Do Teams Mail It In After Their Wild Card Hopes Collapse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Do Teams Mail It In After Their Wild Card Hopes Collapse?

A couple of days ago on another thread (WEEK FOURTEEN NFL PICKS) I wondered whether Miami and New Orleans would swoon this Sunday:

- - - - - - - - - -

In response to Paul_K's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

I'll take Miami (plus 10.5) and the saints (plus6) with those points all day long. both games will be close unless saints blow out jints.

I also like this matchup with Texans and will happily give up the 4 points.

I agree with the general tactic of sometimes taking a huge underdog and all those points.  Not this week, not with Miami and New Orleans.  Both 5-7 teams have just had their playoff hopes dashed last week, and somehow I expect a mail it in philosophy from the both of them.  San Fran has all sorts of nightmare scenarios ahead if they don't beat Miami after losing to lowly Saint Louis twice.  New England is not at all in the bag for them, and then they have to go to Seattle for the division championship. 

The Giants?  They're a streaky team, beating the good teams and laying down for the bad. 

The Texans game is forecast to be played in New England weather, with a SSW wind averaging 22 mph with gusts to something fierce.  Brady loves short, hard December passes.  Houston won't be able to bomb away.  So, the game becomes a leaner for New England at this point.

So that's the question.  Miami did about as I expected, losing by only 14.  New Orleans lost 52-27.

Do you think New Orleans said "Our season is over today" and pretty much quit on the road against a good Giants team 52-27?

Do you think the Jets on Thanksgiving said "Our season is over today" and pretty much quit at home against a good Patriots team 49-19?

Is this a predictive trend that can be used next year too?

2. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts