Dobson The Biggest Disappointment From Last Year For WR Corp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Dobson The Biggest Disappointment From Last Year For WR Corp?

Glad he is getting better.

"

As for the injury itself, Dobson remains optimistic with the start of training camp looming on July 24.

“It’s doing better, man,” he said. “It’s getting better every day. Every week it’s getting better, so we’re just going to see where it’s at by the time camp starts.”

Dobson, who caught 37 passes last season for 519 yards and four touchdowns, said he’s made an effort to keep his physical limitations from holding back his overall progress.

“You’ve got to keep yourself focused on what your job is,” he said. “I know I can’t go out there and physically do it, but mentally you’ve got to be there. That’s the biggest part is just being there mentally because it’s easy for yourself to slip. So you’ve just got to stay on top of yourself and be responsible, really, and do your job.”

Getting back to that job is a matter of when, not if, and Dobson is itching to get back at it.

“I’m excited,” he said. “I’m going into my second year, you know. Just another year added so I’m just very excited to come into this team: great organization, great coaches, great people. So I’m just excited to start it again.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/07/aaron_dobson_focuses_on_return" rel="nofollow">http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/07/aaron_dobson_focuses_on_return

-----------------

Altho expectations for Dobson as a rookie WR was probably too high, I'm on the fence as to whether he was the biggest disappointment of all the WRs from last years team.  With the media hyping him having no drops his senior year, I guess it was hard not to have higher expectations.  He was still a rookie, so maybe the expectations were unrealistic anyway.  I suppose one could argue that Amendola was more of a disappointment.

Hope Dobson heals up and any delays in practice/rehab won't hinder his second year leap.  We need more production from last year's rookie WRs; especially Dobson.

"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Dobson The Biggest Disappointment From Last Year For WR Corp?

Not at all.....? 

A disappointment? 

He was a rookie is a supposed tough system to learn. 

He had 500 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie. I know I'm grasping here, but Alshon Jeffery had a worse rookie year with more games played and look how he turned out. 

Im not saying Dobson is Jeffery 2.0 but he can certainly make a very big leap. 

Calling a rookie who had 500 a disappointment is tough to do.... You just can't expect amazing production from all rookies especially in this system

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Not at all.....? 

A disappointment? 

He had 500 yards and 4 TDs as a rookie. I know I'm grasping here, but Alshon Jeffery had a worse rookie year with more games played and look how he turned out. 

Calling a rookie who had 500 a disappointment is tough to do.... You just can't expect amazing production from all rookies especially in this system

It's hard to say what will be considered a successful season for Dobson in year 2.  If he can stay healthy, that will be priority #1 and considered successful in its own way.  Then it all depends on the health of others.  For instance, if Gronk, Edelman, Amendola all remain healthy with another WR getting some action then 50+ receptions and 700+ yards from Dobson would be successful in my eyes.  If others are injured then Dobson needs to put up 70 receptions, 800+ yards for me to consider him successful year 2. 

There were plenty of rookie WR's who had over 40 receptions and over 500 yards last season who were considered more successful then Dobson.  I really think Dobson should have had a better season then he did with the Gronk, Amendola injuries and Thompkins being inconsistent.  But then of course, Dobson's had his own injuries that hurt his numbers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

His numbers don't equal failure and his injuries are disappointing for everyone, but no way was Dobson a failure. I think this was also a product of Brady having almost an entirely new cast last year, Gronk was around only a few games and Edelman was a small peace in our old offense, because of this people expected Brady to turn Dobson into a monster who would collect 65+ catches 700+ yards and 6-8 TD's this year. Even in a full season of perfect health executing more than what Dobson gave you is asking a lot.

