Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

Please no In BB we Trust.  I would agree that with TB we Trust.

I know we have 7 unproven rookies and free agents. 

That 2002 was the last time Givens/Branch that anything came out of the WR draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

Who the hell was Welker before Tom made him a household name? And TFB won 12 games with Reche Caldwell as his number 1 WR, Dobson, Boyce and Thompson are all more talented.

There are 32 reasons not to throw the deep ball against the New England Patriots this season, they all end in "Because Devin McCourty will INT it".

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

Once again Butchie the troll offers nothing football related to a thread, just contiunes his embarrassing stalking of Rusty.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

It is written. If we do not bring Moss back, we will not win a SB for the rest of Brady's career.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Moaners...  all this self loathing, moaning and whining is too much.  

Tom Brady makes stars out of average receivers, give him a young, physical, exciting group like Dobson, Boyce, Amendola and the rest and he'll explode.  Add to that a talented coordinator like McDaniels and it's a can't lose situation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I nor anyone else who are viligently watching the Patriots have any idea of how things will shake out come the regular season. On paper they appear to be thin in regards to the WR position, but i remember when it was Givens and Patton and Branch nobody was jumping up and down with those guys either. Amendola at least has a rep as a very good receiver, Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins all have at least height on their side as each guy is at least 6' tall and then there is the camp sensation Kamar Aikens who spent last year on the PS and had the late season call up, WR is a difficult guy to find, but hopefully when the Pre-season is over the Patriots will have found enough guys to carry the load.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is written. If we do not bring Moss back, we will not win a SB for the rest of Brady's career.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

Moss is used up Babe. I rather toss the younger guys out there.

[/QUOTE]

See above. It's not about skilz, it's about destiny.

But actually Moss performed well in a limited role with the 9ers. Rice played until he was 42. Randy can probably still play, and there is no proof that he can't. It only exists in the minds of people in the same place they think about TT. It's simply the "expert football fan" syndrome of baloni.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Moaners...  all this self loathing, moaning and whining is too much.  

Tom Brady makes stars out of average receivers, give him a young, physical, exciting group like Dobson, Boyce, Amendola and the rest and he'll explode.  Add to that a talented coordinator like McDaniels and it's a can't lose situation.

Well I'm with you on this one wozzy. I'm not worried about Brady and his receivers either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think there'll be some growing pains for a few games but, all in all, this is not an issue from my perspective. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

True, but Aiken and Dobsen are 6'2"+ tall.  I'm hoping they can both create some separation, and like to fight for the ball and gain extra YAC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At WR, I like the potential of this young group better than I liked what they had last year.  Last year, Welker was good (but only a short field player), Lloyd okay but limited, and the rest aging or not particularly good.  At least this year they have the potential to find one or two well-rounded young receivers with good speed and/ or size.  There's risk, of course, with a lot of untested receivers, but no reward comes without risk.

The big change in the passing game this year that should concern fans (and I'm sure is getting the attention of BB and JD) is the loss of Hern for good and possibly Gronk for a significant part of the season.  That will require a change in the offense, which will put more pressure on the receivers and backs to deliver.  But at the same time this bodes well for more diversity and new wrinkles, which I'm excited to see.  And if Gronk gets healthy and at least one of the other TEs can prove decent (there's lots of potential there), we should be in good shape.  I'll go out on a limb and say the offense will be at least as good as last year and almost certainly more  diverse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

At WR, I like the potential of this young group better than I liked what they had last year.  Last year, Welker was good (but only a short field player), Lloyd okay but limited, and the rest aging or not particularly good.  At least this year they have the potential to find one or two well-rounded young receivers with good speed and/ or size.  There's risk, of course, with a lot of untested receivers, but no reward comes without risk.

The big change in the passing game this year that should concern fans (and I'm sure is getting the attention of BB and JD) is the loss of Hern for good and possibly Gronk for a significant part of the season.  That will require a change in the offense, which will put more pressure on the receivers and backs to deliver.  But at the same time this bodes well for more diversity and new wrinkles, which I'm excited to see.  And if Gronk gets healthy and at least one of the other TEs can prove decent (there's lots of potential there), we should be in good shape.  I'll go out on a limb and say the offense will be at least as good as last year and almost certainly more  diverse.

I have the same type of mind set when I think of these young receivers. The only thing I worry about is the growing pains they will encounter...this is the NFL...it's a long season..they will see corners and coverages they have never seen before...they will get hit like they have never been hit before. But I did want them to revamp the position and go young - I like the thought of having a QB like ours throwing to guys that can run, have size and potential. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Nice post prolate. I agree. The potential is there, the receivers young, big, fast and smart. Sudfeld looking good as well. The talent seems to be there to do many things Differently. I will agree with Russ on the point that the current wrs seem to be able to line up at more positions than last years group. Diversity as you say is there. 

