle him .  Poor guy... he "doesn't want to get run over.",  so oh well its ok since he doesn't want his feelings hurt to blow out a guys knee...?

Its in the OP.   Have any of you idiots ever made a headfirst slide running at full speed...?  To get that low takes effort unless you're a midget.      Are any of you sugegesting that hitting gronk at full speed in the hip area is not going to knock him to the ground...?

How STUPID are you people...?  It's physics .  Collision is mass times velocity squared .  the speed of the collision makes the DBs weight double.  If you blow up a guy from the side you will drive through him.  AIMING for a softspot is what POUSSSIES do.   Aiming fo the Kill zone is what ASSassins do. 

This little pousssie ward is a nobody on a nowhere team.  He is a shameful 1st class piece of sh1t.   Nobody speaking publicly like Troy or TyLaw can say that but they are thinking it.
    I can say that here because it's the truth, and I will die first before I will shut up and not say what needs to be said regarding the truth of the matter.

[/QUOTE]

You sound like a very immature little twit to me.....nice attempt at being tough though....

Add another punk to the ignore list....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Sounds like Coolade has a little anger management problem.  I think I know where it stems from.  He was brought up catholic and is now trying to reconsile his upbringing where the bible says that homosexuality is "unnatural" with his  current wicked wicked gayness.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What am I missing here? I've seen the hit 20 times now, and it looks like he hits Gronk's knee with his shoulder (not) his helmet.

Can someone please tell me how to (effectively) take down a guy that out weighs you by 60+ pounds from the waist up? It isn't going to happen, Gronk would run you over without much effort.?

The ONLY way to take down a guy that's much bigger than you at full speed is to go low. Take a look at any DB in the NFL and watch them try and take the legs out from under people. It happens on almost every play.

The picture perfect tackle technique is supposed to have people wraping your arms around their legs and bring them down. I was taught all my life to NEVER tackle high....you must take the legs out. Even more so when someone out weighs you by 60+ pounds.

Ty Law was an outstanding DB for many years in this league, and knows the game well and is highly respected. Troy Brown even more so, and just as respected. They both say the hit was clean and not a cheap shot. Any DB in the league that wants to take down a guy like Gronk is going to go low, or get stampeded.

Why is it everytime a Pats player gets injured, so many people jump on the "cheap shot" bandwagon? I'm just as pissed as anyone that my favorite Patriot is out yet again, but threads like this just make Pats fans look like cry babies. He got hurt on a legit play. Enough with the whining already!!

[/QUOTE]

WOW...  You watch football and need this question answered foryou ...?   Do you understand the FORCE= MASSx velocity (squared)  ?   Did you ever take physics...?

It's taught in high schools....BTW.   Look it up.  

This law of nature dictates that a player running doubles his weight at impact .  This is understood intuitively by placing your hand to your face.  Move the hand back and move it toward your face quickly.   OUCH.  The hand moving has FORCE. The hand placed doesn't except for its weight.

Tj ward running , weighs more than Gronk becuase  he is hitting him from the side.  This weight would knock him over instantly.   INstead it blew out his knee since ward is a poussy and aimed low.  Stop defending it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

I agree with the OP.  While the play was technically within the rules, there is no room for it in my book.  Leaving your feet to launch yourself that low while targeting a guy's knee is unnatural, to use the word of the post.  In other words, you have to go out of your way to do what Ward did.  It was no accident.  I'm not saying he tried to injure Gronk but he certainly was targeting his knees. 

And I don't care about size.  If Ward hits Gronk clean, wraps him up, and drives through him, he makes the tackle.  It won't be a kill shot and it won't make the highlights but he makes the tackle.  Problem there is that it's a hard collision on the body for the tackler too.  It takes balls to make a legit tackle on a guy that much bigger that you.  To do what Ward did was the coward's way out in my book.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

Waaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Calm down dude. I know 44 years is a long time but calm down.

I would also like to point out that had this been a Pats player that make that type of tackle to any other player in the league, especially a Jets player, than you would be all over this forum crying even more rivers about it! Seek help dude because you obviously need it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tanbass' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can someone please tell me how to (effectively) take down a guy that out weighs you by 60+ pounds from the waist up? It isn't going to happen, Gronk would run you over without much effort.?

[/QUOTE]

WOW...  You watch football and need this question answered foryou ...?   Do you understand the FORCE= MASSx velocity (squared)  ?   Did you ever take physics...?

It's taught in high schools....BTW.   Look it up.  

This law of nature dictates that a player running doubles his weight at impact .  This is understood intuitively by placing your hand to your face.  Move the hand back and move it toward your face quickly.   OUCH.  The hand moving has FORCE. The hand placed doesn't except for its weight.

Tj ward running , weighs more than Gronk becuase  he is hitting him from the side.  This weight would knock him over instantly.   INstead it blew out his knee since ward is a poussy and aimed low.  Stop defending it.

[/QUOTE]

Tanbaass...  you're a complete tool.  YOu claimed to have played the game and you can't tackle a guy that outweighs you...?  ONly a pousssie would post something like that.  Look at all the poussie little dink trolls who have showed up to agree with you....   lol.  Did you beatch-slap yourself like I suggested in the experiment above...?  You need it...lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I do still see good, clean tackling form being used at the lower levels.  But when you see these much bigger ball carriers in college and pros running with the ball, the smaller guys really are at a big disadvantage.  Get trucked by trying to tackle around the waist or thighs or make it easier by going low and take the legs out.  Seems going low and taking the legs out is becoming their preference. 