I really hope Dobson gets healthy and stays that way, because he has the talent to make this offense dangerous when adding Gronk, AD(who also needs to stay healthy) and Edelman in a full season of production. Dobson isn't the tallest or strongest WR, but he can make a huge impact on this team. You really can't label any player a label without giving him a fair chance and a few years of playing time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

A failure?  Hardly.  Potential? Quite a bit.  Health?  A question mark.  A successful season, IMO, for Dobson is a healthy one where he continues to make progress and contribute to team success. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think if you were disappointed by Dobson's rookie season, your expectations were too high.  I think he performed about how you'd expect for a second round pick. I'd say the same for Josh Boyce--his contributions were on par with what you'd expect from a fourth rounder.  Was Dobson's performance good enough for him to be considered a top-quality starting x receiver?  Not at all.  But if he had performed at that level, he would have far exceeded reasonable expectations.  Personally, I'm happy that he looks like he has some real potential to be a contributor and that he doesn't appear to be another Taylor Price or Chad Jackson.  My question for this year is whether he'll be able to turn into a solid starter or whether he'll be one of those Brandon Tate types--not a complete bust, but also not capable of being a quality starter or rotational player at the wide receiver position.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I was disappointed in Dobson last year. I thought he had a tough time finding separation. He had one great game against the Steelers last year. He had 2 touchdowns and over 100 yards. That game was half his touchdown production for the whole year. And 1/3 his receiving yardage. He caught another 40 yard touchdown against the Jets on his very first reception of the year. But that was a blown coverage and Dobson didn't have anybody within 10 yards of him. I hope he has a breakout year and lives up to the hype, but to be honest with you, Thompkins was ahead of Dobson at training camp and through the first half of the season until he hurt his hip. Once Thompkins got hurt he never got healthy for the rest of the season. They both should improve a great deal this year just being familiar with the offense. But I'm honestly expecting more from Thompkins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Except for the injury I thought Dobson had a typical rookie season in this offense. TB is very demanding of his receivers and expects them to be in certain spots on certain plays against certain defenses. I thought Dobson struggled catching the ball due to his focus on route running. He should be more comfortable in the offense this year and his route running should become more instinctive which will allow him to show the pass catching prowess he displayed in college.

For those of you who expect 100/1100  10 TD's I would caution you that in this offense those numbers would be pretty difficult to attain barring injuries to Edelman, Amendola and Gronk. I think to be realistic with everyone healthy a very good season for Dobson would be 70-80 catches, 700-800 yards and somewhere in the 8 TD range. Barring injuries those would be some very good numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think if you were disappointed by Dobson's rookie season, your expectations were too high.

This.

From an article written in the preseason last year about how expecting Dobson to replace Lloyd's production is fairly aggressive:

"Over the past five seasons, there have been 48 receivers drafted in the first two rounds. Brandon Lloyd's 2012 season?

#2 in Receptions [74] - Eddie Royal led rookies with 91 in 2008. Dwayne Bowe is 3rd with 70.

#6 in Yards [911] - DeSean Jackson posted 912. Justin Blackmon is next with 865.

#11 in Touchdowns [4] - Tied with Calvin Johnson and Sidney Rice.

So what does that mean? It means that if Dobson put up Lloyd's numbers as a rookie, he would have had one of the top five or six rookie seasons by a first or second round receiver of the past five years.

Think about that. If Dobson replaces Lloyd's production, he'll be amongst the likes of A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Percy Harvin, and Dwayne Bowe. Players that were drafted well within the first round.

Here are some other stats:

A.J. Green is the only rookie first/second rounder since 2007 to produce over 1000 yards. Calvin Johnson "only" produced 756.

Only 12 rookies (top 25%) produced over 50 receptions.

Only 7 rookies ( ~14%) produced 6 or more touchdowns."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The biggest disappointment for me with the WR corp wasn't the WR corp. It was Brady's new found inability to spread the ball around to all his receivers and fit the ball into the small windows he used to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I was a little disappointed in the number of dropped passes for a receiver who had a rep for good hands but that could just be because he was thinking too much out there and not able to totally concentrate on catching the ball.

Once he is healthy and knows the offense well enough to just go out there and play football and not have to think too much, I'm sure he'll be fine. 

Getting seperation will come also.  Too many things for a rookie to process before they get comfortable and are just able to play.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

His hands appear to be the only problem (plus the foot), he showed that physically he could get open deep and on the outside...inside too. He just looked nervous out there and I don't blame him - he became a focal point of this offense earlier than he should have. If he is healthy I expect him to catch 60-70 balls next season.

