Do the pats make at least one big splash either by trade or in the free agency?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Do the pats make at least one big splash either by trade or in the free agency?

many players have tenders on them,and the few good players that are available will come down to money or a possible championship.the pats have pick 22 and three 2nd rd picks in this years draft followed by two first rd picks in 2011.which gives them the flexability to trade for a player if they choose to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Do the pats make at least one big splash either by trade or in the free agency?

The track record for this organization is ..  "you never know!"  When they went for Adalius, it surprised everyone.  Then we see opportunities and the Pats don't take a sniff.  They got Moss only because a team wanted to dump him.  It has been a rare event in which the Patriots sprung for a player in his prime on the FA market.  The recipe seems to be to get some veterans who are getting low in their tank, but enough to be effective with veteran leadership, sprinkle in some young players with a hunger to win, not just get paid, and we get lucky and the spark fires.  That is what we saw in the first half of the 2000's decade.  The last two years saw a lot of the "veteran" side fall short or simply leave.  Maybe 2010 will see the start of another run.  As I said at the top..  "you never know!".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

Re: Do the pats make at least one big splash either by trade or in the free agency?

Depends on the Wilfork situation, if Wilfork gets traded then I see no reason how the Pats have any excuse not to make some waves via trade or FA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Depends what you define as a "splash" but the Patriots are always good for at least one or two moves that nobody saw coming, whether it be acquisitions, or releasing or trading guys.  I'm pretty confident that something will happen this offseason that nobody is speculating about now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The best players available also seem to come with buyer beware written all over them. Peppers is going to want a healthy chunk of change,Brandon Marshall is going to cost you a first rounder, and it would appear you could get a Vincemnt Jackson if the judge doesn't change his mind and send him to jail for the state minimum 1 year in county jail,which as long as he's playing for the SD Chargers won't be handed out,4 days in Jail is all he got.. Average Joe for his second offense on DWI/DUI gets a 1-2 years in California Department of Corrections,but not if they have money they just buy their way out of jail. Got to love the 2 tier system,broke go to jail,got money stay home!!!But I digress you can get him from San Diego for a first and a third rounder...We'll see what other gems come free as friday gets closer to arriving. We will also see what tenders have been placed upon several Patriot RFA's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm not thinking a huge splash but a couple medium splashes are possible. I'm thinking signing Kevin Walter and trading for Olsen, possibly offering a RFA tender to an OL guy like Evan Mathis. Ad will be gone but what about trading Sanders for a low round pick. I can see tweaking the offense through FA and trades and drafting heavy on defense. The draft seems to be leaning towards defensive talent while the FA's this year seem pretty strong on O.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

all i know is the pats have many needs,and in most times dont like to spend much money.we need pass rushers,and a real good receiver,or two.yes there is the draft,but not often you get a player shineing out the gate.they still have to many un-proven players on the team that have only shown some flashes here and there,or players who missed out due to injuries.so they havent proven anything.not sure what will happen to bodden,add banta cain being gone,and welker missing half the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

We'll know more this weekend based on who is available.  I like Marshall but the CB not the head case WR. You could have him for a second round pick and he is a younger Bodden.  Other opportunities will be out there but who knows what the smart teams will do with labor unrest ... it could mean this is the most borring slow off season ever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First, if no one else (Dan Snyder of the Redskins) bids up Leon Washington, BB will.  Always nice to steal the division opponents' high-acceleration players.  It worked pretty well with Wes Welker.

Another potential victim team is the Raiders.  If anyone (such as BB) should steal valuable pieces of the Raiders' defense such as two of their RFA low-tender and medium-tender linebackers, why, the Raiders might put their rookie third rounder in at linebacker, then go 0-16, which would give BB the #1 pick in the whole NFL draft, which he would then gladly trade down, and down, and down for about 4 late first rounders total.  No word on whether the actual linebackers are any good at all.  Anyways, BB is too ethical to do all that just for a profit, right?  Uh, right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im hearing how many teams will be on the phones come mid-night.i hope the pats have at least one good player on there radar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

alright a trade has already gone down.many rumors,and teams jockeying in there spots.do the pats come out swinging,or will it be days before something happens?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First the Patriots wait.  And they keep on waiting.  Dan Snyder of the Redskins splurges on somebody or other, and 2/3 of the teams don't sign anybody, because the owner wants to save $40 million dollars a year on payroll.  Teams like Buffalo become proletarian teams, teams on the cheap, easy wins. 

