Do we Really need Seau?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Do we Really need Seau?

I think it's fair to bring up this point, with so many issues for the Pats on the offensive side of the ball, is it really necessary to bring in Seau.   The defense has held up pretty well, allowing less than 20 pts in every game(don't count the 3pts in O.T.).   But it seems to me that the Pats should first focus on a #3 WR, then an extra RB as it doesn't look like Taylor will be contributing anything for the rest of his career.  I just don't see how adding Seau at this point makes the Pats a championship contender.  And at 40 years old, how much does he really bring to the table.  I mean come on, this guy will probably end up on IR by Dec.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddawg. Show baddawg's posts

Re: Do we Really need Seau?

No! You need Peyton Manning and Bill Cowher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Need?  No.  He does bring tremendous leadership, and he provides some depth at MLB.  He may go on IR by December, but that gives some time to Mayo and Guyton - maybe 15/16 plays per game.  The guy will get to every play, just a matter of if he can finish.  That was to be the Bruschi role this season, so in my opinion it can only help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I think you're looking at it like a total gamechanger and it's not.  Yes, they do need him, perhaps not immediately.  They really only have three decent linebackers (Woods and Ninkovich really don't factor in at all) and Seau playing in the middle will allow Adalius Thomas to provide a boost with the pass rush - which they DO need badly.

I think Galloway will be cut in favor of Seau which will be a difficult pill to swallow for everyone.  The option at WR in my view is either Brandon Tate, if he comes off the PUP, or Terrence Nunn.  I'm not exactly sure why Nunn isn't out there now.  Aiken is obviously not meant to be out wide and Edelman is really useless if Welker is on the field at the same time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3839316. Show user_3839316's posts

YES ,BECAUSE WE CAN MOVE THOMAS AND MAYO TO THE OUTSIDE AND GET A  PASS RUSH .IF THAT DOESN'T WORK ITS OVER KIDS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msniii. Show msniii's posts

In Response to Do we Really need Seau?:
    I think it's fair to bring up this point, with so many issues for the Pats on the offensive side of the ball, is it really necessary to bring in Seau.   The defense has held up pretty well, allowing less than 20 pts in every game(don't count the 3pts in O.T.).   But it seems to me that the Pats should first focus on a #3 WR, then an extra RB as it doesn't look like Taylor will be contributing anything for the rest of his career.  I just don't see how adding Seau at this point makes the Pats a championship contender.  And at 40 years old, how much does he really bring to the table.  I mean come on, this guy will probably end up on IR by Dec. Thoughts?
    Posted by Grogan77
    he brings leadership and a fire that a lot of these young guys lack. yes he may get injured and go on IR, but that can be said about anybody. yes the defense has only given up 20 pts per game, but unless i was watching the wrong game yesterday, i saw that same defense give up 2 scoring drives over 90 yards, and not to mention denver marching down the field in ot without brady and company making it on the field. yes the offense needs improvement, but brady is not himself, and the offense is not playing well with out josh mcd. all the added offensive players won't help if you can't hit the open receiver and run the ball efficiently. so unless drew brees and adrian peterson are available, i can't see how seau will hurt this team

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Only if you want opposing OC's to be licking their chops at another old, slow Pats defender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

he will be a situational guy but his value IS in his leadership and knowledge of bb defense. He is a coach on the field and will definitely help the younger guys to develop. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Do we Really need Seau?:
    he will be a situational guy but his value IS in his leadership and knowledge of bb defense. He is a coach on the field and will definitely help the younger guys to develop. 
    Posted by steve1581

A.D. is just fine for that role, but so far Mayo and Guyton don't need any leadership from Seau, they're doing just fine on their own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I think you're looking at it like a total gamechanger and it's not.  Yes, they do need him, perhaps not immediately.  They really only have three decent linebackers (Woods and Ninkovich really don't factor in at all) and Seau playing in the middle will allow Adalius Thomas to provide a boost with the pass rush - which they DO need badly. I think Galloway will be cut in favor of Seau which will be a difficult pill to swallow for everyone.  The option at WR in my view is either Brandon Tate, if he comes off the PUP, or Terrence Nunn.  I'm not exactly sure why Nunn isn't out there now.  Aiken is obviously not meant to be out wide and Edelman is really useless if Welker is on the field at the same time.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Well Seau better be a gamechanger if the Pats are going to use up a roster space for him.  I just don't think the problem is on the D, the problems are certainly on the offensive side of the ball.  I want too see the Pats get players for a superbowl run, and I just don't see Seau as the answer.  RB and WR, that's what the Pats should be looking at.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

More LB's = more formations
    More LB's = more versatility
    More LB's = more depth

So yes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

This Seau talk is absurd. I want Thomas to start earning his dosh and kill some people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

Think Bryan Cox for the 01 team. He was a vocal leader in the locker room, a major leader on that defense, and part of a few defensive groupings. I'm thinking Jr.'s role will be along those lines. Glad to have him back!