The disappointment to me was Amendola, because he did exactly what we all thought he would...get injured. Five minutes into the season this guy got hurt and it caused him to be ineffective the rest of the way, and he also got his clock cleaned, which further hindered him. He couldn't get separation, he dropped some key passes and didn't help the offense like a 7 million dollar per season player should. I admired his toughness to battle through some of his injuries, but the fact remains that is what you are going to get with this player...injuries. He should never of been signed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A failure?  Hardly.  Potential? Quite a bit.  Health?  A question mark.  A successful season, IMO, for Dobson is a healthy one where he continues to make progress and contribute to team success. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not at all.....? 

A disappointment? 

[/QUOTE]

It's hard to say what will be considered a successful season for Dobson in year 2.  If he can stay healthy, that will be priority #1 and considered successful in its own way.  Then it all depends on the health of others.  For instance, if Gronk, Edelman, Amendola all remain healthy with another WR getting some action then 50+ receptions and 700+ yards from Dobson would be successful in my eyes.  If others are injured then Dobson needs to put up 70 receptions, 800+ yards for me to consider him successful year 2. 

There were plenty of rookie WR's who had over 40 receptions and over 500 yards last season who were considered more successful then Dobson.  I really think Dobson should have had a better season then he did with the Gronk, Amendola injuries and Thompkins being inconsistent.  But then of course, Dobson's had his own injuries that hurt his numbers.

[/QUOTE]

Of course there are a good amount of WRs who have very solid rookie seasons but then there is also a good amount to struggle to be consistently good out there.

I really think Dobson's 500 yards is fine as a rookie because this system is apparently tough to learn and we've seen WR here get cut due to not bbeing able to pick it up. He also had to gain a rapport with Brady which I think he did fine a job of.

Also I think his level of competition he played in college may have made it harder for him to quickly pick up the pro game.

whatever the case, I think Dobson had a solid season in which he can build a lot off of and I think he's in line for 800 yards no matter who is healthy and who isn't this season. Hopefully he stays healthy and really makes strides

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Dobson did better than I expected for his rookie year.  Certainly not a disappointment. Let's hope he stays healthy.  I expect a leap from him this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Strictly speaking I say that Amendola was the most disappointing WR last year.  When healthy he showed flashes but he proved once again that he was fragile. Fortunately, JE stepped in seamlessly and took over.  Dobson was a mystery to me.  Even before his injury, I thought he looked too slow or indecisive for the X position.  Then when the ball got to him he had the jitters causing drops or double catches.  This was not how he was advertised.  I hope he has been in the playbook as some articles are suggesting.  I also wonder why his foot surgery was delayed.  He needs speed for his position and a balky foot is definitely bad news.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Strictly speaking I say that Amendola was the most disappointing WR last year.  When healthy he showed flashes but he proved once again that he was fragile. Fortunately, JE stepped in seamlessly and took over.  Dobson was a mystery to me.  Even before his injury, I thought he looked too slow or indecisive for the X position.  Then when the ball got to him he had the jitters causing drops or double catches.  This was not how he was advertised.  I hope he has been in the playbook as some articles are suggesting.  I also wonder why his foot surgery was delayed.  He needs speed for his position and a balky foot is definitely bad news.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think there was any WR who didn't have an injury last season; including Amendola.   I can't remember if he had his bell rung once or twice? Not sure if it's a good enough excuse to give him a pass or not. He started off well....and then, couldn't get on the same page as Brady the rest of the season. How much of that is due to DA not creating separation and running bad routes - or if Brady lost confidence in him and focused on Edelman as his #1 target - I don't know.

For me, Dobson was still more of a disappointment (not a failure - that was somebody else's words). For somebody who was reputed to have soft hands - he simply dropped too many. That being said; Dobson still seems to have the largest upside potential of all the rookie WRs from last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wasn't this the guy, last camp, people on this board were gushing about never dropping a ball in college?  What I seen was a frail pants poooper.  This guy needs to turn water into wine this year to avoid the Bust label.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wasn't this the guy, last camp, people on this board were gushing about never dropping a ball in college?  What I seen was a frail pants poooper.  This guy needs to turn water into wine this year to avoid the Bust label.

[/QUOTE]

Yes

Sections
Shortcuts