Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?

First off, I'm one of those fans that says Pats should beat anyone at any time - doesn't matter who if they are really Champions.

With that said, the way the playoffs have gone the last couple years, I don't think I want the Pats to get the #1 seed.

Here is why:  Either Balt or Pitt will end up a WC and most likely will win on the road against whomever they play.  Then they will go up against the #1 seed and who knows what will happen.

I would like to see the Pats grab the #2 seed and end up playing the other division winner (Denver or Houston?)  I know Houston sits atop the AFC but I think they will lose one down the stretch (just my opinion).

Honestly, I would rather the Pats play a soft team first in the play offs, and get that 1st play off win since 2007 under their belt.  Once they taste that blood (again) who knows what can happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?

Bob Kraft does, I'm sure.  It's more potential sales in playoff tickets. Lots of revenue at stake. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

#1 seed will play the jets/cincy/denver. the #2 seed will play balt/pitt. I'll take the #1 seed thank you very much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

How do you figure?

If Pats are #1
    Balt is #2
    Hou #3
    Denver #4
    Pitt #5
    NYJ or Cincy #6

Then I bet Houston would win and Pitt would win.

That means Hous would play Balt and Pitt would come to NE.  Granted Pitt is a #5 and Houston is a #4 but I think we can all agree Pitt is the better team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I'd rather have #1, even if it means playing Pitt. after the bye.  First, they know Pitt. personnel pretty well.  Second, #1 seed also guarantees AFCC at home if they win their first game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

uh... just that the #1 seed hasn't worked out so well as of lately.

I would like to see them get the #2 seed, then have one of the Wild Cards (Balt or Pitt) knock out the #1, so the Pats would still have home field advantage.

I know we can dream up any scenario - but I just want to see this team get an easy playoff win against a team like Cincy, or Denver, NYJ, or even Houston... before they have to take on a heavy hitter like Pitt or Balt. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

If the Pats win out -- and Baltimore and Houston win out, as well -- they will be the #2 seed with a first-round bye.

(And, to be honest, after that almost-disaster yesterday, I am not overly optimistic they will win out)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Of course we want #1 seed! If all the high seeds win do you want to go on the road for the AFC CHampionship? Heck no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

If Baltimore, Houston, and New England all finish 13-3, which tiebreaker(s) decide the seeding?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I don't think they will get the no. 1 seed.  

I'm not a Debbie Downer, but I just don't see this team winning at Denver.  The D is on the field too long and will get winded by half-time in that thin air.  That will allow Denver to run all over them, sprinkling in the occassional bomb pass to pick up big yards. If there is one game they lose in this stretch of "weak" teams, this is the one. 

But with Mayo, McCourty (who was brutal in the first half, then seemed to get better in the second half) and Ihedegbo all injured yesterday, it is possible they even lose two games and have to play a WC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTPatsFan17. Show CTPatsFan17's posts

"But with Mayo, McCourty (who was brutal in the first half, then seemed to get better in the second half) and Ihedegbo all injured yesterday, it is possible they even lose two games and have to play a WC."

they will not lose two games. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That team I watched yesterday isn't beating anyone in the playoffs, no matter what seed they get or who the opponent is (or where they play).

I seriously doubt that Bitchburgh is at all worried about potentially having to come to Foxboro and face that rice-paper defense in front of the most polite fans in the league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

From the standpoint of injuries we could probably use the bye associated with the #1 or 2 but other than that I don't think it matters a whole lot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?:
    [QUOTE]First off, I'm one of those fans that says Pats should beat anyone at any time - doesn't matter who if they are really Champions. With that said, the way the playoffs have gone the last couple years, I don't think I want the Pats to get the #1 seed. Here is why:  Either Balt or Pitt will end up a WC and most likely will win on the road against whomever they play.  Then they will go up against the #1 seed and who knows what will happen. I would like to see the Pats grab the #2 seed and end up playing the other division winner (Denver or Houston?)  I know Houston sits atop the AFC but I think they will lose one down the stretch (just my opinion). Honestly, I would rather the Pats play a soft team first in the play offs, and get that 1st play off win since 2007 under their belt.  Once they taste that blood (again) who knows what can happen.
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

the #1 seed would mean possibly facing the Jets again, which without Leonhard and with our two TEs would be a favorable matchup, especially since Sanchez is one of few QBs who might not be able to capitalize on how bad the Patriots' defense is

So yes to the 1-seed

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

Pittsburgh almost losing to Cleveland wasn't too scary looking. I'd love to welcome Shlttsburgh to Foxborough after getting beaten up in Baltimore and barely coming away with a win but all beaten up. We'll win out and beat Houston, no doubt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Baltimore is the only team of those mentioned that really scares me matchup wise. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Good point and the worst case scenerio is we finish with the 3rd seed and have to face the Jets then Pittsburgh and finally Bitchmore-ouch.In Response to Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?:
    [QUOTE]First off, I'm one of those fans that says Pats should beat anyone at any time - doesn't matter who if they are really Champions. With that said, the way the playoffs have gone the last couple years, I don't think I want the Pats to get the #1 seed. Here is why:  Either Balt or Pitt will end up a WC and most likely will win on the road against whomever they play.  Then they will go up against the #1 seed and who knows what will happen. I would like to see the Pats grab the #2 seed and end up playing the other division winner (Denver or Houston?)  I know Houston sits atop the AFC but I think they will lose one down the stretch (just my opinion). Honestly, I would rather the Pats play a soft team first in the play offs, and get that 1st play off win since 2007 under their belt.  Once they taste that blood (again) who knows what can happen.
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Nuts !

