DO WE TRADE 2ND RND PICKS TO MOVE UP

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

DO WE TRADE 2ND RND PICKS TO MOVE UP

We will have a first and 3 2nd picks. Why not trade two 2nd picks for a first and get a player we need!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: DO WE TRADE 2ND RND PICKS TO MOVE UP

Well... on defense, the Pats only really need a pass-rusher; they had one this year, but he found a way to land himself on the IR list for a consecutive year. This year's draft is filled with pass-rushers, the Pats won't need to trade up to get one. They can get a fairly good one with the 32nd pick in the draft. You might also say the Pats need a CB, but they have Springs locked up for two more years and Butler has so much upside that I don't really think they need to draft another CB with a high pick.

On offense, all the Pats really need is a 3rd WR. They can either get one through Free Agency-- T.O., Chris Chambers, Malcolm Floyd, Derrick Mason-- or, if they are able to get Charlie Wies back they can just draft Golden Tate with one of the second round picks. 

I don't know why people think this NE team is so horrible, they've only played bad football in two of their five losses-- NO & MIA-- and both were within a week of each other. They don't need a Suh-like player to be contenders again next year, just a minor piece.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

If the Pats move up you will probably see them just going up a slot or two in which case they would just use one of their 2nd day picks. If history is any judge it's much more likely that the Pats trade down or out. They seem to like to improve their position in the following years draft as well. You never know whether they like a draft or sometimes they might not many guys in the first day and will stack for day 2. One thing is for certain, The Pats are always completely unpredictable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

I would actually like to see a solid round 1 pick ala Mayo, than 3 2nds who are a crap shot at best ala Jackson, Brace etc.  We could have easily picked Mathews or moved up slightly and picked Cushing, but Bill just doesn't do that.  That was hard to argue with 6 years ago when we were winning super bowls, but I think the comment is more legitamate as we decline year over year.  Thank god for Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Anything is possible but the trend has been to trade down.  So if I were a betting man I would say BB continues to trade down and not up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

If there is going to be a rookie cap in 2011(which looks likely), any and every half decent underclassman that can declare will declare.  This will be a great year to NOT move up and stand pat.  We DON'T need to get extra picks for 2011 because we already have an extra 1st rd from the Raiders and there will be a smaller talent pool due to the underclassmen declaring for this year in greater abundance. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

As much as I want to criticize the past 3-4 drafts (April 2009, in all fairness, remains incomplete).....I would say no.  A team is as likely to sKrew the pooch ont a 1st rounder these days as a second. 

06, 07 and 08 were not the best drafts for this team, that said, 09 has brought in some decent talent that looks like it will develop.  Chung, Butler, Vollmer and Brace....so far only Brace is disappointing and I'm woried that he simple is not strong enough at the point of attack. 

I would like to see them "expand" their horizons a bit on talent.  what I mean is that, to me anyway, is that they completely underestimated the imapct of the USC LB's from last year.  Cushing, Mathews and to a lesser extent Malalugua (sp) have performed very well.  Cushing, I read struggles a bit in coverage, but otherwise they are all doing well.  Perhaps they perceived them to be more like that guy Carpenter from Ohio State who hasn't lived up to expectations with Dallas.

Also, I'd like for them to stop trading down. Ok to do this in 3rd 4th 5th rounds, but it drives me crazy when they do it in the top 50 picks.  I would have (and I'm sure they would have too) loved for them to have gotten either Percy Harvin or Louis Delmas.  I think Delmas went right before Chung give or take a pick.  I guess time will tell.  So far the 09 draft looks better than the previous 3 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12696276/prepare-for-overload-of-underclassmen-in-upcoming-draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i strongly disagree simroy (*respectfully of course) maybe your right that stud pass rushers start off slow, but with good coaching/a good scheme (BB) a stud rusher can really develop into a pressure machine/key cog in the defense (richard seymour).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Trading up would suggest that the Pats have targeted someone who is head-and-shoulders above the rest at his postion, and beyond the obvious guy who isn't going to be there after the Rams pick, I don't know who that would be. History suggests that the Pats are more likely to go in the other direction and given the possibility that this could be a very deep draft, I will be curious to see if the Pats actually use the picks they've been stockpiling, or if we will continue to see the trend of loading up on extra picks, essentially banking on a future that never seems to arrive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

