Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aseletzky. Show aseletzky's posts

Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?

Didn't we win like a buttload of titles with theses two as our primary secondary dudes?  Hmm...maybe it takes a baller secondary to have a stellar pass rushing front seven? Just saying.  Oh, and we have this guy called Vince Wilfork on the line, and a dude named Ty Warren returning this year. And some young talent on that D line, including this dude named Mike Wright, a former undrafted free agent.  Weird, the Steelers have this all pro who was also an undrafted free agent, think his name is Harris or something? But we missed the boat in not drafting a pass rusher this year, so, apples to apples.  Those unrafted free agents are pretty cool though cuz they play with a chip on their shoulder, which, I dunno, I think is pretty coo. But, I digress, I am totally worried about the pass rush. Like, seriously. Oh, and our coach and front office can't build a team, or draft worth beans. r/Fuuuuuu!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?

Ty Law was less a cornerback...than a god.  Favorite player, Favorite position, as flawless in his complete fluidity in coverage and all the needed aspects here, as he was strong & tough as nails in all the more physical parts of Defense...  Not to remind everyone (again...and again, and again, again)- but why I loved DMC coming into last year's draft, was the same reason I loved Law.  People want a pansie pure INT machine like Asante...I want DMC and Law.  Always... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Laz I so agree.  I love those 5'11" ish near or slightly over 200 lbs CB.  A little thicker build, can tackle and stop the run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

They really went on a run of 5'8" cbs, and then never properly trained them to turn around, or they just couldn't do it. I guess Samuel's success made them change philosophy for a few years. Now we're back to physical cbs, yay I still think Arrington is being underrated. He played like such a champ. Gotta wonder if they'll be using some crazy db heavy formations this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Lawyer and the Law - that was a weekly drama series based on sports right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Actually(not disagreeing with your point,just saying) we famously released Lawyer after the first title. That was when the team supposedly hated Belichick

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Milloy only won one ring in NE. Not to underrate him, but he was replaced quite efficiently with Rodney Harrison. Ty Law was one of the best all-time CBs ever, IMO. Not only was he a ball hawk, but he could lay some wood. The WR might have caught the ball, but he paid the price! But to be fair to these new guys (who do pretty well for being so young, IMO), Ty had guys like Bruschi, McGinest, Colvin, and Vrabel in front of them. Law could never have made his 9 INTs (his best year) if the front seven were not applying pressure to the QB! If you look at last season, most of the big pass plays (especially on 3rd down) the secondary gave up, the QB had more time than Brady to find a receiver. And they still wound up top 5 in the league in takeaways! So while I'll always admire Ty for what he did in the secondary, this new crop of DBs could be just as good as the guys back in 03 and 04. Let's hope they somehow get a pass rush. I think if that happens this will be one of the best secondaries in the NFL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Law was incredible. Best PAtriots CB ever ? Him or Haynes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing about the both of them is that they were both hits in our secondary and because we "hit" on them, we were able to move on and draft other players, at other positions. The problem now is, we selected Merriweather, Butler, Whilite, Wheatly, Chung, McCourtey, Samual, Virginia kid and signed guys like O'Neil, Bodden and Arrington. Now some of these guys have a future (Chung and Mc), but none of them are Law. And unfurtunately when you have to keep using second round picks over and over again for the secondary....you don't move forward...you just run in place.

And don't forget, we won the Super Bowls also because of guys like Seymore, Pleasant, McGinnest, Vrabel....big guys, that could pressure. Now we have small guys...that can't:( 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Oh yeah we won our last Super Bowl with none of the two mentioned. Milloy was gone and Law was on IR. We won it that year with...street pick ups, a wide reciever and a little smoke, a little mirror annnnd.....a pass rush.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Law was an amazing player, just ask him. Milloy was great but I think Harrison was better. The thing that disapointed me was that we released Milloy right before camp opened the year we picked up Harrison and I was looking forward to seeing the hardest hitting safety tandem in the league that year only to see him released and signed by the Bills. I can't remember exactly but I thought the Pats wanted him to take a pay cut and he wouldnt. This McCourtey/Chung tandem could soon be similar to the Law/Milloy or Law/Harrison tandem. I'm guessing some people are gonna jump on me for saying that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Ty Law was one of my favorites. I liked his cocky attitude on the field. I wish he would have swallowed his prided and taken less $ to stay with the Pats, he bounced around the league for a few years and was never the same except one nice season in NY.
    His contract dispute w/BB upset me. The "I have to feed my kids" statement was stupid IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

