Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to pcmIV's comment:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.   Surely you can't be serious with such a stupid argument. 

Are you sure you want to start calling things stupid? Because I'm game, but I think the rest of the board likes to keep things civil. I just want it to be clear who started that sort of thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Are you sure you want to start calling things stupid? Because I'm game, but I think the rest of the board likes to keep things civil. I just want it to be clear who started that sort of thing.

I do not think you are stupid.  I think that argument is though.  But if you'd like I can reclassify it to nonsensical.  Better?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always look at your posts with intererst

I . OFFENSE:

1.) QB: The 33 year old Tom Brady is likely better than the 36 year old Tom; (-) How long did it take for TB to get really get over his injury? I think he looks more fluid now than3-2 yrs ago. Mentally - all these new weapons may really get him elevated even more.

2.) RB: The underrated Danny Woodhead is gone. Still, the 2013 RB corps may be the most talented that BB has had, over the past three years; (+) Yes And can Blount at #250lbs play full back?

3.) OL: The overall depth on the OL was perhaps better in years past. But, Marcus Cannon has improved. OG Brian Waters was an excellent free agent acquisition in 2011. Sebastien Vollmer was healthier in previous seasons. But, center Ryan Wendel really stepped up last year, and is likely to continue his fine play. LT Nate Solder is certainly better now than he was three years ago...and may be ready to claim a spot in the pro-bowl. Both Logan Mankins and Dan Connelly were healthier in the past. (E) I heard that Mankins is healthier this year than last? But agree with you

4.) TEs: With Gronk still recovering from injury and AH in jail, no way that the Pats are currently better at TE than they were during the past three years; (-) When they were on the field at the same time Yes. But how often?. We will have to wait until after the season now on Sudfeld. But because of the versatility in the offensive weapons' We may not have 1 80 yrd reception person - see below

5.) WR: No Wes Welker is quite a loss. Though we all believe that Danny Armendola will adequately replace him, Danny has yet to show us that he can stay healthy, and get the job done throughout the 16 game schedule. For example: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748026/wednesdays-pats-bills-practice-report?ex_cid=espnapi_public .  The rookies have potential, but are complete unknowns. Aaron Dobson appears to be a disappointment. The Pats could have, and should have drafted WR Markus Wheaton, who ended up with Pittsburgh, instead. Could this be the second coming of Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace? Hope I'm wrong;  (-) 

Gee, I dont think we have had a weapon at WR since Moss, and we possibly  have 3 of them now. All we heard were raves in the first half of camp for Dobson. This grouping has speed - it has to be more vertical than what we have had. But to be fair we have to wait.                        At slot - DA, Endleman, Boyce

II. DEFENSE:

1.) DE: The addition of Chandler Jones helps, as does the improvement of Rob Ninkovich. I like the potential of Mike Buchanan. (+) Yes

2.) DT: Vince Wilfolk is now on the wrong side of 30. Tommy Kelly has talent. But, at age 32, can he last a full season? Lack of quality depth behind these two is a major concern. (- ) You have this thing about age - only if the injury bug gets them -When did we ever have depth in the last 3 yrs?

3.) LBs: The strength of this team. The 2013 group appears to be the best LB corp that the Pats have had, since 2003-04. (+) YES

4.) CB: Having Aqib Talib for a full season helps.Other than that, it's the same old scrubs as back-ups. Alfonzo Denard may be a step-up, if only he could stay out of Nebraska. (+)YES

5.) Safety: FS Devin McCourty has improved at this position, after gaining some experience. He should be better in 2013. But, SS is a complete joke. The Pats were better off with the injury prone Patrick Chung, than they are with the stiffs they have manning the position this season. BB gets a big fat "F" for failing to shore up this position in the off-season. Adrian Wilson?? Pleeeaaasssseee!! (-).  So...overall, the Pats are worse in 2013, than they were over the past three years.    This seems to be the concensus Opinion.  But it was Chung who screwed up the fake punt and Chung who lined up wrong for the ElI pass in SB 46. I still do not know who BB was supposd to bring in - I really don't so i cannot give BB an F- I will wait for the end of the season on this one. 

I don't think any team in the NFL is more versatile than the Pats. We will have to measure them this year on the Sum of the Whole.

