Do you guys think Brady can Play till he is 45?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Do you guys think Brady can Play till he is 45?

When the Patriots drafted Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett in the third round of the 2011 NFL draft, some believed the team was targeting then-33 year old Tom Brady’s eventual replacement.

If that was indeed the plan, the veteran quarterback made it clear he doesn’t expect it to happen any time soon, as he proclaimed last year that he wants to continue playing for 10 more seasons.

Brady has altered his future plans slightly, telling Sports Illustrated’s Peter King that he’ll play “until they tell me they don't want me anymore.''

Appearing on WEEI earlier Monday afternoon, one of Brady’s most trusted receiving targets, Wes Welker, declared that he has no doubt that the quarterback could continue to play for another 10 years. (Full audio of the interview available HERE).

That would mean a career spanning until the age of 45 for Brady, which would put him in rare company amongst NFL players.

In fact, should Brady stick around that long as a starter, he’d become the oldest starting quarterback in NFL history, surpassing three players who started at age 44 – Warren Moon, Steve DeBerg, and Vinny Testaverde.

DeBerg spent his final season with the Falcons, starting one game in 1998. Moon similarly started one game while suiting up for the Chiefs in 2000, while Testaverde managed six starts for the Panthers in 2007.

Only one quarterback, George Blanda, played past the age of 44. Blanda, who was primarily a kicker in the latter portion of his career, retired at the age of 48 as the NFL’s all-time leading scorer (he has since been surpassed on the list).

Welker credits Brady’s preparation and approach to everything in his life as a reason he has been able to be such an effective player for so long.

“In every decision he makes and everything he does – from what he eats, to what he drinks, to what his traveling schedule is – everything is centered around football. Everything … Every decision he makes is literally towards being a better football player,” he said.

After reading this I think he can play till he is atleast 40 tops.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Do you guys think Brady can Play till he is 45?

No.  His body won't hold up.  Brady gets a lot of credit for playing through his ailments, but he has his share of ailments.  Go figure, he plays football.  That said, I think you need to have a body made of iron to play until you are 45.  I think we have 3 more very good years, and then the decline will begin.  If he starts for another 5 years I'll feel like a lucky fan.  It's pretty hard to imagine that at the moment, but history tells us his body will begin to give out on him, and it usually happens suddenly.

It would be great to see him break records well into his 40's though.  3-5 more good years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

a lot can happen over the course of any single season never mind multiple seasons...Tom is not getting any younger and defensive players are getting stronger and faster all the time....providing Brady does do everything he can do to stay strong & healthy and he doesn't take many nasty hits he may get to play until 39-40....after that I believe it will be all borrowed time...
    IF Mallett is the real deal I'd probably start him when Brady's contract is up & Franchise Brady & trade him to a team dying for a QB in the NFC & get a couple 1st rounders or 1 1st and a couple seconds....THIS IS ONLY IF MALLETT IS OUR SUCCESSOR...he'd be around 26 or 27 at that time....a good 10-12 years left for him to start & be the next face of the franchise....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wish he could play till he was 45, but I think it would be more realistic to say 40. There's just too many things that can go wrong as you age and it takes too long to recover from things. I think Tom has already played through some injuries that the team has not let on about, when you're 39/40 those things don't heal as fast, or at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Yes but he'd be a backup at that age which he wouldn't want. I could see 40 years old and still being a starter

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and his high level income, it's not crazy to think he can play till he's 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Maybe not 45 but i'd venture a guess (barring any further major injuries) that he could start until he's 40. Brady's imobility may become a god send as he will never be judged on what he can do on the run, Brady's game is based on great knowledge of the D and amazing throwing fundamentals. The efficency game that he played from 01-04 could feature more in his later years, they could go back to basing the offense on a power running game and let Brady throw routes up to 20-25 yards. Brady could easily play like that until 40 maybe even further it really all depends on how many hits he takes and generally he's one of the least hit QB's annually

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL. NO

I hope he doesn't pull a Favre.

He has the mental apptitude to play a long time, but not the athleticism he will need past 38.

BB wil have to make the tough call when that day comes. I hope somehow TB becomes the OC of the Patriots someday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm still wondering what happened to his arm in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

Yes, if Brady doesn't mind starting on lousy teams or he can re do his contract in a few years and be the Patriots back-up qb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I say he plays out this contract, then if he still wants to play and is at a high level, one more two year, Kurt Warner style deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Do you guys think Brady can Play till he is 45?:
    I'm still wondering what happened to his arm in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl.
    Posted by tcal2-

That is kinda what I was saying too.  He plays through his injuries, but he has started to have a lot of little and not so little injuries.  Rumor is he aggravated his shoulder injury in the SB.  The last time he played in the SB he had a bad foot.  When the ravens spanked us he had bad ribs, finger, and who knows what else.  His body will not hold up until 45.  40 is his max.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

It all depends on how many hairdoo's his wifey can create for him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

We can't quite tell the future.  Elway played his best football at age 40.  Overall, quarterbacks at 31 other teams got slammed around harder than behind the Patriots line.  If that keeps up, Brady might hang around.  Might. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I doubt it.  I think he's got three or four more years.  But who knows? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

No.  3-5 years left at a exceptional level of play.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Hard to say what 10 years will bring. The difference between 35 and 45 is huge for an athlete. At 35 things are starting to go. At 45 they're long gone in most cases. But I wouldn't be shocked if Brady can do it. His abilities are at least as much in his head as they are in his body.

But all those getting a chub over Mallet should realize; the chances are 90% against him being even a good NFL starter, much less a Brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Tom Brady is a once in a generation quarterback and takes exceptional care of himself.  45 is really pushing the envelope however.  As much as I hate to say this I think we're looking at 40, perhaps a year beyond that tops.  And I'll be positively delighted to eat these words if he's still launching cruise missiles at 45.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Brady just keeps getting better and better, with what's available to athletes as far as treatment, supplements and diet a QB like Brady who's best asset is his brain can play until his early to mid 40s.  

The biggest question is how good will his OL be, if he's protected and doesn't take a beating and his work ethic I think he can.  To 45 might be a little too much but to say 42 I can see him doing that.  That's why I believe Brady's replacement is just a freshman in college this year or maybe even a high school senior.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

In Response to Re: Do you guys think Brady can Play till he is 45?:
    No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and his high level income, it's not crazy to think he can play till he's 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia.
    Posted by TrueChamp

pig heart ...classic post.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I think Brady will play 5 more years. Really believe Mallet will be traded after 2 years and a good chance that trade will end up being Brady's heir.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

3-5 more years at an elite level and then a decline for a couple of years is probably the most likely. Hopefully he stops while he is ahead.

But the ACL-injury and his car crash before the 2010 season are reminders to all of us that any game - or any day for that matter - could be the last. I'll enjoy every game he plays untill it's over, and be gratefull that the best in a generation played for the patriots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

i think the thing brady has going for him is hes a pocket passer, he doesnt scramble. Because of this His career will extend longer then a player who scrambles alot.

I think its perfectly plausible for brady to play till he is 45, with only minor performance hits, which could actually improve his game, Less trying to throw bombs, and more of the mid range stuff he is really good at.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts