Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?

Since there are so many new players, both new to the NFL and new to the Patriots, this question cannot be answered at this point.  And even if they don't play particularly well in September, maybe they will in December and beyond. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Pats have a super bowl defense?:
    I'd bank on the Steelers, Ravens, Tennessee (if they can withstand the loss of Haynesworth), and maybe (maybe) San Diego. 
    Posted by underdogg

SD? Only when they play the Colts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

MVPkilla, the answer is no right now and the answer is yes in week 17.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

RFine - Only discussing defense which is why SD got the maybe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I just dont like the 4-3 defense so thats why i said that C I just would rather we run a 3-4 D but i get what you are saying. And the people who say leadership is overrated are not seeing the big picture. We have a very young defense right now, too young if you ask me and young guys need veterans on the team to show them how its down. We dont have that, Bruschi started the work with Mayo and I hope it was enough but our young CBs have Springs and Bodden neither of whom have played here before now. Its one thing to lose Bruschi a week or so before game one but losing Seymore right before kick off of the season? Thats a blow I dont care if you like the deal or not losing Seymore will effect this defense in a big way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

bb always says that the season REALLY begins after thanksgiving.  the season up to that point is all about positioning yourself in the standings.  when the weather gets cold, the 'D' starts gel and bring it on a more consistant basis. 

i'm expecting a lot of 38 - 28 type games early in the season.  but come november/december, they'll be 24- 14 type games.

it's mayo's defense now.  if he, and everyone, else remain relatively healthy, there is no reason to think that the pat's are still a super bowl favorite.  pitt, san diego, tennessee, baltimore will also be tough afc opponents.  and any team with peyton manning is still dangerous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am gald everyone else seems to be ok with putting all our eggs in that J Mayo basket but just saying "this is Mayo's defense" does not make it better nor does it put me at ease. He is a year two player! Mayo is not going to save this defense! I love the guy and hope he is the second coming of Ray lewis or whatever but he is still a young player and you all seem to think he will be a veteran right now. One year does not make you a true veteran it makes you a semi veteran. The kid has been through two training camps not 10.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaydubu99. Show jaydubu99's posts

The Pats best defense this year...will be to rely on their offense. They will probably be best served by having Brady not go for the "quick score" all of the time, rather use clock-killing drives to keep the defense off the field. Obviously, this is not going to work in all situations, but I think the "sky-is-falling" mentality is prevalent in these discussions. The Pats have loads of talent on their roster, and the defense will hopefully improve as the season progresses. I think this group will gel with time....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

The best player I thought that was on the field for the defense for the past couple years was Rodney Harrison. You knew he was going to pop who ever tried to come across the middle to make a catch. I just don't see anyone stepping up to give the team that kind of personality. Hard hitting, physical that kinda thing. 
    I hope Merriweather and Mayo can be those kind of players but Merriweather seems more like the Ed Reed type player so far to me, the guy who's always looking for the ball and tries to get a INT, that's good and all but Ed can't tackle that good lol. Mayo is a really solid all-around linebacker not much more you can ask from him. If Merriweather can show everyone that he can bring the hammer down and also gets picks this season I think we have a very good shot at the SB. Until then I'll close my eyes each time the other team lines up in the shotgun with 5 wideouts.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If Merriwhether gets 7 or more INTs this season no one will give a sh*t about how many guys he hit over the middle. Merriwhether with otu a doubt IMO will be our best player on Defense this season next to Mayo of course and lets just hope that its enought o bring teh D together as a unit and make it happen. Losing Seymore to me was a big mistake and we will be missing him come week 5

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-in-charger-country. Show pats-fan-in-charger-country's posts

I think the better question is do we have a SuperBowl Team. I believe we do. A world class offense can hide a lot of issues with defense.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I think Mayo is going to take the leadership ring right away. Our D line still has vets on it and they will be fine. The secondary is where i'm a little concerend and will have to see them in a complete game to gather better intel on how the season may go in the backfield.

Go Pats!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

The Pats best defense this year...will be to rely on their offense. They will probably be best served by having Brady not go for the "quick score" all of the time, rather use clock-killing drives to keep the defense off the field. Obviously, this is not going to work in all situations, but I think the "sky-is-falling" mentality is prevalent in these discussions. The Pats have loads of talent on their roster, and the defense will hopefully improve as the season progresses. I think this group will gel with time....
    Posted by jaydubu99

Wow this sounds like a post from a colts fan.  One note - while asking your HOF QB to manage the clock, there will be times when he has to take shots down the field just to keep the opposing D honest.  Sometimes those strike and the quick scores happen. 

If this is your theory the question is, do the pats have a sustainable running game?  If not, they will effectively throw the ball and likely score quicker than they would like. 

But as I have seen year after year, the most capable offense does not win the big game unless its defense is also capable. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

As a team last year we rushed for over 2000 yards so I would say we have a pretty good run game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

You'll want that.  Relying on your QB for everything, like the colts did last year makes for a quick exit from postseason play.
    Posted by underdogg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I just dont like the 4-3 defense so thats why i said that C I just would rather we run a 3-4 D but i get what you are saying. And the people who say leadership is overrated are not seeing the big picture. We have a very young defense right now, too young if you ask me and young guys need veterans on the team to show them how its down. We dont have that, Bruschi started the work with Mayo and I hope it was enough but our young CBs have Springs and Bodden neither of whom have played here before now. Its one thing to lose Bruschi a week or so before game one but losing Seymore right before kick off of the season? Thats a blow I dont care if you like the deal or not losing Seymore will effect this defense in a big way.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Actually, Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden are anything but young. Springs is 34 and Bodden is 28. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I was not saying that Springs and Bodden were young I was saying that the young players behind them on the depth charts only have Bodden and Springs as veterans to turn to when they need advice and neither of those players have played here before.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

It's too early to say anything mainly because injury can decimate any team.  That being said Bill spent 3 #1 overall picks on defensive lineman and one of them is gone, he wouldnt have made this move had he not gotten exactly what he was looking for when he took Ron Brace.  Brace can move over play the nose and Wilfork is athletic enough to play end without missing a beat.

We had an abundance of defensive line talent, it's our deepest position, Sey was the oldest player in a contract year and with the most value.  It was strictly business...

Our D will be diminished with the loss of our best D lineman, but we acquired two in linemen the draft and a #1 pick for the future.  It wasn't a position of weakness so it shouldn't affect our overal defense, if our D is not good it won't be because of the D Line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

with all the losses the pats took from an already suspect defense,has gotten much worse.will they come together at some point? remains to be seen.bodden is 28 look out!he is over the middle age mark??get real!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - How does it feel when everyone says Belichick is going to play a Dungy style defense?  Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Who says that? I have not heard one single person say anything what so ever about Dungy. How do you some how bring Dungy into every conversation? He is not even your coach anymore and when he was he wasnt very good so seriously why do you constantly bring the guy up? And again no one has said anything like that, I have been listening to sports talk radio alllllll day and not a single person fan or talking head has said anything like that. Dungy cant hold Belichicks clip board.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sorry Tas - I just thought it was funny.  Shifting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and playing zone in the backfield.  Right?  Sounds pretty similar to a tampa 2. 

Now I am no expert at this so I could be wrong, but many people here are talking about the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 and I thought I also read that the pats have always played zone in the backfield.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We dont do any one thing over and over thats a sucker way of playing D. We will play 3-4 and 4-3 zone and man coverage. The words Bill Belichick and Tampa Two dont belong in the same forum. No one has said anything about Dungy or teh Tampa Two this entire time except you.

Sections
Shortcuts