On Offense:Too many weapons and the ball will be spread like we haven't seen it in some time - except Gronk in the Red Zone.  But I do see hand on every reciever.

The Defense Front 7 may just finally be fully loaded.  I am worried about injuries on the Dline and in DB    We should measure each on  "Points per possession"

So i say, hopefully, better over all

RESPONSE: I also say, hopefully, better overall.

But, realistically, players over 30 are more susceptible to injury, especially when they are being over-played. They tend to wear down as the season rolls on. With the emphasis on the hurry-up offenses we're seeing today, a DT rotation is a must.

As for Chung, just like the Tavon Wilson and Dowling picks, I criticized BB, almost from the get go. It become immediately evident during preseason of his rookie year that he had issues in pass coverage. Still, when healthy, Chung was good in run support, was a hard hitter, and made some plays. I can't really say the same for Tavon or the 33 year old (there's the age thing again) Adrian Wilson. What irks me is that BB could have signed SS Bernard Pollard, likely for less money than either Chung or Adrian Wilson ended up getting. Though Pollard too has some issues in coverage, he's a major league intimidator...something that the Pats have lacked since the days of Rodney Harrison.

At WR and TE, Pats fans appear to be getting too carried away with Thompkins and Sudfelds. It's one thing to look good in the preseason...but quite another to get it done on the big stage, against the first stringers. Wes Welker has shown himself to be both productive and durable. We don't know if Danny Armendola can stay on the field. He's already nursing a groin injury. Aaron Dobson seemed to have difficulties getting off the line of scimmage, and gaining separation, during the preseason games. As for Gronk, though we are hopeful, who knows whether he'll be able to Gronkulate again, as he once did? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

in the grand scheme of what's best for the team, it's obvious that Mallett is the better choice as evidenced by the preseason.

Not necessarily.

Babe, we'll agree to disagree.  To me, watching the competition unfold, it wasn't even close in my opinion.  Others posted stats and a rationale that, to me, further convinces me that what I was seeing was sort of how it played out on the field.  Again, to me, the best indicator of Tebow's abilities or lack thereof is that, despite his pedigree and overall great character, he remains a free agent when there are some pretty lousy teams out there who could certainly use an infusion at QB and household name players to generate some fan interest.  If Mallett was released he'd have multiple offers in about one day.  

Maybe he'll go to Canada and prove me wrong.  I doubt it, but I've been wrong before.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

No spin required. BB says he makes moves because they are in the best interest of the team. There could be a half dozen reasons why he thinks that. Unlike you, I don't try to spin and answer why. But the FACT remains, TT outplayed Mallet in the last pre-season game. LMAO@U

Keep bringing it. I'm feeling frisky. I got some free board time on my hands now that dumbkoff is on ignore.

If Tebow was so good why not keep him AND Mallett on the roster?  It's not like we haven't kept 3 QBs before. 

[/QUOTE]

There are difficulties going on with the TE position at the moment. I'm not going to spin like you do, but it could be that an extra TE seems more of a need at the moment to BB than a 3rd QB. Also, Mallet is the incumbent and a high draft pick. The LAST thing BB needs right now is to showcase yet another high draft pick bust with some major fails already on display.

I really don't like speculation in a discussion of the facts. But I thought I might offer a couple of alternatives to your warped view.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I do not think you are stupid.  I think that argument is though.  But if you'd like I can reclassify it to nonsensical.  Better?

Better. But still wrong. LMAO

Look, you're a good sort of fellow and I just don't want this to escalate into something undesirable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'm going to show this off because it illustrates the national media's opinion of the Patriots receiving corps.  I disagree, but pundits 3000 miles or so away are entitled to their opinion.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9638571&ex_cid=espnapi_public

Me, I'm impressed with Danny Amendola and I expect him to have good longevity with Brady leading him properly.  I'm quite impressed with UFAs KT and Suds, considering that everybody else in the NFL passed on them seven times, and with Boyce.  Dobson seems to be coming along a little better than the average late second rounder, but he's more or less normal.  Gronk appears to be almost ready, although if these first two games are jokes Gronk can rest up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Babe, we'll agree to disagree.  To me, watching the competition unfold, it wasn't even close in my opinion.  