Any word on whether or not Burgess is going to give him 55?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gatech34. Show gatech34's posts

I dont think AD is a leadership guy. Why do you think Mayo is the Captain. Seau will be a good addition to defense to help the younger guys. I dont think he will be an every down player. But, they need a Power RB and Tom Brady to come back to form ASAP. I wont miss galloway though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

It's definitely a good move. It seems like the team hasn't had any fire or spark to it at all this season. Seau would definitely help bring that, and get all the players on the team pumped to play. I remember watching the team last year and after he returned they seemed to want to play harder and faster. We need a player that gets excited and shows it.

Seau's leadership skills are amazing.

Also, Mayo is still only a second year player. There is still a lot he needs to learn and having Seau there can't hurt his progression. Seau knows the playbook as well.

There is nothing here that can hurt the Pats. I don't think we'll see him playing a whole lot, but having him around is a huge boost.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

Seau is going to play ILB and move AD outside. AD is old and is not as fast and he big and can rush the passer. Why put them behind the los to cover.

Guyton has struggled at times and mayo when in plays every snap as did Guyton.How about giving them a breather so they can last the season.

season start we expected bru and rookie 2 ILB in the roster. one retired and other in IR.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

No but I will take a J Seau any day of the week for depth.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

This is a good pick for many reasons.  JR has heart.  He will create excitement.  He will be another set of eyes on the field.  He will make Mayo better by example.  He will teach them how to tackle,  He give them an inside pass rush.
    he wants to win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Great leader and brings exitement to the team and locker room. I don't mind him for that reason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

NickC is right. It gives the Pats more depth, versatility, formations and, I might add, leadership. This is a good move, unless you think Pierre Woods is better than Junior Seau.......in which case you are wrong....overwhelmingly wrong...I'd say getting a #3 receiver would be at least as important, but I honestly don't know who is available. If Brady continues to overthrow Moss and underthrow Welker it will be a moot point anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

More LB's = more formations More LB's = more versatility More LB's = more depth So yes.
    Posted by NickC1188

You pretty much nailed it.  He's not going to turn this defense into the Bears in '85 but he is going to enable them to run more formation.  I can't stand hearing about all the dime packages they've been running.  They need to get more creative on early downs and stop simply rushing four guys.  The points scored against have been reasonable good but they're bending just a little bit too much if you ask me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Someone said move Mayo to the outside? Why would you move a guy who was the defensive rookie of the year at ILB and played that for most of college to outside? Your OLB's tend to bigger in the 3-4 ala Adalius and Vrabel.  Mayo is the prototype at ILB. 
    Mayo still isnt as quick to the ball, you could see that last week, but he will get better each week.  Seau provides leadership, and a situational guy.  He doesnt have the same quickness for coverage as he used to, but he is still good against the run.  he can give both ILB's breathers, thus having a fresher LB core come playoff time.
    Plus, Guyton and Mayo can still elarn a great deal from this guy...its a win win....he wont cost much, he will be ready to play right around the halfway mark, making him last the whole season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

If all that we are hoping to get from Seau is general leadership, why not bring him in as a defensive coach of some sort.. Seau is old, sure he's well preserved for his age, but that doesn't count when you are getting beat by the young WRs/RBs..

I agree with the opinon that our #1 need is a #3 WR and #2 need is a RB.. and #3 need is a better play caller.. These are really very close to each other in priority.. we really need all three to be a contender.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

he'll cost us a roster spot.. a spot that could be used to add a WR / RB to the team.. or to use young legs (Bruce Davis) in situational pass rush..

Someone said move Mayo to the outside? Why would you move a guy who was the defensive rookie of the year at ILB and played that for most of college to outside? Your OLB's tend to bigger in the 3-4 ala Adalius and Vrabel.  Mayo is the prototype at ILB.  Mayo still isnt as quick to the ball, you could see that last week, but he will get better each week.  Seau provides leadership, and a situational guy.  He doesnt have the same quickness for coverage as he used to, but he is still good against the run.  he can give both ILB's breathers, thus having a fresher LB core come playoff time. Plus, Guyton and Mayo can still elarn a great deal from this guy...its a win win....he wont cost much, he will be ready to play right around the halfway mark, making him last the whole season.
    Posted by slicksteve38

Sections
Shortcuts