Does anybody know what is going with Price injured/or not grasping O

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombdog. Show bombdog's posts

Does anybody know what is going with Price injured/or not grasping O

What is going with Price is he injured or just not grasping the offense. Now that Moss is gone could this be his time to step up and get some playing time ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Does anybody know what is going with Price injured/or not grasping O

I don't think it's either. He was behind entering camp because of his college finals or something like that. As of last week, he was still not familiar enough with the offense and even if he was, good luck cracking the rotation between Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, Slater, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Crumpler.

I'm sure he'll start seeing some action soon.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Another wasted BB draft pick. I think so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Who should they not have played instead? Slater would be the only one, and he has some ST value. If they deal for Branch or other vet, he'll still be at the back of the bench.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He came out of a very rudimentary offense in Ohio. When he was drafted he was an athletic talent, with exceptional hands, and good routes, but was kept from being a high pick mostly because teams knew he would be a project at the NFL level due to his inexperience making reads, running route trees, responding to changes at the line, etcetera. 

I think we as fans shouldn't really expect much out of him short term. If he does contribute, then it will be a cool surprise. But from everything I read leading up to the draft (I don't get a chance to watch much small school NCAA) it could take a while....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think he was meant to learn behind the scenes this year and then take on more an active role next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Gives one a greater appreciation for someone like Edelman.  To be able to come in, learn an entirely new position, and contribute from day 1...amazing!

Honorable mention for Woodhead.  He wasn't a rookie learning a new postion like Edelman, but anyone who can come in and contribute 2 weeks after signing with the team is good.  

With both of them you don't hear the typical excuses like it takes time to build chemistry with Brady, learn the playbook, etc.  Nope, they came in a figured out enough to help the team almost immediately.  Kudos to people like them.  I thought Gaffney also contributed after a short while.  Galloway however....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

It's a fair question and one that concerns me moving ahead, as well.  To be more specific, it might be important to work people into the system (from the future draft prospects) that will come together in the shorter term.  Getting production from people like Mayo, Gronk, Mesko, McCourty, and Hernandez has been a real (positive) jolt to the team.   Add another 5-6 at key positions and the team should be able to harmonise productively; work it all out.  Having to wait 3+ years for too many players to develop might hinder the group progress.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAMATO. Show YAMATO's posts

Price and Tate are ready, otherwise Moss wouldn't have been traded. Price looked very good in the preseason, ran good routes, and had a few nice catches. I wouldn't mind seeing Branch back in a Patriot uniform though for a 5th round pick. Brady and the Patriot offense, are at their best throwing short and intermediate routes to the RB, TE, and WRs. Look for Hernandez to line up all over the field.  The offense was getting away from Moss and going towards that type of game plan. I liked Randy Moss and enjoyed all the one handed TD grabs and the record setting 2007 season. I wish him the best with the Vikings (except when they face the Patriots of course). Randy was not going to get paid by the Patriots or anyone else going into 2011, if he was reduced to a decoy role and being thrown to a half dozen times a game or less.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

I watched some tape of Price and he is also fearless in traffic. There is one play where he is practically decapitated by the Chiefs 1st pick (5 overall) safety Eric Berry from Tennessee and he bounces right up.  I also saw him stretch high over the middle to catch a ball.

He is also a very willing blocker.

He started slowly in the preseason, but I thought he was making progress.  He tweaked his ankle but it is supposed to be OK now.  Maybe he will be active for the Ravens game.

Hopefully, they can bring him along slowly.  That said, any fast receiver can run a fly pattern and be a decoy. 