In Response to Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?:
    Didn't we win like a buttload of titles with theses two as our primary secondary dudes?  Hmm...maybe it takes a baller secondary to have a stellar pass rushing front seven? Just saying.  Oh, and we have this guy called Vince Wilfork on the line, and a dude named Ty Warren returning this year. And some young talent on that D line, including this dude named Mike Wright, a former undrafted free agent.  Weird, the Steelers have this all pro who was also an undrafted free agent, think his name is Harris or something? But we missed the boat in not drafting a pass rusher this year, so, apples to apples.  Those unrafted free agents are pretty cool though cuz they play with a chip on their shoulder, which, I dunno, I think is pretty coo. But, I digress, I am totally worried about the pass rush. Like, seriously. Oh, and our coach and front office can't build a team, or draft worth beans. r/Fuuuuuu!!!!!
    Posted by aseletzky

How about: "does anybody remember Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborne?"  The best Patriots conerback tandem of all time.  They didn't win any SuperBowls because the Pats were too inconsistent on offense with Steve Grogan and Tony Eason at QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?:
    In Response to Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy? : How about: "does anybody remember Mike Haynes and Raymond Clayborne?"  The best Patriots conerback tandem of all time.  They didn't win any SuperBowls because the Pats were too inconsistent on offense with Steve Grogan and Tony Eason at QB.
    Posted by celtfan

Yes, I remember Haynes and Clayborne though I think Haynes was gone to the Raiders by time Eason showed up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

They really went on a run of 5'8" cbs, and then never properly trained them to turn around, or they just couldn't do it.

I guess Samuel's success made them change philosophy for a few years. Now we're back to physical cbs, yay

I still think Arrington is being underrated. He played like such a champ.

Gotta wonder if they'll be using some crazy db heavy formations this year.
    Posted by arodrambone

Gotta believe you're right. Remember when they had Arrington line up at defensive end? Pause the video when it starts and check out the formation. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81c4c9e1/McCourty-intercepts-Manning

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Does anybody remember Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy?:
    Posted by aseletzky

Those two guys weren't Belichick selactions. Just sayin'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Law was very good CB who fit what the Pats do brilliantly and he would hit.However,Haynes was among the elite CB's of all time.He had incredible man- up and spectacular ball skills.He was worth the price of admission,a great player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Ty was/is my favorite Pat of all time, when it became clear that he was gone after he got hurt in '04 I cried myself to sleep for weeks...Strong against the run, durable, physical but had the hips and top end speed to turn and run if he missed the jam...could play the slot, play on an island outside.  IMO with Bailey the best 2 corners in the league since Deion retired, just a tremendous player....Loved Lawyer as well, but he's not in the same category of player that Law was, in my opinion he's a 1st or 2nd ballot HOF player.  His 2003 season was absolutely dominating, and he always played his best in big games

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Lawyer was good, but he could not cover.

Rodney was much, much better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aseletzky. Show aseletzky's posts

Well, my pats history has been tested, and I failed. Completely forgot the release of Milloy after the first superbowl win. Maybe I blacked it out because I was so pi$$ed at the brass. The question I was fishing for is, does a solid pass rush make a good secondary, or does a good secondary make a solid pash rush?  We did have a solid secondary in most, if not all, of our superbowl wins right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Oh yeah we won our last Super Bowl with none of the two mentioned. Milloy was gone and Law was on IR. We won it that year with...street pick ups, a wide reciever and a little smoke, a little mirror annnnd.....a pass rush.
    Posted by mthurl

And the biggest choke ever by a coach and QB in the final minutes..... Ried didn't manage the clock well and McNabb nearly choked on his pukke.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

My favorites were:

CB
    Clayborn
    Law
    Haynes

Saftey
    Harrison

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I'll say right now that McCourty will be all of what Ty Law was and Chung will be the new Rodney if he can stay healthy.

And I say that being huge fans of the future HOF'ers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Lawyer was good, but he could not cover. Rodney was much, much better.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Neither one of them was good in coverage.  Rodney was like an extra linebacker focusing a lot on the run.

Sections
Shortcuts