Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

Of course we won't know for fact until after the season is over, but seeing as this is a discussion board and all....

It is time for us to state our opinion. Try and be direct as some of you are not very direct at all. Please no waffling as my good friend prolate is the king of( well they could be good, but I won't get my expectations up too far, I'm not too high, and I'm not too low, etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the question: position by position, is our roster a better NFL roster then we have fielded since 2010? If you think one group or another is not as good please explain why, but also answer the question....do we look better this year then we have the past few years?

I say we look better at every position across the board! And in some areas it is not even close. Our front seven is as good as its been since the super bowl years, and our running back duo is the best it's been since Dillion, and Faulk.

The receiving combo is more talented then it's been the past few years, even though it is young, and our offensive line is as good as ever.

I could understand an argument against the TE position but if suddfield can play near as well as he is hyped we are looking at a dominant group. Then again having Gronk alone gives you the best TE in the league so you are already great.

cb's look better then they have since 07, and IMO the only thing we are missing is a hard hitting strong safety, but the coverage safeties look good.

Oh yeah, one more question....if you conclude that our roster is in fact more talented then it has been, do you also conclude that the general manager is doing an amazing job at team building, considering we have been as close as you can get to winning a championship the last 2 years?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

Yes
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

Yes and yes.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think defense will be better, but not sure how roster can be better right now after losing Welker,Hernandez and Woodhead.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

no,  less vets = less fire.  it will be brady vs. insert team name once again.  Quite tired of it.  we will lose round one in playoffs again because lack of playmaking lack of desire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It might be if the rookies are good.  I don't think it will be, however.  I think the current receiver corps is a total joke.  I really hope I'm wrong, but no one will know until they play.

I don't see any great improvements in any aspect of the team.

The AFCE is actually worse this year, so 12 wins is all but a lock anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Offense

QB = Same

RB Corp = yes

TE = No

WR Corp = No, but may be in the future

OL = About the same

Defense

DL - slightly better

LB Corp = About the same, but may be better in the future due to Collins

DB = about the same, still below average

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Depends on a lot of things....
    Starters seem as good or maybe better as at any time since 2010.

Depth however could be a problem at CB, SS, DT, TE.

But on the whole yes, it is the best. 

Supra societatem nemo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Top to Bottom, yes.  It is the best roster that we have had in the past 3 years.  Lots of talented young players, which I'm a big fan of.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Yes!

they are  faster and more athletic at WR. They are better overall on D except for SS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I've heard one honest pundit's opinion that Tom Brady's skills deteriorated a bit in 2012, even as he set an NFL record for most first downs in a season.  This happens to older quarterbacks.  ProFootballFocus.com tries to look at individual performances, not team performances.  On this basis alone, and projecting this potential deterioration into 2013, I say no. 

This doesn't mean that the Pats won't secure a first round bye.  This also doesn't mean that Peyton Manning isn't worse off. 

The playoffs are always dicey to predict up or down. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The team is better on the D side.  Since you're forcing us to take a position, on the O side I'm going to project that by mid to late in the season the O will be better.  Early on, I do not think that they will be but that's the price you pay for a major overhaul at a skill position.

And, yes, I give BB credit for upgrading the team.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hard to tell there is still a ton of unknowns. 

QB - I want to say same but it's another year on Brady. For right now I'm going same but at some point we are going to start to see Brady decline (even in decline he'd still be one of the best out there)

WR - Could be better but it's hard to tell with rooks and your 2 main vets have had major injury issues the last 2 years.

TE - Worse. I love Sudfeld but no Gronk to start the year and 4 surgeries since his last real action and Hernandez not being there really hurts.

OL - Pretty much the same. With Scar leading the way we can essentially count on consistency year in and year out

DL - I don't know what to make of this group. Kelly is an improvement over Love and hopefully Jones develops but there is zero depth from what we've seen so far. The starters can't be on the field all the time otherwise they will simply break down from exhaustion. Until I see what they depth can provide I'm going to have to go with worse just simply because it doesn't matter how good the starters are they will get worse if they can't get proper rest

LB - Depth has improved so has this unit

CB - Same, it's the same group except Harmon and Ryan are in and really we don't know what to expect from them.

Overall??? potential to be better but also potential to be worse it all depends on how good the rooks are and what the depth on the DL can provide.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

In response to getdrunkstupit's comment:

no,  less vets = less fire.  it will be brady vs. insert team name once again.  Quite tired of it.  we will lose round one in playoffs again because lack of playmaking lack of desire.

How do you know there is lack of playmaking and lack of desire? Being a vet doesnt mean you automatically get desire thats something that starts from a player when he first enters the league case in point Kenbrell Thompkins, and as far as playmaking I see a ton of playmakers on our team. Think before you type please.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

On paper, first stringers, yes.

I expect, however (go ahead, call me a negative nancy or a doom-n-gloomer), that DA, talib and Gronk (once he does return) will miss significant time with injuries, or not play at 100% at critical points.  That will make a huge difference in the wrong direction for the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

YES!!!!!! I think our team this year is 10x better than it was the past three years at every positon. As great as hernadez was he never played with consistency, let alone a full 16. welker thrived because brady didnt have that many dependable options to throw the ball to, and our offense moves thru the slot for the most part.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I look at it completely opposite. I think rookies = more fire....they are trying to prove themselves, may have a chip on their shoulder.

