D.J. Swearinger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

D.J. Swearinger

Give me this guy in a heartbeat.

I doubt Vaccaro will be on the board at 29. If he is, perhaps we take him.

Elam worries me... reminds me a lot of Meriweather, doesn't seem like a great tackler.

Not sold on Cyprien.

Give me Swearinger all day long. Dude is instinctive, around the ball, a play-maker, and he lays the boom. Not to mention he brings a nasty attitude and swagger to the field. He's the enforcer we need on the back end to go next to McCourty. I feel if we could land him and add CB depth and talent, this secondary would be taking a BIG step in the right direction.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: D.J. Swearinger

I like him as well.

...however I would not say Elam can't tackle.

Have you watched this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Elam worries me... reminds me a lot of Meriweather, doesn't seem like a great tackler.

Not sold on Cyprien.

Give me Swearinger all day long. Dude is instinctive, around the ball, a play-maker, and he lays the boom. Not to mention he brings a nasty attitude and swagger to the field. He's the enforcer we need on the back end to go next to McCourty. I feel if we could land him and add CB depth and talent, this secondary would be taking a BIG step in the right direction.

Elam is one of, if not the best tackling safety in this class, both in terms of physicality and his ability in space.

I like Cyprien a lot... Rd 2 kid with Top 40-50 upside.

Also a huge fan of Swearinger for many of the reason you mention... think he's a day 2 kid with Rd 2 upside... could be a solid option for BB/NC with their 2nd pick... kid's really rising on my board.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Not sold on Cyprien.

Elam is one of, if not the best tackling safety in this class, both in terms of physicality and his ability in space.

Also a huge fan of Swearinger for many of the reason you mention... think he's a day 2 kid with Rd 2 upside... could be a solid option for BB/NC with their 2nd pick... kid's really rising on my board.

I must have missed some video of Cypiren I could only find one against western Kentucky but it didn't look like he did much in that game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Perhaps I should watch more of Elam, but what I saw of him didn't impress me too much.

His angles seemed iffy at times. He'd often make contact but fail to rap up... too often going for a killshot but not succeeding. Certainly I think he has the potential to be great, but I see some recurring issues that worry me. 

I'll need to more of Cyprien. I haven't seen much, but what I did see made me think he looked a bit slow. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Not sold on Cyprien.

I must have missed some video of Cypiren I could only find one against western Kentucky but it didn't look like he did much in that game.

Good week of Senior Bowl practice, looked good in the game... believe there's some Louisville and Florida Atlantic tape out there too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Definitely more impressed after seeing the video IQ posted. To be entirely honest, I'd be happy with any of the 'Big 2' (Vaccaro or Elam). Cyprien is intriguing and I'd like to see more of him, but if we pass on the aforementioned, I want Swearinger. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Watching this Elam kid the first thing I have to ask is, how tall is he? He looks like he can't be any taller than five ten...do we want another short safety? Who's going to cover a tight end for us? How is this kid going to out fight a taller reciever deep down the center of the field?

He looks like he can tackle and he looks much more thick than a guy like Chung, so that's good. Is it just me, or does this guy like to lead with his shoulder a little too much? I'll tell you I liked his highlight real much better than any of the three I watched last year on Tavon Wilson. He looks very developed up top. Where is this guy projected to go? Mid second? Any chance of him slipping to us in the second?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't think Elam makes it to our second pick (round 2 where we currently draft). I think vaccaro is the first safety taken then Elam. Who are the safety needy teams that draft before us in round 1? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Watching this Elam kid the first thing I have to ask is, how tall is he? He looks like he can't be any taller than five ten...do we want another short safety? Who's going to cover a tight end for us? How is this kid going to out fight a taller reciever deep down the center of the field?

He looks like he can tackle and he looks much more thick than a guy like Chung, so that's good. Is it just me, or does this guy like to lead with his shoulder a little too much? I'll tell you I liked his highlight real much better than any of the three I watched last year on Tavon Wilson. He looks very developed up top. Where is this guy projected to go? Mid second? Any chance of him slipping to us in the second?

What concerns me about Elam is his coverage skills, he is a monster stoping the run, but his size really hurts, can he cover big TEs and big WRs?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Disappointing. I thought this thread was about Al Swearengen.

Great actor and great show !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

What concerns me about Elam is his coverage skills, he is a monster stoping the run, but his size really hurts, can he cover big TEs and big WRs?

I'll tell you what, I find it next to impossible with my untrained eye to even see these guys in coverage on tv. I don't know how people do it. Then when you get to see the highlight reel it is only a small portion of the story. From the highlight video on this thread I thought he was ok - he made a bunch of picks where he was the only guy standing in the zone and the QB just tossed it to him. They showed him flashing across the screen to deflect a few passes. They had him running with a reciever stride for stride - Elam didn't turn his head around for the ball (reminded me of our guys) - and just put his hand up at the right time. I've got to think in the NFL he will get burned on those, he's short and a better reciever and quarterback will throw that thing over his head while his shorter body is helpless to do anything about it. 

I don't know? I think he looks pretty good. I think he looks better than Tavon Wilson. I think he looks better than Chung when he came out and he was a high second rounder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

He has decent enough coverage skills but he's a SS so he doesn't need great coverage skills. Just enough to cover TE's and RB's after release or know how to read a zone and not give up large holes to WR's coming across the middle

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I can live with youth and athleticism at CB. I think the Pats need size and experience at S...Elam is too small for my liking. I like someone at least 215 that can run and cover a TE. That is not Elam.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Not sold on Cyprien.

You think so? First of all how can you even watch any highlight film of this guy and manage to keep your eyes off number 7? Wow can that kid play! Amazing - truly something...can't be blocked. I think I've seen maybe five guys over the last ten years where you watch film and just say there is no doubt about him...no doubt at all that this person will be a pro bowler. Seriously how often does that happen? The last time I saw that was Suh - I would of traded every pick we had that year for Suh...every single pick. There was a kid taken not far behind Suh who went to the Bucs who wasn't that far behind him in terms of ability.

Swearinger to me is a guy that looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane (70%) of the game. Big guy....looks like a linebacker, yet it looks like he can move too. I don't know though? I can't stand the way he always is putting his hands up in the air after a play, like....it wasn't my fault. Yet here he is nowhere near the play. I don't like that he is as far away as he is on a lot of running plays. I see him running around a lot of trash too - when it looked like there were plays to be made in that trash. No doubt he is a top 15 talent on skill and size, but I think he can easily turn into an average player too. I wonder how he'd do with a Belichick? I bet Bill would turn him into what his skills show he can be.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

tavon wilson had a solid rookie season and as a 2nd round pick only one year ago i'm hopeful he is NE's starting SS in 2013. 

i don't see any real elite safeties in this draft. i prefer NE wait until the later rounds and take someone like Oklahoma's Javon Harris. he isn't the flashiest and most talked about, but he may end up being one of the more solid safties to come out of this class. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTICcte6yn8

I want to say I've read that this is the strongest safety class in years - puts last year to shame.

19. This post has been removed.