Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

The counter point was that Brady was effective with Branch/Givens, and I accept that point with some exceptions.  Back then the pats worked in more of a ball control framework and had a better running.  They also had a superior defense that could keep the team in games on its own.  Ball control is most effective when the defense can control the opposition's offense.  The current defense hasn't been THAT good, and Brady's own excellence as well as other offensive players have covered that up.  Very "Manning-Colt-like". 

Its a new world for the pats this year.  Frankly, I think you all should be excited, if not also nervous due to the unknown. 

Yes, it is a new world with all the new potential WR's but the problem is who sticks and who doesn't. Given the limitations of the 53 man roster and practice squad rules I do not envy the coaching staff in picking 5-6 WR's when there seems to be so many potential contributors. And how does Tebow stick when there are so many deserving candidates at this position?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: Does anybody care that the Patriots have zero Wide Receivers? just leave out Danny A.

In response to anonymis's comment:

I heard so many complaints last year about how we have no deep threat....our WRs are too small......don't fight for the ball.......no run after catch

that's because it was true.....?

And so they address these issues....get younger, faster, bigger.....yet people on this message board are still crying about our WRs. Looks to me like some people will never be happy with what they do...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

I heard so many complaints last year about how we have no deep threat....our WRs are too small......don't fight for the ball.......no run after catch

And so they address these issues....get younger, faster, bigger.....yet people on this message board are still crying about our WRs. Looks to me like some people will never be happy with what they do...

IN defense of some posters. I dont think they are whining about change, but merely concerned with the lack of veterans at the WR position. I personally dont worry as much because I know BB sees more than me and if he felt the need to do something he would. BUT, it doesnt mean some fans cant express concern.  I think fans wanted a change but also didnt expect to have a team full of green guys. Outside of Edleman who may be cut cuz he cant stay on the field, what do you have?  D.Amendola who looks good but has injury history and a bunch of rooks and 2nd year guys. Maybe if BB had drafted a decent WR in the last 10 years, fans wouldnt be concerned, but they do have a right to question going into a year with Brady and no real vets in their prime at the WR position outside of Amendola. Im hoping for best, but I wont question anyone being concerned. I wont use the word whine, thats ridiculous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

The Patriots clearly had to change up their offensive gameplan and personnel a bit because what they were doing in the playoffs wasnt working. we had become the 2000-2005 indianapolis colts, we beat up on the bad teams and bad defenses, but were stymied whenever a good defense was put in front of us.

I do think the pats will miss welker a bit, but besides that, i think the pats did a nice job drafting some young talent at receiver and brady seems to like them already. maybe these receivers will make the offense more diverse and come playoff time, defenses wont be able to just key on the short passing game. Dobson is a freak as well, i dont think brady has had a receiver like him since moss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

The Patriots clearly had to change up their offensive gameplan and personnel a bit because what they were doing in the playoffs wasnt working. we had become the 2000-2005 indianapolis colts, we beat up on the bad teams and bad defenses, but were stymied whenever a good defense was put in front of us.

I do think the pats will miss welker a bit, but besides that, i think the pats did a nice job drafting some young talent at receiver and brady seems to like them already. maybe these receivers will make the offense more diverse and come playoff time, defenses wont be able to just key on the short passing game. Dobson is a freak as well, i dont think brady has had a receiver like him since moss.

Good post

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Good post

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Taking the wait and see approach. The offense may start the season out slow and lethargic but I suspect they will get into the swing of things when December rolls around and Brady starts building a rapport with his new receivers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

IN defense of some posters. I dont think they are whining about change, but merely concerned with the lack of veterans at the WR position. I personally dont worry as much because I know BB sees more than me and if he felt the need to do something he would. BUT, it doesnt mean some fans cant express concern.  I think fans wanted a change but also didnt expect to have a team full of green guys. Outside of Edleman who may be cut cuz he cant stay on the field, what do you have?  D.Amendola who looks good but has injury history and a bunch of rooks and 2nd year guys. Maybe if BB had drafted a decent WR in the last 10 years, fans wouldnt be concerned, but they do have a right to question going into a year with Brady and no real vets in their prime at the WR position outside of Amendola. Im hoping for best, but I wont question anyone being concerned. I wont use the word whine, thats ridiculous.

He's drafted what, 3 WRs pre 2012 in the last 10 years, after 2002?

Umm, you'd have to actually DRAFT the WR to have that chance.  They've believed in developing from within, but mostly finding veterans who won't be shellshocked with the playbook.

Funny how when you look at the facts, you're always incorrect in your analysis. You act like he had drafted  WR per year and had some top 15 picks mixed in there kin which to do so. He hasn't and didn't.

