Do You Trust the Police?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Do You Trust the Police?

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/tweet-dennard-had-1-2-beers-night-arrest

All unsubstantiated of course, but if true it wouldn't surprise me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Do You Trust the Police?

Of course he was targeted. Cops don't like it if you mess with cops.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Babe is right. Police are human, and human nature is such that it could have happened. I too am an african american male, and there are some situations Dennard simply should not put himself in, and this situation was one of those times. I tell my son all the time, in situations like this, my son is the person that is wrong, as he SHOULD have forseen people would react a certain way, police or non police. his word against his word...no one wins....especially the african american man. bottom line, he showed poor jusgement, and will pay a penalty in $$$ and games...whether he is guilty or not

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

.....bottom line, he showed poor jusgement, and will pay a penalty in $$$ and games...whether he is guilty or not

I'm not sure he will miss games. DUI by itself does not call for a suspension, just a fine. They might suspend him for extenuating circumstances, which in Dennard's case could be if the court determines that he violated his probation. That could be considered a personal conduct policy issue and subject him to a suspension of up to four games (probably two).

But the DUI with nothing more is not a suspendable offense, if I understand the rules.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

.....bottom line, he showed poor jusgement, and will pay a penalty in $$$ and games...whether he is guilty or not

I'm not sure he will miss games. DUI by itself does not call for a suspension, just a fine. They might suspend him for extenuating circumstances, which in Dennard's case could be if the court determines that he violated his probation. That could be considered a personal conduct policy issue and subject him to a suspension of up to four games (probably two).

But the DUI with nothing more is not a suspendable offense, if I understand the rules.

I agree, but think he will be hit up for the probabtion violation...I have to assume in a he said/he said (police one of the he said) the judge rules against the individual, esp if the police are stating the individual purposely did not blow hard enough to register a reading. if he is found guilty, he could face jail time, or lengthier probabtion and jail time to be served. in that case, I fully expect Goodell to act

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

My experience is they are more an organized crime organization than a law enforcement organization.   Small towns, not so bad.   Larger cities where unions and nepotism kick-in - really bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't believe many cops are corrupt. Some are, but most are well intentioned. Human, yes. They hold grudges and can be as petty as anybody else.

The policing business has changed over the years though. It's more militaristic, more distant from the regular folks, more arrogant. It's not the cop who you know by name walking a beat or patrolling in a squad car now.

There are literally thousands of SWAT teams now, where there used to be just a handful in big cities.  The weaponry ordinary police departments have now is comparable to what the military has. They have armored personnel carriers for pete's sake, and drones they use against Americans. And government agencies, like the Dept. of Education and the EPA, have SWAT teams. Never mind the arsenal that Homeland Security has assembled.

Miss a student loan payment and you might to get your door knocked down and get hauled off by the feds in cuffs.

The real corruption is what's happening to the Constitution.  The times, they are a changin...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Bottom line... he better be starting opposite Talib. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

I think the bottom line is we really wont know truthfully what happened that night...and the other bootom line is Dennard most likely is looking at 3-4 game suspension, and maybe jail time

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

I think the bottom line is we really wont know truthfully what happened that night...and the other bootom line is Dennard most likely is looking at 3-4 game suspension, and maybe jail time

[/QUOTE]

Why suspension and jail time if they can not prove a DUI?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

The law is enforced by cops...the law is not the same thing as justice...always remember that..the cops enforce the law passed by the legislature and interpreted by the courts...if the two things, the law and justice, intersect, it is almost serendipitous....you don't get justice from the police and the courts...you get law and law enforcement, PERIOD...

The police are human, subject to the same foibles as the rest of humanity..I wouldn't want that job, it's dangerous and no matter what you do you'll be criticized...but yes, they can and do target certain people and will profile just as often as other people do...and as with any human evdeavor, you have different types of people, some more sick than others, who make up the police force...

Just don't screw up and you most likely will never have to worry about them....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

"I think the bottom line is we really wont know truthfully what happened that night"

I reiterate...  he better be starting opposite Talib. 