I'm not buying the claims of blaming the new hitting to the head rules being as big of a reason for going low as these players are making it out to be.  I think they are using the head rules as a scapegoat to not wanting to take the chance of getting hurt themselves by trying to make a good, clean tackle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]

Tanbaass...  you're a complete tool.  YOu claimed to have played the game and you can't tackle a guy that outweighs you...?  ONly a pousssie would post something like that.  Look at all the poussie little dink trolls who have showed up to agree with you....   lol.  Did you beatch-slap yourself like I suggested in the experiment above...?  You need it...lol.

[/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight.....you are having a complete melt down everytime you type on a football forum to try and make your useless point.....stomping your feet like a little baby, and calling others a "tool"?? Whatever you say tough guy. Try getting out more, maybe finding a few friends...hey...here's an idea....try getting laid. Consider yourself ignored moving forward ya little temper tantrum fool.....now run along little boy....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

My two cents:

I have been watching pro football for a long time and there has been a definite change in the manner the defense now brings down a ball carrier.  The "art" of tackling, grabbing the ball carrier at the legs, hips, waist etc...  is a disappearing art.  That is what I was taught in high school.  Aim at the waist and grab the sucker until he goes down.

Today, what do we see.  Players who act like cruise missiles!  This propensity to launch oneself at the ball carrier is what is resulting in the helmet to helmet hits more than anything else.  There is no attempt to keep the head up to see what the defender is grabbing, but, to simply launch into the ball carrier and blow them up.  A player can't run when one leg is being held onto by a defender.  True, back in the day you had your "occassional" big hits, but, nowhere near as much as we see today.

When I review that hit on Gronk, you can see he was about to be engaged from behind by another defender and Ward, from about 5 - 6 feet away, was already lowering his head to go at the legs of Gronk.  Between him hitting Gronk at the waist and the defender on top of him from behind, the guy would have gone down.  Instead of going for the tackle, Ward became a cruise missile and we saw the results.

One can imagine such a hit on Megatron, Graham, A Johnson or any other high profile receiver on other teams resulting in the same injury.  As Brady noted, not too many folks are feeling sorry for the Patriots and we have seen a surprising number of posts across the land in which many fans are actually "happy" Gronk got injured because he is a Patriot.  I somehow think the cry to change the rules may be louder if it was the aforementioned receivers above.

My two cents. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I do still see good, clean tackling form being used at the lower levels.  But when you see these much bigger ball carriers in college and pros running with the ball, the smaller guys really are at a big disadvantage.  Get trucked by trying to tackle around the waist or thighs or make it easier by going low and take the legs out.  Seems going low and taking the legs out is becoming their preference. 

I'm not buying the claims of blaming the new hitting to the head rules being as big of a reason for going low as these players are making it out to be.  I think they are using the head rules as a scapegoat to not wanting to take the chance of getting hurt themselves by trying to make a good, clean tackle.

right...  It is an excuse because they don't want make the effort necessary to hit a player clean .   It's "easier"  to just aim at a soft spot and launch yourself.   since if you hit a heavier guy in the midsection,  You might absorb more of the impact.   It might hurt.  The tackle will still be made...  but we don't want it to hurt.  So this is just the easy...(poussie) way out. 

The big collision is a self regulating  thing.  It goes against the instinct of self preservation.  So it takes courage to measure and throw yourself into a collision.  The alternative is to aim low at the soft spot.    Co-Ward= Pousssie. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My two cents:

I have been watching pro football for a long time and there has been a definite change in the manner the defense now brings down a ball carrier.  The "art" of tackling, grabbing the ball carrier at the legs, hips, waist etc...  is a disappearing art.  That is what I was taught in high school.  Aim at the waist and grab the sucker until he goes down.

Today, what do we see.  Players who act like cruise missiles!  This propensity to launch oneself at the ball carrier is what is resulting in the helmet to helmet hits more than anything else.  There is no attempt to keep the head up to see what the defender is grabbing, but, to simply launch into the ball carrier and blow them up.  A player can't run when one leg is being held onto by a defender.  True, back in the day you had your "occassional" big hits, but, nowhere near as much as we see today.

When I review that hit on Gronk, you can see he was about to be engaged from behind by another defender and Ward, from about 5 - 6 feet away, was already lowering his head to go at the legs of Gronk.  Between him hitting Gronk at the waist and the defender on top of him from behind, the guy would have gone down.  Instead of going for the tackle, Ward became a cruise missile and we saw the results.

One can imagine such a hit on Megatron, Graham, A Johnson or any other high profile receiver on other teams resulting in the same injury.  As Brady noted, not too many folks are feeling sorry for the Patriots and we have seen a surprising number of posts across the land in which many fans are actually "happy" Gronk got injured because he is a Patriot.  I somehow think the cry to change the rules may be louder if it was the aforementioned receivers above.

My two cents. 

[/QUOTE]

Well said...   It is really easy to imagine, and even easier to carry out.   Any third string DB can float around the secondary diving at the knees of players.    3 this year (cobb,Gronk, Keller) is just the tip of the iceburg if allowed to continue.

Here's how you coach it..

Let's call it the"Knee destruction formation"  Just drop into asoft Zone and allow the underneath throws but creep a little closer each time until you get the kill shot...

LBs just dive at the recievers knees after the catch .  Don't stop there...  Dive at their knees when they are engaged ...Even better...   It's legal.  Tanbass the dipsh1t says its clean.  So every play is knee destruction 101.   First guy hold him up , second guy come in from the side.  simple.  And effective since the guy is too big to tackle otherwise.

Just ask tanbass the  idiot.

Sections
Shortcuts