Then players look at the prospect of not playing at all, and they come to the table.  Then the Pats open their checkbook again and again, and sign an amazing team.

That's why Chris Baker was dumped.  There's much better players, cheaper, on the market now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I said I'd know more this weekend but I think I now know... the Patriots won't go make a deal for just any big name but I expect a reload quick philosophy after all the moves they have made. This is an uncapped year so as I said elsewhere what better time but right now to blow up the offense and defense and just rebuild around a few pieces.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

i hope so.they dont have to be super names,but names with talent.and there is a lot of talent out there.they just were with bad teams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

as exspected.the pats are doing nothing.maybe they will host a no name player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Personally I don't want the Patriots to just go out and sign a player be it Peppers or whoever just to sign a big name I'd rather they take a few second level guys who will fit the scheme. Having said that I have my want list being get the Wilfork deal done so the team can focus elsewhere and get Bodden signed up or go after one of the two or three other top CB's available out there. I like Bodden but maybe there is a younger version that they want more? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

I told all u guys were not getting anybody, so stop wishing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

we know wilfork and the others who are tendered will be here for a year.it will take a while for all of there contracts to be resolved,if some of them even get a contract.why wait for all the big names to come off the board when you can go after the players that can help now.even if they are not a big name.by waiting it just gives other teams to bid on the ones that are left that the pats could be interested in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I guess it is a personal issue for everyone to figure out but for me I am not for the "sexy" pick I am for the pick that gets a team a solid player with out breaking the bank which allows you to go out and get another solid player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

The Pats are gonna concentrate on their own FA's and if they whiff on Faulk, Bodden, etc. they're gonna wait until the dust settles and go after a lot of middle tier FA's and look to fill their roster holes that way.  I cannot see them doing anything huge, they will look to add roster depth and to get Wilfork back here ASAP so they can concentrate on extending Brady. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im not saying it has to be a peppers or a dansby.im saying why wait for them to come off the board before you go after someone?why not bring in now a randal-el,or LAV-coles,or a Lito sheppard.why not do this now while the other teams are focused on the bigger names?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I think it is clear that the Pats will not be active in this FA. And to be honest, besides Peppers and Dansby this FA really dont have alot of quality. Personally I think Bodden is the best CB out there, so I hope the resign him. And Faulk is needed, so hopefully we will have him also.

One of the few underrated FA I find interesting is Kirk Morrisson. According to several media his been overlooked the past seasons and he has played at a Pro Bowl level. To bring him in with Mayo and McKenzie would be great.

For OLB I think Derrick Burgess is the best guy they can have (besides Peppers) right now, so lets bring him back. Banta-Cain dont have the stability, so I guess Pats will draft an OLB next to D. Burgess.

If at all we should go for a WR, I think Boldin or Walter are the only interesting subjects. But Im not ecstatic.

An finally I think Olsen could be signed. Just read Bears signed a TE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

im not sold on olsen the bears want a 2nd rd pick for him.to much.i would rather the pats give up a 2nd for anquan boldin.its not like the pats really use te,s that much in the passing game.this is why there stats dont look that great.they are used more in the blocking dept,and banta cain had like 10 sacks.i would like bodden,and banta cain back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'm guessing no????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Do the pats make at least one big splash either by trade or in the free agency?:
    four teams reported interested in bodden.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Resigning Bodden is a must. No he is not Revis, but he is as good as Asante was for NE. That in itself is worth something. Forget about getting some bloody continuity for once. 

I hope Peppers considers NE, because he would be a game changer in the East. 

Sections
Shortcuts