I wasn't there when he punched a cop in street clothes, nor did I see him drink a few beers and decide to drive.  Bad decisions across the board but is strike 2, not 3.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Here are my thoughts:

1. He has pleaded not guilty in this matter.  He did take a breatholizer test.  Unless the device has a gauge to measure the pressure, it is a judgement call by the cop that "he didn't blow hard enough".  If that were truly the case, the cop could have ordered a blood test be taken.  In any event, I see even a half-a$$ed lawyer getting him off on this one -- and he can afford more that such a lawyer.
    2. I think that #1 is the reason why the Pats didn't do anything.
    3. He should have stayed far, far away from that town.  He knew they were out to get him.  Sheer stupidity.
    4. If he had to go to that town, stay the hell away from a bar. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    5. If he had to go to the bar, have someone else drive or, at the very least, be a witness that he was sober and DID blow hard into the breatholizer.
    6. The real danger is a revocation of his parole.  That would mean prison and a loss to the Pats of at least one season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

If I were a high school senior trying to pick a school to play football, it would not be inLincoln Nebraska.  Not after this fiasco.  

Come to think of it, not before this fiasco either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The police are human; they will target certain individuals unfairly but it is up to the individual to not put himself in these situations where he can be easily targeted and taken advantage of. Dennard should not have put himself back in a bar in Lincoln even if he had only 1-2 drinks. It is like waving a red flag at a bull. I am hopeful he has learned the lesson the hard way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

One must remember the laws of probability. It’s within the reason of  95% certainty that all behavior is spread throughout all of society. It is 95% certain that some plumbers are untrustworthy. It is 95% certain that some teachers are untrustworthy....you get the point. Therefore it is 95% certain that some police are untrustworthy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Well, well, well. More bad news for the Anti-BBites in here who think Dennard is some kind of a criminal and BB is ruining our team. lmao

Yeah, he's no criminal.  When he's serving 30 days, he'll be an innocent law abiding citizen.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would also add that Dennard should know better and be on guard when he is in Lincoln. As soon as his case and public service concludes he would be best advised to stay in MA or home in GA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

to reiterate, I think Dennard is in trouble not for the DUI, but for the probabtion violation. He violated parole, and it looks like this is coming down to a he said/he said, with one of the he saids a cop. I tend to think the judge sides with the police.

Dennard to not see jail time for DUI, but violating parole...might get his 30 days now instead of after the season...might get 60 days. Its not the judge that is going to dole out the harshest sentence, it is Goodell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The law is enforced by cops...the law is not the same thing as justice...always remember that..the cops enforce the law passed by the legislature and interpreted by the courts...if the two things, the law and justice, intersect, it is almost serendipitous....you don't get justice from the police and the courts...you get law and law enforcement, PERIOD...

The police are human, subject to the same foibles as the rest of humanity..I wouldn't want that job, it's dangerous and no matter what you do you'll be criticized...but yes, they can and do target certain people and will profile just as often as other people do...and as with any human evdeavor, you have different types of people, some more sick than others, who make up the police force...

Don't screw up. Agree. But, Dennard happens to be black and was apparently made an example of by the Lincoln, NE Police Department.  The reports they were having "issues" in the part of town from the April 2012 incident. But, Dennard wasn't one causing ANY problems according to the testimony by the victim on the stand. So....

I am surprised that the people of Lincoln aren't asking why the police are sending non-uniformed police into crowds outside of bars at 2 AM.   That's my first question for the taxpayers there, because that sounds like a bad idea for many reasons.

Do you see undercovers on Gillette's grounds? No. You see staties on horses and that's enough to keep people in check.

I have been to MANY a college town in this country from Ann Arbor, to Boston, to Iowa City, Springfield, MO, Madison, WI, you name it across the Midwest, Mid Atlantic, SE or NE and I've probably drank at an establishment there over the past decade, even late at night.

I've lived in cities and never seen undercovers. You see a police presence, either driving or even walking around neighborhoods and it seems to work very well.

I've never seen undercover cop activity in these places our outside where they're making arrests or shaking people down. It's just so simple. SHow the force and that's how you keep the peace.