3 rusty? Really. Try PK sam, Chad Jackson, B.Tate, T.Price, B.Johnson. I dont decide how many, thats not the issue. He had a stint of bad TEs too with A.Love and J.Holloway. I dont think those guys made it out of camp...lol  Then there was a host of other TEs but that wasnt my point. Fans have a right to be concerned about such a young WR corps. Now u will spin it like its the best he ever had, but if a rival did similar you would have made  a post stating "Losing Continuity"  LMAO at you. Im not incorrect. YOu are allergic to facts. we all know that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Just take a look at the title to this thread.....sorry but that is panic mode whining. Listen to Felger & Mazz.....that's hardly having a "concern"....just more whining about the sky falling....and there are people here believing it.

Raising a few questions and concerns is one thing....we all are wondering how this new set of WRs will do. It really comes down to looking at things poistively, or negatively. If you haven't noticed, there is a handful of guys here who come across as if the world is ending with every "concern" they have. If me calling that out is ridiculous to you....I'm okay with that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Just take a look at the title to this thread.....sorry but that is panic mode whining. Listen to Felger & Mazz.....that's hardly having a "concern"....just more whining about the sky falling....and there are people here believing it.

Raising a few questions and concerns is one thing....we all are wondering how this new set of WRs will do. It really comes down to looking at things poistively, or negatively. If you haven't noticed, there is a handful of guys here who come across as if the world is ending with every "concern" they have. If me calling that out is ridiculous to you....I'm okay with that.

Hey I can only speak for myself at the end of the day. I realize some are more bent out of shape than others but really what does anyone know. The positive fans could be right or wrong. The level of someones concerns just differs according to posters like anything else. Like I said, Im chill but I can see why some are concerned. We have bought back retreads like Branch and Stallworth for 3 years when they waay past their prime for the fact that we couldnt draft one and now we are supposed to just say well this year is different and THESE rooks are gonna make some noise. We dont know that. Im just choosing to wait and see before and I judge and some have already decided. let em be. They dont represent the majority here anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Hey I can only speak for myself at the end of the day. I realize some are more bent out of shape than others but really what does anyone know. The positive fans could be right or wrong. The level of someones concerns just differs according to posters like anything else. Like I said, Im chill but I can see why some are concerned. We have bought back retreads like Branch and Stallworth for 3 years when they waay past their prime for the fact that we couldnt draft one and now we are supposed to just say well this year is different and THESE rooks are gonna make some noise. We dont know that. Im just choosing to wait and see before and I judge and some have already decided. let em be. They dont represent the majority here anyway.

Fair enough....I'm also in the wait & see crowd....but definitely feel good about it. I'm extremely happy we didn't refer back to the Branchs & Stallworths just to have a vet presence. The way I see this...is that it will FORCE Brady to work with what he has....not get frustrated with a rookie because he has his "vets" to fall back on. TB has no choice, he must make it work with the talent he has. I like it.....a LOT!! No more binkies (even though I love Wes)...and getting back to finding the open man. With all the young talent, I find it exciting to see who rises to the top...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is written. If we do not bring Moss back, we will not win a SB for the rest of Brady's career.

Because Brady won so many SB's with Moss on the team or that Moss won so many SB's when he left the Pats?

[/QUOTE]

No, because Moss didn't win a SB when he was with the Pats. That injustice needs to be rectified for the universe to realign properly in our favor.

I'm not talking about football. I'm talking about destiny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is written. If we do not bring Moss back, we will not win a SB for the rest of Brady's career.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

The Pats SB hopes for the next 4+ years rely on.a washes up reciever.

[/QUOTE]

What evidence do you have to claim he is washed up? Is it that with the 9ers he had a TD/REC ratio about twice as good as either of our two starting WRs of last year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Post # 7500!!!

My two cents

Seems a lot of folks are focused on the fact to have a "name" receiver is the end all, be all.  Granted, as Patriots' fans, other than the rare well known WRs this team has had, we crave to have that big name receiver a-la Megatron.  Wouldn't that be nice, some day.  But, why the big push to get a big time receiver?  Haven't many good receivers in the league, for the most part, began their careers in relative anonymity before they broke out?  Has the team expressed the need to have such a big name receiver other than what fans say here?

As fans, unless we are in the position to have seen every play the current roster of receivers have played, regardless of where they've been, until we see them in game conditions, all we can do is hope the team knows what it is doing.  Look how pleasantly surprised we get when TB continues to be at the top of the QB heap, statistically, and most say he does this without any significantly great WRs on the team.  Seems if we took the past to heart, this team will do fine.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I've been on record as saying that Brady hasn't developed a lot of young receivers. Tight Ends - different story.  I will be proven wrong this year if Brady turns these guys into effective players. 