My expectations are tempered a bit Early on. What I want to see is a young offense that progresses and matures throughout the year. Getting Gronk back will be huge. I still think outside of Brady, he is the MVP of the offense, even when Wes was playing. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Because Brady won so many SB's with Moss on the team or that Moss won so many SB's when he left the Pats?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

A bunch of young, strong, tall, fast receivers being matched with one of the best QBs of all time? How can you not be excited to see what happens? There will be a learning curve no  matter who you put in there.

I heard so many complaints last year about how we have no deep threat....our WRs are too small......don't fight for the ball.......no run after catch.....blah blah blah. So we re-vamp the WR group with a bunch of you talent to address all those complaints....and people are still moaning. Typical doom & gloomers.....

Hope they are enjoying the daily cry-fest with Felger & Mazz.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Benkarkis is a Felger/Mazz listener.  He won't be here come October when it's clear the media sensationalism about new WRs with Brady fades away.

Dobson, Boyce, Thompkins, rave reviews so far and it's not to protect BB, as we know. It's early in camp, but I think the key is seeing how Brady reacts to where each's progress is.

Like, today, Amendola was on the perimeter, ran a deep route and Brady hit him. Brady was giddy.

What Benkarkis and others don't get is that they are changing how they approach the offense in the passing game. They want guys to line up all over and be effective to change this predictability problem we've had with Welker, etc.

Benkarkis wants the security and the name on the jersey for his fantasy football draft. It's all over. All over.

Don't draft Brady for fantasy anymore. That's good news for real Pats fans. Bad news for poseurs and teenagers.

predictability problem with Welker??

Welker was the bail out receiver.  He's the one guy that always found the openings in the seams.  That's why he had so many catches.  He wasn't a problem.  He was a solution. 

I have no idea how good your receivers are going to be.  Certainly Amendola is expected to be good.  Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.  The questions will be communication, trust, and will Brady force throws. 

The best thing Brady has going for him beyond his own talent is an excellent line.  Over the past few years there's not another QB in the NFL that's given as much time to throw as Brady.  If that excellence continues, then Brady doesn't have to trust his receivers as much.  He can wait for them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If you get your information from actual journalists doing actual reporting who actually attend actual practices then you have reason for optimism. If you don't then you get threads like this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

If you get your information from actual journalists doing actual reporting who actually attend actual practices then you have reason for optimism. If you don't then you get threads like this one.

In actuality, yes. Otherwise, well, who knows?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

A bunch of young, strong, tall, fast receivers being matched with one of the best QBs of all time? How can you not be excited to see what happens? There will be a learning curve no  matter who you put in there.

I heard so many complaints last year about how we have no deep threat....our WRs are too small......don't fight for the ball.......no run after catch.....blah blah blah. So we re-vamp the WR group with a bunch of you talent to address all those complaints....and people are still moaning. Typical doom & gloomers.....

Hope they are enjoying the daily cry-fest with Felger & Mazz.

That's because it was true.....?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

IMO, part of the equation when it comes to inexperienced receivers (rookies) or veteran WRs breaks down into talent (creating separation, running precise routes, juking out defender, shielding with body...), ability to understand the route trees (mental, what are all the options), communication with Brady, and timing (does Brady have time to throw, is he being harassed, where and when to throw).

If you think that Brady and the WRs will not have growing pains, then I think that would be naiive. Even Manning is having growing pains with Welker (but the process is likely accelerated due to their collective experience).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Pats SB hopes for the next 4+ years rely on.a washes up reciever. Now this is what I call humor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

IMO, part of the equation when it comes to inexperienced receivers (rookies) or veteran WRs breaks down into talent (creating separation, running precise routes, juking out defender, shielding with body...), ability to understand the route trees (mental, what are all the options), communication with Brady, and timing (does Brady have time to throw, is he being harassed, where and when to throw).

If you think that Brady and the WRs will not have growing pains, then I think that would be naiive. Even Manning is having growing pains with Welker (but the process is likely accelerated due to their collective experience).

I've been on record as saying that Brady hasn't developed a lot of young receivers. Tight Ends - different story.  I will be proven wrong this year if Brady turns these guys into effective players. 

That said, he has no choice but to do so, and Brady is good enough to do so.  It may be that my opinion stems from the fact that he never really had to do so, as the young receivers he's had previously could not break through due to the excellence of the vet receivers, or maybe the pats just drafted poorly at the position. 

The counter point was that Brady was effective with Branch/Givens, and I accept that point with some exceptions.  Back then the pats worked in more of a ball control framework and had a better running.  They also had a superior defense that could keep the team in games on its own.  Ball control is most effective when the defense can control the opposition's offense.  The current defense hasn't been THAT good, and Brady's own excellence as well as other offensive players have covered that up.  Very "Manning-Colt-like". 

Its a new world for the pats this year.  Frankly, I think you all should be excited, if not also nervous due to the unknown. 

Sections
Shortcuts