Do The Patriots make the playoffs without Gronk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Do The Patriots make the playoffs without Gronk?

Curious as to others thoughts here. I still expect this team to continue to win, but I do wonder if the offense will struggle.

When I watch Gronk and some of the incredible plays he makes, the huge-target he presents to Brady, and the inability of defenses to cover him, I start to worry that this offense will begin to struggle.

This will allow teams to focus more on the running-game, and take away Welker. Edelman, Lloyd, and Hernandez are all threats, but they don't present the challenge that Gronk poses.

It's my hope that the offense adapts, and it's my hope that if they don't, the revamped defense will pick up the slack, but I do wonder if the offense will stall, and the team will struggle for the remainder of the season, especially against Houston and San Fran.

Does this team have enough talent to win the necessary games down the stretch to maintain a division lead?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: Do The Patriots make the playoffs without Gronk?

Yes, division is weak.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Hypothetically speaking, if New England was to lose to the Jets this week, they'd go to 7-4, 3-1 in the division, and 1-1 vs. the Jets. 

The Jets would go to 5-6, 3-2 in the divsion, and 1-1 vs. the Pats.

The obvious advantage still belongs to the Patriots, but things would get interesting at that point.

If New England was to win, which I expect that they will, they would essentially lock-up the division.

The Jets have a cupcake of a schedule remaining, facing (after playing the Pats) Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, and Buffalo. 

The Patriots however, have a tougher road, facing Houston and San Fran.

The Dolphins shouldn't pose a threat, as they too have to play San Fran, but the Bills have a fairly easy schedule remaining as well.

Thursday's game is a big deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

As long as Hernandez is able to play we will be fine. Gronk will be missed but this teamhas plenty of depth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

If the Pats win their next two games, it would require the Pats to lose out the last 4 and the Dolphins to win out the last 4 for us to possibly lose the division.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Oh without a doubt, we will. The real question is, can we make the No. 2 seed (expecting that Houston won't give up their #1 spot).

We could sure use that first-round bye week to give Gronk some extra rest in returning for the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Pats win their next two games, it would require the Pats to lose out the last 4 and the Dolphins to win out the last 4 for us to possibly lose the division.

[/QUOTE]

Nevermind. The Bills could still run the table to steal the division. But my point is, it's very unlikely

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hypothetically speaking, if New England was to lose to the Jets this week, they'd go to 7-4, 3-1 in the division, and 1-1 vs. the Jets. 

The Jets would go to 5-6, 3-2 in the divsion, and 1-1 vs. the Pats.

The obvious advantage still belongs to the Patriots, but things would get interesting at that point.

If New England was to win, which I expect that they will, they would essentially lock-up the division.

The Jets have a cupcake of a schedule remaining, facing (after playing the Pats) Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, and Buffalo. 

The Patriots however, have a tougher road, facing Houston and San Fran.

The Dolphins shouldn't pose a threat, as they too have to play San Fran, but the Bills have a fairly easy schedule remaining as well.

Thursday's game is a big deal.

[/QUOTE]

Good points. And to think someone started a thread the other day "why all the jets threads"

Big game on the road in 5 days.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Let's hope Gronk can get healthy quickly -- same for Jones.

This team will be fine without the two of them, I have full confidence in that, but they're key players, and this team is better with them out there.

Next man up, and hope for speedy recoveries.

Go Pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots have pretty much made the playoffs now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots have pretty much made the playoffs now.

[/QUOTE]

You're right. 

I need to be more optimistic, haha! :D

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Curious as to others thoughts here. I still expect this team to continue to win, but I do wonder if the offense will struggle.

When I watch Gronk and some of the incredible plays he makes, the huge-target he presents to Brady, and the inability of defenses to cover him, I start to worry that this offense will begin to struggle.

This will allow teams to focus more on the running-game, and take away Welker. Edelman, Lloyd, and Hernandez are all threats, but they don't present the challenge that Gronk poses.

It's my hope that the offense adapts, and it's my hope that if they don't, the revamped defense will pick up the slack, but I do wonder if the offense will stall, and the team will struggle for the remainder of the season, especially against Houston and San Fran.

Does this team have enough talent to win the necessary games down the stretch to maintain a division lead?

[/QUOTE]

PlayOffs PlayOffs, We Are SB Bound........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think things have changed this year from last year because we have a running game now. This will allow us to plug another te in for gronk because we can play action now. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I think the question is can we win the super bowl without him and last year showed the answer to be no (he was hobbled by the high ankle sprain).

@ 7-3 We're pretty much a lock to win the division. All we need to do is to play .500 ball the rest of the way that gives us 10 wins...Don't see anyone else in our division winning 11 games. Thursday vs the Jet's should be interesting and if we can win that one. The fat lady will begin to warm up...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

They should have no problem making the playoffs but a bye might be a challenge at this point. Hou and SF back to back was difficult before, now I don't think they can pull it out. The rest of the games though should be much easier victories where the lose of Gronk won't hurt nearly as bad

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

They'll make the playoffs and more.  The thing that will be missed is his blocking...no joke.  They've got offense up the wazoo, but he's one of the best blockers on the team. 

But they'll need Hernandez back soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

See no reason they won't make the playoffs.  Number 2 seed in the conference will be tough with or without Gronk.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This is a silly question. Just who in this division would overtake them? Making it has never been the issue. Winning it all, or even getting to the SB is the question, and at this point between the injuries and question marks, I dont think they have what it takes.

Sections
Shortcuts