Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?

Listen I get it, In Bill we trust but I am still upset about trading Seymore. I still consider Seymore one of the best D linemen in the game and we let him go and I just hate this move. I know why we did it but i dont like it.

Now Rodney Harrison has retired, Tedy Bruschi has retired, Mike Vrabel was traded and now Seymore has been traded. Who is going to be the leader on this D? We no longer have leadership on this defense, we no longer have the guys who won 3 championships and I just really think losing Seymore hurts us. We have no more identity on this defense. Our run defense wont be as good with out Seymore, our LBs are not as good with out Vrabes and Bru and our pass defense was shaky already. Do we have the defense to win it all? People on here were doubting our D before the Seymore deal due to the D backs and now we lose one of our best linemen and we are a better D? I think not. We are going to have to score 40 or 50 points a game this year. So do we have a championship defense?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?

In Response to Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?:
    [QUOTE]Listen I get it, In Bill we trust but I am still upset about trading Seymore. I still consider Seymore one of the best D linemen in the game and we let him go and I just hate this move. I know why we did it but i dont like it. Now Rodney Harrison has retired, Tedy Bruschi has retired, Mike Vrabel was traded and now Seymore has been traded. Who is going to be the leader on this D? We no longer have leadership on this defense, we no longer have the guys who won 3 championships and I just really think losing Seymore hurts us. We have no more identity on this defense. Our run defense wont be as good with out Seymore, our LBs are not as good with out Vrabes and Bru and our pass defense was shaky already. Do we have the defense to win it all? People on here were doubting our D before the Seymore deal due to the D backs and now we lose one of our best linemen and we are a better D? I think not. We are going to have to score 40 or 50 points a game this year. So do we have a championship defense?
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

The Pats' D was stopping the run all preseason so I think they will be fine in that department. I would rather have Guyton, Thomas, and Mayo over 33 year old Brushci and Vrabel. The only downside to losing Seymour is that they didn't bring in someone that can rush the passer and play at the other OLB position.

If the Pats can get a handle on a pass rusher, they will be back in business. That's why I want Shawne Merriman. He would only be a one year rental but I think Bill still believes that Crable is the future so a rental is needed until Crable comes back (hopefully) next year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

There is little to no leadership on that defense. Mayo had Bruschi next to him last so we dont know how much he leaned on Bru for on the field advice so I really hope that Mayo is everything we think he is cause he could have a sophmore slump with no vets on his team to help him along. ty Warren is note a vocal leader its just not his thing and Wilfork is unhappy with the team right now so who knows what we get out of him. Who else could step up as a leader? James Sanders? I doubt it. I hope Brandon Merriwhether has a monster year but i cant count on that. I just dont think this defense is better with out Bru and Seymore and I am a little worried about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

I agree with many of your thoughts but... the reason this happened is primarily for CAP purposes. It would most likely come down to losing Wilfork. And are you going to put your future in a 30 yr. old who has a recent history of injury or the "real" star of your DL who's young and hungry? I feel that was the case. It's terribly unfortunate but...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

The defense is not super bowl caliber yet.  However, I think the switch to a 4-3 will help out the linebackers giving them less responsibility but in a different way.  I think the front 7 or 8 is very good..the secondary is young and it will get attacked until it begins to gel with the rest of the unit.  The key stat is points allowed.  I believe I read in all of the super bowl years the Pats defense let up less than 300 points.  That is the key not the yards.  Third down defense is critical.  Hopefully the offense will be flying high and give that young secondary a cushion.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLeonHess. Show LLeonHess's posts

Nope

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Killa, Rodney, Tedy, and Vrabel were great players, but they can't play forever.  And even if they were all still with the club, all players would be shell's of their former selves.  I'm not too worried about Seymour's departure, and I like having a young defense on the field that will have fresh legs late in the game and late in the season.  The NE offense will force teams to the Pass, which is going to help the D quite abit.  And let's face facts, the NE offense was masking alot of deficiencies in the D for quite a few years now.  I see the D improving and even player at a higher level will all their new speed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

not even close

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Provfgxi. Show Provfgxi's posts

As of now none of us know if the Pats D will be good enough.  They have potential to be very good assuming everyone "does their job".  Mayo is a leader, Merriweather learned from Harrison much like Mayo did from Bruschi,  Jarvis Green has been called a starter on the bench before so now he'll get his chance.  They got Burgess so he can be that pass rush force with Adalius.  The Pats are extremely high on the rookie Pryor and Brace has shown to be good as well.  So by week 8-10 we'll know the answer to the question.  Either way what we do know is that the offense will keep this team in any game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLeonHess. Show LLeonHess's posts

Never mind the defense Killa!

You don't have a backup QB!I'm saying the pats go 8 and 8 at best.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

This point has been made over and over again in all of these endlessly repetitive threads, but the most recent championsip-calibre Pats teams lost a Super Bowl and an AFC Championship Game they were leading in the last two minutes because the old, slow, tired defense gassed out in crunch time.

This may not be a Super Bowl-calibre defense, but my hope is that it will at least have its legs under it for 60 minutes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

It's about winning, not leadership.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

simply stated, no...oh, our squad should win the division and make the playoffs...anything else would be a surprise, though...this just isn't the year...too much transition on the defensive side of the ball, which stinks because Brady and Moss are not getting any younger...kind of a wasted year (like last) when the team is built to win now (and expected to get to the Superbowl)...i like the Seymour trade, but, as previously stated, we're built to win now...an already weak defense is now weaker...what can you do?