[/QUOTE]

Undercovers?...maybe because it's a college town they are more like "narcs" looking for drugs or  drug activity....there were several similar incidents in that area of town with college kids, so Dennard's timing sort of stunk that night, he had a few and tried to come to the aid of a friend as I recall...I wonder if the undercover let people know he was a cop before he got beat down by Dennard? I'm sure Dennard isn't THAT stupid that he'd put the wood to a uniformed cop witout a real reason, aside from him being completely blitzed on al-kee-hall.....after all, he was just a dumb college kid, pro draft or not...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

to reiterate, I think Dennard is in trouble not for the DUI, but for the probabtion violation. He violated parole, and it looks like this is coming down to a he said/he said, with one of the he saids a cop. I tend to think the judge sides with the police.

Dennard to not see jail time for DUI, but violating parole...might get his 30 days now instead of after the season...might get 60 days. Its not the judge that is going to dole out the harshest sentence, it is Goodell

It's a chicken and egg thing. If he gets off on the DUI charge, there may be ultimately no probation violation.  The judge could declare a probation violation for the arrest, but I think that would be reversed if he is found innocent of the DUI.  

The other thing I'd argue to Goodell if I was his rep is that there'd be no probation violation if it weren't for something that happened before he was subject to the NFL's jurisdiction (the original arrest).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

1. He has pleaded not guilty in this matter.  He did take a breatholizer test.  Unless the device has a gauge to measure the pressure, it is a judgement call by the cop that "he didn't blow hard enough".  If that were truly the case, the cop could have ordered a blood test be taken.  In any event, I see even a half-a$$ed lawyer getting him off on this one -- and he can afford more that such a lawyer.
    2. I think that #1 is the reason why the Pats didn't do anything.
    3. He should have stayed far, far away from that town.  He knew they were out to get him.  Sheer stupidity.
    4. If he had to go to that town, stay the hell away from a bar. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    5. If he had to go to the bar, have someone else drive or, at the very least, be a witness that he was sober and DID blow hard into the breatholizer.
    6. The real danger is a revocation of his parole.  That would mean prison and a loss to the Pats of at least one season.

Regarding point 3, his girlfriend lives there.  Maybe family too.  Staying away from a town you call home is not really reasonable.

Regarding points 4 and 5, according to the tweets he was NOT at a bar.  He had 1-2 at home, then 4 hours later drove to his girlfriend's house.  IF this is true, I don't think there's any person among us who would even think twice about doing that, regardless of one's relationship with the local PD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha.  Better said: "The law is <selectively> <arbitrarily> enforced by the cops."  And <selectively> <arbitrarily> not enforced by the cops.   And violations are manufactured by the cops.  

Has little to nothing to do with screwing-up. Once you get embroiled in this kind of situation with a cop it's life changing and you see the true face of police deparments.  This from a middle aged business owner.   Sure has resulted in looking at what blacks put-up with in a whole different light.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

In response to expertmike's comment:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha.  Better said: "The law is <selectively> <arbitrarily> enforced by the cops."  And <selectively> <arbitrarily> not enforced by the cops.   And violations are manufactured by the cops.  

Has little to nothing to do with screwing-up. Once you get embroiled in this kind of situation with a cop it's life changing and you see the true face of police deparments.  This from a middle aged business owner.   Sure has resulted in looking at what blacks put-up with in a whole different light.

Hey, I agree with ya, been there, got the freekin' frackin' T-Shirt...don't mess with members of the Brotherhood (police union)...they wanna get ya, they will....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Here's a case in point. The kid was barely over the legal limit. The off duty just about double. The off duty cop was on a bike driving 75 in a 30-35 zone. The kid says he did stop but when he went the off duty cop at 75 mph closed on him in a second.

Yet the system is working day and night to destroy this kid's life. I don't condone drinking and driving. I do object to the Cities conduct in this case.

Make no mistake that Dennard was targeted.

http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_23753917/plea-deal-falls-through-case-involving-lowell-cops