DL technique and why isn't Graham ideal for 3-4 OLB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

DL technique and why isn't Graham ideal for 3-4 OLB

In discussions about the pats drafting a DE, the question seems to be whether a player can play the 5 technique. I don't know what this is exactly. Could someone please explain the technique requiremnets of the different line positions in a 34. In a 4-3 defense are the line mans responsibilites more specialized? the ends rushing and tackles run stopping?
    My other question is why would Brandon Grahams lack of two inches height be so important? Would it make it more difficult for him to set the edge?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: DL technique and why isn't Graham ideal for 3-4 OLB

5 technique is where the DE in a 3-4 lines up against the offensive line.  In this cast it's the outside shoulder of the guard (I think).  In a 4-3 the DE lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

Grahams height concerns come in for batting down passes.  But it's not only Grahams height.  His arm length is short which is a draw back.  He knows his short comings or understands how folks will try to tie him up and has come up with ways to keep OL off him.  How this translates to the next level nobody knows.  After getting a good look at him in the senior bowl I'm optomistic about his ability and seemingly endless motor.  He bounces of the ground very quickly and is up and running full speed quickly.  In my mind if he drops to a certain pick the Pats should move up and grab this guy. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I have no clue about these 3 and 5 techniques either.  But I do know what BB likes and although Graham may have the heart of a warrior, his height is a concern like garytx says, and I believe BB will pass on him. 

I'm starting to think that BB will take either Odrick or Weatherspoon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I agree with garytx ~ After getting a good look at him in the senior bowl I'm optomistic about his ability and seemingly endless motor.  He bounces of the ground very quickly and is up and running full speed quickly.  In my mind if he drops to a certain pick the Pats should move up and grab this guy. 

In some cases like this one, you have to go with you gut feeling. Hopefully the Pats have the same feeling as I do, and go for it with Graham!  (if they even have a chance for him).....I think this kid will translate to the NFL very nicely despite a inch or two here and there.  EyeTEST! - this kid can play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to DL technique and why isn't Graham ideal for 3-4 OLB:
    In discussions about the pats drafting a DE, the question seems to be whether a player can play the 5 technique. I don't know what this is exactly. Could someone please explain the technique requiremnets of the different line positions in a 34. In a 4-3 defense are the line mans responsibilites more specialized? the ends rushing and tackles run stopping? My other question is why would Brandon Grahams lack of two inches height be so important? Would it make it more difficult for him to set the edge?
    Posted by sirpinochle

The technique just refers to where they line up.  The 3 technique lines up between the guard and tackle. 

A simpler way to think about this from a Patriots perspective, I think, is whether a guy is a one gap or two gap lineman.  Seymour is a two gap, meaning he requires a double team and so occupies two gaps in the o-line.  The fact that he could generate pressure on the QB as a two gap player made him all-pro.  A guy like Wilfork is that way also, but doesn't generate the pressure that Seymour did.  But having two of those guys occupying all those blockers not only makes it very difficult to run, but frees up the LBs to do their thing.  I personally think Suh could fill the Seymour role and might be a bit quicker, but it might take him some time to grow into that.  By all accounts, he's strong enough.  Those guys just don't come around very often.  Same thing with McCoy, but he's not as big and is a little more of a technique guy than a strength size guy.  So that makes him more of a one gap guy. 

The OLBs in a 3-4 need to set the edge, which just means contain the running game from getting outside and going down the sideline.  I think that's the concern with a Brandon Graham at his size.  Bigger guys with longer arms are able to generally handle the o-linemen and TEs and set the edge.  Doesn't mean Graham can't do the job, or that they can't scheme around it.

Sections
Shortcuts