No, this is not the year to trade 2nd rnd picks.....too many youngsters coming out due to NFLPA contract neg.   Chances of grabbing some bonfide talents at 2nd round prices is too good for an organization to pass up. Same thing with next year Oak. #1, by then a rookie scale should be in place and a top 5 pick won't bankrupt a team.
    Keep this years #1 and #2's.
    Keep next years Oak #1 and perhaps trade NE's #1 for a couple 2's.
    In 2012, trade the #2's for more #2's
    In 2013, you should have a couple #1's and a few #2's and by then the college level talent have been replenished due to the talent drain from this years early jumps.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~Look, I don't mind moving up a spot or 2 ala when Belichick did NOT last year after making the correct evaluation of Percy Harvin's talent and the Vikings snagged him 1 spot before us...  I mean, when You "nail" the superior talent aspect, but are too rigid in your draft allotment to move up a couple places to snag that player, it's foolish.  YET, This Draft is amazingly deeper than most considering the excess College Ballers wanting to come out BEFORE The Owners make a far more stringent rule on Rookie Salary Caps in the upcoming Collective Bargaining Deadline...and believe you me, The OVERALL Salary Cap aside, The Owners WILL be sticklers on the aspect of NOT paying untested 1st and 2nd rd Rookies more than Veterans any longer.

~BUT make NO mistake, This team either needs, OR WILL need SEVERAL critical positions in the Draft that can't ALL be taken care of in Free Agency: 3-4 Defensive End, Starting Cornerback (Bodden is a FA), Starting Offensive Guard(s) (Mankins/Neal are FA), #2 Starting Possession Wide Receiver, Starting Tight End (Watson is mediocre and a FA), Starting Outside Linebacker(s) (AD is a ? and Burgess is a FA), #1 RunningBack (let's be honest here, even IF we don't need a #1 back, we need either a Bigger Back-Morris's age/injuries and/or a 3rd down back as well-Faulk's age). 
    So what's that?  At best 7 Starters, at worst, 9...and ya really sure that you want to combine some of our EARLY rd selections in a deep draft with this many Team Needs?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Out of 32 NFL draft decisionmakers, BB is clearly the most enamored of second round picks.  Give him a team of 30 second round picks and he'll beat any team with one first round pick, one second round pick, one third rounder and so on. 

BB only moves up when his specific guy is hanging ripe for the picking, and high up in the draft, as a rule he only moves up a few slots to bamboozle his competition.  Down in the sixth round he'll move up at the drop of a hat to get his guy.  So far not one of BB's twelve 2009 picks has been completely thrown away, and sixth rounders like Jake Ingram, Myron Pryor and Julian Edelman (7th) have made the team.

BB often moves down out of first round territory, first because first rounders want too much money for what they deliver.  The 31 other coaches all prize the very high picks.

Examples:  He traded the #7 pick in the draft a year ago for the #10 pick and useful change.  Then his guy, Mayo, was still hanging ripe for the picking, at a lower price.  Mayo has been as advertised.  This last year he traded away the #23 pick for the #26 pick and change, and that for the #41 pick and lots more, and then he picked up Butler at #41, who plays like a rookie but at least he's pretty fast and BB can spend all the money he saved on proven free-agent commodities like Tom Brady and Wes Welker.

Second,  BB trades down because every move downward keeps open the option for trading a pick out of the current year.  That's where the real gold lies.

Examples:  BB moved up to the #7 spot in the 2008 draft.  He grabbed two middle-of-second round picks in the 2010 draft from Tennessee and Jacksonville, thank you.  He still has Oakland's first round pick for 2011, and Oakland looks like they'll have a disaster in 2010.  Nice forecasting!

