Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?

With all the criticism and finger-pointing going on here, I think this fact is getting overlooked.

INARGUABLY the two Super Bowl games that the Patriots lost to the Giants would have (not COULD have) had an opposite outcome if only for SLIGHTLY different circumstances. I think we all know the memorable plays that could have gone the other way in these two games.

And I'm not talking about insanely hypothetical situations, like, "what if Eli got in a car accident before the game?" or, "what if Plaxico pulled up with a bum hamstring?".

Yes, our team has much room for improvement. Bill Belichick the GM has no doubt been very unkind to Bill Belichick the coach lately.

Imagine if the Pats HAD won all these Super Bowls. The feds would probably intervene and break up the team for being a monopoly! The level of hate towards Brady, Belichick, and the team in general would be astronomical!! And it almost happened!!!!

Okay.......................deep breath........................I'm rambling..........................uncontrollably.

But seriously, try to appreciate what we have here with the Patriots. And I'll try to remember that debating is fun, and agreeing with each other all the time is boring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?

The wins were close too...we could easily be 0-5 in the Super Bowls

Looking back, ill take 3-2...but because those 2 losses are so recent, it stings

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?:
    The wins were close too...we could easily be 0-5 in the Super Bowls Looking back, ill take 3-2...but because those 2 losses are so recent, it stings
    Posted by dapats1281

Exactly. Let's give some credit to Vinatieri.  Could easily have been 5-0 or 0-5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

How close? Two D FAILs on the final opponent drive close.

And you could throw in '06 as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One thing I notice throughout the NFL and college ball , is that it is becoming increasingly hard for any defense to stop the last minute drive. Not sure why , but is very noticeable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?:
    One thing I notice throughout the NFL and college ball , is that is becoming increasingly hard for any defense to stop the last minute drive. Not sure why , but is very noticeable.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Most of the time, matchups favor the offensive players...Look at how much bigger WRs usually are compared to their cb counterparts.
    Rules are geared for more offensive success.
    A lot of defense has to do with schemes. By the end of the game, offenses have seen what the defense is trying to do to them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

The wins were close too...we could easily be 0-5 in the Super Bowls Looking back, ill take 3-2...but because those 2 losses are so recent, it stings
    Posted by dapats1281

Dang it!! I was hoping no one would make this point! Way to ruin my entire observation!!! :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i always appreciate this team, they are in the mix every year and not many teams can say that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

does that mean the Buffalo Bills was the best team in the 90's since they were close to winning 4 superbowls?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Kinda bittersweet bringing this up. Isn't it? Fact is they are 3-2 and nothing will change it. It's the past, time to move on for next season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I appreciate the fact they made it to SEVEN SBs in my lifetime so far.  Only two other franshises match that.  Yes, we would love for the Pats to be 7 - 0 in SBs. Let's appreciate what we have not "what if" possible records if the ball bounced the Pats way better!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Kinda bittersweet bringing this up. Isn't it? Fact is they are 3-2 and nothing will change it. It's the past, time to move for next season.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Agreed. My point is that you would never know how good this franchise is by all the negativity that permeates this site. Just want to make sure our fans appreciate the last ten years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We appreciate them, but there's nothing wrong discussing what went wrong even if it seems negative.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Babe is right. 

Three last minute defensive collapses. 

The defense allowed the Giants to move the ball all day, control field position, time of possession. The contributed no turnovers. 

The busted wide open at the worst time. 

IT is, for what we have seen, this defense. Chalk them down to give up 22 points, and leave the offense playing from the five yard line half the time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

No, I do not appreciate that they might be 5-0. Because they aren't. I don't think a whole lot in "couldas"

I appreciate that they are competitive every year and play hard and that I can generally watch them in the playoffs. I appreciate they have won 3 SBs and even that they lost 2. But I don't appreciate what they aren't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Babe is right.  Three last minute defensive collapses.  The defense allowed the Giants to move the ball all day, control field position, time of possession. The contributed no turnovers.  The busted wide open at the worst time.  IT is, for what we have seen, this defense. Chalk them down to give up 22 points, and leave the offense playing from the five yard line half the time. 
    Posted by zbellino

Yeah, but the offense could have locked up the win Sunday night on that drive before NYG scored. Quit busting on the defense. They didn't cause the safety, commit turnovers, or drop passes.                     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : Yeah, but the offense could have locked up the win Sunday night on that drive before NYG scored. Quit busting on the defense. They didn't cause the safety, commit turnovers, or drop passes.                     
    Posted by kansaspatriot

