Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RiceintheHall. Show RiceintheHall's posts

Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?

I'm trying to find something positive, but this is as bad as I've ever seen it.  Allot of people are killing the play of the defensive backs, but with no pass rush these guys can't cover as long as they are being forced.  To me, were playing three noseguards at the same time in Brace, Wilfork, and Warren.  They create no push and the opposing QB have all day to step-up and throw.  I think some of the flaws we see in the Dbacks could be covered up if someone could get near the QB once in awhile.  I live in Bills country and the Bills are the worst offense I've ever seen and they just smoked our D. I get tired of hearing people say "Fitzpatrick played really well" or "Sanchez played really well" , and so did Flacco, and so did Chad Henne, and so did everyone else we play.  Every opposing QB has career games against us.  Wow they are bad.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?

In Response to Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?:
    I'm trying to find something positive, but this is as bad as I've ever seen it.  Allot of people are killing the play of the defensive backs, but with no pass rush these guys can't cover as long as they are being forced.  To me, were playing three noseguards at the same time in Brace, Wilfork, and Warren.  They create no push and the opposing QB have all day to step-up and throw.  I think some of the flaws we see in the Dbacks could be covered up if someone could get near the QB once in awhile.  I live in Bills country and the Bills are the worst offense I've ever seen and they just smoked our D. I get tired of hearing people say "Fitzpatrick played really well" or "Sanchez played really well" , and so did Flacco, and so did Chad Henne, and so did everyone else we play.  Every opposing QB has career games against us.  Wow they are bad.  
    Posted by RiceintheHall

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

No pass rush + young secondary = lots of yardage and points. They did play a little better in the second half...7 pts 2 ints. Bulter can't play,Arrington should stay as the starter. Some type of blitz packages might help then again that would expose the secondary even more. Maybe long 15 play drives with BJGE running will help keep them off the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Actually they are 1/3 the factor of X(4) to the power of 5 divided .6 x 45.....There you will find your answer!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

for this post and all the similar ones (and i suspect a lot of you are regurgitating the nonsense from WEEI post game show) - your overreactions make you sound silly. you need to watch some other teams play if you really want to see horrible defense. Oakland and Arizona, for example. the giants D is a mess, denver is awful, washington, seattle, cleveland, detroit...thats just off the top of my head.
    giving up 23 points and chunks of yards isnt pretty, but its hardly the worst thing in the world either. we've seen this defense come up with some plays in 2 out 3 games. there are very young players at almost every position. i think they will get better as they year goes on. just have some patience...and with this offense we can wait for them to develop a little bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?:
    for this post and all the similar ones (and i suspect a lot of you are regurgitating the nonsense from WEEI post game show) - your overreactions make you sound silly. you need to watch some other teams play if you really want to see horrible defense. Oakland and Arizona, for example. the giants D is a mess, denver is awful, washington, seattle, cleveland, detroit...thats just off the top of my head. giving up 23 points and chunks of yards isnt pretty, but its hardly the worst thing in the world either. we've seen this defense come up with some plays in 2 out 3 games. there are very young players at almost every position. i think they will get better as they year goes on. just have some patience...and with this offense we can wait for them to develop a little bit.
    Posted by artielang

exactly-good points. the season is young. i could see bitching if we were into the 10th game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

No.

The Eagles give up the most points and Washington gives up the most yards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL? : I respect your opinion on the subject, but I have little faith things will get better this year.   They have no impact players in the front 7.  They don't collapse the pocket or move the QB off his spot.  When they do get occassional pressure its still slow to get through.  We still have Manning, Farve, Rodgers, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez,  and Rothelesberger(?) still to come.  I don't see things getting better.  FYI - I've never listened to WEEI post-game in my life.
    Posted by RiceintheHall

Pink Helmet

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL? : I respect your opinion on the subject, but I have little faith things will get better this year.   They have no impact players in the front 7.  They don't collapse the pocket or move the QB off his spot.  When they do get occassional pressure its still slow to get through.  We still have Manning, Farve, Rodgers, Cutler, Rivers, Sanchez,  and Rothelesberger(?) still to come.  I don't see things getting better.  FYI - I've never listened to WEEI post-game in my life.
    Posted by RiceintheHall

I think you "answered" your own question....time to jump

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotway1. Show patriotway1's posts

For those fans saying it's too early for the others to complain about the Patriot defense, I beg to differ.
    All you need do is watch todays game and understand this was Buffalo. They scored 30 points and their quaterback had far too much time, had he connected on those picks the Patriots would have lost.
    I think there is reason for concerns. The offensive unit today showed signs of extreme possibilities if they can continue. BJGE and Woodhead look like they can be a future stellar duo for the running game. Hernandez could quite possibly replace Randy Moss (if Moss is not resigned) and Gronkowski has an emense future if he stays healthy of course. Even Tate showed good measure at making difficult catches (even though being stripped once).
    With the heavy teams coming up there wont be time for a so called defensive rebuilding, the Patriots cannot afford to lose of course. I honestly feel Bill Belichick sometimes gives certain people too much time to see how they will work out. L. Maroney was given far too long and from the obvious play of Butler, a replacement is must be made. The future of this team is now, not 2 or 3 more years down the road

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Posted by RiceintheHall

You do realize the two INTs today were because of the front seven, don't you? They pressured Fitzpatrick into throwing high on a lot of plays. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?:
    Posted by RiceintheHall

I dont think its the worst but it is bad it may get better as the year goes on but we all expected that last year too and they were at their worst in the playoff loss. 1 question I have is how is a Belichick defense so bad especially after it was bad last year? A bad BB defense 2 years in a row is almost anti NFL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

No. The Patriots have alot of young players that have not played together much as a unit. I see promise in Chung, Brace, Cunningham, Spikes, McCourty. They need a Dline or OLB stud in next years draft as they still do not get enough pressure on the opposing QB. It's a rebuild job and that takes time. We must be realistic.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

The offense is going to have to keep our defense off of the field. It is a total nightmare to see the Pats give up 3rd and 18's like it was second and inches.  It is totally ridulous that a QB like Fitzpatrick is made to look like a decent NFL QB instead of the STIFF that he will be shown to be next week.  Ouch.  While we won the game, this defense is the pits and I don't see it getting better.  The obvious lack of talent will continually be exposed in new and excrutiating ways for the rest of the season.

