Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique

He'll be fine.  Pressure and sophmore jitters.  He has had time to look at film, think it over and make changes.  I bet we are pretty happy with him soon. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Both-IMHO-twofold problem-hopefully the staff can fix it.In Response to Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique:
    what is the chance when he gets back from his shoulder injury that he magically returns to 2010 mccourty
    Posted by patthepatriot666

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

I also think McCourty will come back fresh and plating his best football.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

I think the lockout has a lot to do with it.  He missed crucial time in the offseason to work with coaches and build upon what he accomplished last year.  Sharpening technique, things like that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique:
    In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Butler was never good. And never really got the chance to play he was so bad. McCourty has regressed but hes still twice the CB Butler was. McCourty was never scared to make a tackle or make a play in the box.  So I guess its like comparing Brady playing DT with Wilfork. Is that better?
    Posted by maine12

??????????

The dude had three picks, and nine PDs his rookie season. That includes a 91 yard pick six. He finished the season as the starter, and started the next season as a starter.

No he wasn't as good as DMC his rookie season, but he was better than solid. Most importantly, there were a host of confused people as to why he regressed so suddenly ... read the articles. 

In case ou started watching the Pats this season, google Darius Butler regressed, or regression ... you'll get hundreds and hundreds of hits.  

Please, actually watch the games before getting smart with people. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique:
    In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : ?????????? The dude had three picks, and nine PDs his rookie season. That includes a 91 yard pick six. He finished the season as the starter, and started the next season as a starter. No he wasn't as good as DMC his rookie season, but he was better than solid. Most importantly, there were a host of confused people as to why he regressed so suddenly ... read the articles.  In case ou started watching the Pats this season, google Darius Butler regressed, or regression ... you'll get hundreds and hundreds of hits.   Please, actually watch the games before getting smart with people. 
    Posted by zbellino

Yeah he regressed from bad to horrible. He started two games compared to McCourty's 16. Butler started 2 games compared to  a PROBOWL corner. haha this is basic football. Do you just sit on this sight or do you actually watch the NFL. Football here is not the same as futbol. Your starting to sound European.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

booyah!!

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Yeah he regressed from bad to horrible. He started two games compared to McCourty's 16. Butler started 2 games compared to  a PROBOWL corner. haha this is basic football. Do you just sit on this sight or do you actually watch the NFL. Football here is not the same as futbol. Your starting to sound European.
    Posted by maine12

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Yeah he regressed from bad to horrible. He started two games compared to McCourty's 16. Butler started 2 games compared to  a PROBOWL corner. haha this is basic football. Do you just sit on this sight or do you actually watch the NFL. Football here is not the same as futbol. Your starting to sound European.
    Posted by maine12

Dude. You are clueless. He started five games. Tennessee, Miami twice, New Orleans, and Houston. He was installed as a starter the next season. Did you make up the two starts stat? Or did you remember it from all the football you've been watching. 

Here are just a few reviews citing a positive rookie season. 

I could dig up another 20 probably, including dissections of his regression. 

Also, the Patriots are a team in Foxboro, they represent NE. Cornerbacks are responsible for covering WRs, and blah, blah, blah. 

You should try watching games some time in the future instead of being a wise-@ss and shooting your mouth off. 

McCourty's regression, albeit from a better rookie campaign is similar. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Butler's play during his rookie season earned him a starting position. Butler's play during his second season earned him the boot.
    Posted by digger0862

Hmmm. 

Don't tell Mainer there ... he might blow a gasket realizing he's wasted time watching commercials instead of the actual games. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2011/09/whats_up_with_devin_mccourty_a.html

Oh and here's an article comparing their regression from rookie form: 

"he's slipping in his second season much the same way that Darius Butler did..."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He'll be fine.  Pressure and sophmore jitters.  He has had time to look at film, think it over and make changes.  I bet we are pretty happy with him soon. 
    Posted by Davedsone

Technically speaking he isn't looking for the football, and is losing his responsibility behind him.

Additionally, the worst part of his season was the first four games when BB was running a lot of cover-1 and rolling the safety over Arrington. 

Still, since then, Arrington has been the better of the two. 

And the CB in general has imrproved in McCourty's absence.

I hope he can get back into the form he was when he was a rookie. NE could use more help on defense. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If Tebow lets DMC into his prayer group, things will work out.
    Posted by ipot

+1

BB should hire Tebow to give him a pep-talk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Not after their first season. McCourty looked much better, but they both regressed ... hard. 
    Posted by zbellino

I trust that McCourty's body of work last year was MUCH bigger than Butler's was.  Furthermore, McCourty already has a good reputation, which will prevent him from getting the confidence-shattering pass interference penalties for having better position on receivers that Butler got (namely against the Ravens at home in the regular season, but also on a pass to Austin Collie where Collie jumped on top of him, fell over him, and got the flag).

