Dobson's Progress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Dobson's Progress

I am not trying to start a flame war about BB the GM, just wanted to show a comparison of the FA wideouts that may have been an option instead of drafting Dobson. To be up front I was an advocate of going after jennings but I am perfectly happy about the how this receiving stable is configured with the obvious injury caveat.

TARGETS    REC    YDS     AVG    TD's   YPG   YAC   REC 1st D's   20+ Catch

Wallace -        72           36      480      13.3     1        60      130         23                   23

Jennings -       55           31      392      12.6     2        49      158         17                   17

Dobson -         60           31      454      14.6     4        57      133         21                    5

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Dobson's Progress

Thanks for posting. The fins are sure not getting much of a return on their Wallace investment. 

Glad they overpaid for him. Dobson is quietly having a decent year. And, he hasn't come close to peaking this year. After the normal rookie hurdles, he has stepped it up over the past 2 weeks.

with 6 games to go, we could see him easily eclipse 50 catches and 900 yards with 8 TDs. Not bad for a rook and a 2nd rounder at that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I never wanted Wallace. Thought Jennings would be good fit but too much money. In defense of these wideouts though, they dont have Qbs throwing to them like brady. If Wallace was here, he is much better, ditto for Jennings. We are ok though so no complaints here. I just feel they should have retained LLoyd who was already signed cheap and knew the system

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm pretty happy wiyh Dobson's progress.  I'm also pretty happy with the quality of the guy throwing to him (certainly a notch above the guys throwing to Wallace and Jennings this year). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm pretty happy wiyh Dobson's progress.  I'm also pretty happy with the quality of the guy throwing to him (certainly a notch above the guys throwing to Wallace and Jennings this year). 

[/QUOTE]

Great point about who is throwing to them but do you think those 2 guys have the type of personality to fit in here? I don't think Wallace would and i don't know enough about Jennings to say one way or the other.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great point about who is throwing to them but do you think those 2 guys have the type of personality to fit in here? I don't think Wallace would and i don't know enough about Jennings to say one way or the other.

[/QUOTE]

Jennings would have been a great fit but his 10 million asking price was NOT a good fit at all. Wallace actually may have fit in with this new style offense we have but obviously with lesser Qbs, you have to go out and get talent. WIth Brady,.....Its Plug and Play!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He won't be the WR he's suppose to be until next year, he needed to clean up his route running and mature into himself. He's doing well, but a full off-season with Tommy and Amendola and Gronk with a chance to digest the playbook will make him a much better WR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Ghost good post! I hope it puts Dobsons season in perspective to the select few who are always on em for the couple early season drops.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BB did speak to what his Scouting report said was true, he is suppose to be very intelligent and have great understanding on how to beat zones.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was never crazy about Wallace.  Jennings was more attractive, but pricey.  If I were to criticize Belichick it would be for not addressing the WR position a year or two earlier.  I never liked Lloyd.  Honestly, I wanted Garcon.  He was a bit pricey, but I thought he'd be a good fit.  Smart enough to play with Manning and talented enough.  I thing BB probably should have gotten one longer term quality X receiver option in 2011 or 2012 after Moss was gone. Once Welker's status was unclear, the need became even more pressing, but Lloyd, Branch, and Stallworth just weren't long term solutions.  That forced a complete rebuild in one year, which is risky. BB was smart to pick multiple guys this year and throw a lot of spagehetti at thw wall.  Fortunately, Dobson looks like a sticky strand and, in the end, may turn out to be a better option than Garcon or any other free agent BB  could have had the past two or so years.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Dobson is making steady progess. I loved the pick, though I had them taking someone a bit earlier. But selection was great. He was never a KR, just a WR.

As BB says, once the playoffs start, you are no longer a rookie. This has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it is partially true.

Ne needs to continue to commit to throwing to this kid in the deep portion on the outside. There will be more growing pains, but you need to get the film out there. Dobson, for the first time in a while, gives NE someone who can take the top off of a defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dobson is making steady progess. I loved the pick, though I had them taking someone a bit earlier. But selection was great. He was never a KR, just a WR.

As BB says, once the playoffs start, you are no longer a rookie. This has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it is partially true.

Ne needs to continue to commit to throwing to this kid in the deep portion on the outside. There will be more growing pains, but you need to get the film out there. Dobson, for the first time in a while, gives NE someone who can take the top off of a defense.

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe loosen the top of the defense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

I am not trying to start a flame war about BB the GM, just wanted to show a comparison of the FA wideouts that may have been an option instead of drafting Dobson. To be up front I was an advocate of going after jennings but I am perfectly happy about the how this receiving stable is configured with the obvious injury caveat.

Wallace -        72           36      480      13.3     1        60      130         23                   23

Jennings -       55           31      392      12.6     2        49      158         17                   17

Dobson -         60           31      454      14.6     4        57      133         21                    5

[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention that Dobson was not a starter for 3 games and actually missed the first game of the season.    :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or maybe loosen the top of the defense

[/QUOTE]

Haha. Right. The point is that he has the wheels. Most of it will be him getting the playbooks digested, continuing to learn how to read his keys, and building more rapport with Brady.