Brady intimated that Slater is the fastest player on the team.  That could be why they had him run a fly pattern.  I seem to recall he had two defenders on him.  (pass incomplete)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody know what is going with Price injured/or not grasping O:
    [QUOTE]He came out of a very rudimentary offense in Ohio. When he was drafted he was an athletic talent, with exceptional hands, and good routes, but was kept from being a high pick mostly because teams knew he would be a project at the NFL level due to his inexperience making reads, running route trees, responding to changes at the line, etcetera.  I think we as fans shouldn't really expect much out of him short term. If he does contribute, then it will be a cool surprise. But from everything I read leading up to the draft (I don't get a chance to watch much small school NCAA) it could take a while....
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, makes sense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Athletes, in general, have really small smooth brains.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody know what is going with Price injured/or not grasping O:
    [QUOTE]He came out of a very rudimentary offense in Ohio. When he was drafted he was an athletic talent, with exceptional hands, and good routes, but was kept from being a high pick mostly because teams knew he would be a project at the NFL level due to his inexperience making reads, running route trees, responding to changes at the line, etcetera.  I think we as fans shouldn't really expect much out of him short term. If he does contribute, then it will be a cool surprise. But from everything I read leading up to the draft (I don't get a chance to watch much small school NCAA) it could take a while....

Agree. I think his learning curve (college system he played in + coming to camp late) is precluding him from getting any playing time at the moment. That could all change in a few weeks however. Depends on how he "continues" to progress.

I would like to see Price, Tate and Welker on the field at the same time. I think that is an nice combination of speed and quickness. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey, worst case scenario we use him like Bethel Johnson and have him run go routes all day long. Sooner or later he catches one and opens things up underneath, he runs a 4.4 or 4.3 so he should have no trouble stretching things out. We have a boat load of guys that are capable of working underneath, who knows maybe he could develop this years as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Price isn't simply a go receiver.  Price has good lateral explosion, he's tall enough at 6 feet 1/2 inch, he's got plenty of muscle with 16 bench presses, and he's 4.40.  He's a total package minus any NFL experience.  It could be a while yet before he's worth putting on the field versus the Patriots' good guys, my guess is November, but when he's good to go he'll be something. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You are welcome KP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Price isn't simply a go receiver.  Price has good lateral explosion, he's tall enough at 6 feet 1/2 inch, he's got plenty of muscle with 16 bench presses, and he's 4.40.  He's a total package minus any NFL experience.  It could be a while yet before he's worth putting on the field versus the Patriots' good guys, my guess is November, but when he's good to go he'll be something. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    Almost every single receiver drafted in the first four rounds has everything you listed. What separates them is the feel for a NFL passing game. Can they make sight adjustments? Can they turn an NFL corner back? Will they hold onto to the ball when a 220 pound safety lights them up? Can they play with a foot of space along the sideline for a 20 yard out or a post? Price hasn't really shown that in college, never mind the pros. Not saying he won't, but to me I don't think I'd expect much right now but the use of his long speed for a team that is suddenly lacking it.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

There should be a rule on this forum that zbellino has to reply to every thread. Even when I don't agree with you Z (meaning I'm probably wrong), I always look forward to reading your posts!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I actually thought that Farnham had a better understanding of the offense than Price but Farnham can't run a sub 4.4 40! That is Price's true value to the Patriots. It's also the reason why Slater is always the bubble player and he will continue to be the bubble guy but his speed will normally beat out his competition that and his football pedigree,not too mention he can play safety,WR, and gunner on ST's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Gaffney was signed off the street in 2006 in like week 17 and then went on to set the record for catches in the playoffs after only one or two weeks with the team. Which is why they cut Caldwell that offseason and kept Gaffney. Edelman is a rare player and sometimes you can get a guy ready to play right away but for the most part young players need time. That is not an excuse its a fact.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE] You have to include the fact that Gaffney was a draft choice of the Texans and he was beaten out of his job by Andre Johnson! Gaffney was a very good college receiver out of the UF and we all know that any player out of the Urban Meyer school might as well have just gone too camp in New England.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Price has been on the 53 man team since they broke camp.  He's not on the practice squad.  But as others have mentioned we can only dress 45 for games.  With Moss gone and absent any WR acquisitions, I look for Price to be active and contributing in the next game and rest of the season.

I agree that Moss was dealt for a variety of issues dealing with Moss like contract, shooting off his mouth, taking off plays, etc but he wouldn't have been dealt if BB didn't think Price or others could do an adequate job.  We may have lost our home run hitter but can still win games with singles and doubles.