But...but....but.....but..... why couldn't the DEFENSE bail out the offense for once in a BIG game and hold the other team to preserve the win?  It is not like the Pats O was facing a horrible D that was letting them have their way. Yes, the offense came up short, but the defense came up shorter at a time it could have stepped up BIG TIME!!  Does it always have to be the fault of the offense for not scoring more?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : But...but....but.....but..... why couldn't the DEFENSE bail out the offense for once in a BIG game and hold the other team to preserve the win?  It is not like the Pats O was facing a horrible D that was letting them have their way. Yes, the offense came up short, but the defense came up shorter at a time it could have stepped up BIG TIME!!  Does it always have to be the fault of the offense for not scoring more?
    Posted by agcsbill

I guess you didn't watch the Ravens game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : But...but....but.....but..... why couldn't the DEFENSE bail out the offense for once in a BIG game and hold the other team to preserve the win?  It is not like the Pats O was facing a horrible D that was letting them have their way. Yes, the offense came up short, but the defense came up shorter at a time it could have stepped up BIG TIME!!  Does it always have to be the fault of the offense for not scoring more?
    Posted by agcsbill

When the D has been on the field for 36 minutes already (yes, mostly their own fault) then the offense really has to keep the chains moving and the clock ticking on that drive. They had the opportunity, but didn't. Not saying the D was any better, but it isn't like the offense knew the D wasn't gassed and not great to start with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : I guess you didn't watch the Ravens game.
    Posted by IrishMob7

I did.. they made some plays but for a wide left FG attempt.  I consider a stop in which the other team has NO opportunity to get ahead or tie.  In both games it would have been nice to see the O take a bunch of knees due to a defensive stop to preserve a win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : I did.. they made some plays but for a wide left FG attempt.  I consider a stop in which the other team has NO opportunity to get ahead or tie.  In both games it would have been nice to see the O take a bunch of knees due to a defensive stop to preserve a win.
    Posted by agcsbill

Yeah, they get halvsies on that one. Great defense to stop the winning TD, but still allowed enough yardage for a tying FG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : Yeah, they get halvsies on that one. Great defense to stop the winning TD, but still allowed enough yardage for a tying FG.
    Posted by EnochRoot

That's my point.  We shouldn't all be on pins and needles as we see the opponents offense creep ever closer to tie or go ahead in a game.  See the D keep the opponent on their side of the 50, making them go for it on 4th and stop them cold, not even let them get a sniff at a score.  Offense then preserves the win by taking a bunch of knees with no chance for the opponent to get it back.  We've seen a lot of that in years past.. not so much lately, which is unnerving.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001? : That's my point.  We shouldn't all be on pins and needles as we see the opponents offense creep ever closer to tie or go ahead in a game.  See the D keep the opponent on their side of the 50, making them go for it on 4th and stop them cold, not even let them get a sniff at a score.  Offense then preserves the win by taking a bunch of knees with no chance for the opponent to get it back.  We've seen a lot of that in years past.. not so much lately, which is unnerving.
    Posted by agcsbill

That's fair. But in defense of the Defense, Brady put them in that situation with a moronic interception, two to be exact (in the Ravens game). Spikes comes up with a huge interception to swing all of the momentum to the Pats and all the O has to do is move the chains and run some clock. What does Brady do? He throws into triple coverage the very next play for an interception. The defense is the primary reason for us even getting past the Ravens and into the Super Bowl.

The two sides of the ball need to work cohesively. Yes, the defense let the Giants have a lot of TOP but that also falls into the fault of the Offense. Brady gets called for a safety after the 1st play of the drive and then tosses up a stupid, stupid interception on first down. He has to have some accountability for why the Giants dominated TOP.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Does anyone appreciate how close the Pats are to 5-0 in the Super Bowl since 2001?:
    With all the criticism and finger-pointing going on here, I think this fact is getting overlooked. INARGUABLY the two Super Bowl games that the Patriots lost to the Giants would have (not COULD have) had an opposite outcome if only for SLIGHTLY different circumstances. I think we all know the memorable plays that could have gone the other way in these two games. And I'm not talking about insanely hypothetical situations, like, "what if Eli got in a car accident before the game?" or, "what if Plaxico pulled up with a bum hamstring?". Yes, our team has much room for improvement. Bill Belichick the GM has no doubt been very unkind to Bill Belichick the coach lately. Imagine if the Pats HAD won all these Super Bowls. The feds would probably intervene and break up the team for being a monopoly! The level of hate towards Brady, Belichick, and the team in general would be astronomical!! And it almost happened!!!! Okay.......................deep breath........................I'm rambling..........................uncontrollably. But seriously, try to appreciate what we have here with the Patriots. And I'll try to remember that debating is fun, and agreeing with each other all the time is boring.
    Posted by IndianaPatsFan

I'm cool with it.  We got past the first playoff game, got by the Ravens, and almost took the Lombardi home.  We didn't, but I know the 3 times we did we had A LOT of luck as well as good play.  It's hard because the Giants did it to us the same way twice, and they are sort of running off at the mouth about it.  But I think we reload, move forward, and get back next year.  I don't think the Giants will, they seem to come up for air every 4 years or so.  

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts