Do players get paid when they come in for a workout?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Do players get paid when they come in for a workout?

I was wondering if they get paid for the workout if they don't get signed. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Re: Do players get paid when they come in for a workout?

I don,t believe so-could be wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

that would be like paying for a test drive on a car you were thinking about buying

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

No, they don't get paid. It's basically like a job interview.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Do players get paid when they come in for a workout?:
    [QUOTE]that would be like paying for a test drive on a car you were thinking about buying
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

I would think they didn't but since their in a union they may have a rule about getting paid.  I don't know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good question, I would like to know too.  Maybe just their air fare paid and a one day per diem.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

now this is a question for mike reiss

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Ya know, that's a good point tcal. I'm guessing they would have insurance through the union in case they were injured during the workout on top of what bradymossfan mentioned...but I don't see how they would get paid, because they're not actually employed by the team. I believe, because of the whole publicly traded thing, that they'd have to sign him to a 1 day contract in order to pay him.

Then again, I really have no clue on the internal labor laws in the NFL, or unions either, so I could be way off...lol.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Any time I've had to fly somewhere for an interview all my expenses were paid. I'm sure they get expenses taken care of. I doubt they get paid cause then it would count against the cap. Expenses wouldnt be pay.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

I would think per diem / expenses

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

It's curious how none of this stuff gets publicized yet we, as fans, really want to know how it compares to our working experiences. Like when BB signs some street guys and then they get cut after 5 days of practice without playing a game. We never find out what the terms of the deal were. Did they get a small signing bonus? If so, how much? All this leaves me curious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]It's curious how none of this stuff gets publicized yet we, as fans, really want to know how it compares to our working experiences. Like when BB signs some street guys and then they get cut after 5 days of practice without playing a game. We never find out what the terms of the deal were. Did they get a small signing bonus? If so, how much? All this leaves me curious.
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

From reading (parts of) the new CBA (see below), these players likely sign the standard player contract at the minimum salary for undrafted rookie free agents. However, they don't get paid under that contract until the regular season starts (and they make the team).  While in training camp (through the preseason), they apparently just get their expenses covered plus a "per diem" at a rate of $850 a week. (The veteran per diem is $1,600 per week.)  Again, I'm no expert, but this is my interpretation of what's in the CBA.

I'd guess that Phil is right above that guys who come in for tryouts get their travel expenses covered, but probably no pay. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do players get paid when they come in for a workout? : From reading (parts of) the new CBA (see below), these players likely sign the standard player contract at the minimum salary for undrafted rookie free agents. However, they don't get paid under that contract until the regular season starts (and they make the team).  While in training camp (through the preseason), they apparently just get their expenses covered plus a "per diem" at a rate of $850 a week. (The veteran per diem is $1,600 per week.)  Again, I'm no expert, but this is my interpretation of what's in the CBA. I'd guess that Phil is right above that guys who come in for tryouts get their travel expenses covered, but probably no pay.  https://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Prolate Spheroid
    Thanks for the a copy of the NFL - Player agreement. 318 pages of facts and figures all broken down including what is allowed for travel, moving, annual escalators and even practice squad salaries ($5,700 per week for 2011).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do players get paid when they come in for a workout? : Prolate Spheroid Thanks for the a copy of the NFL - Player agreement. 318 pages of facts and figures all broken down including what is allowed for travel, moving, annual escalators and even practice squad salaries ($5,700 per week for 2011).
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Perfect cure for insomnia, isn't it?  Smile

(Actually, it's kind of nice to have source documents rather than just guessing.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

As far as I know, they get flown in or driven in, based on where they are coming from. All work outs are covered under some sort of an insurance policy in case the player is injured during the 'interview'. But there is no salary.