That said, he has no choice but to do so, and Brady is good enough to do so.  It may be that my opinion stems from the fact that he never really had to do so, as the young receivers he's had previously could not break through due to the excellence of the vet receivers, or maybe the pats just drafted poorly at the position. 

The counter point was that Brady was effective with Branch/Givens, and I accept that point with some exceptions.  Back then the pats worked in more of a ball control framework and had a better running.  They also had a superior defense that could keep the team in games on its own.  Ball control is most effective when the defense can control the opposition's offense.  The current defense hasn't been THAT good, and Brady's own excellence as well as other offensive players have covered that up.  Very "Manning-Colt-like". 

Its a new world for the pats this year.  Frankly, I think you all should be excited, if not also nervous due to the unknown. 

used to...is the crux of the matter.

Sure, defense last year was better than the year before - but simply not where they need to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Post # 7500!!!

My two cents

Seems a lot of folks are focused on the fact to have a "name" receiver is the end all, be all.  Granted, as Patriots' fans, other than the rare well known WRs this team has had, we crave to have that big name receiver a-la Megatron.  Wouldn't that be nice, some day.  But, why the big push to get a big time receiver?  Haven't many good receivers in the league, for the most part, began their careers in relative anonymity before they broke out?  Has the team expressed the need to have such a big name receiver other than what fans say here?

As fans, unless we are in the position to have seen every play the current roster of receivers have played, regardless of where they've been, until we see them in game conditions, all we can do is hope the team knows what it is doing.  Look how pleasantly surprised we get when TB continues to be at the top of the QB heap, statistically, and most say he does this without any significantly great WRs on the team.  Seems if we took the past to heart, this team will do fine.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

how about 2-3 more playmakers on defense?  I don't care what their name is...lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

As a colts fan, I agree. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to UD6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been on record as saying that Brady hasn't developed a lot of young receivers. Tight Ends - different story.  I will be proven wrong this year if Brady turns these guys into effective players. 

That said, he has no choice but to do so, and Brady is good enough to do so.  It may be that my opinion stems from the fact that he never really had to do so, as the young receivers he's had previously could not break through due to the excellence of the vet receivers, or maybe the pats just drafted poorly at the position. 

used to...is the crux of the matter.

Sure, defense last year was better than the year before - but simply not where they need to be.

[/QUOTE]

I'll qualify your statement with this.  No, your defense is not what it was during the superbowl winning years.  That said, if it is getting better, if it is solid then it could be enough.  Brady is better than he was back then.  He can use his talent to pick up some of that slack as he has, but the defense needs to be good enough to go toe to toe with a great offense when it matters.  The colts never could do this except for that one year, and when they did, the colts won. 

in 09, the year of the manning superbowl pick 6, Drew Brees went something like 19 for 20 (or better) from the middle of the second half to the end of the game.  The colts defense could not stop the Saints offense.  Add to that the onside kick recovery and Manning had to play 100% mistake free football.  He didn't.  They lost.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Nice post prolate. I agree. The potential is there, the receivers young, big, fast and smart. Sudfeld looking good as well. The talent seems to be there to do many things Differently. I will agree with Russ on the point that the current wrs seem to be able to line up at more positions than last years group. Diversity as you say is there. 

My expectations are tempered a bit Early on. What I want to see is a young offense that progresses and matures throughout the year. Getting Gronk back will be huge. I still think outside of Brady, he is the MVP of the offense, even when Wes was playing. 

Thanks.  I  think that's the key--having the diversity of talent to not be quite as one dimensional.  With the improvement in the running game, we went a bit in that direction last year, but the passing game still lacked diversity of weapons, especially when injuries hit.

I agree about Gronk, but hope we find a way to win without him because quite frankly, he hasn't been someone we can rely on to stay healthy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

It may be 2006 all over again. But that team would have made it to the Super Bowl if it weren't for a second half defensive deabcle.

Not worried... TB will lead this team to the SB again this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

They'll be fine since they have no choice..they'll work the new guys in and it seems many of the newbies actually have talent...TB will work his usual miracles, I have no doubt....

Benkarkis? A Felgie fan?...that makes ONE...this board doesn't need any additional contrived controversy like the kind they try to rev up every afternoon on that terrible show....

As soon as I heard Felgie/Mazz devotee', I immediately thought of,
    "wink, wink, nudge nudge, say no more, knowwhatImean,knowwhatImean??"

I miss Monty Python....