Do the Pats front office know this before signing Williams?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Do the Pats front office know this before signing Williams?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-former-ravens-wr-laquan-williams-being-sued-after-alleged-fight-outside-a-nightclub-in-june-20131112,0,2745141.story

" Former Ravens wide receiver LaQuan Williams is facing a civil lawsuit in District of Columbia Superior Court accusing him of assault and battery stemming from an alleged altercation in June outside of a Washington strip club, according to court records obtained by The Baltimore Sun.

The lawsuit, filed by Stadium Club security guards Owen Collier Jr. and Smart, alleges that Williams and his entourage of roughly 30 people were asked to leave the nightclub because: "They were smoking marijuana and other illegal substances inside the club.""

Although this may not be as bad as it sounded because no criminal charge was filed by the police.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Re: Do the Pats front office know this before signing Williams?

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I am sure they did. No need to troll.

Baltimore Sun and Field Yates are the ones who reported that. Were they trolling?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Baltimore Sun and Field Yates are the ones who reported that. Were they trolling?

No. But you suggesting NE didn't dig into any new signees backgrounds kinda is.

[/QUOTE]

How do you know what the front office had done in the screening and how thorough a job it was in the case of a minor player. Are you with the team? Who was the ex-Bills defense end who was cut for undisclosed medical condition but walked away with some of  the signing bonus. Williams may have not bring up the incident because no charge was filed. I am more concerned about his entourage mentality and the allegation of illicit drug use.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Bill Belichik doesn't care about weed violations. He shouldn't. It's 2013 people. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The allegation was that the group got thrown out of the strip joint because they were using marijuana AND OTHER ILLICIT SUBSTANCES. And it was a strip joint, not Harvard Club. You don't get thrown out of a strip joint for smoking marijuana there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He'll be cut by the end of the week anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Williams was cut by Baltimore in September. He had a 4 receptions in the NFL since coming out of college in 2011. He apparently is having problem learning the Pats playbook, and who did he ask for help?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/laquan-williams-asks-chad-johnson-for-help-picking-up-new-england-patriots-playbook-110713

He got loser and thug written all over him. Hope 49Patriots is right.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Rusty I disagree. I think it is a fair question to ask in light of the heat the Pats PI's been under since the AH situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was not known, otherwise why sign the guy? If he was a starter sure you can overlook a fews hiccups, but a guy who barely qualifies as a JAG and may see the field 1 or 2 snaps a game? Doesnt seem worth it to me. And I am not trying to make a big deal out of marijuanna use, speaking of the lawsuit for battery and the use of "other substances" in the club.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

....You don't get thrown out of a strip joint for smoking marijuana there.

You don't? I've never been to any club, strip or otherwise, or any other legit business, where you wouldn't get tossed for smoking weed (other than maybe a concert hall). Then again, I don't do much clubbing these days so maybe I'm way behind the times...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Rusty logic... defend BB's coaching and GMing at all costs. If this guy is a bad egg it will be because of Brady.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

How do you know what the front office had done and how good a job it was. Are you with the team? Who was the ex-Bills defense end who was cut for undisclosed medical condition but walked away with some of  the signing bonus. Williams may have not bring up the incident because no charge was filed. I am more concerned about his entourage mentality and allegation of illicit drug use.

were you not the one bashing another poster over a weed related subject but now it is no big deal... your a trip man.

Dude, 70% of the NFL smokes weed, generally speaking.  Enough. Let it go. No charges, nothing.

I am sure they are well aware of the incident.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if I am not mistaken, they signed him to a 2 year contract

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

if I am not mistaken, they signed him to a 2 year contract

I thought i read that also. I believe there is zero guaranteed dollars. no cap hit ramifications if cut.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Bill Belichik doesn't care about weed violations. He shouldn't. It's 2013 people. 

Well yea but not because its 2013. It would be because his son smokes weed

• You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

But it's a gateway drug.  I didn't know until this summer but apparently it leads to things like triple homicides.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Legit question. Williams is being sued for millions. Description of incident sounds typical of  excessive alcohol fueled free for alls. Not weed everybody happy moments. Given the AH debacle- I would think the Pats would have an upgrade on their due diligence process in place.  The thug factor creates a whole lot of trouble. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

...I've never been to any club, strip or otherwise, or any other legit business, where you wouldn't get tossed for smoking weed (other than maybe a concert hall). Then again, I don't do much clubbing these days so maybe I'm way behind the times...

It obviously depends on the management of the club, strip club, concert venue, etc. If you're in Chicago, you can do whatever you want.

If you're in Indianpolis or Des Moines, IA, ya kinda can't.

For real? You can smoke weed out in the open in Chicago strip clubs? I know you can't in Florida - you can bang a stripper, but you can't smoke weed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This guy's situation is closer to Dennard than Hernandez, isn't it? It was an incident, he punched someone, he got sued. No guns, no dead bodies, he not only didn't get arrested but the cops are getting sued by the same alleged victim? 