I get a kick out of certain posters whining about needing to upgrade this or that, and then still unhappy when BB makes major changes as in the WR corps. People cried for younger, stronger, faster...and he did that. Now we wait and see if that change works out.

Do I think BB is the perfect GM & coach? Heck no....he makes mistakes like all of the good ones do. What he does do each year is give this team a reasonable (shot) at the big show. 01, 03 & 04 spoiled the NE fans to the core. Now every year w/o a SB win is a complete failure on BB's part. We are two fluke plays aways from having 5 rings.

Bottom line is I do think the roster (looks) better. Whether it is or not remains to be seen, and impossible to tell until they start playing meaningful games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Yes and yes, especially the guys catching the passes. I'm tired of having two guys in the top ten in dropped passes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

True, My reply from my thread.

No problem. Im better now after returning from lunch. To be honest, I just thought you were stirring the pot which is sad that the board has come to that where u dont know honest questions from ones that are asked for conflict. I do think this team could be much better than 2011 but there are too many ifs, too many injury concerns with important guys(amendola, gronk) but I like the potential and I have no problem with the youth movement because the guys look solid so far. I would question why BB would not care about our 3rd tackle, but I dont know the plan. Is it still 4-3 with nink and Jones at end? 2-4-5? 3-4?  IDk, but either way, the talent is THERE in the front seven. We need them to be great cuz our back end IMO is still a question mark. Dennard, I havent seen in weeks. Arrington? not a fan. In 2011, we had Ihedebo, CHung and S.Moore, and M.Slater, and Josh Barret, and Sergio Brown and McCourty and maybe some more names. By time the SB came, it was patchwork. Sterling moore got us in the SB. Brady kept us in it until he got slammed on the turf and lost his accuracy but the end game was  still lost on bad safety play, so 2 years later, Im not concerned with the offense which has maintained 500 pts/season the last 5 years despite numerous changes. Brady will take care of that. Im concerned that we may get back to the SB and still have the same problems that cost us the L to begin with. Lets hope its not a problem and McCourty turns into Ed reed and Gregory learns to play safety

I am nitpicking a bit, But there has been ample time to fix it and I didnt think Gregory was worth retaining. I will say Yes to the team possible being better on paper and I recognize the DE/LB corps are better. Other than that, lots of wait and see for me

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

How does less vets = less fire? 

You're generalizing that only players with tenure/experience come to compete every day?  A young player, particularly an undrafted player (which NE's roster has in relative abundance) is lacking in competitive fire?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

Talent looks good ... but as many posters have pointed out ... it's about execution ... coaching ... leadership ... and a few lucky bounces.

I lean towards veteran leadership stepping up being the difference maker. We had it back in 2001 / 2003 / 2004 etc. and to make it back as Super Bowl Champions we will need veterans that inspire the less experienced players plus discipline, good play calling and some luck on player health!

Clearly the talent is there this year to be a contender.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes.

QB - Same

RBs - Better. If Ridley finally cut down on his fumbles he will have a 1,600 yard season because BB won't bench him as much as he did the last two years.

WR - Better. The last 3 years have been Welker and...Welker. Even if it takes Boyce and Dobson a couple of weeks to assimilate, Thompkins is ready for the big stage, he'll do fine with Danny Ammy. 

TEs - Same if Gronk stays healthy. Hern was good, not great. He's easily replacable.

OL - Better. Cannon is ready for the big stage, he brings added power to our OL who struggles to win fights. Our left side is beastly already, but Cannon and Vollmer are towers of power. 

DL - Better, by a lot. Our DT depth has always been Wilfork and (insert scrub A), Kelly makes the OL have to pick a poison between Vince dominating or Kelly dominating. Plus, CJ95 is ready to power through a season that will see him in a lot more single coverage. Nink blows, but I like that Buchanon kid.

LB - Better. Fletcher is back, Hightower will do more reacting and less reading, Collins looks like a stud and Spikes is playing for a contract.

CB - Better, by a lot. Last three years, our starting CBs were McCourty and Arrington. Talib and Dennard > McCourty and Arrington. 

S - Better. McCourty is better than any CS we've had since Rod retired. 

ST = Same, unless Washington comes back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I'd say it's a push. 

I still think this team is talented, but thin at spots. 

An injury or two (as we've seen the last few postseasons) could derail the thing. Fully healthy, I think they are as good as anyone. 

Amazing job? Well, that's a load question meant to take a shot at Babe. 

I'd say he's doing a very good job. He certainly got most of the pieces in place even if he's struggled getting his defensive backfield in order among a few other niggles. Amazing? I'd reserve that for guys who've won it all in the last five years or so, or rebuilt teams from scratch with a veteran MVP to build around. 

Like I said, I'm worried about the depth at a few spots .... I see that as a GM issue. 

Sections
Shortcuts