I'm glad the Raiders blew the game today. We need that pick to be as high as possible to help this defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"FYI - I've never listened to WEEI post-game in my life."

You should - you would like it and you'd fit right in. 

You have little faith as you say, and yes, there is a good chance our defense will be awful all year, but given we have a young defense, would it not make sense to allow for the possibility that they might be able to gell into shape by midseason? What is the point of writing them off now? The only point I can think of is so you can have a self-righteous "I told you so" post later this season if things don't resolve themselves. 

I love these "I have concerns too" posters. Sure, we all have concerns. But most of us focus our concerns on the real problems we have in our lives and just enjoy the games. 

p.s. you want something positive: 

a. we got two picks
    b. WE GOT THE WIN

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bodden and Warren are really missed

The decision to pass on Clay Matthews and instead keep trading into the future or using a 2nd rd pick on a NT in Brace just in case Wilfork wasn't re-signed, was a poor one.

This team is ok, the defense will get better and we'll probably end up in the 2nd rd of the playoffs.

Next year, Bodden and Warren returning is like getting two elite FA's. Sign Jamaal Charles or D'Angelo Williams to replace Taylor. Keep the major FA's we have (Moss/Light) and trade Mankins (who we really don't need that bad) for a 2nd rd pick and bring in 5 great players in the 1st 50 picks, at least 3 on D and two who rush the QB.

Then we will be NASTY next year.

This team will have spent the 3 year gap between undefeated in '07 and Super Bowl favorite in '11 with 30+ wins and a 1-2 playoff record. Not too bad for 'rebuilding'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

This defense is point blank beyond ridiculous. Give me a break, when a team like this puts up those points and yards on you at home you are not good, not good at all. They can't rush, can't tackle, can't stop the run, and they can't cover. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, they all have nice dreads and look to be very nice be boppers:(

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

It will be interesting to revisit this topic after game 10.  This Pat's defense has tons of potential to go with their youth and inexperience.  They have a master defensive coach teaching them. It could very well be that they round themselves into a pretty good unit as the games go on.  Right now, it's tough to tell if they will greatly improve or if is this what we get.  I'm hoping for improvement by leaps and bounds.

But we should know something pretty concrete about how good the D can be by game 10.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Not the worst - but bottom 5 is an accurate description.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

How many points did the esteem Jet's defense allow? I believe we allowed one fewer and reality is the Bill's were given 7 pts on special teams that should have been negated by a block in the back that was not called.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

They are what they are, and right now they're not very good.  However, it's a defense starting a lot of young players and it's only week 3.  This is a defense that should get better as the season goes on. I think there's sufficient talent among the front seven (even if it's uneven in some positions). The real question mark for this team is corner. I think McCourty will steadily improve and turn into a good starter.  But the other corner position is a serious concern and if that doesn't get better it's going to be hard for this team to stop drives. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that one of our two safety positions is weak.  (Chung is good, but Sanders isn't that talented and Merriweather is too undisciplined and therefore unreliable.)  If I were BB, I'd be bringing free agent corners in for looks every week in the hope of finding someone who has talent but has been overlooked.  Or I'd think about trading for a corner, though I suspect BB will not trade unless he thinks he can get decent value and that might be tough at this point in the season.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

some of the posters on here really make me sick sometimes.

you do realize you have a team who dumped pretty much all of their vets on defense, and many on offense in the last 2 years, and has brought in youth in almost every position, right? you do realize that most teams who go through rebuilding the way we did are HORRIBLE at football, yes? we're in year 2 of a major rebuild and shift from "old and smart" to "young, smart, and hungry".

i'm amazed we're doing as well as we are. if this is the low-point for the Pats doing a huge rebuild, i'm a happy guy. you can't win them all every time, especially during a time like this. but once this team has had a season to work together and figure out their identity, bring in another class of respectable talent, and get them to gel with the team, things will turn up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

Guys, we have to realize that the defense has alot of problems.  Hopefully, they will begin to come together.  I think it is alot of the things that goes into our defensive problems. I think we have some bad schemes, we play to far off the receivers, tackling, communication problems between players.  We can contribute this to in experience, but, we going to have to fix this fast.  When you have teams having career days on us, it says something negative about our defense.  I am still positive about our defense and with time they will get better.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Worst in the NFL- No.  But they look bad. 

Opposing QB's have completed 70% of their passes against the Pats.  Luckily this offense has been good enough to pull out some wins so far and they are good enough to get more. 

The offense is basically holding down the fort until the defense develops.  But if the defense doesn't start showing improvement soon then they will struggle against playoff caliber teams.

They get out of position, overpursue, and tackle poorly sometimes.  It can be fixed, but how long will that take is the question.

Sections
Shortcuts