Dennard is still on the team and he was arrested and convicted. How can they fire Williams for what he allegedly did?

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Rusty I disagree. I think it is a fair question to ask in light of the heat the Pats PI's been under since the AH situation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was not known, otherwise why sign the guy? If he was a starter sure you can overlook a fews hiccups, but a guy who barely qualifies as a JAG and may see the field 1 or 2 snaps a game? Doesnt seem worth it to me. And I am not trying to make a big deal out of marijuanna use, speaking of the lawsuit for battery and the use of "other substances" in the club.

I don't think it's a fair question at all. To question whether or not the NE Partiots are doing due dlliegence on players pre AH or now post AH, is pretty dumb.  Of course they knew about it.

Every player in this league has a dossier on them and NE knows all about his off field legal situation. I am not falling for this media garbage of Kraf and BB tossing all NFL player dossiers out the window, not caring what kind of a player they're bringing in. Sorry.  The media does a nice job planting that seed, but I am not taking that bait.

I'd bet my life they knew about this, looked into it and were comfortable based on the evidence they gathered, that it's a situation that is not going to reflect poorly back on the organization.

Otherwise, they wouldn't have signed him. Simple.

If you look at the pattern, the writer at the Baltimore Sun released this backstory almost as a reason as to why Balt parted ways with Williams. The real reason?  Teams in cap hell who need to clean up their books a bit for next year, are going to start doing so. This guy may have been a fringe player, but he's a good STs player for them, but they're moving on where they can.  HE's due a new deal, he ain't getting one, and so they're cutting bait.

Teams are not going to announce "Hey!  We're in cap hell!  We're trying to make it seem like we're going all the way, but we're really not!"  

Expect more and more of this where you see teams who are teetering on the season to cut players over who won't be resigned in 2014.   

Do you think Ed Reed was cut just because? Of course not!  He was cut because Houston is out of it and trying to clean up their books ahead of the offseason so they can start figuring out what they've got. They'll get some young players on film at Safety, hope to save 400K and start looking towards 2014.

Field Yates posting it was a bit surprising. Not usually his style to go all TMZ like that.

But yet you say BB had no Idea about A.H.??  Do you know how crazy that sounds??

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-former-ravens-wr-laquan-williams-being-sued-after-alleged-fight-outside-a-nightclub-in-june-20131112,0,2745141.story

" Former Ravens wide receiver LaQuan Williams is facing a civil lawsuit in District of Columbia Superior Court accusing him of assault and battery stemming from an alleged altercation in June outside of a Washington strip club, according to court records obtained by The Baltimore Sun.

The lawsuit, filed by Stadium Club security guards Owen Collier Jr. and Smart, alleges that Williams and his entourage of roughly 30 people were asked to leave the nightclub because: "They were smoking marijuana and other illegal substances inside the club.""

Although this may not be as bad as it sounded because no criminal charge was filed by the police.

no because Pats and Bellichick only sign high-character types who are all about team first

not like those other 31 teams who don't know what they are doing and have no ethics

signed: Rusty

I am surprised about the signing...

If the Pats did not know the situation, they look foolish. If they did know the situation, they look like they did noit learn their lesson.

I think it is different than the Dennerd situation. Dennerd has been here, keeping himself out of the news, no trouble. The team has a pretty good handle on how his situation will end, quietly, no jail time, as long as he keeps himself out of trouble, it pretty much goes away. The Williams situation is bringing in a known problem, that at this moment the team has no idea on the outcome. Why bring in the negative publicity and 2nd guessing after the Hern situation? The Pats dont know this guy from a hole in the wall. If he gets into additional trouble, the Pats open themselves up to deserved criticism...

If the Pats did not know the situation, they look foolish. If they did know the situation, they look like they did noit learn their lesson.

I think it is different than the Dennerd situation. Dennerd has been here, keeping himself out of the news, no trouble. The team has a pretty good handle on how his situation will end, quietly, no jail time, as long as he keeps himself out of trouble, it pretty much goes away. The Williams situation is bringing in a known problem, that at this moment the team has no idea on the outcome. Why bring in the negative publicity and 2nd guessing after the Hern situation? The Pats dont know this guy from a hole in the wall. If he gets into additional trouble, the Pats open themselves up to deserved criticism...

I think the whole J.Martin/Incognito thing sheds light on this whole problem and why these stories keep popping up and will continue. THE NFL IS A TOUGH PLACE TO PLAY. How many top notch college players are drafted yearly and gone the next year? Is the talent level THAT much greater?? Sure it is, but weve seen talented players not make it. Why did the Pats go after Kembrell Thompkins instead of more of a system fit like Kenny Stills? Well KT had 9 arrests before the age 18 and likely wont back down to an NFL cb after being on the streets selling drugs? Are you catching my drift? These are things I have known but the recent J.martin thing lets you know HOW FAR a team will go to protect their investment. Joe Philbin drafted a guy he should have known was soft(draft scouts make remarks like "he has a mean streak" or whatever. You can go after those guys.