I didn't even see it as a competition. I never thought BB was bringing in TT to supplant Mallet. That's not how BB rolls. He is pretty reluctant to cut bait on high draft picks anyway. I think he saw TT as an interesting option for a 3rd QB and maybe a guy who could bring in a new look here or there in a game. And over some time he could watch him develop. I believe other pressing needs, like at TE were TT's downfall in that regard. I will not be surprised in the least if TT is brought back in a few weeks or less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

YES! Clearly....

Offense

QB = TB is still TB but perhaps more patient

RB Corp = Certainly. RIdley is peak. Vereen is coming into his own. Bolden is solid. Blount is a new dynamic player.

TE = YES!!!! But why? Well, Gronk is Gronk and he will be back soon. Sudfeld has the best hands at TE we have had outside of Gronk (maybe just as good hands) and he is likely a better blocker than AH was

WR Corp = Clearly better. OK, no Wes. But DA is great and we have 4 (FOUR) other WRs. Edleman is the best we will have seen him however you gauge him. But mostly Thompkins is the best second target at WR we have had since Randy Moss was effective. AND... Dobson will make some key plays this year as will Boyce. Deeper and better here.

OL = About the same but a little better as our two Ts have another year under them and Wendell is starting for his second year and so should be sharper. ALso depth looks solid. AND Cannon might just end up making the line even better at RG

Defense

DL - Much better when BOTh Vinny and Kely are in there. Plus Jones is not a rookie anymore. Plus Buchanan looks ike he can give pass rush off the bench and so keep Nink and Jones FRESH (no little thing). And remember when we had Carter off the bench ... pass rush was a bit better.

LB Corp = LIkely a little better with the growth of Spikes and especially Hightower plus maybe some new contributions from Collins. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HOW EXPERIENCE CAN TRANSLATE INTO A BETTER PLAYER.

DB = OF COURSE BETTER: Talib for a full year. Dennard will end up starting sooner than last year. Arrington knows his role. DMC at S. Some new young players could add some value. We could see some improvements from second year players as well.

So all in all it all looks better. The danger is, as it often is, in health going into the playoffs and any big game. If this team is as healthy as opponents in any playoff game including SB I think Pats should be either even money or favorite. Initial concerns about Denver and SF. Ravens an unknown at start of year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No spin required. BB says he makes moves because they are in the best interest of the team. There could be a half dozen reasons why he thinks that. Unlike you, I don't try to spin and answer why. But the FACT remains, TT outplayed Mallet in the last pre-season game. LMAO@U

Keep bringing it. I'm feeling frisky. I got some free board time on my hands now that dumbkoff is on ignore.

If Tebow was so good why not keep him AND Mallett on the roster?  It's not like we haven't kept 3 QBs before. 

[/QUOTE]

There are difficulties going on with the TE position at the moment. I'm not going to spin like you do, but it could be that an extra TE seems more of a need at the moment to BB than a 3rd QB. Also, Mallet is the incumbent and a high draft pick. The LAST thing BB needs right now is to showcase yet another high draft pick bust with some major fails already on display.

I really don't like speculation in a discussion of the facts. But I thought I might offer a couple of alternatives to your warped view.

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is Gronk and is coming back. Any player on any team can get hurt this year so I do not see Gronk as anything but a BIG plus. I would not trade him for any other TE. 

But I also think you underestimate Sudfeld. He has the best hands of any TE we have had in a while except MAYBE Gronk. He is a rookie and will make mistakes. He is not a big time blocker... certainly not at this stage. But he is a real weapon in the passing game. DO not underestimate him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is Gronk and is coming back. Any player on any team can get hurt this year so I do not see Gronk as anything but a BIG plus. I would not trade him for any other TE. 

But I also think you underestimate Sudfeld. He has the best hands of any TE we have had in a while except MAYBE Gronk. He is a rookie and will make mistakes. He is not a big time blocker... certainly not at this stage. But he is a real weapon in the passing game. DO not underestimate him.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree on Gronk. And Sudfeld. I'm just saying the current injury situation to Gronk and Sudfeld's lack of seasoning may have prompted BB to save a spot for an extra TE rather than keep a 3rd QB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

No...I don't think that the roster is overall better than it's been over the past three years. Here's why:

I. OFFENSE:

1.) QB: The 33 year old Tom Brady is likely better than the 36 year old Tom; (-) I think TB might have his most efficient year ever. Reports say he is more patient with his receivers. I do not think there is any reason to make this -... i suspect a +

2.) RB: The underrated Danny Woodhead is gone. Still, the 2013 RB corps may be the most talented that BB has had, over the past three years; (+) Agree. but I would make this an especially strong case as I think the running game will be very strong.