Ravens-Giants Superbowl, you heard it hear first...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeonLike. Show LeonLike's posts

No defense and an over the hill QB-As a Jets fan this will be a great year!
    Especially in here when you will hear-FIRE BB!

LOL and you know that I am!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?:
    [QUOTE]Listen I get it, In Bill we trust but I am still upset about trading Seymore. I still consider Seymore one of the best D linemen in the game and we let him go and I just hate this move. I know why we did it but i dont like it. Now Rodney Harrison has retired, Tedy Bruschi has retired, Mike Vrabel was traded and now Seymore has been traded. Who is going to be the leader on this D? We no longer have leadership on this defense, we no longer have the guys who won 3 championships and I just really think losing Seymore hurts us. We have no more identity on this defense. Our run defense wont be as good with out Seymore, our LBs are not as good with out Vrabes and Bru and our pass defense was shaky already. Do we have the defense to win it all? People on here were doubting our D before the Seymore deal due to the D backs and now we lose one of our best linemen and we are a better D? I think not. We are going to have to score 40 or 50 points a game this year. So do we have a championship defense?

Alot of us hate the trade killa, but from a business aspect it does make good sense.  As to the Pats having a Sb defense, we'll just have to see.
    I keep thinking back to last year when every body was calling for Cassell's head and most thought BB was nutts for not bringing in another Qb.  Apparently, he knew what he was doing and stuck with his man.  As of yet, I see him taking the same stance and he is not bringing in any more help.  That kinda makes me think he is happy with what he has.  There may still be some trades, but for now, don't panic.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- " . . .  kind of a wasted year (like last) when the team is built to win now . . . " -- 

As Barney might say, "We got to nip this in the bud."

The Pats aren't built to win now, and they're not rebuilding.

The Pats are built to win every year.

If I remember correctly, the guy in the funny costume at Concord Bridge told me once that a proficient Minuteman could reload his weapon under fire in less than 20 seconds.

Think about that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We just dont have that Bill Belichick guy out on the field anymore guys, Bruschi as BB called him was teh perfect football player. He was a coach on the field and he knew what Belichick wanted out of his players. Who do we have now that does that? And if you say Mayo I might vomit. I love Mayo but one good season doesnt make you a veteren. Mayo had Bruschi in his ear all year last year helping him learn the defense now he is all alone so no one knows how he will play. Vrabel and Seymore can still play, they are not over the hill the way Bruschi was starting to look so i dont see how this team is better with out these two guys. I know it was about the money but as a fan I want to see a return for this investment. We trade Seymore now and what do we get for it? Nothing for two years? So we lose one of teh best guys we got and we get nothing in return? I just hate this deal. We all assume our offense will be able to out score people but other teams have tried this in the past and failed. I am hoping teh D will be better then it looks with guys liek Merriwhether steping up but it doesnt look good. And just so we are all clear IMO the 4-3 defense is a joke and it must be killing BB that he has to use that instead of the awesome power of the 3-4 defense. just IMO

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeonLike. Show LeonLike's posts

Anybody see fargo?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

This is a fairly easy no. 

I'd bank on the Steelers, Ravens, Tennessee (if they can withstand the loss of Haynesworth), and maybe (maybe) San Diego. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

How long will it take leon to get booted off again?

1 day?

Only an A-hole uses the same name over and over when they get booted

Hey leon, you played football righ?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Going-the-Distance. Show Going-the-Distance's posts

-mike, i hear what you're saying...but there's a difference between fielding a competitve team that will get into the playoffs and fielding a team that can go the distance...i just don't think this team is of the latter calibre...this team will win its' fair share of games, but not the Superbowl, which this organization sets its' collective sights on every year...so, in the end, what's the point? fair or not, the Patriot's seasons under BB will always be judged on whether they attain the ring (or not)...the caveat of being a successful organization that sets the bar (as it should) as high as it does...such is life

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?:
    [QUOTE]And just so we are all clear IMO the 4-3 defense is a joke and it must be killing BB that he has to use that instead of the awesome power of the 3-4 defense. just IMO

No, the 4-3 is not a joke. It is Belichick doing several things:

1. Taking advantage of his best defender - Mayo. When you best defender is a MLB, you allow him to operate in space. For a MLB, this in in a 4-3;
    2. Staying a step ahead of the pendulum. In the 1980's, teams (other than the Dolphins) were run heavy teams. BB felt that a big 3-4 D was the best way to handle this. As a result, more teams start using the 3-4. In the 1990's, the run-and-shoot style offense became all the rage. Teams would spread the field against the 3-4 ala NE against Pitt every year. Enter Dick leBeau and Dom Capers, who trend back to the 4-3 with quicker personnel, adding in the zone blitz. Good against the pass, not as good against power runner as the meatier 3-4. In the 2000's, we see the power running game come back for the most part. Ricky Williams (in his prime), LT, Bettis, Stephen Davis, Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson, Deuce McCallister, etc. So the 4-3 is not as good as the 3-4. That is the premier D for a few years, but the spread offense comes back. Look at Pitt for god sake. They are more a passing team now. So BB wants to shift, but doesn't have all the pieces. Now he has them in Mayo, Burgess, bigger corners etc.

if BB isn't sentimental about his players, you think he's going to shed a tear over converting to the 4-3?

Sections
Shortcuts