In Response to Re: Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?:

[QUOTE]I don't think they will get the no. 1 seed.   I'm not a Debbie Downer, but I just don't see this team winning at Denver.  The D is on the field too long and will get winded by half-time in that thin air.  That will allow Denver to run all over them, sprinkling in the occassional bomb pass to pick up big yards. If there is one game they lose in this stretch of "weak" teams, this is the one.  But with Mayo, McCourty (who was brutal in the first half, then seemed to get better in the second half) and Ihedegbo all injured yesterday, it is possible they even lose two games and have to play a WC.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The number 1 seed is always important. For the team, playing at home is a huge help. But to be honest as a fan, I would be miserable for weeks if the Pats were to be one and done like last year as the number 1 seed. I know the defense stinks right now and how could I possibly be surprised with a playoff loss but I know myself. If the Pats are the #1 seed I will forget the defensive woes and get overconfident like last year and be crushed if they lose. Unlike most pat fans I actually was on these boards after the Jets loss. Their were about 2000 jets fans, 1000 colts fans and about 10 Pat fans here after the game. It was painful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Don't care as long as it's the 1 or 2 seed. Only 5 wild card teams have ever won the SB because it's obviously easier to win 3 games in a row vs 4 + road games etc..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

IraqSteve,

First of all, thank you for your service. Secondly, did you fall on your head? Why don't you run this question by the Patriots lockeroom. Seriously, that's absurd! Every year is different. That's for supersticious minds only. They, and I, want them at home throughout and see some high scoring offense and perhaps a better defense. Let's whip some azz and shut up the naysayers!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

This is a silly post. While I 100% understand that the Pats have struggled in the playoffs with a target on their backs (and hope it changes), I don't think that target goes away if we aren't #1. As long as we have BB and 12 we will have a target on our back. #1 seed and homefeild throughout can only help.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Joel63 and "oh-my-beard"

Jeol63 - thank you and its my pleasure! I'm actually in Afghan now but couldn't change my name from IraqSteve to AfghanSteve... lol

Guys,

My point of this thread is that there are 2 elite teams in the AFC in the same division.  MEANING one of them will be a wild card - who will most likely win their wild card weekend game and go on to play the #1 seed.

So when you look at the playoff standings and how they are "supposed" to play out, the #1 seed plays the so-called "worst" team but in this case the so-called worst team will be the Steelers or the Ravens and I think we can all agree they far better teams than Denver, Houston, Jets, Titans, Bengals - whoever gets in.

So when you look at the best teams out there - the rank will not apply.  In reality the #2 seed would most likely end up playing the weaker of the two teams left after Wildcard weekend.

Here is a likely scenario:

Wild Card Weekend:
    #3 Houston hosts #6 NYJ (or Cincy, Tenn, whoever)
    #4 Denver hosts #5 Pittsburgh

I would think #3 Houston and #5 Pittsburgh win

Now you would have
    #1 New England hosting #5 Pittsburgh
    #2 Baltimore hosting #3 Houston

As a fan, I would rather see New England playing the inexperienced Texans than the Steelers. I would rather see Ravens and Steelers slug it out and beat on each other.  Also, there is a good chance Pitt wins and that would still give NE home field.

I know there are a million scenarios here guys, but you see what I'm getting at? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]That team I watched yesterday isn't beating anyone in the playoffs, no matter what seed they get or who the opponent is (or where they play). I seriously doubt that Bitchburgh is at all worried about potentially having to come to Foxboro and face that rice-paper defense in front of the most polite fans in the league.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

i agree pitt and baltimore is better than ne at this point, and would be favored, however that does not mean we have no chance. in a game anything could happen. my brain was working % the other day while i was doing something else.

(never inished the thinking but throw something out now)

if the gane was today,
    chance we beat stealers, maybe around %40
                           ravens                         28%
                           packers                        8-12 %

compound these for % chance we win the superbowl, not impossible but very, very low (im not a statestician and i always hated math (move the decimla over 2 and multilply yada, yada. very, very small chance, but a chance nonetheless.
    would have been a lot better taking some defesive studs last year instead of trading out and acculmulating backs that cant get on the field.

of course this changes based on many things (injuries, gelling, declining)  every day and this is only a mind exercise and trying to be honest (attempting to be objective).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE] The number 1 seed is always important. For the team, playing at home is a huge help. But to be honest as a fan, I would be miserable for weeks if the Pats were to be one and done like last year as the number 1 seed. I know the defense stinks right now and how could I possibly be surprised with a playoff loss but I know myself. If the Pats are the #1 seed I will forget the defensive woes and get overconfident like last year and be crushed if they lose. Unlike most pat fans I actually was on these boards after the Jets loss. Their were about 2000 jets fans, 1000 colts fans and about 10 Pat fans here after the game. It was painful.
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

cc,
     i love it!

"I know the defense stinks right now and how could I possibly be surprised with a playoff loss but I know myself. If the Pats are the #1 seed I will forget the defensive woes and get overconfident like last year and be crushed if they lose"

i know myself.

i feel for you.

sucks.

think were a little prepared given what did and didnt do in the draft on defense.

still , of course it wiill hurt.
    just know no matter the seed, uphill odds making it all the way. and if we dont make it all the way, higher pick will help next year.

Sections
Shortcuts