Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?

The defense is certainly in the bottom 20%.   The real question is will they improve as the season goes along or will they get so spun around that they don't even know what end zone they're defending?

There are some positive signs however.  The middle five can play well against the run, which is something of a surprise to me.  If Brace can play well and Mayo can keep it cranked up they might be competitive.  The OLB's and DB's are a total mess, and it's a mess of Belichick's making.

All season long the most important Over/Under number for the Pats is 3.  If they punt more than three times a game they will almost certainly lose.  if they punt less than three times a game they will probably win.  Yesterday they punted three times and came dangerously close to losing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

They are young. Plain and simple. They make mistakes that younger players make. Not being in the right place, stupid penalties etc... Not having Ty Warren up front hurts the pass rush too. So, I wouldn't say they are even close to the worst defense in the league. Just young with a learning curve. They are getting some solid playing time and that is the best way to learn. The Patriots have some good picks in next years draft to continue to build this young D into a powerhouse for years to come. Everyone just has to be patient. Each year they will be better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2for4. Show 2for4's posts

A little to early to crown them as the worst, but they are making a strong case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL?:
    for this post and all the similar ones (and i suspect a lot of you are regurgitating the nonsense from WEEI post game show) - your overreactions make you sound silly. you need to watch some other teams play if you really want to see horrible defense. Oakland and Arizona, for example. the giants D is a mess, denver is awful, washington, seattle, cleveland, detroit...thats just off the top of my head. giving up 23 points and chunks of yards isnt pretty, but its hardly the worst thing in the world either. we've seen this defense come up with some plays in 2 out 3 games. there are very young players at almost every position. i think they will get better as they year goes on. just have some patience...and with this offense we can wait for them to develop a little bit.
    Posted by artielang

I agree whole heartedly.  While its true that this is not one of the defenses that we loved so much in the past, it certainly is not the worst in the league.  I note that the YETS so-called best defense in the league had to be bailed out by their offense last evening. 

On to week four, where it will not get any easier.  I think this game coming up will tell us a great deal about this version of the BB PATS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

For those fans saying it's too early for the others to complain about the Patriot defense, I beg to differ. All you need do is watch todays game and understand this was Buffalo. They scored 30 points and their quaterback had far too much time, had he connected on those picks the Patriots would have lost. I think there is reason for concerns. The offensive unit today showed signs of extreme possibilities if they can continue. BJGE and Woodhead look like they can be a future stellar duo for the running game. Hernandez could quite possibly replace Randy Moss (if Moss is not resigned) and Gronkowski has an emense future if he stays healthy of course. Even Tate showed good measure at making difficult catches (even though being stripped once). With the heavy teams coming up there wont be time for a so called defensive rebuilding, the Patriots cannot afford to lose of course. I honestly feel Bill Belichick sometimes gives certain people too much time to see how they will work out. L. Maroney was given far too long and from the obvious play of Butler, a replacement is must be made. The future of this team is now, not 2 or 3 more years down the road
    Posted by patriotway1

Uh...  But he didn't connect on those picks and they didn't win the game.  Doesn't the defense get credit for that?  Those are the facts, your post is speculation.  They will not go back and award the game to the Bills based on your speculation.

The defense is a work in progress. There will be good days and lousy days.  I beleive they will get better over all.  When the good days happen, give credit where credit is due.

Personally, as far as the Bills are concerned, I will be inteterested in how they play against the YETS.  If there offense shows up again against them, perhaps you will adjust your view.  If they don't, I will have to adjust mine 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pml120. Show pml120's posts

Their defense is down right awful.......and the two picks were gifts.....if the D doesn't get any better, it's going to be a long season. Brady and company can only do do much and one other thing Brady and company do not play defense last time I checked. Young D yes, but you can start to push the panic button after 3 games. 24, 28, and 30 points given up. The Bills have a terrible O and the way the played against the Pats made them look like contenders. The Pats are in big trouble and if they continue to play D like yesterday they have no chance against the Fins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Pats Defense, KISS

Maybe BB is asking these guys to execute a defense that is too complex for them? These kids are first class athletes and very successful football players for most of their lives. When you watch other teams, do you get the sense their defensive players are better athletes than ours?  I don't. But I do get the sense our guys don't always know what to do. Indecisive. Maybe BB is asking these guys to be more scholar than athlete, and crippling them.  Sometimes really smart people with the most elaborate plans aren't as successful as people with a simple plan that everybody understands.  I'd opt for an extremely simple but extremely aggressive defensive game plan, to at least give the kids an opportunity to fight (which might also improve morale, which has to be low right now). And if an offensive is going to score - lay some hurt on them. 

BB seems to be more than a bit of a control freak. Suggest he needs to let go and turn the kids loose. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

49ers and Bills have given up 87 combined points through 3 games...the next team is, the Pats with 82 points given up...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

some of the posters on here really make me sick sometimes. you do realize you have a team who dumped pretty much all of their vets on defense, and many on offense in the last 2 years, and has brought in youth in almost every position, right? you do realize that most teams who go through rebuilding the way we did are HORRIBLE at football, yes? we're in year 2 of a major rebuild and shift from "old and smart" to "young, smart, and hungry". i'm amazed we're doing as well as we are. if this is the low-point for the Pats doing a huge rebuild, i'm a happy guy. you can't win them all every time, especially during a time like this. but once this team has had a season to work together and figure out their identity, bring in another class of respectable talent, and get them to gel with the team, things will turn up.
    Posted by mjxg

I like your thoughts here.  I'm seeing guys just a bit off.  They do compete for footballs more.  Merriweather got out of position on the Spiller T.D.  We get there.  Didn't get a sack, but Fitzgerald did get it out of there pretty fast, and moves well.  We gave up a freebie on Special teams.  Fixable.  Its a long season, lets beat Miami, get to the bye, and get ready for the Ravens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

The defense looked like crap most of the game but I think they can improve as the season goes on.  At least we know Mark Sanchez isn't all that bad after he carved up a pretty solid Dolphins defense last night on the road.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Q.  Do the Patriots have the worst defense in the NFL? I can answer this one...Yes, I believe we do.  We have an amazing collection of no-name guys who can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't rush the passer, and can't make big plays. Wilfork is our best player, bar none. Chung is probably second.  Mayo is just a guy.  Everyone else is below average to horrible.
    Posted by John413

Having a "name" guy helps?  Ask the Redskins about the name "Haynesworth".  the fact that you threw no-name in there flies in the face of some championship Patriot teams.  It's simply NOT a unit of measure.  Other than that, I think you may be going overboard a bit here.  We must have stopped something.  We gave them a TD on special teams, and a touchdown, that if I recall, came on a short field after a turnover.  Not super great, but not the Titanic either.  Horrible, certainly not.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

49ers and Bills have given up 87 combined points through 3 games...the next team is, the Pats with 82 points given up...
    Posted by beavis

Difference is, both the 49ers and Bills are 0-3.  We are 2-1.  BIG difference.  The defense at least got a few stops, and did actually do some pretty good work.  

Sections
Shortcuts