DJ moore?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

DJ moore?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/d-j-moore-wont-be-back-with-the-bears-next-season/

Chicago Bears defensive back D.J. Moore already knows he’ll be looking for a new team for next season.

According to Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears have informed Moore that he is not in the team’s plans for the future.

Moore will become an unrestricted free agent on March 12. Moore had lost his backup job to Kelvin Hayden last season.

Moore played the first four season of his career for the Bears after being selected in the fourth round of the 2009 draft out of Vanderbilt. After appearing in just three games as a rookie, Moore played more extensively the last three seasons. He’s made three starts in three seasons and intercepted 10 passes. Moore intercepted two passes and recorded 32 tackles for the Bears last season in mainly reserve duty.

Sound like a good option to replace arrington if he is too pricy!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: DJ moore?

Arrington had 7 int's in 11'. Ints are a very misleading stat truthfully. You really have to look at how those ints were made. Were they tipped balls, did he bait the QB, did the QB over/under throw the receiver, did he just make a great play on the ball? BTW, he didn't make 10 ints in 3 starts, he made 10 ints over 42 games (4 ints came in 10' without a single start and 4 ints with only 1 start)

A backup losing his backup spot on an average secondary? I'll pass

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

PatsEng - good point on the meaning of INT stats, but ... there are a few DBs that put up 3-5 ints pretty much every year - and that pattern does point to ball hawking and good hands skills.

I think a more telling stat is the passes defensed plus int number - high PD numbers suggest a DB who is in possition to make plays on the ball consistently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to natesubs' comment:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/d-j-moore-wont-be-back-with-the-bears-next-season/

Chicago Bears defensive back D.J. Moore already knows he’ll be looking for a new team for next season.

According to Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears have informed Moore that he is not in the team’s plans for the future.

Moore will become an unrestricted free agent on March 12. Moore had lost his backup job to Kelvin Hayden last season.

Moore played the first four season of his career for the Bears after being selected in the fourth round of the 2009 draft out of Vanderbilt. After appearing in just three games as a rookie, Moore played more extensively the last three seasons. He’s made three starts in three seasons and intercepted 10 passes. Moore intercepted two passes and recorded 32 tackles for the Bears last season in mainly reserve duty.

Sound like a good option to replace arrington if he is too pricy!

Good point, but I do prefer Arrington because he is excellent in the slot.

please remove the word excellent and replace it with a less loftier word. Maybe good or adequate would be ok. Dude S*cked for half the season and had a couple decent games where the guy ddint go off on him and leave it you to call him "excellent" in the slot. With your thnking, this defense would NEVER improve because you thk they are great already!  Rusty, 29th place out of 32 is not excellence. the whole secondary is mediocre if Talib and Dennard arent there. If A starter goes down(just a matter of when) then BOOM, Arringtong is starting and thats another reason I dont want him in the slot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

PatsEng - good point on the meaning of INT stats, but ... there are a few DBs that put up 3-5 ints pretty much every year - and that pattern does point to ball hawking and good hands skills.

I think a more telling stat is the passes defensed plus int number - high PD numbers suggest a DB who is in possition to make plays on the ball consistently.

I wouldn't even say that. Take Meriweather for instance. Now I don't think many of us would call Meriweather a ball hawker by any account but between 08'-10' he had at least 3 ints every season. Now I do think the PDs is a better representation of ability but even then some question comes into play as, if the guy is a gambler and jumps routes. The guy could get double digits in PD's and get the 3-5ints but give up more long plays in the end. I'd still go by the eye test and a backup CB on an average secondary who was replaced does not pass the eye test compared to his PD and int numbers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Agree on the gambler issue - but ... if the gambler causes 3 turnovers and 7 failed third down conversions, but gives up four bombs is he better than the non-gambler who gives up two bombs and 3 third down coversions?

Obviosuly you look at a lot of issues when evaluating a CB (or any other player.) And I am not saying Arrington is a great CB by any means - he is average/above average in the slot and below average playing wide and definitely got 'lucky' with the 7 int year.

The same can be said for sack numbers and tackle numbers - pressures and hits can be more effective than the actual sack and some sacks are the result of the pressure developed by another player. Vince puts up some average and below average tackle numbers, but the fact he has occupied two blockers and not given any ground allows Mayo and Spikes to get the tackle.

Brady seldom gets sacked, but good defenses have success when they apply pressure and get him off rythm and uncomfortable.