DMC staying at safety this year !!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yakv. Show yakv's posts

DMC staying at safety this year !!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/devin-mccourty-will-stay-at-safety/

thats the best news i have heard in a long time ,DMC at safety and talib and dennard at CB ,give this team the best chance of being aggressive in the secondry , chung will see more time on the bench m i dont think he will be active for thanksgiving.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: DMC staying at safety this year !!!

I agree, I like this move a lot. McCourty is very smart and can break down plays very well but he needs the space in order to do so. FS seems like a nature fit for him, he instantly becomes our best S. Now the only question is who do you have next to him. Gregory has stunk but so has Chung this year. Wilson fair or not is showing why people were questioning him as a 2nd round pick. SS could be the weaker area moving forward. Just please, please tell me we won't see Arrington starting anymore and Dennard taking over that role.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I will admit that after last year when people were talking about the permanent move, I didnt like the idea because I was holding out hope that he could still regain his rookie form and also even though he steadied the back end last year, I didnt think he really looked the part and wasnt making plays persery.

Now this past week I noticed an improvement in his physical style as he was laying the wood a couple times and is showing he can be a legit free safety. I also love when he arrived on time to break up a pass in cover 2(something no safety has done all year) so i have to agree that he is the best fit for it right now because Gregory has been horrible. I thought he could be a steadying force but he looks lost on most plays and cant Hit like a safety should.

If Chung ever gets back, it may look ok with he and Chung, mixing in Wilson at the line, but I am really more excited that we have 2 starting CBs now who can play agressive man/press and arent afraid to get in WRs hips and jam them and they dont play scared. Now just have to find a way to keep Arrington off the field and we should be fine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

MCC is the new safety prototype...  CLOSING SPEED  period.  And intelligence.  He's got it all.  been saying it since last year.

That break up at the two yard line is what is supposed to happen . Not Chung arriving late and not going for ball... ( manningham catch). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I went to edit my post and it duplicated... strange. Anyway , I agree coolade. Its nice to have a FS who is actually there to help over the top. I see week by week he is settling into the position. It would be nice if he had an older Safety there to mentor as he has that Rod Woodson ability with his speed but gregory gotta go. I would rather him play dime CB at this point. Let Wilson play SS and just dont run that Cover 2 anymore and we should be ok. I hope M.Cole stays health because he is the only thing keeping # 24 off the field at this point. He isnt even servicable in the slot anymore. Dude fell off bigtime! but I always thought he was only good in zone and horrible in Man down the field. Should have stayed a special teamer. Now that we are playing more man/blitz, it s*cks that Ras I is on I/R because he would have looked better in these schemes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

McCourty and Gregory at safety, Dennard and Talib at cornerback, with Chung and Arrington backing them up.  Just give them a few weeks to gel and this secondary will be rolling by playoff time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Absolutely LOVE DMac as a FS.  But now we need a thumper in the SS position.  It's not Gregory.  As much as I'm not crazy about Chung, I think he playes the SS much better than FS. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Lets hope Chung has been atleast on the treadmill or Bike staying in shape becasue as soon as he returns, balls are gonna be flying at  him left and right. Last year his presence was welcome when he returned late but judging by his play this year I dont know if that would be the case again. I think they are holding on to him this year for depth, meaning when he comes back, he may not necessarily start but rather be used as depth or situationally. I do know that BB likes him so who knows. Maybe he will benefit from more aggresive schemes like we saw last sunday but I would caution looking at Chung as the savior coming back like last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets hope Chung has been atleast on the treadmill or Bike staying in shape becasue as soon as he returns, balls are gonna be flying at  him left and right. Last year his presence was welcome when he returned late but judging by his play this year I dont know if that would be the case again. I think they are holding on to him this year for depth, meaning when he comes back, he may not necessarily start but rather be used as depth or situationally. I do know that BB likes him so who knows. Maybe he will benefit from more aggresive schemes like we saw last sunday but I would caution looking at Chung as the savior coming back like last year.

[/QUOTE]

He's playing football not taking a stroll down in P-Town

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's playing football not taking a stroll down in P-Town

[/QUOTE]

Good one! LMAO!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree, I like this move a lot. McCourty is very smart and can break down plays very well but he needs the space in order to do so. FS seems like a nature fit for him, he instantly becomes our best S. Now the only question is who do you have next to him. Gregory has stunk but so has Chung this year. Wilson fair or not is showing why people were questioning him as a 2nd round pick. SS could be the weaker area moving forward. Just please, please tell me we won't see Arrington starting anymore and Dennard taking over that role.

[/QUOTE]

+1...absolutely.