BB trades out whenever anyone offers a significantly better pick in the next year's draft.  A theoretical profit next year almost always beats a pick this year.  This is BB's stock in trade, his signature draft move -- a third for a second, a second for a first.  I suspect that BB earns 1 extra victory per season by good draft day trades.  BB has never been known to sell next year's pick for this year's.  That's for the other 31 war rooms.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

We didnt all want Peppers.  I dont want a 29, soon to be 30 yr old playing a new position on our team, nor did I at any point.  I hope he isnt even being considered and I dont think he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

peppers is over rated... trust me.  living in north carolina now, i hear all about him...  he's not a team player, he only plays when he has a big stage, he's never played in a 34 defense, and he would cost way too much.  can you say adalius thomas part 2?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I wonder who the Chargers will take with pick #32 in rd. 1 after hoisting Lombardi?
    Gerald McCoy from OU

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Are the Patriots on the rise, at the top, or in decline?  I say on the rise, and that is because Belichick stockpiles enough draft picks to be able to negotiate from strength or to defer until the next year.  What other team,besides the Colts, have maintained such a high level of competitive excellence for the past 8 years and only the Patriots have 4 super bowl appearances?  No other team can match that in this decade, and the Patriots should be even better in 2010.  Meanwhile, teams like the Giants win a super bowl and they will not get close to another one for several years.  Dallas, the Colts, and Chargers may have had superior talent in any one of the last 8 years than the Patriots have but the Patriots have Brady and Belichick and together that spells Super Bowl!  What does San Diego have to show for all their talent?  They had better win this year because LT is looking at the twilight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

No because they are going to wait for a rookie cap. Most likely they will trade the pick into later years. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I truly believe that acquiring the 2 2nds was one the shrewdest moves His Hoodiness has ever made. A huge number of underclassmen should declare and, perhaps more so than most years, there will be 1st round talent in the 2nd round. For example, I have seen mock drafts where a player like Taylor Mays (1st round material if he declares in 2009) will be available in the 2nd round. Suh is a pipe dream (as in you're hitting the pipe too hard if you think that will happen). Chung has been great on special teams and Butler has looked good in sub packages. Why not keep the 2nds until some loser team offers a great deal ? There is always good value in the 2nd. If you recall the players the Pats brought in for workouts last year (Butler, Vollmer,Brace) who they bring in this year might give us fans an idea about the players they are looking to draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

Redsghost right on the money!! I might even trade out of the first round unless there is  a player that cant be passed up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

I dunno, I agree that there is talent upon talent in this draft, thats no surprise to me. I just think it all depends on if they have a lock on one position or one side of the ball. For instance go D in general or go olb or secondary. Go o-line or O in general. Like I said IMHO this draft is stocked w/ potential, but I believe its talent heavy. IMHO this team needs alot of help, we need another ilb, maybe not as bad as olb, but one could make that arguement I believe. I think the top 2-3 ilb are flat out better than the olb. A guy lik Spikes and McClain could be..I think they could be great, I mean from day one, come right in and tear this league up. While guys like Kindle and Bowman show some potential, but dont blow me away at all. Plus olb are tough to project, most come out at anywhere from 230-245lbs. This olb class reminds me alot of last years, yea you got Matthews and Cushing, Orakpo has come on of late to the point were he has made an actual impact. But what about Ayers, Maybin, Curry, and none of these guys shoot out at me like them. And like I said earlier I think this draft could be top heavy, Im also a "best guy available" guy, and if we could move up a few spots an get an elite guy, why not. Im curious, I like to hear how you guys feel about specific guys, U know Berry, Mays, Dunlap, Okung, Hayden, so on. Another thing is what about if we stay pat and and a guy like Bryant falls to ue, not likely, but mosdef possible. Moss is my fav player ever, but what hes doing right now is phenomenal, gonaa be 33 in Feb. and just put up 1200 n 13td's, even if he doesnt play this week. I think he has about 3 more of these seasons in him. That said Brady has about 5-6yrs of elite play in him, maybe try and get him a could be number one guy, I like Welker as much as the next, but IMHO hes not a true number one. I want my number one to do more than be just a slot rec. Plus real number ones get into the endzone. He is great here, but didnt show anything close to to being a number one in MIA, I know, I know, no QB, bad team, but true number one guys...well you can tell if you have one or not. This a whole other convo. but is relevant to this disscussion. I aslo understand the history of rec. taken in the first round, like I said Im a Moss fan and there has been more than what 2-3 guys that really produce right away, I can think Q and 81 off the top of my head. And Bryant could have value and worth taking a chance if hes around at say 25-28. Who knows, would like to hear your thoughts.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

Comish has alreay said "if there is a cap for pick 1 thru 15 it will be in 2012

Sections
Shortcuts