3.) OL: The overall depth on the OL was perhaps better in years past. But, Marcus Cannon has improved. OG Brian Waters was an excellent free agent acquisition in 2011. Sebastien Vollmer was healthier in previous seasons. But, center Ryan Wendel really stepped up last year, and is likely to continue his fine play. LT Nate Solder is certainly better now than he was three years ago...and may be ready to claim a spot in the pro-bowl. Both Logan Mankins and Dan Connelly were healthier in the past. (E) Agree

4.) TEs: With Gronk still recovering from injury and AH in jail, no way that the Pats are currently better at TE than they were during the past three years; (-) I have to disagree because there have been a lot of times when we have not had the two on the field at the same time. I would say Gronk is Gronk and so a wash. But also I believe Sudfeld has better hands than AH... maybe much better. And while he is no GronK blocking he is likely better than AH blocking... So I think we will be better there in the end! 

5.) WR: No Wes Welker is quite a loss. Though we all believe that Danny Armendola will adequately replace him, Danny has yet to show us that he can stay healthy, and get the job done throughout the 16 game schedule. For example: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748026/wednesdays-pats-bills-practice-report?ex_cid=espnapi_public .  The rookies have potential, but are complete unknowns. Aaron Dobson appears to be a disappointment. The Pats could have, and should have drafted WR Markus Wheaton, who ended up with Pittsburgh, instead. Could this be the second coming of Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace? Hope I'm wrong;  (-) Losing We is a big deal. But (1) DA is special and (2) You do not even MENTION KT. KT will I believe be a key target all year from game 1 and will be the best second target WR since Randy Moss was still productive here. Plus Dobson does not appear to be a disappointment at all. I am quite surprised you think that. I do not expect him to outplay KT this year but that is because KT is a revelation. KT might be our next Branch! And Boyce will add some value.. maybe more than Stallworth in 2007. And Edelman, though you cant count on his health will be at his peak to date... whatever level you set that at.

II. DEFENSE:

1.) DE: The addition of Chandler Jones helps, as does the improvement of Rob Ninkovich. I like the potential of Mike Buchanan. (+) Agree

2.) DT: Vince Wilfolk is now on the wrong side of 30. Tommy Kelly has talent. But, at age 32, can he last a full season? Lack of quality depth behind these two is a major concern. (-)THe problen with your "-" is that the depth at DT last year was BAD. I did not ike Deadrisk or Love at all. Kelly is a real player. He will clearly make a real difference. I agree about depth. But we did not have it last year in terms of quality and maybe Armstead comes on around mid season and adds some value off the bench

3.) LBs: The strength of this team. The 2013 group appears to be the best LB corp that the Pats have had, since 2003-04. (+) Agree. Some will undervalue the experience factor for younger players especially Spikes and most especially Hightower. Hope Collins adds some value.

4.) CB: Having Aqib Talib for a full season helps.Other than that, it's the same old scrubs as back-ups. Alfonzo Denard may be a step-up, if only he could stay out of Nebraska. (+)Agree

5.) Safety: FS Devin McCourty has improved at this position, after gaining some experience. He should be better in 2013. But, SS is a complete joke. The Pats were better off with the injury prone Patrick Chung, than they are with the stiffs they have manning the position this season. BB gets a big fat "F" for failing to shore up this position in the off-season. Adrian Wilson?? Pleeeaaasssseee!! (-). Why "-" when SS was an issue these last years anyway. DMC will be good when playing his spot. Talib here for a whole year. Dennard shold be starting more games than last year. You may not love the depth or the SSs but this is the best we have had going into opening day.

So...overall, the Pats are worse in 2013, than they were over the past three years.    

So ... overll, I really have to differ with you significantly. I do not expect things to be ALL rosey. But I think you are in some cases missing new talent (Sudfeld for example) and in some cases missing experience here and some potentialy for new players. In some cases it is also that being lacking now is no less than the pass 3 years anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

2011 starting roster looks better to me.  Waters & Andre Carter all pros.  Mike Wright.  Healthy Gronk.  Welker.  Key players with years of experience together.