Chung is trash out there...he should be ashamed of himself not being able to be a better player at this stage.  I remember a few years ago Rodney Harrison saying he'd retire from the game before not being able to cover a TE (his responsibility).  Chung can't cover anything, takes horrific angles, and is just fragile...he's of no use to his team, other than in run support.  I like his energy and how hard he hits...but he's not putting it together back there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We'll be lucky if we have all of our defensive backfield back and healthy for the playoffs, I understand the "what have you done for me lately" nature of BDC, but you're foolish if you think we couldn't use these guys back healthy.  Ideally DMC would be manning up the fastest quickest receiver on the opposite side, ideally we'd have a healthy backfield so we could play match-ups...

The defensive backfield is playing better because the front seven are playing better, if Chung were here he would be a beneficiary of that better play along with the rest.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Said it about Dmc a long time ago, he is a cerebral player. Good fs not such a good corner. He has trouble matching up against the top receivers. He is usually a step behind and has trouble getting his head around.

Thought it would have been Dowling this yr. Nice to see Dennard getting reps.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

McCourty and Chung are your best bets at the Safety position. Wilson is not a smart safety, yet, and Gregory is terrible. 

I don't know what people are talking about when they say Chung has been horrible this year, it's not even close to being true. Chung had one, ONE bad game this year when he was matched up against a 6'7 TE in The Buffalo Bills who always play us tough. Chung is, without a doubt, our best option out there. With McCourty playing deep, you bring Pat up close to the line and you'll see why he was drafted in the second round.

I don't know where the Chung bashing comes from, but I hate when people do it. It just makes them look dense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

And it is completely unwarranted. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

McCourty and Gregory at safety, Dennard and Talib at cornerback, with Chung and Arrington backing them up.  Just give them a few weeks to gel and this secondary will be rolling by playoff time.

[/QUOTE]

Right on!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

McCourty and Chung are your best bets at the Safety position. Wilson is not a smart safety, yet, and Gregory is terrible. 

I don't know what people are talking about when they say Chung has been horrible this year, it's not even close to being true. Chung had one, ONE bad game this year when he was matched up against a 6'7 TE in The Buffalo Bills who always play us tough. Chung is, without a doubt, our best option out there. With McCourty playing deep, you bring Pat up close to the line and you'll see why he was drafted in the second round.

I don't know where the Chung bashing comes from, but I hate when people do it. It just makes them look dense. 

[/QUOTE]

I think that maybe the only game where he played from start to finish so you can see where the critism comes from. Maybe he isnt as bad as some say and I agree, but when u cant get on the field, how are we supposed to remember the good play??  To me, he hasnt done anything this year and thats because he messed up his shoulder week 1 and its never been right. I'll take a quote from Brady. "Its my job to be available" so to me, Chung is hurting our team by not being available. Its him who decided to try to deliver a knock out blow and ruin his shoulder, not anyone else so he does bare some blame for the back end struggling because we were RELYING on him this year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I don't understand all the hate for Gregory. The guy plays hard, isn't afraid to tackle, and I have yet to see him get beat deep, or be late when closing on a pass. I think he's our second best safety behind McCourty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't understand all the hate for Gregory. The guy plays hard, isn't afraid to tackle, and I have yet to see him get beat deep, or be late when closing on a pass. I think he's our second best safety behind McCourty.

[/QUOTE]

Bad tackler, bad angles, not nearly as physical as Chung, not nearly as fast, Chung is better in man and zone coverage, the thinest DB on the roster, gets sucked into PA like a rookie. 

Compared to Gregory, Chung is an all-pro. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that maybe the only game where he played from start to finish so you can see where the critism comes from. Maybe he isnt as bad as some say and I agree, but when u cant get on the field, how are we supposed to remember the good play??  To me, he hasnt done anything this year and thats because he messed up his shoulder week 1 and its never been right. I'll take a quote from Brady. "Its my job to be available" so to me, Chung is hurting our team by not being available. Its him who decided to try to deliver a knock out blow and ruin his shoulder, not anyone else so he does bare some blame for the back end struggling because we were RELYING on him this year

[/QUOTE]

If he's hurt, you don't play him, but when he's GTG, you try to play your best players. Gregory is terrible, Wilson isn't ready yet, Chung is our best bet. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to vertigho's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bad tackler, bad angles, not nearly as physical as Chung, not nearly as fast, Chung is better in man and zone coverage, the thinest DB on the roster, gets sucked into PA like a rookie. 

Compared to Gregory, Chung is an all-pro. 

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to yakv's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/devin-mccourty-will-stay-at-safety/

thats the best news i have heard in a long time ,DMC at safety and talib and dennard at CB ,give this team the best chance of being aggressive in the secondry , chung will see more time on the bench m i dont think he will be active for thanksgiving.

[/QUOTE]

good stuff. i reported this after the talib trade.

devin publicly acts as if he wasnt told this defeinitively (though bb may indeed have decided it). saw devin interviewed and he was sspeaking about moving back an forth between and being able to be used that way, whatever would help the team.