Division Tiebreaker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WIpatsfan. Show WIpatsfan's posts

Division Tiebreaker?

If the Pats beat the Bills but split their last 2 games and Miami wins out, does anyone know who would win the tiebreaker this year?  They split the seasons series and would have the same division record.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: Division Tiebreaker?

Good question.  Off the top of my head I would have to say it would be Miami.  NE has lost 5 games and 4 of them were to AFC teams. If they split the last two it would make it a 5th loss to an AFC team.  Im not sure how many of Miami's losses were to AFC teams.

Pats have to win out....Bottom line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

If Both Miam and New England end up 10-6, Miami would win the east because they have a better afc record.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Division Tiebreaker?:
    [QUOTE]If Both Miam and New England end up 10-6, Miami would win the east because they have a better afc record.
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]

Common opponents come before conference record in the tiebreaker heirarchy.

Head-to-head
    Divisional record
    Common opponents
    Conference record

I have no clue who wins the common opponents tiebreaker, though (or even how it works)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well only uncommon opponent would be

NE (Denver, Balt)
    Mia (San Diego, Pitts)

Really think that Miami will trip up somehwere either @Tenn, or home against Pitts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: Division Tiebreaker?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Division Tiebreaker? : Common opponents come before conference record in the tiebreaker heirarchy. Head-to-head Divisional record Common opponents Conference record I have no clue who wins the common opponents tiebreaker, though (or even how it works)
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

common opponents: Falcons, Colts, Titans, Bucs, Saints, Panthers, Jaguars, Texans.  Both teams would end with 5-3 record against common opponents if Dolphins win out and Patriots lose one of final two games.

AFL Conference record would go Miami's way 9-4
    with Patriots 8-5.

see: www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakerprocedures

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It would be conference games. If NE loses, they lose to an AFC team. That means Miami, should they win out, would be the team with the better conference record.

Essentially, the playoffs have already started in New England.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emiliosCA. Show emiliosCA's posts

i'm all for freedom of speech. but i really dont think us fans should be worried about playoffs when we got a road game, game against a wildcard contender at home, and another road game before then.  this team needs to build itself through the last three games in order to give itself any sort of footing in the postseason. stop looking over the shoulder at the phins.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Well luckily for us we dont practice, plan, or play for the Pats, so it really doesnt matter what we talk about.  Nothing we do will affect the outcome of the NE game on sunday.

But I do agree that the most important thing is winning in Buffalo first, then worry about the next game.  Like zbellino said, essentially the playoffs have already started in NE.  I hope the rest of the team realizes that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Thanks for the clarification.  Good advice on the stop looking over the shoulder routine.  It's just that after last December I am in full time fear and loathing mode.

However, there is no such thing as playoff game in the regular season unless it's between two teams that are in a win-and-your-in or a lose-and-go-home situation.  In the NFL playoff games are elimination games for BOTH teams.   Thus the pressure and the stakes are the same.  Teams that are already eliminated don't have any pressure and often knock someone out in week 17.  They don't have anything to lose so they call the game differently and sometimes the other team freezes up.  The Pats did this to Miami on the last game of the season during Bledsoe's rookie year.

ALso, lots of teams back-in with losses in week 16 or week 17.  I don't want to go there but over the next three weeks we'll hear this 'playoffs now' thing over and over and I just don't buy it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

The above are all good posts, but in response to the original question, the way that the tie-breakers are structured, inarguably, if the Dolphins win-out and the Patriots fail to do the same, Miami will win the AFC East and make the play-offs and the Patriots will be done for the season. 

I'm not being judgmental nor am I looking over my shoulder, I'm simply stating fact in order to clarify and help better understand the daunting challenge ahead for the Patriots.

My estimation is that to reach the Super Bowl they will have to win the next 6 games in a row.  So GO PATS.

Sections
Shortcuts