RBs - a wash.   2013 would be better if they get the ball into Vareen's hands more often. 

QB - older not better

TE - Hern & heathly Gronk > rookie & recovering Gronk

DBs - a wash.  Opponents still find the weakest link and exploit him.

DL - 2011 edge due to depth & Carter & Mike Wright.

WR - unknown if 2013 rookies can cope with starting CB press coverage.  Welker and Branch were very in tune with Brady.  New guys could develop this.  Or not. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

tp   -  port

I guess I am still closer to Port

TP   I look forward to your weekly recaps -Helps me as i am in Nj. I will only see the jets in the First 3 or 4 games.
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sorry is this still a question?  I mean we've all come to an agreement that health is the biggest factor, that is without question.  But suppose life was like a video game and you could turn the injuries off, the Patriots would be the best team on the game, especially after week one when they update the player rankings.

QB's; better, Mallet more experienced.

RB's; better, sorry but an older wiser Ridley, Bolden, Vereen and Blount is better, more talented than 2011.

WR's; 2011 we've had an old folks home and a reality show at receiver, and Gronk got hurt.  

Now Thompkins looks like Brandon Lloyd was supposed to, the kid runs routes like Troy Brown but he's bigger.  Brady calls him 1A, no joke, that's his nickname, the kid is a fundamentals freak, he runs every route and fights for every ball.  Dobson is a jump ball burner, he is tall, fast and has huge mitts, he looked really good in preseason running underneath routes and coming back for the ball, I swear they might cut him loose on day one, if all he does is run fly routes Tommy can pretend he is Randy Moss and the kid will go get it. Boyce is a bowling ball of muscle slot receiver who also happens to run a 4.3... I'm having trouble seeing the problem or choosing which one I'm most excited about because I think they'll all blow up at the same time.

OL; better, a lot better.  Reason?  Healthy Cannon, the guy wins because he is too big to fail, he's the biggest guy on the field AT ALL TIMES.  Everyone else that was here in 2011 who matters is still here, and healthy.  Solder is more experienced and bulkier, Vollmer and Mankins are two of the NFL's best at their positions and are healthy.  We have such versatility and depth at O Line now, it's scary.

TE; Aaron Hernandez was a fullback, we can make up his production with our explosive new receivers and our tight ends.  Gronk has had this back injury since college and finally got it fixed, his arm hopefully is fixed but that is a concern.  Sudfeld looks like a great pickup.  Huey has another year in the system and his starting means we are stronger and tougher then the serial killer.  Add a huge 6th Olineman, blocking TE and you have your roster, if something happens Fells and Ballard may be back and/or some of that money we're holding will come in handy.

DT; Much better, the addition of Kelly and two fresh backups with Armstead waiting in the wings is so much better than we've had it since the last days of Vince and the Warren Bros.  Our defense will be better, the main reason why will this group.

OLB; the most promising looking 2nd year defensive end/OLB in the game with a championship pedigree in his family another year under his belt and bigger, Nincovich who beats guys who have 50-60 pounds on him, Buchannon is fast and exciting, Bequette is defensive end sized but linebacker mobile.  Hightower can play here if need be and Jaime Collins might make a fearful sight coming off the edge.

ILB; Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher, Beauharnais is great depth, add the two linebacker corps together and you probably won't find a better unit in the NFL after this year.

Corners; really Talib, Dennard with Arrington at his strength in the slot, a promising rookie Ryan and room for one is so much better than 2011 it's not even funny.

Safeties; McCourty might lead the NFL in INT's this year, I have no reason for saying this other than it's a hunch and free safeties are usually stars of successful BB defenses via picks, anyone else remember Willie "big play" Clay?  Harmon, Tavon and Ebner will fill the SS spot, one will emerge.  Better than the uncertainty of 2011, the good news is we'll have a pass rush.  Better.

Special teams; wash or maybe better depending on Ryan, he's already as good as Mesko.

This isn't a debate, experience is the best teacher and we have a rebuilt team in their prime.  