He can improve and be a star. As it stands, I like him as a complmentary WR a whole lot going down the road in 2013. Perhaps he is not as reliable right now as Lloyd was, but he is a lot more dynamic!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I never wanted Wallace. Thought Jennings would be good fit but too much money. In defense of these wideouts though, they dont have Qbs throwing to them like brady. If Wallace was here, he is much better, ditto for Jennings. We are ok though so no complaints here. I just feel they should have retained LLoyd who was already signed cheap and knew the system

[/QUOTE]

Considering things are working out now... Not having Lloyd is paying off.  The element that Dobson is adding far out weighs what Lloyd brought.  This does hinge on Amendola staying healthy, but Dobson and even KT bring more explosion to the offense on the outside.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention that Dobson was not a starter for 3 games and actually missed the first game of the season.    :)

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for picking up on that oversight. It does add a dimension to the evaluation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Dobson really kicked it into high gear after catching that bomb on Sunday.  He left Clark in the dust.  Guy has some major wheels.  I will say it was a welcome sight to see a guy raise his hand up like Moss used to do when he was open down the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree about Dobson's progress.

I also think that BB may be purposefully focusing on laying a new foundation of young receivers with the long term in mind.  These kids can have the benefit of learning the system and being developed by one of the best QBs ever, TB, with the idea of having them well established for when it's time to make the big transition...PTB (Post Tom Brady).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for picking up on that oversight. It does add a dimension to the evaluation.

[/QUOTE]

It's immense.  I don't think he even lead a single game for targets from Brady.  I think Gronk, Edelman, and KT lead all games for targets.  

Dude is growing and quickly.  I hope they are on another page coming out of the break, because he needs to keep progressing... Vereen coming back, Gronk getting his legs back, Amen healthy... Edelman's been steady and KT and Collie add solid depth...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I also think that BB may be purposefully focusing on laying a new foundation of young receivers with the long term in mind.  These kids can have the benefit of learning the system and being developed by one of the best QBs ever, TB, with the idea of having them well established for when it's time to make the big transition...PTB (Post Tom Brady).

[/QUOTE]

I think we are really 4-5 years away from that.  The future is with him in mind.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think his slow progress was expected but what people overlook is that we had more than one rookie on the field at  a time and none were top ten picks. usually those are the guys you plug in day 1. Not 2nd rounders and free agents. Now playing a secondary role behind Amendola and Gronk suits him much better. Its why I never saw Boyce making an impact this year. You just cant put that much pressure on rooks and ask 3 of them to make plays in their 1st year. Ideally Dobson will be ready to go year 2 while we continue to integrate Boyce and KT for the next 3 years. 2014 will be a great year offensively if Amendola is back to form.

It was really just making thru a rough stretch which weve only lost 2 games so I will say it worked but it was a high risk that needed Brady to make it work plus improved D early? If we had the D we have now early on....we may be a .500 team.

I think the Pats if solely picking for their system and right away results should have gone after Stills who is also doing good in N.O. but I thought his skillset more was suited for us. Dobson although not an immediate fit has seemingly got past the hardest part. Learning the system and earning trust and this team will be better next year for taking the risk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's immense.  I don't think he even lead a single game for targets from Brady.  I think Gronk, Edelman, and KT lead all games for targets.  

Dude is growing and quickly.  I hope they are on another page coming out of the break, because he needs to keep progressing... Vereen coming back, Gronk getting his legs back, Amen healthy... Edelman's been steady and KT and Collie add solid depth...

[/QUOTE]

As always if healthy the offensive unit will keep progressing. The D just needs to hold it together as best they can although if Talib is not able to come back I am not sure that will be possible.

They have a really interesting schedule coming out of the bye and it is going to be a fun to watch this team  the 2nd half of the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we are really 4-5 years away from that.  The future is with him in mind.  

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, you are right.

The fact is, however, BB shows no fear about letting go of players that we, the fans, believe still have plenty left to offer.  Based on BB's history, I would guess TB's time is probably more like three years.  But there's no point worrying about that.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

In the meantime, we can all enjoy watching kids like Dobson improve before our eyes.  I'm loving this year's team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, you are right.

The fact is, however, BB shows no fear about letting go of players that we, the fans, believe still have plenty left to offer.  Based on BB's history, I would guess TB's time is probably more like three years.  But there's no point worrying about that.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

In the meantime, we can all enjoy watching kids like Dobson improve before our eyes.  I'm loving this year's team.

[/QUOTE]

Well let me spin it this way.  IF BB feels there is a better option than TB at that point in time, then do what you need to do IMHO.  If this is a change like Luck was for Manning, you got to make that change. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dobson really kicked it into high gear after catching that bomb on Sunday.  He left Clark in the dust.  Guy has some major wheels.  I will say it was a welcome sight to see a guy raise his hand up like Moss used to do when he was open down the field.

[/QUOTE]

Yep, I was very happy to eat crow on that play.(I had previously said KT was faster)

He has those long legs but when he gets it going, He is gone. He def. needs a lot more polish in offseason(took 9 weeks to catch a backshoulder) but he is on the right track.  I still just dont see how he has no drops in college. He is still double catching balls.

Sections
Shortcuts