Plus, McCourty has been in position.  He just needs to play the ball in the air a little better.  And he isn't giving up.  You could see it in Butler's body language when he got down on himself and it hurt his growth as much as anything.  Corner is BY FAR the hardest non-QB position in the NFL to fully learn, ergo the rarity of elite corners.  He's got 80% of it and he's sticking through hard times and tough lessons to get the other 20% (ball in air, jumping, avoiding the WR-half-arm-push)

There might be some merit in bringing in a couple veteran DBs this offseason, though, and a former player to coach Cornerbacks.  Revis helped Kyle Wilson improve this past offseason.  Ty Law made everyone better when he was here.  In fact, Ty Law would be a tremendous Cornerbacks Coach if he was willing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Dude. You are clueless. He started five games. Tennessee, Miami twice, New Orleans, and Houston. He was installed as a starter the next season. Did you make up the two starts stat? Or did you remember it from all the football you've been watching.  Here are just a few reviews citing a positive rookie season.  http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4702077/stats-analysis-on-butler http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/darius_butler_released_after_difficult_year_long_stretch_with_patriots/6599575 http://clnsradio.com/2011/nfl/new-england-patriots-nfl/pats-report-warren-butler-out-older-gronkowski-in/ http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/darius-butler-should-rebound-for-increased-role-in-patriots-secondary-in-2011.html I could dig up another 20 probably, including dissections of his regression.  Also, the Patriots are a team in Foxboro, they represent NE. Cornerbacks are responsible for covering WRs, and blah, blah, blah.  You should try watching games some time in the future instead of being a wise-@ss and shooting your mouth off.  McCourty's regression, albeit from a better rookie campaign is similar. 
    Posted by zbellino

Alright Im a man I can eat my words when I say wrong. Butler was better in coverage than I thought as a rookie, and was aweful last year. As to the two games started I looked at 2010 instead 2009, thats my bad. Your right they are comparable, much more than I thought. But Butler compared to McCourty in the ground game is night and day. 
    Your right I was wrong and atleast I'll admit it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Hmmm.  Don't tell Mainer there ... he might blow a gasket realizing he's wasted time watching commercials instead of the actual games. 
    Posted by zbellino

I don't care enough about what people say on a discussion board to blow gaskets. Plus now they play a commercial per play. I cant help but happen to watch 100 commercials a game.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : Alright Im a man I can eat my words when I say wrong. Butler was better in coverage than I thought as a rookie, and was aweful last year. As to the two games started I looked at 2010 instead 2009, thats my bad. Your right they are comparable, much more than I thought. But Butler compared to McCourty in the ground game is night and day.  Your right I was wrong and atleast I'll admit it
    Posted by maine12

Yeah man. Sorry about the words. You are a legit dude. The forum needs mroe folks like you. 

And you are right, McCourty fell from greater heights, and thus fell harder. A year and a few months ago people were hosting similar threads like this ... and I think (if we add Bodden as well) there is a trend with second year players (not just sophomores , but 2nd year in the system) regressing.

It's disturbing.

And I think it's partly psychological.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Do you think mccourtys problem is psychological or technique : I don't care enough about what people say on a discussion board to blow gaskets. Plus now they play a commercial per play. I cant help but happen to watch 100 commercials a game.
    Posted by maine12

LOL. Well played man. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nobody thinks the scheme change and more Man defense has changed anything?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

maybe belichick is too adamant about not giving up the big play and causes corners to play more timid

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

B.B. does preach not giving up the big play and when CB's hear this they kinda back off and this was Darius' problem last year,. He was so scared he backed off and gave up everything underneath.

When a CB loses the ability to take chances, he is just a guy out there thats gonna get beat all day.  You have to get in peoples faces sometimes and make them beat you.

I have no doubts that McCourty will turn it around and its more scheme oriented.

Remember when Asante was here playing with Hobbs?  He would always give a 10 yard cushion and Hobbs would be on the other side playing man/press.

I would watch Asante give up those 10 yard plays and ask my buddy "it is B.B.'s scheme to have one guy up and the other back".  The answer is 2 fold.

On one hand if you have a shutdown or somewhat of a shutdown CB, and the other CB is average you could employ a scheme that keeps Asante on an island and thus he needs to play back in order to keep him from beating him deep. On the other side you are helping Hobbs and that allows him to play up in the face and get underneath action.

Asante actually doesnt play man/press well, and he is still playing back 10 yards in Philly and he almost never gets beat deep and he wasnt challenged by us at all.

McCourty got the Asante treatment this year and regressed because he wasnt ready to be a straight up shutdown CB.  He should learn how to play off and not get too close and get beat deep, which is what was happening early on. 

I hope I didnt confuse anyone..  I got a little off track.

McCourty still needs help deep if he is gonna press WR's. If he plays a little back like Asante and is still effective he will play better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

BB was actually running a lot of cover one earlier. That put a huge amount of pressure on DMC, because they would roll the safety at Arrington, or at the guy covering an elite TE (Gates).

Since then, they have gone back to more cover-2 generic stuff. 

I think BB expects a lot of all his defenders ... the second year is a huge point where they need to do a lot more. 

Most seem to dislike getting the training wheels taken off ... and really, only a couple corners have flourished here, Law and Samuel being the obvious guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont like Cover 1 with the safeties we have right now. They dont have experience and it shows at times. Its better lately with the scheme changing back like you said. In Cover 1 the safety has to read the qb's eyes and either help on strongside or weak, and sometimes he just has to use instincts and guess where the qb is going.

If you dont have Ed Reed back there its not ideal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

B.B. does preach not giving up the big play and when CB's hear this they kinda back off and this was Darius' problem last year,. He was so scared he backed off and gave up everything underneath. When a CB loses the ability to take chances, he is just a guy out there thats gonna get beat all day.  You have to get in peoples faces sometimes and make them beat you. ...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

scared of making a mistake is the worst thing that cbs can be...i think.

if bb is the type who keep beating them on the head everytime they make a mistake, i understand how cbs can develop that mindset.

Sections
Shortcuts