Injury can ruin any team, but if healthy, I would choose this team every time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree with just about all that wozzy, but do you really think Dobson is fast. What i noticed is that he struggled in preseason and was behind because he looks to have only average speed for WR. He is taller, but he is no Randy. He looked pretty pedestrian and I think KT is more of a deep threat along with Boyce. I see Dobson being the jump ball in the endzone guy, maybe some sidelines routes like LLoyd because he doesnt look to seperate against the better Cbs. Atleast thats what my eyes told me.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No. I think something is in the works to bring TT back so his contract is not guaranteed.

If BB brought him in to compete with Mallet for the backup spot, that's ridiculous. Mallet has years in the system. TT was just learning the system. And in the end he outplayed Mallet. Fact.

None of Tebow's contract was guaranteed.  What are you talking about?  Tebow didn't have to beat out Mallett to earn a spot.  I bet BB would have carried 3 QBs if TT showed anything in camp, but he didn't.  What part of 21 points in 19 possessions do you not understand?  That is beyond inept.  There are no facts backing your claim that Tebow outplayed Mallett.  Only spin.

I believe the term is called "vested veteran". They can get their full pay if they are cut after the first game. TT may qualify for that.

What part of TT outplaying Mallet in the 4th pre-season game don't you understand? Did you expect him to outplay a guy in the system for years from the first day of camp??????

TT did show something in camp. He showed by the 4th pre-season game that he was better than Mallet. Fact.

You might want to understand the difference of meaning between "in the end" and "at the end" or "by the end".  Expecting others to understand your version of the English language is not the rest of the board's responsibility.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

At the end of the day ... that's what babe does for Tebow ... he makes a giant pile of excuses for every stat, every ct, trade, etc. Then he magnifies things that often have little to do with TT (like team record) outside of a meaningful context. 

At the end of the day I state facts about Tebow.

Fact: His stats and record are comparable to Luck's. He won a playoff game and Luck went one and out. You spin the context on that, not me.

Example: You claim his record with Denver was largely because of the "team". Yet that "team" was a miserable 1-4 with Orton, a decent NFL starter. Yet Tebow had 6 game winning drives in his 11 starts in 2011. Yet you ignore the abysmal support he was given by management in both Denver and NY. You cherry pick context to suit your spin. That's why I simply go with facts.

Fact: He outplayed Mallet after getting the camp under his belt learning the new system. You spin the context on that. not me.

Example: You claim he was playing the dregs of the Giants team, yet leave out that he had the dregs of the Pats team helping him while Mallet played with the better support. More cherry picked context to support spin.

The facts speak for themselves.

[/QUOTE]
    So, given your facts, are you saying that Tebow is better than both Luck and Mallet?  Otherwise, what is the point of your facts that you state?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree with just about all that wozzy, but do you really think Dobson is fast. What i noticed is that he struggled in preseason and was behind because he looks to have only average speed for WR. He is taller, but he is no Randy. He looked pretty pedestrian and I think KT is more of a deep threat along with Boyce. I see Dobson being the jump ball in the endzone guy, maybe some sidelines routes like LLoyd because he doesnt look to seperate against the better Cbs. Atleast thats what my eyes told me.

Dobson ran a 4.37 at the Marshall Pro Day, that's fast anyway you look at it.  Pair that with 6'3" height and a 35" vertical and that amounts to a good downfield threat.  I thought Dobson looked good in preseason, he got less reps than Thompkins who has picked up the offense very easily but  he ran good routes, showed he could run underneath routes which I think is what they were looking to see from him in preseason, they probably already know he can stretch the field.  

Answer quick without looking: Thompkins led all Patriots in preseason catches, who was #2?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Dobson ran a 4.37 at the Marshall Pro Day, that's fast anyway you look at it.  Pair that with 6'3" height and a 35" vertical and that amounts to a good downfield threat.  I thought Dobson looked good in preseason, he got less reps than Thompkins who has picked up the offense very easily but  he ran good routes, showed he could run underneath routes which I think is what they were looking to see from him in preseason, they probably already know he can stretch the field.  

Answer quick without looking: Thompkins led all Patriots in preseason catches, who was #2?

