Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?

The important point is to have the confidence to take on all comers. Even if we have to go on the road for every game. Be willing and open to face everything. That's the only thing that matters. 

The chips will fall where they will.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

For the Pats to get the #1 seed both Balt and Pitt would have to lose, Pats are likely going to get the 2 seed at best, could be the 3 seed if they lose and Houston wins out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I had heard that the Pats are the no.1 seed now.  I don't know if that is correct, but I have heard it several times.  Of  course, if the Ravens lose a game and the Steelers stay even, then the Steelers would be ahead of the Pats in seeding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Pats really want the #1 seed?:
    [QUOTE]Joel63 and "oh-my-beard" Jeol63 - thank you and its my pleasure! I'm actually in Afghan now but couldn't change my name from IraqSteve to AfghanSteve... lol Guys, My point of this thread is that there are 2 elite teams in the AFC in the same division.  MEANING one of them will be a wild card - who will most likely win their wild card weekend game and go on to play the #1 seed. So when you look at the playoff standings and how they are "supposed" to play out, the #1 seed plays the so-called "worst" team but in this case the so-called worst team will be the Steelers or the Ravens and I think we can all agree they far better teams than Denver, Houston, Jets, Titans, Bengals - whoever gets in. So when you look at the best teams out there - the rank will not apply.  In reality the #2 seed would most likely end up playing the weaker of the two teams left after Wildcard weekend. Here is a likely scenario: Wild Card Weekend: #3 Houston hosts #6 NYJ (or Cincy, Tenn, whoever) #4 Denver hosts #5 Pittsburgh I would think #3 Houston and #5 Pittsburgh win Now you would have #1 New England hosting #5 Pittsburgh #2 Baltimore hosting #3 Houston As a fan, I would rather see New England playing the inexperienced Texans than the Steelers. I would rather see Ravens and Steelers slug it out and beat on each other.  Also, there is a good chance Pitt wins and that would still give NE home field. I know there are a million scenarios here guys, but you see what I'm getting at? 
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]

I think it makes a difference to be No.1. I think you're going to have to beat BOTH PIL and BAL to get to the show, and I think their chances are better at home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Regardless of seed, if the Pat's stink it up like the last 2 playoff games, then BB BETTER be held ACCOUNTABLE. He is NO defensive genius ! Rex Ryan has put together WAY better defenses. His 1st 2 seasons w/Jet's he had EXCELLENT defenses while the Pats have FLOUNDERED at or near LAST PLACE for the last 5 YEARS.

Kraft BETTER make some SERIOUS changes IF we get hammered in our 1st playoff game. GET A GM, GET A REAL "O" & "D" COORDINATOR and RIGHT THIS SHIP. IF BB threatens to walk.... LET HIM.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT the last 6 or 7 SB's have been won by teams NOT COACHED BY BB & over the last 2 seasons, about TWENTY other teams have advanced FARTHER in the the playoffs without BB coaching them or TB throwing the ball

Putting EDLEMAN & SLATER in the secondary? Getting rid of SANDERS when there was NOBODY even CLOSE to being better than him was IDIOTIC. If we waived EVERYONE who plays DB/Safety, would ANY ONE OF THEM GET PICKED UP ????

I DOUBT IT

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]Joel63 and "oh-my-beard" Jeol63 - thank you and its my pleasure! I'm actually in Afghan now but couldn't change my name from IraqSteve to AfghanSteve... lol Guys, My point of this thread is that there are 2 elite teams in the AFC in the same division.  MEANING one of them will be a wild card - who will most likely win their wild card weekend game and go on to play the #1 seed. So when you look at the playoff standings and how they are "supposed" to play out, the #1 seed plays the so-called "worst" team but in this case the so-called worst team will be the Steelers or the Ravens and I think we can all agree they far better teams than Denver, Houston, Jets, Titans, Bengals - whoever gets in. So when you look at the best teams out there - the rank will not apply.  In reality the #2 seed would most likely end up playing the weaker of the two teams left after Wildcard weekend. Here is a likely scenario: Wild Card Weekend: #3 Houston hosts #6 NYJ (or Cincy, Tenn, whoever) #4 Denver hosts #5 Pittsburgh I would think #3 Houston and #5 Pittsburgh win Now you would have #1 New England hosting #5 Pittsburgh #2 Baltimore hosting #3 Houston As a fan, I would rather see New England playing the inexperienced Texans than the Steelers. I would rather see Ravens and Steelers slug it out and beat on each other.  Also, there is a good chance Pitt wins and that would still give NE home field. I know there are a million scenarios here guys, but you see what I'm getting at? 
    Posted by IraqSteve[/QUOTE]
    I gotcha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

[QUOTE]Regardless of seed, if the Pat's stink it up like the last 2 playoff games, then BB BETTER be held ACCOUNTABLE. He is NO defensive genius ! Rex Ryan has put together WAY better defenses. His 1st 2 seasons w/Jet's he had EXCELLENT defenses while the Pats have FLOUNDERED at or near LAST PLACE for the last 5 YEARS. Kraft BETTER make some SERIOUS changes IF we get hammered in our 1st playoff game. GET A GM, GET A REAL "O" & "D" COORDINATOR and RIGHT THIS SHIP. IF BB threatens to walk.... LET HIM. BELIEVE IT OR NOT the last 6 or 7 SB's have been won by teams NOT COACHED BY BB & over the last 2 seasons, about TWENTY other teams have advanced FARTHER in the the playoffs without BB coaching them or TB throwing the ball Putting EDLEMAN & SLATER in the secondary? Getting rid of SANDERS when there was NOBODY even CLOSE to being better than him was IDIOTIC. If we waived EVERYONE who plays DB/Safety, would ANY ONE OF THEM GET PICKED UP ???? I DOUBT IT
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]
    Take a deep breath... It is going to be okay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

No, see, if the pats want to get to the Super Bowl, they will have to play the elite teams regardless.

I would much rather they play at home as the number 1 seed then away and on the oppositions field.

#1 seed is essential.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

#1 seed means playing in the Razor for both games, who doesn't want that?  Regardless, BB has to have the confidence the players he has can win it.  Granted, he may not have the players he wishes he had, but, nonetheless, he coaches them up and if they perform as he thinks they can, we can have a SB winner again.  Until you lose, you can always think you can win!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pats are the number three seed right now. They have a weaker SOV (stength of victory) than Baltimore, and a worse conference record than Houston. 

Though, if they win out Houston wins out, and Baltimore wins out, NE will inherit the second seed from Houston on SOV. 

So win out for a bye week. Hope for a Baltimore and Pittsburgh loss for the #1 seed (both teams will own tiebreakers unless they lose and NE wins out).

The number crunchers at playoffstatus.com have NE as the most likely 3rd seed, something like a 50% chance. I think that is odd, because it is basically them saying that they believe NE will lose a game. 

I don't think NE loses another game. Not to Denver, nor to Miami, nor to Buffalo. One real tough road test agains a D that can give anyone fits, in a place that is likely the NFL's toughest gig, then two home games against divisional opponents they know to take seriously. 

NE finishes 13-3. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Oh, if your swap it around, the Texans taking seed #3 and NE getting #2, with Baltimore getting the #1. 

Then NE would host the winner of Houston vs Jets/Cincy. 

I would think that would mean playing Houston at home. 

But then NE would have to travel to Baltimore if they win. 

The HUGE wierd part, is that it seems that the chances of Pitt upsetting the Ravens in Baltimore are actually pretty good all things considered. If that happened, NE could end up hosting the AFC championship. 

NE versus Houston at home and Pitt at home, seems about the best possible arrangement for getting NE back (I like how they match up with Pitt more than the Ravens).

So a #2 overall seed DOES have some merits over #1 ... though some might just take the guarantee of not having to go to Baltimore and run with it over the chance of hosting Pitt. 

Good thread!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]If Baltimore, Houston, and New England all finish 13-3, which tiebreaker(s) decide the seeding?
    Posted by jimijazz[/QUOTE]

It is whatever Gronk wants.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

We don't want to be playing the game of what seed we want
    (That is what team like Indy do)

We play all comers and we fear no one! "I want Holyfield!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]If Baltimore, Houston, and New England all finish 13-3, which tiebreaker(s) decide the seeding?
    Posted by jimijazz[/QUOTE]

First, head to head if applicable, though it won't be here. 

Then conference record.
    Then shared oppoenents if you have at least four shared opponents. 
    Then strength of victory (winning percentage of the teams each team has beaten).
    Then strength of schedule, but in practice it never comes to that. The chances that two teams will finish tied for the total win loss of their vanquished opponents is very, very low. 

If my math is right if all teams win out all three will have the same conference record, meaning a wash there with all three at 12-2 in the conference. 

NE loses the shared opponent W-L tiebreaker to Baltimore, but ties it with Houston, Houston having taken a loss against the Raiders but also having had a victory against the Steelers. 

So it would come down to SOV. NE is at .415 with Denver, Miami and Buffalo on the schedule. Houston has Carolina, Tenn and Indy remaining and a .400 SOV.

Houston's SOV can only get worse right now, and NE's might even get a hair better. NE's final three have a record of 17-22 (.435) right now, while Houston's have a record of 11-28 (.282). Nothing that will happen in the final three weeks, outside of total shifts in fortune for three or four teams, would really skew that number enough to give Houston the tiebreaker.

So there you have it. 

NE wins out, they play at least one game at home. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I agree with your first statement, so I do not agree with your second.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

either way they have to beat these teams to make it to the superbowl. the team that played yesterday wont win any playoff games and wont win out this season either.