The problem comes in when you have a talented player thats not crazy persey and he regresses in the face of veteran nfl players who are trying to take his lunch on the field. Big difference between college players and grown men working for their families. I know how hard I would go if my family depending on it.

So BB is just using ANOTHER idiealogy by saying, instead of taking Kenny Stills who is a great fit and fast but may not be tough enough, Im gonna take a guy I know who is tough who may be raw and try to acclimate him to an NFL offense. Either way, all teams take bad character guys cuz its what you need in the NFL. Maybe not all 53 but you NEED some dogs to be good. We have 3 on defense. Spikes ,Talib Dennard. We had noone on offense like that hence the drafting of Hernandez to make our offense tougher. KT being drafted this year to bring it back. Logan was drafted not for his measurables but because they knew after wrestling cattle, he wouldnt back down to any lineman.

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think the whole J.Martin/Incognito thing sheds led on this whole problem and why these stories keep popping up and will continue. THE NFL IS A TOUGH PLACE TO PLAY. How many top notch college players are drafted yearly and gone the next year? Is the talent level THAT much greater?? Sure it is, but weve seen talented players not make it. Why did the Pats go after Kembrell Thompkins instead of more of a system fit like Kenny Stills? Well KT had 9 arrests before the age 18 and likely wont back down to an NFL cb after being on the streets selling drugs? Are you catching my drift? These are things I have known but the recent J.martin thing lets you know HOW FAR a team will to protect their investment. Joe Philbin drafted a guy he should have known was soft(draft scouts make remarks like "he has a mean streak" or whatever. YOu can go after those guys.

The problem comes in when you have a talented player thats not crazy persey and he regresses in the face of veteran nfl players who are trying to take his lunch on the field. Big difference between college players and grown men working for their families. I know how hard I would go if my family depending on it.

So BB is just using ANOTHER idiealogy by saying, instead of taking Kenny Stills who is a great fit and fast but may not be tough enough, Im gonna take a guy I know who is tough who may be raw and try to acclimate him to an NFL offense. Either way, all teams take bad character guys cuz its what you need in the NFL. Maybe not all 53 but you NEED some dogs to be good. We have 3 on defense. Spikes and Talib Dennard.

I get your point. I agree with your point. But if you are correct, which most likely you are, don't have BB or Kraft sit there and lie to our faces like they did with the Hern situation...you cant have it both ways...you cant say you knew nothing about the Hern situation, yet you have complete knowledge on everything Williams did or didnt do. Dont sit with 3 members of the media and opine you want to be a pillar in the community, but bring in a guy that is using drugs in public places and getting into near riot fights.

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I think the whole J.Martin/Incognito thing sheds led on this whole problem and why these stories keep popping up and will continue. THE NFL IS A TOUGH PLACE TO PLAY. How many top notch college players are drafted yearly and gone the next year? Is the talent level THAT much greater?? Sure it is, but weve seen talented players not make it. Why did the Pats go after Kembrell Thompkins instead of more of a system fit like Kenny Stills? Well KT had 9 arrests before the age 18 and likely wont back down to an NFL cb after being on the streets selling drugs? Are you catching my drift? These are things I have known but the recent J.martin thing lets you know HOW FAR a team will to protect their investment. Joe Philbin drafted a guy he should have known was soft(draft scouts make remarks like "he has a mean streak" or whatever. YOu can go after those guys.

So BB is just using ANOTHER idiealogy by saying, instead of taking Kenny Stills who is a great fit and fast but may not be tough enough, Im gonna take a guy I know who is tough who may be raw and try to acclimate him to an NFL offense. Either way, all teams take bad character guys cuz its what you need in the NFL. Maybe not all 53 but you NEED some dogs to be good. We have 3 on defense. Spikes and Talib Dennard.

I get your point. I agree with your point. But if you are correct, which most likely you are, don't have BB or Kraft sit there and lie to our faces like they did with the Hern situation...you cant have it both ways...you cant say you knew nothing about the Hern situation, yet you have complete knowledge on everything Williams did or didnt do. Dont sit with 3 members of the media and opine you want to be a pillar in the community, but bring in a guy that is using drugs in public places and getting into near riot fights.

oh well I never believed Kraft anyway. People need to accept things as they are. If you love football than just watch on sundays. I said this way back when Vick was caught for fighting dogs. ALL my sources said most nfl players were there making bets, etc and were generally cool with it but they all were gone when Vick was doing time. If you wanna probe into all these guys personal lives, you will likely stop supporting. I love football so I try to keep that part seperate and not let it affect me. I realize I dont know these guys and respect them for their football acumens ONLY and dont put any of them on a pedastal same with entertainers who are likely selling thier souls. Just listen to the music cuz these folks wouldnt spit on you if you were lit up.

It is what it is. Kraft lied....thats what billionaire CEOs do all over the world. He is about business and bottom line is winning and if you need dogs to win, dogs will continue to play here.

• Sections
    Shortcuts