Well I dont put much stock into pro days and heres why. Year after Year I see guys have horrible 40s at the combine and make excuses. You show up a month later to THEIR school and all of a sudden they are a whole second faster. So sorry i dont buy his school time, but Id like to see his combine. Game speed and timed speed are different and Im sorry, I DO NOT see 4.3 speed with this kid. I mean Boyce runs a 4.3! U think Dobson can hang with him???  Listen, I like the guy, he did do some work underneath, but the only way I see him beating someone downfield is off of playaction. Chad Jackson was a legit 4.3 guy who never looked that fast on the field and he was faster to me than Dobson.

as far as the 2nd leading WR, I couldnt even guess as it seems each game they were trying to look at certain guys but I will go with either vareen/dobson/amendola.  But Im not saying he cant be productive. I didnt mean he struggled as a WR in preseaon, I mean he struggled to get deep and make any big plays which may be by design,but if folks are expecting that, I think they may be disapointed. He is gonna get a lot of back shoulder throws like LLoyd got which is what u do when  a guy is all over you. He does have some serious skills cathing the ball and his vert will help. But I want KT going Deep, he is fast. Even on Madden, Dobson is listed at 6'2, not 6'3 like i said and his speed his 87, KTs is 91 and Boyce is 93. Thats done by experts. So I aint the only one who saw it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

No...I don't think that the roster is overall better than it's been over the past three years. Here's why:

I. OFFENSE:

1.) QB: The 33 year old Tom Brady is likely better than the 36 year old Tom; (-)

2.) RB: The underrated Danny Woodhead is gone. Still, the 2013 RB corps may be the most talented that BB has had, over the past three years; (+)

3.) OL: The overall depth on the OL was perhaps better in years past. But, Marcus Cannon has improved. OG Brian Waters was an excellent free agent acquisition in 2011. Sebastien Vollmer was healthier in previous seasons. But, center Ryan Wendel really stepped up last year, and is likely to continue his fine play. LT Nate Solder is certainly better now than he was three years ago...and may be ready to claim a spot in the pro-bowl. Both Logan Mankins and Dan Connelly were healthier in the past. (E) 

4.) TEs: With Gronk still recovering from injury and AH in jail, no way that the Pats are currently better at TE than they were during the past three years; (-)

5.) WR: No Wes Welker is quite a loss. Though we all believe that Danny Armendola will adequately replace him, Danny has yet to show us that he can stay healthy, and get the job done throughout the 16 game schedule. For example: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748026/wednesdays-pats-bills-practice-report?ex_cid=espnapi_public .  The rookies have potential, but are complete unknowns. Aaron Dobson appears to be a disappointment. The Pats could have, and should have drafted WR Markus Wheaton, who ended up with Pittsburgh, instead. Could this be the second coming of Brandon Tate over Mike Wallace? Hope I'm wrong;  (-) 

II. DEFENSE:

1.) DE: The addition of Chandler Jones helps, as does the improvement of Rob Ninkovich. I like the potential of Mike Buchanan. (+) 

2.) DT: Vince Wilfolk is now on the wrong side of 30. Tommy Kelly has talent. But, at age 32, can he last a full season? Lack of quality depth behind these two is a major concern. (-)

3.) LBs: The strength of this team. The 2013 group appears to be the best LB corp that the Pats have had, since 2003-04. (+)

4.) CB: Having Aqib Talib for a full season helps.Other than that, it's the same old scrubs as back-ups. Alfonzo Denard may be a step-up, if only he could stay out of Nebraska. (+)

5.) Safety: FS Devin McCourty has improved at this position, after gaining some experience. He should be better in 2013. But, SS is a complete joke. The Pats were better off with the injury prone Patrick Chung, than they are with the stiffs they have manning the position this season. BB gets a big fat "F" for failing to shore up this position in the off-season. Adrian Wilson?? Pleeeaaasssseee!! (-).

So...overall, the Pats are worse in 2013, than they were over the past three years.    

Tex...  Once again your credibility is taking a hit as you failed to see the liability Chung was on the field ( chung being injured actually helped the team by giving reps to young guys who needed to develop like T. Wilson (2  picks) and who actually hit people). 

Also you dis wilfork and Brady, who are 2 elite intelligent players who show no  drop off other than in your mind. 

Third, you forget troubled boy Hernandez was gimpy injured and dropsie prone for most of his time here.  A young bigger guy with sure hands is an obvious upgrade especially if he stays healthy.

If you're going to dis someone for age it would be the departed Welker, who is a lot slower now and caught some balls last night but also dropped a punt that could have been more costly if ravens were not such paper tigers. 

Younger is better in the NFL.  Especially at receiver and running back provided you have some veteran leadership... 

Both these groups are a dangerous mix of guys in their primes along with hungry youth, as opposed to the stale white midget offense (Welker and woodhead) that was a nice novelty when they burst onto the scene but not the core of a championship offense like they became. If Welker were 2" taller he catches that ball against jints... Pats win SB.

Your negative spin is tiresome... Here's some advice.  Go pour a half full glass of cold beer and drink it down and notice how it's a lot more satisfying than sucking on the half empty hot air that fills up the rest of your glass.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

There is fast and there is football fast.  Case in point Dez Bryant ran a 4.52 at his pro day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Correct me if I am wrong but last I looked the Patriots have 13 rookies on the 53 man roster, many who will have significant playing time and expectations, and 7 rookies on the practice squad.  Can we expect a SB victory with this?  I would laugh if it was any other team.  Than k goodness for TFB, he is the great equalizer.  But still that that's asking a lot even from a HOF QB.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Correct me if I am wrong but last I looked the Patriots have 13 rookies on the 53 man roster, many who will have significant playing time and expectations, and 7 rookies on the practice squad.  Can we expect a SB victory with this?  I would laugh if it was any other team.  Than k goodness for TFB, he is the great equalizer.  But still that that's asking a lot even from a HOF QB.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Tfb...  I think we need to embrace the young hungry atmosphere this club is creating.  With spikes setting the tone for the defensive guys, and Brady firing up the offense, this team can be that perfect mix of veterans and young energy.

for example, the 2007 team was loaded with veterans ... Seau, moss, bruschi,  etc.  In the end they lost to some young hungry players, (tuck, uminyura, kiwanuka, Eli).

If BB and Brady can channel this young energy and there is noone better at it...  Pats will roll this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Well I dont put much stock into pro days and heres why. Year after Year I see guys have horrible 40s at the combine and make excuses. You show up a month later to THEIR school and all of a sudden they are a whole second faster. So sorry i dont buy his school time, but Id like to see his combine. Game speed and timed speed are different and Im sorry, I DO NOT see 4.3 speed with this kid. I mean Boyce runs a 4.3! U think Dobson can hang with him???  Listen, I like the guy, he did do some work underneath, but the only way I see him beating someone downfield is off of playaction. Chad Jackson was a legit 4.3 guy who never looked that fast on the field and he was faster to me than Dobson.

as far as the 2nd leading WR, I couldnt even guess as it seems each game they were trying to look at certain guys but I will go with either vareen/dobson/amendola.  But Im not saying he cant be productive. I didnt mean he struggled as a WR in preseaon, I mean he struggled to get deep and make any big plays which may be by design,but if folks are expecting that, I think they may be disapointed. He is gonna get a lot of back shoulder throws like LLoyd got which is what u do when  a guy is all over you. He does have some serious skills cathing the ball and his vert will help. But I want KT going Deep, he is fast. Even on Madden, Dobson is listed at 6'2, not 6'3 like i said and his speed his 87, KTs is 91 and Boyce is 93. Thats done by experts. So I aint the only one who saw it.

Dobson is 4.4 speed which, while not Randy Moss speed, is as good as TO or Chad Johnson in their prime.  

I think preseason is about working on weaknesses not strengths, Dobson was our 2nd leading receiver, they used him a lot in the 2nd preseason game (I think?) then let him assimilate as they showcased other guys.  

I'm certainly not saying Madden ratings are perfect because they're far from it, all rookies start out at zero basically.  Thompkins ran a 4.46 at the combine and is pretty fast himself, he is also two inches shorter and quicker in four directions, but if you're talking inline speed he wouldn't likely win in a foot race.  

I don't know what you guys saw in preseason but Dobson looked like he could run every route once he gets the offense down, the guy made a variety of catches, seemed to have a rapport with Brady and Mallet.  I won't knock one of our receivers just to praise the other, I'm excited about the group, but for a long time people have been clamoring for a big receiver, Belichick himself was trying for years until he found Moss, now we have one, if all he turns out to be is Moss-lite than I'll be happy.

In combination with Thompkins who is a complete route runner, Boyce a slot nightmare, Amendola who has already replaced Welker (sorry Welker fans) and the rest we're looking pretty good. There may be hiccups along the way, but we're better off than with a stable of old, ailing receivers.

Sections
Shortcuts